These forums may contain mild adult content and are not associated with EON, Sony or any other companies and do not reflect their views.
 
HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 
 

 Last Movie You Bought?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17 ... 32  Next
AuthorMessage
bitchcraft
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 2835
Member Since : 2011-03-28
Location : I don't know what things will be like in 3 years. I don't have 2020 vision.

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Bought?   Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:59 am

The Stoning of Soraya M.

Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest
avatar


PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Bought?   Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:39 am

FEMME FATALE and GHOST IN THE SHELL 2: INNOCENCE.
Back to top Go down
Control
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 5137
Member Since : 2010-05-13
Location : Slumber, Inc.

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Bought?   Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:47 am

Ocean's Eleven (Soderbergh)
Back to top Go down
MBalje
Senior Correspondent
avatar

Posts : 538
Member Since : 2011-03-30
Location : Amsterdam, The Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Bought?   Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:24 am

1 April 2011

28. The Pandora Project (1998)

3 April 2011


29. Second Skin (2000)

Vandaag:



Directer List: Last Update: 07 April 2011

1.
Coen Brothers: 10
2.
John Glenn: 6
Robert Zemeckis: 6
Steven Spielberg: 6
3.
Peter Jackson: 5
Martin Campbell: 5
4.
Guy Hamilton: 4
Gore Verbinski: 4
Tony Scott: 4
Brett Ratner: 4
5.
Terence Young: 3
Lewis Gilbert: 3
Bryan Singer: 3
Stephen Sommers: 3
Steven Soderbergh: 3
Danny Boyle: 3
Ridley Scott: 3
Joel Schumacher: 3
Chris Wedge: 3
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
Moderator
Moderator


Posts : 10600
Member Since : 2011-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Bought?   Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:34 pm

Mr. Brown wrote:
Ocean's Eleven (Soderbergh)

Why the hell why? laugh
Back to top Go down
Control
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 5137
Member Since : 2010-05-13
Location : Slumber, Inc.

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Bought?   Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:35 am

Sharky wrote:
Mr. Brown wrote:
Ocean's Eleven (Soderbergh)

Why the hell why? laugh

I was bored. It was on HBO. There was nothing else to watch.

Wasn't as bad as I remember it being. I won't be rushing to see the sequels anytime soon, though. laugh

Back to top Go down
colly
Senior Correspondent
avatar

Posts : 788
Member Since : 2011-03-14
Location : The 50s.

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Bought?   Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:41 pm

THIRTEEN's a better watch than ELEVEN. Though TWELVE's just shit. laugh
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
Moderator
Moderator


Posts : 10600
Member Since : 2011-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Bought?   Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:03 pm

Analysing Soderbergh's OCEAN films, reminds me of this:

Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 6800
Member Since : 2011-03-14
Location : Up

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Bought?   Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:01 pm

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World on blu-ray.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest
avatar


PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Bought?   Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:44 pm

colly wrote:
Though TWELVE's just shit. laugh
It has the best cinematography and soundtrack of the three, and I'd say it has enough decent moments to elevate it above "shit," but yeah, it's the weakest overall.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
Moderator
Moderator


Posts : 10600
Member Since : 2011-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Bought?   Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:10 pm

There's little to distinguish its cinematography between that and your standard MTV bling bling music video. All flash, no substance, with a muzak score.
Back to top Go down
colly
Senior Correspondent
avatar

Posts : 788
Member Since : 2011-03-14
Location : The 50s.

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Bought?   Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:11 pm

Arkadin wrote:
colly wrote:
Though TWELVE's just shit. laugh
It has the best cinematography and soundtrack of the three, and I'd say it has enough decent moments to elevate it above "shit," but yeah, it's the weakest overall.

I remember seeing it the day it came out in the cinema, which if I recall correctly was the last day of year 8 - the moment of Julia Roberts playing someone impersonating Julia Roberts just convinced everyone to start throwing ice and popcorn.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest
avatar


PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Bought?   Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:46 am

Sharky wrote:
There's little to distinguish its cinematography between that and your standard MTV bling bling music video.
Ah, hyperbole.

Sharky wrote:
All flash, no substance, with a muzak score.
Dude. These are meant to be lightweight entertainments. Of course they're going to be all flash and no substance. And "muzak" isn't a bad word in my book.
Back to top Go down
Hilly KCMG
Moderator
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 5279
Member Since : 2010-05-13
Location : powerless

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Bought?   Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:41 am

Operation Valkeryie, 2004

German made account of the plot.

Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
Moderator
Moderator


Posts : 10600
Member Since : 2011-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Bought?   Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:53 am

Arkadin wrote:
Sharky wrote:
There's little to distinguish its cinematography between that and your standard MTV bling bling music video.
Ah, hyperbole.

No, really. They should have tilted the third, 'MY SWEET OCEAN 16.'

Sharky wrote:
All flash, no substance, with a muzak score.

Arkadin wrote:
Dude. These are meant to be lightweight entertainments. Of course they're going to be all flash and no substance.

Yes, but it's not a particularly kind of artful flash either, than even Guy Ritchie can do. It sounds like Soderbergh shot himself in the foot from the start.

It's just consumerist, unthinking, Hollywood-glorifying trash. Directed by Steven Soderbergh's subconscious, unconsciously.

Arkadin wrote:
And "muzak" isn't a bad word in my book.

Elevator music then. Shopping channel music.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest
avatar


PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Bought?   Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:10 am

Bah, you're just an old crank, Sharkie. These are movies in love with a certain kind of tone. A tongue-in-cheek bit of retro-cool, nostalgic for some of the breezy, glamorous films of the 1960s and for the age when Hollywood stars were really stars. In that respect, I think the OCEAN'S series does all right. They're nothing particularly remarkable or smart, but they have a nice relaxed sense of fun about 'em, even if they do occasionally feel as if they were made more for the cast and crew to have a good time than anything else. I've never seen anything from Ritchie that, stylistically, at least, is anywhere near as appealing.

And David Holmes' score and selection of cues for these flicks is great. Especially the soundtrack for OCEAN'S TWELVE, which collects a great number of obscure tracks, including the marvelous "Crepuscolo Sul Mare" by Piero Umiliani and "L'Appuntamento" by Ornella Vanoni, and has a few top-of-his-game Holmes tracks, too, like "7/29/04 The Day Of." Just a giant bucket of fun. But then I'm an absolute sucker for campy lounge music. Wish they'd get David Holmes to do a Bond flick.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
Moderator
Moderator


Posts : 10600
Member Since : 2011-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Bought?   Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:49 am

Arkadin wrote:
Bah, you're just an old crank, Sharkie. These are movies in love with a certain kind of tone. A tongue-in-cheek bit of retro-cool, nostalgic for some of the breezy, glamorous films of the 1960s and for the age when Hollywood stars were really stars. In that respect,

But I'm afraid Clooney, Damon, Pitt and their like don't come any close. They're smug, factory-produced, hypocritical, preening, elitist, tossers with an Anti-American agenda. Cardboard cutouts versus their 50s counterparts.

The Real Ratpack were true entertainers, with life experience from the war, from a completely different age and approach to stardom, and what it means to be an celebrity. An age of a certain sincerity and showmanship, which was both a blessing a curse in the end.

Soderbergh and his gang have lived in a bubble, in comparison.

Quote :
I've never seen anything from Ritchie that, stylistically, at least, is anywhere near as appealing.

ROCK N ROLLA is his best, by a fair degree, due to its humanity. They might not be as appealing in that they're not as carefree. throwaway or safe as the OCEAN films, but they've got a damnable 'F you' panache, despite often being morally suspect. They're definitely not relaxed or complacent, but there's a fun to them. The OCEAN films took downright pedestrian in contrast.

Quote :
Wish they'd get David Holmes to do a Bond flick.

I'd rather eat my own head.

Seriously, no. Barry at his best gave the films an honesty, a depth - arguably more so than they really deserved. A poetry even, even at their most flat-out ridiculous (i.e. MOONRAKER, A VIEW TO A KILL and YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE). He was a master of both jazz and late romantic orchestration and harmony, and could blend both kitsch with poignancy, which is probably why DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER's score works so well.

I've never heard that kind of depth in Holmes's score, as fun and lightweight as they may be.

Sure, Barry did lounge. But his lounge cues transgressed the genre, and gave those scenes an integrity.

Though I wouldn't mind a David Holmes elevator/MIDI remix of You Know My Name as Bond walks in a hotel lift, and starts whistling along with it it.

Arkadin wrote:
And David Holmes' score and selection of cues for these flicks is great. Especially the soundtrack for OCEAN'S TWELVE, which collects a great number of obscure tracks, including the marvelous "Crepuscolo Sul Mare" by Piero Umiliani and "L'Appuntamento" by Ornella Vanoni, and has a few top-of-his-game Holmes tracks, too, like "7/29/04 The Day Of." Just a giant bucket of fun. But then I'm an absolute sucker for campy lounge music.

I'll go them a listen on their. I admit I've only heard them in the course of the films, never on their own. I only really remember electric pianos, Hammond organs and Chemical Brothers-style beats.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest
avatar


PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Bought?   Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:04 pm

Sharky wrote:
Seriously, no. Barry at his best gave the films an honesty, a depth - arguably more so than they really deserved. A poetry even, even at their most flat-out ridiculous (i.e. MOONRAKER, A VIEW TO A KILL and YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE). He was a master of both jazz and late romantic orchestration and harmony, and could blend both kitsch with poignancy, which is probably why DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER's score works so well.
Sure. Holmes would be more George Martin than John Barry (though I do understand that Holmes had a corker of a score produced for THE GOOD GERMAN that was unlike his previous stuff, but Soderbergh tossed it out because it wasn't quite period appropriate in the way Soderbergh wanted it to be). But I'd like that for a film or two.
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 6062
Member Since : 2011-03-14
Location : ELdorado 5-9970

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Bought?   Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:57 pm

I need to check out those OCEAN flick, especially after hearing about the music. I too love campy lounge stuff.

The original flick is on Instant and I'll check that out first. I hear it's not that great. It'll probably be more interesting to wonder what was happening off the set than on.

But it does have Angie Dickinson.
Back to top Go down
Jack Wade
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 2014
Member Since : 2011-03-15
Location : Uranus

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Bought?   Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:20 pm

Ordered four Blu-rays from Amazon last night:

Artificial Intelligence
Black Swan
The Incredibles
Tron: Legacy
Back to top Go down
HJackson
Experienced Correspondent
Experienced Correspondent
avatar

Posts : 465
Member Since : 2011-03-19
Location : Cambridge, UK

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Bought?   Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:17 am

Picked up a British flick called Forbidden, from the late 1940s, on the blind. Blurb sounded good and I had the cash kicking about, so thought 'why not?'. We'll see how it goes.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
Moderator
Moderator


Posts : 10600
Member Since : 2011-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Bought?   Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:22 am

Arkadin wrote:
Sharky wrote:
Seriously, no. Barry at his best gave the films an honesty, a depth - arguably more so than they really deserved. A poetry even, even at their most flat-out ridiculous (i.e. MOONRAKER, A VIEW TO A KILL and YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE). He was a master of both jazz and late romantic orchestration and harmony, and could blend both kitsch with poignancy, which is probably why DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER's score works so well.
Sure. Holmes would be more George Martin than John Barry (though I do understand that Holmes had a corker of a score produced for THE GOOD GERMAN that was unlike his previous stuff, but Soderbergh tossed it out because it wasn't quite period appropriate in the way Soderbergh wanted it to be). But I'd like that for a film or two.

Ok, I'll go along with you strictly on those terms.

I was listening the OCEAN soundtracks a few days ago, and the Holmes's work on 11 stood out for me the most, surprisingly. I'm really digging in it, in fact. Very smart fusion of beats and lounge.

Can't stand Newman's GOOD GERMAN score to be honest. Yes it's technically proficient in its knowledge of Herrmann, Waxman in particular, but tonally it's hilariously maudlin and one-note.
Back to top Go down
MBalje
Senior Correspondent
avatar

Posts : 538
Member Since : 2011-03-30
Location : Amsterdam, The Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Bought?   Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:13 am

33. Coen Brothers Volkskrant Collection 11/14: Barton Fink
34. Coen Brothers Volkskrant Collection 12/14: The Ladykillers
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
Moderator
Moderator


Posts : 10600
Member Since : 2011-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Bought?   Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:16 am

I'd go with BARTON FINK first.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest
avatar


PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Bought?   Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:39 am

Sharky wrote:
I was listening the OCEAN soundtracks a few days ago, and the Holmes's work on 11 stood out for me the most, surprisingly. I'm really digging in it, in fact. Very smart fusion of beats and lounge.
I like the "Clair de Lune" remix (is the cue called "Tess"? I think it is...). And the one really nice thing about the OCEAN'S THIRTEEN's soundtrack (probably the least impressive of the three) is its use of the awesome Isao Tomita version of "Clair de Lune." Shame that it gets so little play in the film itself.

Sharky wrote:
Can't stand Newman's GOOD GERMAN score to be honest. Yes it's technically proficient in its knowledge of Herrmann, Waxman in particular, but tonally it's hilariously maudlin and one-note.
Yeah. Allegedly, Holmes' GOOD GERMAN score had a 70s feel. It's never leaked, to the best of my knowledge.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Bought?   

Back to top Go down
 
Last Movie You Bought?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 32Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17 ... 32  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bond And Beyond :: Beyond :: Film News & Film Discussion-
Jump to: