More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Hal Hartley

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Anonymous

Hal Hartley Empty
PostSubject: Hal Hartley   Hal Hartley EmptyMon Nov 28, 2011 4:57 pm

Whatever happened to Hal Hartley? In the 1990s he looked like becoming a big-time director. Then he seemed to drop off the map altogether.

I ask because for a while Henry Fool (1997) was one of my favourite films yet I've only just found out there was a low-key sequel released 10 years later, Fay Grim. Guess I tuned out for a while.

Anyone here see it?

Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

Hal Hartley Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hal Hartley   Hal Hartley EmptyMon Nov 28, 2011 5:05 pm

Never a fan of Hartley. I consider him one of the "poseur directors" - along with Todd Haynes, Quentin Tarantino and Gus Van Sant. He had a film called MEANWHILE that came out last year, with not much exposure. You can watch the trailer and buy the DVD here:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/260302407/meanwhile

Quote :
I want to release a limited edition DVD of my new film, Meanwhile. You can pre-buy this DVD by pledging $25 or more, or even just $10 for the CD, or both for $35, and so on. There are other fun rewards for pledging more and they're best explained over there on the right hand side of this page.

Many of you have written in the past months asking about Meanwhile. Thanks for your interest and patience.

It's like this: though I set out to make a one-hour featurette, like my earlier films Surviving Desire (1992) or The Book of Life (1998), by the time I was done I thought I ought to present it as the pilot for a mini-series. Everyone seemed to think this was a great idea (television being the future of filmmaking and all...) and I had some genuine interest from television companies.

However, finally, it seems Meanwhile (the series) just isn't what the television industry requires at the moment. But I'm very proud of this one hour film and I'm certain that people who follow what I do will dig it. My friend and collaborator of many years, DJ Mendel, gives an outstanding performance as Joe Fulton—the hardest working unsuccessful over-achiever in New York.

This will be in both North American and overseas formats. So wherever you are, we'll have a DVD for you!

Thanks for your continued interest in my work. More soon.

Sincerely,

Hal

Watch the trailer at:
http://www.possiblefilms.com/2011/11/meanwhile-trailer/

Back to top Go down
Anonymous

Hal Hartley Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hal Hartley   Hal Hartley EmptyMon Nov 28, 2011 5:12 pm

Bloody hell, didn't realise things had got that bad.

Directors who disappear - like Alex Cox or Tony Kaye - usually do so because they have an expensive flop behind them. Not aware that ever happened to Hartley. Then again, seems his later works struggled to even get a release in my neck of the woods.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Hal Hartley Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hal Hartley   Hal Hartley Empty

Back to top Go down

Hal Hartley
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bond And Beyond :: Beyond :: Film News & Film Discussion-
Jump to: