More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

The Forgotten John Barry

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Anonymous

The Forgotten John Barry Empty
PostSubject: The Forgotten John Barry   The Forgotten John Barry EmptyTue Mar 15, 2011 11:08 pm

Here's Sir John's now largely forgotten disco version of The Deep complete with Donna Summer and her patent orgasmatron:

And here's a terrific theme to a series that time forgot, Orson Welles' Great Mysteries:

Like The Adventurer, it has a very similar arrangement and instrumentation to its better-known cousin, The Persuaders!

Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: The Forgotten John Barry   The Forgotten John Barry EmptyTue Mar 15, 2011 11:42 pm

That's pretty catchy. I've always enjoyed his disco work, even that end credits music for "Moonraker".

Here are two that I don't hear much of...

Still need that album, too.
Back to top Go down
Satorious
Universal Exports
Universal Exports
Satorious

PostSubject: Re: The Forgotten John Barry   The Forgotten John Barry EmptyWed Mar 16, 2011 9:00 pm

Am I right in thinking this was Mr Barry's work also? It's not the version I was thinking - but it seems quite similar.

Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: The Forgotten John Barry   The Forgotten John Barry EmptyWed Mar 16, 2011 9:05 pm

Was Black Magic by John Barry? I got it into my head it was Christopher Gunning, of Hands of the Ripper fame. Smooth arrangement, either way.
Back to top Go down
Satorious
Universal Exports
Universal Exports
Satorious

PostSubject: Re: The Forgotten John Barry   The Forgotten John Barry EmptyWed Mar 16, 2011 9:22 pm

Interesting one this. Truth is - I'm not sure.

I have a feeling you may be right but that John Barry arranged it - I'm certain he was definitely involved in some capacity. There are alternate versions on the old John Barry Yahoo group at http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/john-barry/files/ - which also has some of his other rare stuff - I think some of which is posted here. It's worth checking out - if you haven't already taken a look. Which reminds me - it has this one on there:

Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: The Forgotten John Barry   The Forgotten John Barry EmptyWed Mar 16, 2011 9:26 pm

Now that one is most definitely late period Barry. Not as melodic as his earlier work, but immediately recognizable.

Thanks for the link, I'll check that out later.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: The Forgotten John Barry   The Forgotten John Barry EmptyWed Mar 16, 2011 11:57 pm

The Kodak ad was genuine (also directed by Ridley Scott), but as Ambler said, the Black Magic one was composed by Christopher Gunning. Sort of done in the style of 60s Barry, with hints of Henry Mancini and Richard Rodney Bennett.

Here's another of one of those pastiche pieces, this time by Cliff Adams for Cadbury's Milk Tray.

Here's some Barry scores that I consider true rarities.

FOUR IN THE MORNING - Starring a very young Dame Judi Dench. My old man says this one of the most authentic portraits of 60s London he's ever seen.

An extension of Barry's haunting THUNDERBALL/ IPCRESS FILE sound. A lot of prominence given to solo and unison woodwinds, and harmony given by harp chords.

THE DAY OF THE LOCUST - One of Barry's very few ventures into any sort of atonality. Personally I love it.

F***ING beautiful. Practically a tone poem in itself.
Back to top Go down
FourDot
'R'
'R'
FourDot

PostSubject: Re: The Forgotten John Barry   The Forgotten John Barry EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 12:26 am

Just watched this, and was surprised that Richard Lester had worked with Barry before Robin and Marian...

I don't know what the jellyfish are in aid of in that video, but it's a great score. And I hadn't heard of it before, so I guess it qualifies.

EDIT: And The Tamarind Seed is one of my favourites in terms of forgotten Barry.

Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: The Forgotten John Barry   The Forgotten John Barry EmptyFri Apr 01, 2011 1:51 am

Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: The Forgotten John Barry   The Forgotten John Barry EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 12:21 pm

Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: The Forgotten John Barry   The Forgotten John Barry EmptyTue May 03, 2011 5:02 am

Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: The Forgotten John Barry   The Forgotten John Barry EmptyThu Nov 17, 2011 10:11 pm

Pretty neat wallpaper I found:

The Forgotten John Barry Johnbarryjanebirkinwall
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: The Forgotten John Barry   The Forgotten John Barry EmptyThu Nov 17, 2011 11:42 pm

How's the score for JAGGED EDGE?
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: The Forgotten John Barry   The Forgotten John Barry EmptyThu Nov 17, 2011 11:44 pm

From what I've heard it sounds pretty bland.
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: The Forgotten John Barry   The Forgotten John Barry EmptyThu Nov 17, 2011 11:45 pm

I've only heard pieces of it, as well, and thought the same.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: The Forgotten John Barry   The Forgotten John Barry EmptyMon Sep 17, 2012 3:19 am

BELLS: AKA MURDER BY PHONE. The commercially unreleased, synthesised horror score by John Barry.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: The Forgotten John Barry   The Forgotten John Barry EmptyWed Jun 05, 2013 12:55 am

Rightfully forgotten or not?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Forgotten John Barry   The Forgotten John Barry Empty

Back to top Go down

The Forgotten John Barry
Page 1 of 1