More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Last Book That You Read- Fiction

Go down 
+38
Nicolas Suszczyk
hegottheboot
silvertoe
Sarai
Kath
SarahN
Campbell4
boldfinger
Agent007391
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
lachesis
Blunt Instrument
Prisoner Monkeys
Santa
saint mark
Loomis
Harmsway
Louis Armstrong
Fae
Control
bitchcraft
Gravity's Silhouette
tiffanywint
Ravenstone
Perilagu Khan
Seve
trevanian
Klown
HJackson
lalala2004
Hilly
Salomé
Vesper
Largo's Shark
colly
CJB
Fairbairn-Sykes
Moore
42 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13 ... 21  Next
AuthorMessage
Fairbairn-Sykes
Head of Station
Head of Station
Fairbairn-Sykes

Last Book That You Read- Fiction  - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Last Book That You Read- Fiction    Last Book That You Read- Fiction  - Page 5 EmptySat Oct 08, 2011 10:21 pm

The uncut edition is great. Bought it for my dad for his birthday this year as he's a big Heinlein fan.
Back to top Go down
http://goldenagebat.blogspot.com
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Last Book That You Read- Fiction    Last Book That You Read- Fiction  - Page 5 EmptySat Oct 08, 2011 10:30 pm

What I wouldn't pay to see STRANGER adapted into a screenplay. Harms?
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Last Book That You Read- Fiction    Last Book That You Read- Fiction  - Page 5 EmptySat Oct 08, 2011 10:54 pm

x

Last edited by Classified Nut on Sun May 26, 2019 2:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: Last Book That You Read- Fiction    Last Book That You Read- Fiction  - Page 5 EmptySat Oct 08, 2011 10:57 pm

I would be delighted if we chose STRANGER as a bookclub selection as a follow-up to LANCELOT. I'm eager to read it.
Back to top Go down
trevanian
Head of Station
Head of Station
trevanian

PostSubject: Re: Last Book That You Read- Fiction    Last Book That You Read- Fiction  - Page 5 EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 5:34 am

http://grokking.tribe.net/thread/834e7077-83e8-4ca0-80ef-1d5a004ce659

A post from several years back... I remembered Hanks' longtime interest, but didn't know about Connery's rumored involvement. Daniel Waters is unusual enough to have maybe done some good things with it.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Last Book That You Read- Fiction    Last Book That You Read- Fiction  - Page 5 EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 3:31 pm

x

Last edited by Classified Nut on Sun May 26, 2019 2:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Last Book That You Read- Fiction    Last Book That You Read- Fiction  - Page 5 EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 3:50 pm

Why ever not? Nobody's offended by all those men discovering their inner sluts, giving women the same chance would only be fair IMO.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Last Book That You Read- Fiction    Last Book That You Read- Fiction  - Page 5 EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 4:28 pm

It would have to be an independent production.
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: Last Book That You Read- Fiction    Last Book That You Read- Fiction  - Page 5 EmptyMon Oct 17, 2011 11:47 am

Alright. Finally done with DANIEL MARTIN, which was a bit on the long side, but had its fine moments.

I tried reading CARTE BLANCHE, but it didn't grab me. So I'm guessing the next book I read will be one of these few, depending on which one I take of the shelf today: THE ALIENIST by Caleb Carr, AMERIKA by Franz Kafka, MONSIGNOR QUIXOTE by Graham Greene, or THE ROCK GARDEN by Nikos Kazantazakis.
Back to top Go down
Ravenstone
Head of Station
Head of Station
Ravenstone

PostSubject: Re: Last Book That You Read- Fiction    Last Book That You Read- Fiction  - Page 5 EmptyMon Oct 17, 2011 10:12 pm

Snuff - Sir Terry Pratchett
Back to top Go down
Loomis
Head of Station
Head of Station
Loomis

PostSubject: Re: Last Book That You Read- Fiction    Last Book That You Read- Fiction  - Page 5 EmptyWed Oct 19, 2011 12:03 am

Re-reading AMERICAN PSYCHO (by Bret Easton Ellis, in case anyone doesn't know) for the first time in twenty years. Is it a museum piece? An embarrassing relic of 1991? Well, no - indeed, it seems surprisingly topical what with the current loathing of greedy bankers, combined with the world's continued depressing fixation on celebrities and bling. It's also still shocking, funny and, above all, brilliantly written. It's perhaps a bit repetitive (although that is, of course, the whole idea) and thus overextended, but it still packs one heck of a punch.
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: Last Book That You Read- Fiction    Last Book That You Read- Fiction  - Page 5 EmptyWed Oct 19, 2011 12:04 am

What do you think of the film, Loomster?
Back to top Go down
Loomis
Head of Station
Head of Station
Loomis

PostSubject: Re: Last Book That You Read- Fiction    Last Book That You Read- Fiction  - Page 5 EmptyWed Oct 19, 2011 12:39 am

I saw it at the cinema when it came out. Do you rate it? From memory, I didn't care for it much. I probably thought it was sorta okay, but definitely nothing more. The book certainly seems overwhelmingly the only way of getting the proper Patrick Bateman experience - it's not like SILENCE or HANNIBAL where you have to pause and think for quite a while about whether the book is superior to the film or vice versa.
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: Last Book That You Read- Fiction    Last Book That You Read- Fiction  - Page 5 EmptyWed Oct 19, 2011 12:45 am

Loomis wrote:
Do you rate it?
Not particularly, though I know many folks who do.
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Gravity's Silhouette

PostSubject: Re: Last Book That You Read- Fiction    Last Book That You Read- Fiction  - Page 5 EmptyWed Oct 19, 2011 3:00 am

ATLAS SHRUGGED

Finally finished it off today. Very interesting premise, very timely...very thought provoking...but entirely too long by half. Book is needlessly wordy, with every action, thought and feeling described in excruciating detail.

Still, after having read it it will now be hard to resist answering people with "Who Is John Galt?" It's like a secret signal among people who have seen the light or taken the red pill.
Back to top Go down
tiffanywint
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
tiffanywint

PostSubject: Re: Last Book That You Read- Fiction    Last Book That You Read- Fiction  - Page 5 EmptyWed Oct 19, 2011 5:21 am

Loomis wrote:
I saw it at the cinema when it came out. Do you rate it? From memory, I didn't care for it much. I probably thought it was sorta okay, but definitely nothing more. The book certainly seems overwhelmingly the only way of getting the proper Patrick Bateman experience - it's not like SILENCE or HANNIBAL where you have to pause and think for quite a while about whether the book is superior to the film or vice versa.

The funniest part (of many funny parts in the film) was Bateman playing music. He explains at length to one of his prospective victims, how he prefers highly-commercial, 80's Phil Collins, Genesis to the classic 70's Peter Gabriel, Genesis. Figures.laugh The shallow, soulless bastard.
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Gravity's Silhouette

PostSubject: Re: Last Book That You Read- Fiction    Last Book That You Read- Fiction  - Page 5 EmptySat Oct 22, 2011 5:20 pm

I'm reading Phillip Kerr's THE GRID again (also known as The Gridiron in the U.K.). I read it in 2004. It's one of those books that's too good to read just once. It's dumb fun, as the computerized, ultra-modern, ultra-futuristic skyscraper know as The Grid, starts killing off the inhabitants of the building one by one in ever-increasingly vicious, and inventive, ways. Whether it's killing someone in a locked bathroom by overflowing the sinks and the toilets, or starving a character of oxygen because it dared to light up a cigarette, it's hard to not have a good laugh and a smile when reading this novel about a building's state-of-the-art, self-learning computer system that learns the habits of its inhabitants all too well.

Last Book That You Read- Fiction  - Page 5 Grid-philip-kerr-book-cover-art

Back to top Go down
Loomis
Head of Station
Head of Station
Loomis

PostSubject: Re: Last Book That You Read- Fiction    Last Book That You Read- Fiction  - Page 5 EmptySat Oct 22, 2011 6:59 pm

THE AUDACITY OF HOPE by Barack Obama. There's so much fence-setting in this one that It's often hard to tell where the man stands (then again, he also often comes across as more of a natural conservative than a liberal). Unsurprisingly, this book comes off as an attempt to be all things to all men, but it is undeniably brilliantly-written, thought-provoking and utterly absorbing - as much a spiritual and intellectual journey as a "political" book. The President can certainly write.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Last Book That You Read- Fiction    Last Book That You Read- Fiction  - Page 5 EmptySat Oct 22, 2011 8:17 pm

He can talk the talk, but he can't walk the walk.
Back to top Go down
saint mark
Head of Station
Head of Station
saint mark

PostSubject: Re: Last Book That You Read- Fiction    Last Book That You Read- Fiction  - Page 5 EmptySat Oct 22, 2011 8:29 pm

Sharky wrote:
He can talk the talk, but he can't walk the walk.

Correction: He can talk the talk, but the Republicans will die first before allowing him to walk the walk. ;)
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Last Book That You Read- Fiction    Last Book That You Read- Fiction  - Page 5 EmptySat Oct 22, 2011 8:32 pm

Obama is America's own Tony Blair. A charismatic snake oil salesman.
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Gravity's Silhouette

PostSubject: Re: Last Book That You Read- Fiction    Last Book That You Read- Fiction  - Page 5 EmptySat Oct 22, 2011 8:55 pm

Loomis wrote:
THE AUDACITY OF HOPE by Barack Obama. There's so much fence-setting in this one that It's often hard to tell where the man stands (then again, he also often comes across as more of a natural conservative than a liberal). Unsurprisingly, this book comes off as an attempt to be all things to all men, but it is undeniably brilliantly-written, thought-provoking and utterly absorbing - as much a spiritual and intellectual journey as a "political" book. The President can certainly write.

Back at Christmas of 2006, one of my cousins was telling me about Barack Obama. She was 18 at the time, and I had already heard of him....I mean, I knew of him, and she was telling me that she was doing a college paper on Obama....so I asked her what was it about him that everyone was so impressed by. I hadn't really paid any attention to him at all up to that point. I knew he'd taken over, I think, for Congressman Ryan out of Illinois at that point.....I knew he'd given a speech at the Democratic National Convention back in 2004...I think by that point he may have already been in the U.S. Senate or was about to go in....I'd heard of his books...knew he'd been on Oprah...but just hadn't paid any attention.

So I asked her what was everyone talking about...what made Barack Obama so special and great. It was a legitimate question...there was no agenda. I really wanted to know what it was about him that everyone was responding to. Well, she couldn't really explain to me why she liked him, or what he stood for, or what he'd accomplished. She just kept talking about how he inspired her. How? Why? So I asked again. This was over dinner at The Cheesecake Factory with a bunch of other people. Well, she started to get frustrated at me, or herself, or the questions, and I looked up at her mother and her mother just sort of shook her head slightly at me, as if saying 'You really don't want to go there.', and then my cousin started getting all teary eyed and emotional and then started crying, and it was right then that I knew that I was dealing with something about Obama and/or his admirers (at least one of them) that wasn't quite right.; I guess she thought that I was mocking him or attempting to humiliate her, and at that point I just let it go and didn't pursue the questions any further.

But 2 years later I would come to understand her reaction when I watched the way millions of people gave themselves over to an emotional response to Barack Obama as he campaigned for President. I can't say he ever inspired me or moved me, and I'm already more sick to death of him at 3 years into his presidency than I ever was of George W. Bush or Bill Clinton at the same stage of their time in office, but I at least understood that my cousin's response to Obama was not singular. She was not alone. She wasn't the only person who dropped all pretense of objectivity and logic and rationality and simply gave herself over to a feeling.

My opinion of Obama then and now has largely remain unchanged: he was a construct...an idea...a movement......people projected on to him their own thoughts and feelings. One writer said Barack Obama was "sort of a god", and another remarked that becoming President was a "step down" for Barack. I remember one magazine had a cover of Obama ripping open his shirt to reveal a Superman costume underneath. The fawning, ass-kissing, deification of Barack Obama crossed over from admiration to scary cult worship. As reality has since hit the fan, some of that luster has finally come off, and a lot of people are beginning to understand that he's hardly different from all the other politicians, so expect 2012 to be the Mother of All Dirty Campaigns. Plenty of mud-slinging, negativity, ballot-stuffing, get-out-the-dead-voters, scare-tactic political shenanigans coming from both sides, and we'll all see that Barack Obama isn't above getting his hands dirty to engage in some good, old-fashioned class warfare rhetoric and hate-mongering.
Back to top Go down
Loomis
Head of Station
Head of Station
Loomis

PostSubject: Re: Last Book That You Read- Fiction    Last Book That You Read- Fiction  - Page 5 EmptySat Oct 22, 2011 11:33 pm

Sharky wrote:
Obama is America's own Tony Blair. A charismatic snake oil salesman.

At least he's a much better writer than Blair. I was looking at Blair's autobiography the other day. The prose is simply horrible.
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: Last Book That You Read- Fiction    Last Book That You Read- Fiction  - Page 5 EmptySat Oct 22, 2011 11:36 pm

Did Obama actually write his memoir? Or was it ghostwritten, as the majority of these things are?
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Last Book That You Read- Fiction    Last Book That You Read- Fiction  - Page 5 EmptySat Oct 22, 2011 11:40 pm

Yeah. Even Stravinsky's was.

Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if it was sourced to the same guys who did his speeches.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Last Book That You Read- Fiction    Last Book That You Read- Fiction  - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

Last Book That You Read- Fiction
Page 5 of 21Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13 ... 21  Next