More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Last Book That You Read- Fiction

Go down 
+38
Nicolas Suszczyk
hegottheboot
silvertoe
Sarai
Kath
SarahN
Campbell4
boldfinger
Agent007391
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
lachesis
Blunt Instrument
Prisoner Monkeys
Santa
saint mark
Loomis
Harmsway
Louis Armstrong
Fae
Control
bitchcraft
Gravity's Silhouette
tiffanywint
Ravenstone
Perilagu Khan
Seve
trevanian
Klown
HJackson
lalala2004
Hilly
Salomé
Vesper
Largo's Shark
colly
CJB
Fairbairn-Sykes
Moore
42 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 17 ... 21  Next
AuthorMessage
Moore
Q Branch
Q Branch
Moore

Last Book That You Read- Fiction  - Page 15 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Last Book That You Read- Fiction    Last Book That You Read- Fiction  - Page 15 EmptyFri Dec 05, 2014 1:36 am

Not a read update, but disappointed to hear the Mack Bolan series will be ending in December 2015 to do News Corps. acquisition of Gold Eagle Books.

It's not high literature, but it's a fun pulp series that has been running since 1969. Since 1983 it started running monthly written by a team of writers in addition to several spin off series totaling 24 books a year. After almost 900+ titles when you combine the series and its spinoff it looks like the series is finally saying farewell. It's a shame, but an impressive run. I hope when the rights revert back to the authors estate they continue it.

Or at the least reboot the series and release one or two a year focusing more on story and character than churning them out.

They were fun reads though. Started reading them back when I was a kid.

The original 37 titles in the series are being reissued for Kindle around the 16th of December. If you look good pulp, action junk fiction I would highl recommend checking out some of those titles (Miami Massacre, Death Squad, War Against the Mafia, Chicago Wipe-Out, etc)
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Last Book That You Read- Fiction    Last Book That You Read- Fiction  - Page 15 EmptyMon Dec 08, 2014 9:14 am

x

Last edited by Classified Nut on Sun May 26, 2019 2:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Campbell4
Cipher Clerk
Campbell4

PostSubject: Re: Last Book That You Read- Fiction    Last Book That You Read- Fiction  - Page 15 EmptyMon Dec 08, 2014 11:48 am

Who's Zoella? No, don't answer. I could google that, I'm just too lazy.

Reading another Matt Helm, Removers, now. It's not a bad series, written better than many others. But I can't help it, after some books the pattern isn't that involving any longer. I'd say I read them more for the tone than for the actual plot.

Next James Ellroy, American Tabloid.
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: Last Book That You Read- Fiction    Last Book That You Read- Fiction  - Page 15 EmptyMon Dec 08, 2014 5:28 pm

Erica Ambler wrote:
So Zoella didn't write her own novel. Quelle surprise ...

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/news/zoella-publishers-admit-zoe-sugg-didnt-actually-write-the-fastestselling-debut-novel-ever-girl-online-on-her-own-9908926.html

What exactly is the point of this, other than a cynical money grab?
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Last Book That You Read- Fiction    Last Book That You Read- Fiction  - Page 15 EmptyTue Dec 09, 2014 8:15 am

Erica Ambler wrote:
So Zoella didn't write her own novel. Quelle surprise ...

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/news/zoella-publishers-admit-zoe-sugg-didnt-actually-write-the-fastestselling-debut-novel-ever-girl-online-on-her-own-9908926.html

She's got an adorable blowjob face though.
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: Last Book That You Read- Fiction    Last Book That You Read- Fiction  - Page 15 EmptyFri Dec 12, 2014 4:55 pm

It wasn't the *last* book I read, but one of the few 2014 releases I read was James Ellroy's Perfidia, the start of his second L.A. Quartet. It's Ellroy's most structurally ambitious novel and makes for a pretty good read (Ellroy remains one of the greatest living English-language novelists), although its sprawling story makes me long just a bit for the efficient thrillers he used to write.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Last Book That You Read- Fiction    Last Book That You Read- Fiction  - Page 15 EmptyFri Dec 12, 2014 9:56 pm

Itching to read Perfidia. Saw Ellroy on the BBC's Hardtalk (still on iplayer for those in the know) and an incredible man, personally. Just couldn't give a shit about what people think and a lot cleverer than I think some people think of him. There was this documentary about him where he talked of LA Confidential, it's worth the viewing for that bit alone.

--

Alas, I read Flashman and the Mountain of Light last. Starting to wonder what a Bond novel by GMF might've turned out like considering his involvement with Octopussy. Better than some of what we've had of late I'd wager.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
Prisoner Monkeys
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Prisoner Monkeys

PostSubject: Re: Last Book That You Read- Fiction    Last Book That You Read- Fiction  - Page 15 EmptySun Dec 14, 2014 8:50 am

Just finished Michael Connelly's "The Burning Room". I have found the Harry Bosch series to be hit-and-miss at times, but this is easily one of his best.

I'm about to start Greg Iles' "Natchez Burning". I'm hoping to finish that in the next few days, and then I'm going to make a start on "Richard III".
Back to top Go down
bitchcraft
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
bitchcraft

PostSubject: Re: Last Book That You Read- Fiction    Last Book That You Read- Fiction  - Page 15 EmptyTue Dec 23, 2014 7:27 pm

I'm too lazy to read the actual novels, which are huge from what I saw of my friend's copy, so I got the graphic novel versions of The Girl With The Dragon Tatoo and The Girl Who Played With Fire. Artwork is quite nice. Lisbeth is awesome.

Last Book That You Read- Fiction  - Page 15 Tenner
Last Book That You Read- Fiction  - Page 15 Tatto-pages
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Gravity's Silhouette

PostSubject: Re: Last Book That You Read- Fiction    Last Book That You Read- Fiction  - Page 15 EmptyWed Dec 24, 2014 8:49 am

bitchcraft wrote:
I'm too lazy to read the actual novels, which are huge from what I saw of my friend's copy, so I got the graphic novel versions of The Girl With The Dragon Tatoo and The Girl Who Played With Fire. Artwork is quite nice. Lisbeth is awesome.

'Dragon Tattoo' is an excellent crime detective thriller. The sequel books were good, but 'Dragon Tattoo' is the kind of book that is worth a 2nd read, even though you know how it ends.

Just finished reading Stephen Hunter's DEAD ZERO:

Last Book That You Read- Fiction  - Page 15 Deadzerocover

It was good, but probably not his best. POINT OF IMPACT (which became the 2008 Mark Wahlberg film, SHOOTER) is the gold standard, and I also liked THE THIRD BULLET (interesting theory about how Oswald could have been lured into shooting JFK).
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Last Book That You Read- Fiction    Last Book That You Read- Fiction  - Page 15 EmptyTue Dec 30, 2014 9:54 pm

Just finished today Perfidia, James Ellroy. Ellroy's writing draws me in. Punches away. Look forward to the rest of the trilogy.
Back to top Go down
Campbell4
Cipher Clerk
Campbell4

PostSubject: Re: Last Book That You Read- Fiction    Last Book That You Read- Fiction  - Page 15 EmptyFri Jan 02, 2015 2:29 pm

Ellroy is a magician,adore him. Small wonder, even the outlines to his books run to a hundred pages. Never one word too much in his work, a perfect storyteller.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Last Book That You Read- Fiction    Last Book That You Read- Fiction  - Page 15 EmptyFri Jan 02, 2015 10:50 pm

the documentary "James Ellroy: Feast of Death" was excellent, the opening about him talking about LA Confidential was worth it alone.
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: Last Book That You Read- Fiction    Last Book That You Read- Fiction  - Page 15 EmptySun Feb 01, 2015 5:01 pm

Hilly KCMG wrote:
Just finished today Perfidia, James Ellroy. Ellroy's writing draws me in. Punches away. Look forward to the rest of the trilogy.
Quartet, actually. And I, too, can't wait. The structural ambition of Perfidia has me itching to see what Ellroy tries next.

I haven't read it, yet, but Neal Stephenson (one of the brightest and most imaginative novelists working today) has a new novel on the way: Seveneves. The premise sounds wildly ambitious:

Quote :
From the #1 New York Times bestselling author of Anathem, Reamde, and Cryptonomicon comes an exciting and thought-provoking science fiction epic – a grand story of annihilation and survival spanning five thousand years. A catastrophic event renders the earth a ticking time bomb. In a feverish race against the inevitable, nations around the globe band together to devise an ambitious plan to ensure the survival of humanity far beyond our atmosphere, in outer space. But the complexities and unpredictability of human nature coupled with unforeseen challenges and dangers threaten the intrepid pioneers, until only a handful of survivors remain... Five thousand years later, their progeny – seven distinct races now three billion strong – embark on yet another audacious journey into the unknown . . . to an alien world utterly transformed by cataclysm and time: Earth.
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Gravity's Silhouette

PostSubject: Re: Last Book That You Read- Fiction    Last Book That You Read- Fiction  - Page 15 EmptyTue Feb 17, 2015 4:28 am

Reading LUCIFER'S HAMMER now and may move on to MOONFALL (a similar type of book in the same genre, and one that I've read before). Different and unique, but similiar books all at the same time.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Last Book That You Read- Fiction    Last Book That You Read- Fiction  - Page 15 EmptySun Mar 22, 2015 6:57 pm

The Time Ships, Stephen Baxter

the sequel to The Time Machine. Quite good I found and ultimately depressing. The vision of the future and the Traveller ultimately staying in 802,471 forever. And yet all throughout quite solidly pictured Rod Taylor. And in spite of descriptions, Baxter's talking Morlock was pictured as in the film. Grim all the same.

Last Book That You Read- Fiction  - Page 15 Punchmor
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Last Book That You Read- Fiction    Last Book That You Read- Fiction  - Page 15 EmptySun Aug 02, 2015 12:52 pm

Last edited by Erica Ambler on Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Last Book That You Read- Fiction    Last Book That You Read- Fiction  - Page 15 EmptySun Aug 02, 2015 1:40 pm

Δ

Last edited by Largo's Shark on Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: Last Book That You Read- Fiction    Last Book That You Read- Fiction  - Page 15 EmptySun Aug 02, 2015 3:02 pm

Erica Ambler wrote:
One Shot by Lee Child

One of the things that no one talks about in publishing is that the last thing you want to do in your free time is read or write. I needed something to get me back into the habit and the Jack Reacher books are so far removed from 'self-improving literature' that I thought they might fit the bill. One Shot turns out to be a penny dreadful. Not as bad as the 'works' of Dan Brown, but getting there. To my surprise, the recent Tom Cruise film adaptation is a slight improvement in that it takes three shit female characters from the book and distills them into one. She's still shit, but then what d'you expect from Rosamund Pike?

I once read the very first Jack Reacher novel, "Killing Floor".

I found it incredibly dull.

The problem (imho) is that his protagonist is so "skilled" that he becomes near invincible, thus rendering any potential suspense a non-starter.

The one female character of note (a local police officer who falls for him) was instantly forgettable, as I recall.

Back to top Go down
SarahN
Universal Exports
Universal Exports
SarahN

Location : For it will come to pass that every braggart shall be found an ass.

PostSubject: Re: Last Book That You Read- Fiction    Last Book That You Read- Fiction  - Page 15 EmptySun Aug 02, 2015 7:52 pm

Reachers are hardly read for their memorable characters, they are Superman comics for types who don't want to be seen with a comic; the ones who consider themselves 'manly' - after a fashion.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Last Book That You Read- Fiction    Last Book That You Read- Fiction  - Page 15 EmptySun Aug 02, 2015 8:31 pm

,l

Last edited by Erica Ambler on Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Last Book That You Read- Fiction    Last Book That You Read- Fiction  - Page 15 EmptyMon Aug 03, 2015 7:26 pm

Solo by William Boyd - as middling an effort as Deaver's Carte Blanche, really. There are occasional flashes of the Bond we know and love, but it's not enough.
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Gravity's Silhouette

PostSubject: Re: Last Book That You Read- Fiction    Last Book That You Read- Fiction  - Page 15 EmptyWed Aug 02, 2017 7:06 am

THE SNOW MAN by Jo Nesbo

I'm halfway through it now. Why this book? Well, there's a movie coming out:

I like Fassbender. I like Rebecca Fergsuson (she's actually an actress I would go pay to see; liked her in The White Queen, Life, and Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation). It's filmed almost entirely in Norway, so it has comitted the setting of the book and Norway is one of my favorite countries.

And if you liked any of the "Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" books/films, then this might be of interest.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Last Book That You Read- Fiction    Last Book That You Read- Fiction  - Page 15 EmptyWed Aug 02, 2017 12:30 pm

Thanks for sharing Grav. I've been keen to see the trailer - looks great. How's the book?
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Gravity's Silhouette

PostSubject: Re: Last Book That You Read- Fiction    Last Book That You Read- Fiction  - Page 15 EmptyThu Aug 03, 2017 7:41 am

FieldsMan wrote:
Thanks for sharing Grav. I've been keen to see the trailer - looks great. How's the book?

It's okay. It hasn't grabbed me from the the first page like GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO did, but it's not boring. Will see where it leads.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Last Book That You Read- Fiction    Last Book That You Read- Fiction  - Page 15 Empty

Back to top Go down

Last Book That You Read- Fiction
Page 14 of 21Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 17 ... 21  Next