More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

What accent did Fleming's Bond speak with?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Fairbairn-Sykes
Head of Station
Head of Station
Fairbairn-Sykes

What accent did Fleming's Bond speak with? Empty
PostSubject: What accent did Fleming's Bond speak with?   What accent did Fleming's Bond speak with? EmptyTue Apr 17, 2012 6:04 am

Fleming's Bond was born to a Scottish father and a Swiss mother in a small town in Germany. In addition to English, he spoke French and German fluently.

His father was from Glencoe, so we may assume James grew up there as a boy. Did the adult Bond speak with a Highlands accent?
He went to Eton College for a time, perhaps he speaks with an affected Received Pronounciation?
After his parents death he went to live with his aunt in Canterbury. Did he pick up a Kentish accent?
He attended and completed his education at Fettes in Edinburgh. So does he speak with a Lowlands Scots accent?
He joined the Admiralty and became a commando in WWII. As an officer in the King's Navy, would this affect his pronounciation?

Being from Western Canada, I don't know enough about these dialects to make an assumption about how each one would affect Bond's own speech. My guess would be that his accent could just as easily be any of them, depending on whether Bond assimilated more to one area or schooling than another. I am eager to hear what other Fleming experts, or members from the UK, think of this question.
Back to top Go down
http://goldenagebat.blogspot.com
Ravenstone
Head of Station
Head of Station
Ravenstone

PostSubject: Re: What accent did Fleming's Bond speak with?   What accent did Fleming's Bond speak with? EmptyTue Apr 17, 2012 8:45 pm

He would undoubtedly speak the Queen's English in upper class fashion. Just because he was born in Scotland doesn't mean he would speak with a Scottish accent. As the Duke of Wellington (born in Ireland) once said, "Being born in a barn does not make one a horse" ;)
Back to top Go down
Seve
Q Branch
Q Branch
Seve

PostSubject: Re: What accent did Fleming's Bond speak with?   What accent did Fleming's Bond speak with? EmptySat May 19, 2012 11:16 am

IMO the British education system seems to smooth out regional accents the further you go in it

I think Bond would speak "BBC English" except when played by Sh-sh-sh-Sean
;)

Last edited by Seve on Mon May 21, 2012 1:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
trevanian
Head of Station
Head of Station
trevanian

PostSubject: Re: What accent did Fleming's Bond speak with?   What accent did Fleming's Bond speak with? EmptySat May 19, 2012 3:59 pm

Sometimes the word choices make it hard for me to hear Bond as british or scottish. In GOLDEN GUN Fleming has Bond say, 'Golly' - which forever taints the book for me with the tar of Jim Nabors as Gomer Pyale.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: What accent did Fleming's Bond speak with?   What accent did Fleming's Bond speak with? EmptyTue Nov 13, 2012 6:54 pm

He had an affected, upper-class English Eton "Received Pronounciation" accent - sounded a bit like the Prince of Wales. Source - radio and TV interviews with Ian Fleming.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What accent did Fleming's Bond speak with?   What accent did Fleming's Bond speak with? Empty

Back to top Go down

What accent did Fleming's Bond speak with?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bond And Beyond :: Bond :: Literary Bond-
Jump to: