More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Has anyone ever tried speed-reading?...

Go down 
+2
Largo's Shark
bitchcraft
6 posters
AuthorMessage
bitchcraft
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
bitchcraft

Has anyone ever tried speed-reading?... Empty
PostSubject: Has anyone ever tried speed-reading?...   Has anyone ever tried speed-reading?... EmptySat Mar 03, 2012 12:09 am

...and does it really work on something like University level textbooks?
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone ever tried speed-reading?...   Has anyone ever tried speed-reading?... EmptySat Mar 03, 2012 12:10 am

Yes, but almost nothing goes in. Reading (text) has never been the easiest for me.
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone ever tried speed-reading?...   Has anyone ever tried speed-reading?... EmptySat Mar 03, 2012 12:35 am

I'm pretty good at speed-reading, but it requires focus. It's much easier to do with a book you're interested in than a book you're not.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone ever tried speed-reading?...   Has anyone ever tried speed-reading?... EmptySat Mar 03, 2012 12:40 am

I speed-read as part of my job, but it's hard to stop once you start.

If you read for pleasure I don't recommend it.
Back to top Go down
AMC Hornet
Head of Station
Head of Station
AMC Hornet

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone ever tried speed-reading?...   Has anyone ever tried speed-reading?... EmptySat Mar 03, 2012 6:38 am

When I was in jr high, the push was on to teach speed reading, but I resisted because I enjoy my reading. I'll read a particular paragraph twice before continuing, if I find it entertaining or enlightening.

I am, however, good at skimming for a particular passage, but I attribute that to my own training, and not to the Purdue University method which - like a lot of education in the 70s - was flawed and counter-productive.
Back to top Go down
bitchcraft
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
bitchcraft

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone ever tried speed-reading?...   Has anyone ever tried speed-reading?... EmptySat Mar 03, 2012 11:42 pm

Harmsway wrote:
I'm pretty good at speed-reading, but it requires focus. It's much easier to do with a book you're interested in than a book you're not.

Yep, that's it, the disinterest, whether intentional or not acts as an impediment...
Back to top Go down
j7wild
Head of Station
Head of Station
j7wild

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone ever tried speed-reading?...   Has anyone ever tried speed-reading?... EmptyWed Mar 07, 2012 12:36 pm

I took speed reading in college.

I can take a Tom Clancy's Book (average 786-900 pages, hardcover) and finish it in about 3 hrs and still tell you what it was about, in detail.

my eyes are so quick now I can take any thread in this forum, scroll up and down the page through the posts and read them without stopping the scrolling.
Back to top Go down
Vesper
Head of Station
Head of Station
Vesper

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone ever tried speed-reading?...   Has anyone ever tried speed-reading?... EmptyWed Mar 07, 2012 1:48 pm

I'm a law student who attempts to have a life outside of casebooks. It's a job requirement.

Did I mention I'm a law student?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone ever tried speed-reading?...   Has anyone ever tried speed-reading?... Empty

Back to top Go down

Has anyone ever tried speed-reading?...
Page 1 of 1