More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Oscar Nominations 2012

Go down 
+17
Makeshift Python
bitchcraft
Harmsway
GeneralGogol
Largo's Shark
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Loomis
6of1
Hilly
Louis Armstrong
Vesper
Control
Jack Wade
Gravity's Silhouette
j7wild
bondfan06
The White Tuxedo
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

Oscar Nominations 2012 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oscar Nominations 2012   Oscar Nominations 2012 - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 12:51 am

I can already see Oprah crying whenever THE HELP is mentioned at the ceremony, or whenever THE HELP wins an award.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Oscar Nominations 2012   Oscar Nominations 2012 - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 12:54 am

I wish Ol' Armond would turn up to insult everyone, and tell them they should have been retroactively aborted. He's great at that.
Back to top Go down
bitchcraft
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
bitchcraft

PostSubject: Re: Oscar Nominations 2012   Oscar Nominations 2012 - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 1:23 am

Spike Lee deserves an oscar for bitching and moaning about black people and Hollywood...

Oscar Nominations 2012 - Page 2 Oscar-the-grouch-profile
Back to top Go down
Jack Wade
Head of Station
Head of Station
Jack Wade

PostSubject: Re: Oscar Nominations 2012   Oscar Nominations 2012 - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 4:06 am

Vesper wrote:
Melissa McCarthy? laugh For what was pretty much an extended SNL gag? laugh
Regardless, I thought she was a riot. Fat women pooping and farting is always hilarious.

j7wild wrote:
I still don't understand why there are 10 Best Picture nominations now!!

So why not 10 for each of the other categories too?
The reason why you probably don't fucking believe it is because there are nine nominations this year, not 10.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Oscar Nominations 2012   Oscar Nominations 2012 - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 4:39 am

Louis Armstrong wrote:
Quote :
MONEYBALL
Haha, that's such a terrible title. You can't tell that it's about baseball just by reading the title. Fake word doesn't even sound like "baseball."

I look forward to the sequels (about basketball, football and volleyball, respectively):

MONEYBALL 2
MONEYBALL 3
MONEYBALL: MONEY NEVER SLEEPS

First time I heard the title I thought it was about someone winning the lottery.
Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Oscar Nominations 2012   Oscar Nominations 2012 - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 4:50 am

Bolded the ones I would like to see win.

Quote :
BEST PICTURE
War Horse
The Tree of Life
The Artist
Moneyball
The Descendants
Midnight in Paris
The Help
Hugo
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

BEST DIRECTOR
Michel Hazanavicius - The Artist
Alexander Payne - The Descendants
Hugo - Martin Scorsese
Midnight in Paris - Woody Allen
Terrence Malick - The Tree of Life

BEST ACTOR
Jean Dujardin - The Artist
Demian Bichir - A Better Life
Brad Pitt - Moneyball
George Clooney - The Descendants
Gary Oldman - Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

BEST ACTRESS
Glenn Close - Albert Nobbs
Viola Davis - The Help
Rooney Mara - The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Meryl Streep - The Iron Lady
Michelle Williams - My Week With Marilyn

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Berenice Bejo - The Artist
Jessica Chastain - The Help
Melissa McCarthy - Bridesmaids
Janet McTeer - Albert Nobbs
Octavia Spencer - The Help

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY
The Artist
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Hugo
The Tree of Life
War Horse

BEST SOUND MIXING
Hugo
Moneyball
Transformers: Dark of the Moon
War Horse

BEST SOUND EDITING
Drive
Hugo
War Horse

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE
The Adventures of Tintin
The Artist
Hugo
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
War Horse

BEST COSTUMES (once again the Oscars love period costumes :eyes: )
Anonymous
The Artist
Hugo
Jane Eyre
W.E.

BEST FILM EDITING
The Artist
The Descendants
Hugo
Moneyball

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2
Hugo
Real Steel
Rise of the Planet of the Apes

I have a feeling the studio paid the Academy to include Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, because it's unbelievable that a film that got such bad reviews would get the spot while something like The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is snubbed. Then again David Fincher did predict last month that his film wouldn't get nominated just for anal rape alone.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Oscar Nominations 2012   Oscar Nominations 2012 - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 4:53 am

What's so great about Howard Shore's Hugo? TINKER TAILOR and WAR HORSE are much more compelling to my ears.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Oscar Nominations 2012   Oscar Nominations 2012 - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 4:56 am

Haven't heard TINKER TAILOR. WAR HORSE is fine, but it didn't move me like Shore's score.
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: Oscar Nominations 2012   Oscar Nominations 2012 - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 11:22 am

Yeah, I found the score to HUGO to be pretty forgettable. I didn't even realize it was Shore until now.

Personally, I'm pulling for THE TREE OF LIFE to win Best Picture and Terrence Malick to win Best Director. It's not my favorite film of the year by a long shot, but I find it far and away to be the most interesting and ambitious of the Best Picture nominees.

And if there were justice in the world, Gary Oldman would take home Best Actor.
Back to top Go down
jet set willy
'R'
'R'
jet set willy

PostSubject: Re: Oscar Nominations 2012   Oscar Nominations 2012 - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 12:43 pm

Harmsway wrote:
Yeah, I found the score to HUGO to be pretty forgettable. I didn't even realize it was Shore until now.

Personally, I'm pulling for THE TREE OF LIFE to win Best Picture and Terrence Malick to win Best Director. It's not my favorite film of the year by a long shot, but I find it far and away to be the most interesting and ambitious of the Best Picture nominees.

And if there were justice in the world, Gary Oldman would take home Best Actor.
Agreed. I'd love to see Oldamn win it. I also would like to see Moneyball win Best Picture.

I wrote an article on the Brits reaction to the Oscars - http://www.filmnav.co.uk/2012/01/24/brits-reaction-to-the-oscars/
Back to top Go down
http://www.filmnav.co.uk
dr. strangelove
'R'
'R'
dr. strangelove

PostSubject: Re: Oscar Nominations 2012   Oscar Nominations 2012 - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 1:10 pm

The lack of nominations for Drive and Girl with the Dragon Tattoo are a bit surprising, as is the inclusion of Pitt and Hill for Moneyball (as well as it's best picture nod).

I could tell from the beginning that The Help seemed liked PC Oscar-bait, but is it actually worth watching? To me, it looks like some shitty Hallmark Channel movie...
Back to top Go down
j7wild
Head of Station
Head of Station
j7wild

PostSubject: Re: Oscar Nominations 2012   Oscar Nominations 2012 - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 1:16 pm

dr. strangelove wrote:
The lack of nominations for Drive and Girl with the Dragon Tattoo are a bit surprising, as is the inclusion of Pitt and Hill for Moneyball (as well as it's best picture nod).

I could tell from the beginning that The Help seemed liked PC Oscar-bait, but is it actually worth watching? To me, it looks like some shitty Hallmark Channel movie...

yeah, like that POS winner from 2009 named PRECIOUS.

what has the director and the supporting actress winner done since then?

NOTHING worth writing about!!
Back to top Go down
Jack Wade
Head of Station
Head of Station
Jack Wade

PostSubject: Re: Oscar Nominations 2012   Oscar Nominations 2012 - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 4:34 pm

dr. strangelove wrote:
The Academy has never really been all that enamored with Fincher, it seems. As for Moneyball, I loved it, and Brad Pitt deserves recognition, but I don't know about Jonah Hill. He did something slightly out of his comfort zone and he did it really well, but I don't know that he did it that well.

Quote :
It's not worth watching.

All that said, I, too, will be pulling for Tree of Life. Or Midnight in Paris. Futile, as neither has a shot of topping The Artist, but they would be much more interesting choices nonetheless.
Back to top Go down
jet set willy
'R'
'R'
jet set willy

PostSubject: Re: Oscar Nominations 2012   Oscar Nominations 2012 - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 4:40 pm

Brad Pitt was superb in Moneyball, doing his best impersonation of Robert Redford.

The flm reminded me a lot of Social Network in its style.
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Gravity's Silhouette

PostSubject: Re: Oscar Nominations 2012   Oscar Nominations 2012 - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 5:06 pm

Jack Wade wrote:

The reason why you probably don't fucking believe it is because there are nine nominations this year, not 10.

I didn't even notice that. So they couldn't find 10 worthy pictures this year? They couldn't have at least thrown a bone to 'Dragon Tattoo' or Drive? What's the point of having 10 spots if you don't fill them all?

The Oscars are even worse than the Golden Globes now. No wonder people are tuning both shows out in droves.
Back to top Go down
jet set willy
'R'
'R'
jet set willy

PostSubject: Re: Oscar Nominations 2012   Oscar Nominations 2012 - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 6:37 pm

Gravity's Silhouette wrote:
Jack Wade wrote:

I didn't even notice that. So they couldn't find 10 worthy pictures this year? They couldn't have at least thrown a bone to 'Dragon Tattoo' or Drive? What's the point of having 10 spots if you don't fill them all?

The Oscars are even worse than the Golden Globes now. No wonder people are tuning both shows out in droves.
And not even 1 single British film made it in to this Top 9. I thought Tinker Tailor would.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Oscar Nominations 2012   Oscar Nominations 2012 - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 8:45 pm

Jack Wade wrote:

Agreed. Putting out 9 when there could be 10 is pretty insulting to many worthy candidates that deserve a spot on there than some of the actual nine.
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Gravity's Silhouette

PostSubject: Re: Oscar Nominations 2012   Oscar Nominations 2012 - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 8:55 pm

Makeshift Python wrote:
Jack Wade wrote:

Agreed. Putting out 9 when there could be 10 is pretty insulting to many worthy candidates that deserve a spot on there than some of the actual nine.

Plus, based upon some of the reviews I've read, it seems as if the Academy is rewarding "stars" like Hanks, Bullock, and Spielberg even though their respective films weren't particularly good.

The thing about having 5 nominees for any of these categories was that, while some very worthy candidates were always going to not get nominated, you were assured that all five nominees were the best of the best. Now with 10 slots open the category is not only too wide, but it's also insulting when you don't actually fill all ten slots. I'd say five of those nominees could be considered great, with the other four seeming like "filler".

Instead of increasing the slots for Best Picture, the academy should create newer categories. Andy Serkis has turned in 3 of the most memorable performances on the screen in the past 10 years, and he's gotten ZERO nominations for it because the Academy is too old and rigid.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Oscar Nominations 2012   Oscar Nominations 2012 - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 9:46 pm

I'd say WAR HORSE deserves the nod, then again I haven't seen that many GREAT films this year. I just filled the top of my netflix Q with the titles available on DVD that I haven't seen so I guess I'll find out.

I think having ten slots is fine, but like you said they should fill them all otherwise it's a pretty useless. it looks like that EXTREMELY LOUD AND INCREDIBLY CLOSE is this year's THE READER, something nobody gave a shit about but the Academy had to chuck it in there despite the negative reviews. Why? Fuck if I know.

Just fire everyone in the Academy I say.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Oscar Nominations 2012   Oscar Nominations 2012 - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 10:59 pm

My main problem with democracy is that actors get to vote.
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Oscar Nominations 2012   Oscar Nominations 2012 - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 26, 2012 12:09 am

Quote :
Vat izz ze doggy called? Faggot.

--Sharky on THE ARTIST

laugh laugh laugh
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: Oscar Nominations 2012   Oscar Nominations 2012 - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 26, 2012 12:17 am

Well, it's not like they sit down and decide as a community with a big conversation. It's based on how the votes are cast, and if a film reaches a certain percentage of votes, it gets to make it into the category. It's a stupid system, I agree, but it's not like they were in a position to "throw a bone," as it were.
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: Oscar Nominations 2012   Oscar Nominations 2012 - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 26, 2012 12:24 am

Maybe I'm cynical. I like marvelling at bullshit. Hence I enjoy the Oscars. It just sums up my whole view of Hollywood.
Back to top Go down
saint mark
Head of Station
Head of Station
saint mark

PostSubject: Re: Oscar Nominations 2012   Oscar Nominations 2012 - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 26, 2012 12:38 am

I prefer it that the industry votes themsleves, if I see the voting done on Amazon.com by trolls I think the industry does it better. not perfect mind you.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Oscar Nominations 2012   Oscar Nominations 2012 - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 26, 2012 12:41 am

The problem with the industry voting is that it just becomes one big Bukkake fest. Let the people decide, not Harvey Weinstein.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Oscar Nominations 2012   Oscar Nominations 2012 - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Oscar Nominations 2012
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bond And Beyond :: Beyond :: Film News & Film Discussion-
Jump to: