These forums may contain mild adult content and are not associated with EON, Sony or any other companies and do not reflect their views.
 
HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 
 

 Last Movie you Watched?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Hilly KCMG
Moderator
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 5395
Member Since : 2010-05-13
Location : Buckinghamshire

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:13 pm

The White Tuxedo wrote:

Hilly wrote:
Jurassic Park III

Haven't seen those in a decade, but JPIII automatically fails because it's more fun to watch Jeff Goldblum react to dinosaurs than it is to watch Sam Neill react to dinosaurs.

Had he been alive, it should have been JURASSIC PARK III: BOB PECK KILLS DINOSAURS and be about Muldoon's twin brother, also called Muldoon, avenging his brother's death by going to the island and killing every single dinosaur on it. And getting Laura Dern.

It'd be like DEATH WISH, with dinosaurs.

one day the Neill legend shall be appreciated.

As it is supposedly, from what I read, Goldblum was going to do the film but broke something and recommended it to Sam Neill.

Best hope for your sake Goldblum returns as well as Dern [and Neill] for IV.

Though your Death Wish with dinosaurs titilates. Sounds like this Primeval nonsense we have here. Depressing really.
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 2801
Member Since : 2011-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:43 pm

Sharky wrote:
Shostakovitch is NOT one of the great composers, by any means.
False.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 6800
Member Since : 2011-03-14
Location : Up

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:52 pm

Point Break (1991)



Never saw it before til now. Fun movie. Keanu is Keanu, entertainingly bad and other parts like a dose of valium. I never cared for Swayze, but he's got presence and worked well here. I'm still not going to see DIRTY DANCING. Nice to see some real stunts happening, although Keanu's "skydiving" sticks out like a sore thumb. It's just him flailing his arms in the air with a blow dryer in front of his face. laugh

My only complaint? Not enough Busey. Seriously. At least he gets some nice moments though laugh http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YS_6mR82eQk#t=47s
Back to top Go down
dr. strangelove
Experienced Correspondent
Experienced Correspondent
avatar

Posts : 447
Member Since : 2011-03-20
Location : Chicago

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:16 pm

Sharky wrote:
Shostakovitch is NOT one of the great composers, by any means. Prokofiev s***s him out for breakfast.

"Ugh..."




I could never really get too excited about Prokofiev, myself.
Back to top Go down
FieldsMan
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 4052
Member Since : 2010-05-13
Location : The Alpine Room

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:24 am

Gangs of New York

Second time watching it. Scorsese is brilliant. I've seen Casino and The Departed, and he's a bloody good director. Daniel Day Lewis is absolutely superb as the villain. Leo probably turns in his best performance to date, as does Cameron Diaz. Great cameos by Liam Neeson, Brendan Gleeson and John C. Reilly (I'm starting to appreciate him as an actor. Not the best, but certainly not the worst). The score is mostly good, but there is some zest missing in some tracks. For that, coupled with the occasional slip of an accent by Leo and Cameron, I give this a 9.5/10.

Oh, and some nice shots too!

Scorsese-o-metre
Casino
Gangs of New York
The Departed

Aching to check out The Goodfellas, The Aviator, Hugo and Shutter Island.
Back to top Go down
lachesis
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 1586
Member Since : 2011-09-20
Location : Nottingahm, UK

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:44 am

Hilly wrote:
The White Tuxedo wrote:

Hilly wrote:
Jurassic Park III

Haven't seen those in a decade, but JPIII automatically fails because it's more fun to watch Jeff Goldblum react to dinosaurs than it is to watch Sam Neill react to dinosaurs.

Had he been alive, it should have been JURASSIC PARK III: BOB PECK KILLS DINOSAURS and be about Muldoon's twin brother, also called Muldoon, avenging his brother's death by going to the island and killing every single dinosaur on it. And getting Laura Dern.

It'd be like DEATH WISH, with dinosaurs.

one day the Neill legend shall be appreciated.

As it is supposedly, from what I read, Goldblum was going to do the film but broke something and recommended it to Sam Neill.

Best hope for your sake Goldblum returns as well as Dern [and Neill] for IV.

Though your Death Wish with dinosaurs titilates. Sounds like this Primeval nonsense we have here. Depressing really.

I find myself very much in the Neil camp, its far more entertaining with him as the lead and JP 3 at least has some human characters to invest in and a scenrio that satifies their lack of resouces once on site. JP 2 has so many smug, obnoxious or self righteous gits along for the ride there was no tension or reason to care who lived or who died equally for a planned expedition of conscenting individuals you have to wonder whether it was some kind of sub conscious suicide pact that took them there!

Neil and Dern for JP 4 the rest can whistle!
Back to top Go down
dr. strangelove
Experienced Correspondent
Experienced Correspondent
avatar

Posts : 447
Member Since : 2011-03-20
Location : Chicago

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:58 am

FieldsMan wrote:

Scorsese-o-metre
Casino
Gangs of New York
The Departed

Aching to check out The Goodfellas, The Aviator, Hugo and Shutter Island.

Dude...you definitely need to see TAXI DRIVER, GOODFELLAS, and MEAN STREETS.

---------

THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO (2011)
directed by Dave Fincher

For being a 2.5 hour film, this thing really moves fast. The film definitely doesn't hold your hand, and I'm okay with that. But, having not read the book or seen the Swedish film (not until afterwards, at least), some of the finer points of the plot were a little hazy to me given the way Fincher speeds through some things. Fincher usually seems to not get in the way much and let the performances and writing speak for itself, and this film is not an exception to that. Visually, it's moody and atmospheric without wallowing too much in it's own atmosphere. Trent Reznor's score is forgettable, and feels like an afterthought. Rooney Mara is pretty damn great as Lisbeth (boobs, boobs, boobs!!!), and an exponential improvement over Noomi Rapace's interpretation. I know Ebert, in particular, thinks Craig had too much star-power to play the part. Initially, I was a bit worried about that as well, but I think Craig did a fine job turning in a rather understated performance as the timid, uneasy Michael. I never felt he was too confident or anything like that. My biggest gripe with the film was the ending. Once the main story wraps up, there's about a 20 minute epilogue which lacks any kind of narrative line, and as a result, feels disjointed and confusing. The final scene would have been much more powerful had that epilogue been handled that a bit differently, I think.

In general, I think I was expecting a bit more from Fincher, especially coming off THE SOCIAL NETWORK. It's a fine film, but it just seems like it's missing something to really put it over the top. I'd be interested in seeing a 3-hour cut.

8/10
Back to top Go down
Hilly KCMG
Moderator
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 5395
Member Since : 2010-05-13
Location : Buckinghamshire

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:15 am

lachesis wrote:
Hilly wrote:
The White Tuxedo wrote:

Hilly wrote:
Jurassic Park III

Haven't seen those in a decade, but JPIII automatically fails because it's more fun to watch Jeff Goldblum react to dinosaurs than it is to watch Sam Neill react to dinosaurs.

Had he been alive, it should have been JURASSIC PARK III: BOB PECK KILLS DINOSAURS and be about Muldoon's twin brother, also called Muldoon, avenging his brother's death by going to the island and killing every single dinosaur on it. And getting Laura Dern.

It'd be like DEATH WISH, with dinosaurs.

one day the Neill legend shall be appreciated.

As it is supposedly, from what I read, Goldblum was going to do the film but broke something and recommended it to Sam Neill.

Best hope for your sake Goldblum returns as well as Dern [and Neill] for IV.

Though your Death Wish with dinosaurs titilates. Sounds like this Primeval nonsense we have here. Depressing really.

I find myself very much in the Neil camp, its far more entertaining with him as the lead and JP 3 at least has some human characters to invest in and a scenrio that satifies their lack of resouces once on site. JP 2 has so many smug, obnoxious or self righteous gits along for the ride there was no tension or reason to care who lived or who died equally for a planned expedition of conscenting individuals you have to wonder whether it was some kind of sub conscious suicide pact that took them there!

Neil and Dern for JP 4 the rest can whistle!

like it Lachesis :) I still watch Lost World wondering how Vince Vaughn ended up alive though he does vanish once they get back to San Diego.

Did read someplace that Sam Neill 'tweeted' about JP4 "Never say never".

Anyway, wait and see...we'll see.
Back to top Go down
Erica Ambler
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 5309
Member Since : 2011-08-05
Location : Pulling mussels

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:10 am

FieldsMan wrote:
[
Scorsese-o-metre
Casino
Gangs of New York
The Departed

Aching to check out The Goodfellas, The Aviator, Hugo and Shutter Island.

Why are you only watching his most recent films, oh yoof? They're all pale shadows of what he did before.
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 6062
Member Since : 2011-03-14
Location : ELdorado 5-9970

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:01 am

Erica Ambler wrote:
FieldsMan wrote:
[
Scorsese-o-metre
Casino
Gangs of New York
The Departed

Aching to check out The Goodfellas, The Aviator, Hugo and Shutter Island.

Why are you only watching his most recent films, oh yoof? They're all pale shadows of what he did before.

This is where I admit to having not seen RAGING BULL yet. Will get on that. My personal favorite is THE KING OF COMEDY. Travis Bickle as a standup, and along with TAXI DRIVER it has some of the most potent scenes of cringe-inducing awkwardness I've ever seen.

Anyway...

An American in Paris (1951)

Y'all know me, I hate musicals. Not quite, I just hate most of the musicals that I've seen. I'm very picky about them. But this is music by Gershwin. That changes the game.

Loved this movie. The singing stuff was alright, but what I really love is dancing. The dance sequence near the end is sublime I thought. I love stuff like that. A very charming film with a great cast. Oscar Levant is terrific. Like a musical-comedy Jack Webb.

I miss Technicolor and dye transfer. God damn the attitude that everything has to be po-faced srs realism.

Watching this film reminded me of Jason Alexander calling himself "half-mo", being completely gay up until the bit about having sex with men. laugh I wouldn't call myself half-mo, but I love Technicolor stuff like this. Unless it's GIGI.

I do wanna take dance lessons. Not out of the dream of being Gene Kelly. Aside from the idea of "healthy body healthy mind", many great stars of the past moved very well. Cary Grant, John Wayne, Burt Lancaster. They all moved really damn well.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
Moderator
Moderator


Posts : 10600
Member Since : 2011-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:25 am

RE: Goldblum, Neil and JP. Goldblum works much better in TLW, due to his humour and cynicism in the face of the absurd. Whereas in JP:III, you've just got Neil looking bored and bewildered by everything around, with dodgy Spielberg-lite TV drama thrown in. Sure, while most of the characters are C***S, the Pete Postlewaite game hunter is transformed by the end. That counts for something.
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 6062
Member Since : 2011-03-14
Location : ELdorado 5-9970

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:16 am

Sharky wrote:
RE: Goldblum, Neil and JP. Goldblum works much better in TLW, due to his humour and cynicism in the face of the absurd. Whereas in JP:III, you've just got Neil looking bored and bewildered by everything around, with dodgy Spielberg-lite TV drama thrown in.

Exactly. We don't even get the "everyone s***s themselves with wonder" facial expressions.
Back to top Go down
Control
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 5137
Member Since : 2010-05-13
Location : Slumber, Inc.

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:26 am

THE 39 STEPS (1935)

Donat is one of Hitch's best leading men.
Back to top Go down
Erica Ambler
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 5309
Member Since : 2011-08-05
Location : Pulling mussels

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:30 am

Plus he lent you his handcuffs.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
Moderator
Moderator


Posts : 10600
Member Since : 2011-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:33 am

And the bar of soap.
Back to top Go down
FieldsMan
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 4052
Member Since : 2010-05-13
Location : The Alpine Room

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:48 am

Erica Ambler wrote:
FieldsMan wrote:
[
Scorsese-o-metre
Casino
Gangs of New York
The Departed

Aching to check out The Goodfellas, The Aviator, Hugo and Shutter Island.

Why are you only watching his most recent films, oh yoof? They're all pale shadows of what he did before.

They're just some that spring to mind. I've been impressed of his films so far, I'm definitely going to check out what I can.
Back to top Go down
Erica Ambler
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 5309
Member Since : 2011-08-05
Location : Pulling mussels

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:51 am

His early work is much his best, though you may not like Raging Bull. It's in black and white.
Back to top Go down
Hilly KCMG
Moderator
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 5395
Member Since : 2010-05-13
Location : Buckinghamshire

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:53 am

The White Tuxedo wrote:
Sharky wrote:
RE: Goldblum, Neil and JP. Goldblum works much better in TLW, due to his humour and cynicism in the face of the absurd. Whereas in JP:III, you've just got Neil looking bored and bewildered by everything around, with dodgy Spielberg-lite TV drama thrown in.

Exactly. We don't even get the "everyone s***s themselves with wonder" facial expressions.

H Macy was shitting himself on the inside. Fact.

As for Neill, master of understatement.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
Moderator
Moderator


Posts : 10600
Member Since : 2011-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:54 am

I like Neil, but he was badly used in JP:3. The "lovers that never were" scenes with Dern were good. Wish the rest of the film lived up to that.

Erica Ambler wrote:
His early work is much his best, though you may not like Raging Bull. It's in black and white.

Plus it's a load of overwrought tosh.

I'd go with MEAN STREETS, TAXI DRIVER and WHO'S THAT KNOCKING AT MY DOOR.


Last edited by Sharky on Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Control
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 5137
Member Since : 2010-05-13
Location : Slumber, Inc.

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:55 am

Sharky wrote:
Erica Ambler wrote:
His early work is much his best, though you may not like Raging Bull. It's in black and white.

Plus it's a load of overwrought tosh.

I'd go with MEAN STREETS, TAXI DRIVER and WHO'S THAT KNOCKING AT MY DOOR.

Yep, WHO'S THAT KNOCKING ON MY DOOR is definitely worth checking out. Not sure how easy it'll be to find, though.

Innernette is your friend.
Back to top Go down
Erica Ambler
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 5309
Member Since : 2011-08-05
Location : Pulling mussels

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:56 am

I never recommend Taxi Driver. It causes impressionable young men to talk to their reflections.
Back to top Go down
Control
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 5137
Member Since : 2010-05-13
Location : Slumber, Inc.

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:58 am

FieldsMan might return to B&B with a yellow cab and a revolver, asking, "Hey Ambler, how's everything in the pimp business?"
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
Moderator
Moderator


Posts : 10600
Member Since : 2011-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:59 am

Don't tell me Rave is Easy Iris. She may be easy, but she's as worn as the cum drenched seats of the checker taxi.


Last edited by Sharky on Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
j7wild
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 2039
Member Since : 2011-09-10

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:22 am

A Walk in the Sun (1945)

4.75/5

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0038235/

one of the best war films ever made and it's also on my personal list of the Top 20 Best War Films of all times, along with other epic classic war films such as:

(in no particular order)

Full Metal Jacket, Gallipoli, A Bridge Too Far, The Longest Day, Apocalypse Now, The Battle of Britain, Where Eagles Dare, Das Boot, The Dirty Dozen, The Great Escape, The Bridge On The River Kwai, Paths Of Glory, Platoon, Lawrence Of Arabia, Cross Of Iron, Der Untergang, Idi I Smotri (Come And See), Stalingrad, All Quiet On The Western Front, etc etc


Last edited by j7wild on Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:29 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
Moderator
Moderator


Posts : 10600
Member Since : 2011-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:24 am

Where did the posts just go?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   

Back to top Go down
 
Last Movie you Watched?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 40Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bond And Beyond :: Beyond :: Film News & Film Discussion-
Jump to: