These forums may contain mild adult content and are not associated with EON, Sony or any other companies and do not reflect their views.

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Last documentary you watched?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Ravenstone
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Last documentary you watched?   Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:04 am

The Dark Charisma of Adolf HItler

I recorded them to watch in more detail, but - unusually for Laurence Rees - it didn't seem that intriguing.
Back to top Go down
Loomis
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Last documentary you watched?   Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:00 am

EVERYTHING OR NOTHING: THE UNTOLD STORY OF 007 (2012, directed by Stevan Riley). Excellent.
Back to top Go down
Loomis
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Last documentary you watched?   Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:22 am

JIRO DREAMS OF SUSHI (2011, directed by David Gelb). The life and times of one of Japan's most revered sushi masters, the 85-year-old Jiro Ono, proprietor of a Tokyo subway station restaurant that seats ten and boasts three Michelin stars. A slightly pretentious documentary but absorbing nonetheless.
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Last documentary you watched?   Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:17 pm

I'm watching this at the moment.

Back to top Go down
Loomis
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Last documentary you watched?   Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:54 am

SHINE A LIGHT (2008, directed by Martin Scorsese). What starts out as a fly-on-the-wall rockumentary of a legendary and idiosyncratic band on tour (SPINAL TAP for real, if you will) swiftly becomes a straight concert film of the Rolling Stones performing to a small and star-studded crowd (comprising the likes of Bill Clinton and Bruce Willis) at a benefit show in Manhattan. While there's no denying the still-impressive musicianship of Keith Richards, Charlie Watts and Ronnie Wood, the enduring appeal of some of their songs and the frankly phenomenal energy and showmanship of Mick Jagger (63 at the time), it's telling that Scorsese chooses every so often to cut away to brief clips of old television interviews of the Stones in their prime. It's not entirely clear why he does this - is it to provide a potted history of the band (as though some viewers may be wondering how long these fellas have been at it - was it maybe some time in the 1980s that they first made it big?), or merely to break the monotony? Is it to show how much the Stones have changed across the decades or how little? Is it just to celebrate the fact that these guys have being doing their thing for a preposterously long time? Whatever the reasons, this footage of yesteryear is more compelling and resonant than anything else in SHINE A LIGHT and makes one wish that Scorsese had made a documentary about the Stones along the lines of the one that he went on to make about George Harrison. As it stands, SHINE A LIGHT is watchable - and, more crucially, listenable - enough, although, as a no-frills concert movie that occasionally seems poised to veer off into more interesting territory without ever really doing so, it falls some way short of providing full, erm, satisfaction.

THE SHOCK DOCTRINE (2009, directed by Mat Whitecross and Michael Winterbottom). Naomi Klein takes on so-called disaster capitalism. Interesting and thought-provoking, with some excellent use of archive footage, yet also a somewhat heavyhanded and extremely one-sided affair that also seems too short to fully explore the various issues it raises.
Back to top Go down
Loomis
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Last documentary you watched?   Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:08 am

THE STONE ROSES: MADE OF STONE (2013, directed by Shane Meadows). An essential watch for Roses fans like myself, but what others will make of it I've no idea. May well have one of the most extraordinary opening shots in cinema history.
Back to top Go down
Loomis
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Last documentary you watched?   Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:14 pm

JOY DIVISION (2007, directed by Grant Gee). A poignant and absorbing look at the brief career of one of the best British bands of the 1970s.
Back to top Go down
Control
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Last documentary you watched?   Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:29 am

Sarah Polley's THE STORIES WE TELL

I didn't know that broad from Zack Snyder's DAWN OF THE DEAD remake was a documentary director. And not a bad one, either.

Quite an engaging documentary detailing the discovery of the director's biological father and an interesting analysis of how and why humans tell stories.
Back to top Go down
Loomis
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Last documentary you watched?   Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:06 pm

CROSSFIRE HURRICANE (2012, directed by Brett Morgen). The Rolling Stones' career is given a fiftieth anniversary celebration with this absorbing documentary (produced by the band) stuffed with fascinating archive footage that makes this as much a slice of social history as a look at these rock legends. Regrettably, though, pretty short shrift is given to much of the band's doings after the turn of the 1980s - okay, so most of their best music was made in the 1960s and 1970s, but the 1980s and beyond presumably saw them become bigger than ever (and bigger than just about anyone ever) as a live act and I wish the film showed more of the Stones' modern era. Still, this makes a fine cinematic companion to Philip Norman's excellent biography The Stones.
Back to top Go down
retrokitty

PostSubject: Re: Last documentary you watched?   Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:52 pm

Thanks for the recommendations, Loomis. Love the Stones - and their lifestyle and history almost as much as the music.

You're right about the later years too. Very interesting how they outdid so many modern bands in arena tickets. And the energy... Yikes.
Back to top Go down
Agent007391
Correspondent
Correspondent

PostSubject: Re: Last documentary you watched?   Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:18 am

Any American TV viewers, I need help. I was watching a JFK documentary on the History Channel a week before the 22nd. I've been trying to remember the title, but have drawn a blank. If anybody remembers what this documentary was, you'd be doing me a service. It was on at about eight PM. It was a really good documentary, too.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Last documentary you watched?   

Back to top Go down

Last documentary you watched?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bond And Beyond :: Beyond :: Film News & Film Discussion-
Jump to: