More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Favourite Openings

Go down 
+10
saint mark
The White Tuxedo
FourDot
Control
lachesis
Santa
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Blunt Instrument
Makeshift Python
Largo's Shark
14 posters
AuthorMessage
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

Favourite Openings Empty
PostSubject: Favourite Openings   Favourite Openings EmptyWed Dec 21, 2011 10:06 am

No, this isn't a spiritual successor to James Bond's best tits.

What are your all time favourite openings of any film? I'm not talking about main titles here since we've already got a thread for that, but prologues count.

Kubrick's 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY has to be one of the most daring. A pitch black screen lasting for several minutes with just Ligeti's Atmosphéres blaring through the speaker cones. Referenced later by Spielberg and Williams in CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND. Because in this age where the idea of an overture is practically antediluvian, people forget about this, and think 2001 starts with Strauss's Also Sprach Zarathustra and the shot of the earth in the sun's shadow.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

Favourite Openings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favourite Openings   Favourite Openings EmptyWed Dec 21, 2011 10:12 am

Favorite? Tough. It certainly isn't MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE III's.

I do like Goldfinger's PTS. I think Hamilton was on the mark on making an unrelated mini-adventure that would sum up the entire film.
Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

Favourite Openings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favourite Openings   Favourite Openings EmptyWed Dec 21, 2011 10:18 am

The opening of A New Hope ... from the Fox logo and fanfare to the Star Destroyer rumbling into view, it doesn't put a foot wrong. Brilliant.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

Favourite Openings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favourite Openings   Favourite Openings EmptyWed Dec 21, 2011 11:34 am

I really liked the opening to The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. The entire sequence of the grief stricken man working on a clock that ultimately ticks backwards foreshadows the story of Ben Button. A life of love and death, good and bad and moments of spontaneity and the unexpected. It's all conveyed so well.

Back to top Go down
Santa
Q Branch
Q Branch
Santa

Favourite Openings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favourite Openings   Favourite Openings EmptyWed Dec 21, 2011 12:04 pm

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.
Back to top Go down
lachesis
Head of Station
Head of Station
lachesis

Favourite Openings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favourite Openings   Favourite Openings EmptyWed Dec 21, 2011 12:17 pm

A Touch of Evil, has that great extended shot following the bomb, I love the way that once planted it's sort of downplayed against everything else thats going on till you hear the dollybird complaining about hearing ticking etc.

Close Encounters (my favorite Spielberg) has that neat collection of 'psudo sightings' that sort of roll you into the mood in a gentle manner, you never really see anything but the anticipation is nicely baited.

The aforementioned Godlfinger is also one of my favourites, it packs so much into the few minutes it plays, style, action storyline are all there in spades....and Moonraker likewise has both a terrific special effects sequences stealing the shuttle then the breathtaking ariel antics, just too bad about the circus =/

Batman Returns has the birth of the Penguin done in pure operatic style, I know Danny Elfman can overuse his choral motifs but this is a deliciously appropriate deployment here.

I'm probably forgetting some real corkers., but my favourite openings are more related to establishing style and mood than delivering aderenalin or story.
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

Favourite Openings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favourite Openings   Favourite Openings EmptyWed Dec 21, 2011 12:59 pm

CARRIE has a gorgeous opening.
Back to top Go down
FourDot
'R'
'R'
FourDot

Favourite Openings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favourite Openings   Favourite Openings EmptyWed Dec 21, 2011 1:03 pm

Star Wars is still the one that always comes to mind. A terrifically arresting first shot, as well as the great fanfare that precedes it.
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

Favourite Openings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favourite Openings   Favourite Openings EmptyWed Dec 21, 2011 3:36 pm

Mr. Brown wrote:
CARRIE has a gorgeous opening.

Several, in fact.
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

Favourite Openings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favourite Openings   Favourite Openings EmptyWed Dec 21, 2011 11:34 pm

My favorite belongs to ex-Mrs. De Palma.
Back to top Go down
saint mark
Head of Station
Head of Station
saint mark

Favourite Openings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favourite Openings   Favourite Openings EmptyWed Dec 21, 2011 11:42 pm

I like Raiders with the paramount logo turning into a real mountain.
Back to top Go down
FourDot
'R'
'R'
FourDot

Favourite Openings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favourite Openings   Favourite Openings EmptyWed Dec 21, 2011 11:51 pm

Wouldn't the curtains have been drawn for 2001, rather than a pitch-black screen shown? But the idea of an overture in that day and age is hardly daring.

The only overture I can think of that has accompanying images is West Side Story.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

Favourite Openings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favourite Openings   Favourite Openings EmptyWed Dec 21, 2011 11:59 pm

FourDot wrote:
The only overture I can think of that has accompanying images is West Side Story.

Didn't BEN HUR?
Back to top Go down
saint mark
Head of Station
Head of Station
saint mark

Favourite Openings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favourite Openings   Favourite Openings EmptyThu Dec 22, 2011 12:16 am

FourDot wrote:
Wouldn't the curtains have been drawn for 2001, rather than a pitch-black screen shown? But the idea of an overture in that day and age is hardly daring.

Didn't Lawrence of Arabia?
Back to top Go down
FourDot
'R'
'R'
FourDot

Favourite Openings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favourite Openings   Favourite Openings EmptyThu Dec 22, 2011 12:31 am

A lot of these films that had images added onto the overture for home video, to prevent people from thinking that their machine was busted.

I think it was more common for the overture to play with the curtains drawn. I could be wrong, but I do know that when you see a still image over an overture for a lot of these older films, it's been added for the video release (and preserved for the DVD, frustratingly.)

For instance, with Ben-Hur, I'm pretty sure that the first image you're supposed to see is the static MGM logo.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

Favourite Openings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favourite Openings   Favourite Openings EmptyThu Dec 22, 2011 12:33 am

Either way, 2001 is only film I've got that doesn't have a title card telling me it's the overture. That's something at least.
Back to top Go down
FourDot
'R'
'R'
FourDot

Favourite Openings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favourite Openings   Favourite Openings EmptyThu Dec 22, 2011 12:36 am

Well, it's a testament to Kubrick's stature that home video companies can be bothered preserving his original theatrical intent.

And yet they still manage to botch things like the Barry Lyndon aspect ratio.
Back to top Go down
tiffanywint
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
tiffanywint

Favourite Openings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favourite Openings   Favourite Openings EmptyThu Dec 22, 2011 2:33 am

my three favourite openings.

DAF, GF and TB

Honorable mention to Planet of the Apes (1968)
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

Favourite Openings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favourite Openings   Favourite Openings EmptyThu Dec 22, 2011 4:32 pm

Wrath of Khan for the "The 23rd Century" tag before we hear the sounds of the bridge and Horner's theme fading away.

God knows about anything else.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
FG Wells
Universal Exports
Universal Exports
FG Wells

Favourite Openings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favourite Openings   Favourite Openings EmptyThu Dec 22, 2011 9:12 pm

Black Narcissus and North by Northwet-as great title sequences.

Curiously enough, I actually find the opening shot of Goldeneye to be quite impressive. But of course FRWL, OHMSS, TSWLM, and MR as well.

The Back to the Future clock sequence is also a favorite

Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

Favourite Openings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favourite Openings   Favourite Openings EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 6:23 am

Rewatched the Lion King this year - the first time I'd seen it since I was about 5 or 6. Really is a magnificent film, and the opening sequence is just brilliant.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

Favourite Openings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favourite Openings   Favourite Openings EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 7:42 pm

Oppers, Rave and Dog.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

Favourite Openings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favourite Openings   Favourite Openings EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 7:45 pm

Red October

the coldness of the inlet, the camera on Connery, how noise gradually creeps in, the Russian hymn, Neill's words and the zoom out to show Red October herself.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
MBalje
Q Branch
Q Branch
MBalje

Favourite Openings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favourite Openings   Favourite Openings EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 8:30 pm

The lion king (The circle of life)
Mission Impossible 2. In my opnion this movie have 2 openings, the part after the 30 seconds of maintitle too in Argintina.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Favourite Openings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favourite Openings   Favourite Openings Empty

Back to top Go down

Favourite Openings
Page 1 of 1