More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Who should direct Bond 24 (and beyond)?

Go down 
+24
Perilagu Khan
GeneralGogol
Sir Dalton Craig
James Bond
hegottheboot
FourDot
lachesis
Jack Wade
Walecs
CJB
Triviachamp
j7wild
Hilly
Harmsway
trevanian
The White Tuxedo
Largo's Shark
bondfan06
Loomis
MBalje
Prisoner Monkeys
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Makeshift Python
Control
28 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Who should direct Bond 24?
Ben Affleck
Who should direct Bond 24 (and beyond)? Vote_lcap0%Who should direct Bond 24 (and beyond)? Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Kathryn Bigelow
Who should direct Bond 24 (and beyond)? Vote_lcap15%Who should direct Bond 24 (and beyond)? Vote_rcap
 15% [ 2 ]
Danny Boyle
Who should direct Bond 24 (and beyond)? Vote_lcap8%Who should direct Bond 24 (and beyond)? Vote_rcap
 8% [ 1 ]
David Fincher
Who should direct Bond 24 (and beyond)? Vote_lcap8%Who should direct Bond 24 (and beyond)? Vote_rcap
 8% [ 1 ]
Guy Ritchie
Who should direct Bond 24 (and beyond)? Vote_lcap0%Who should direct Bond 24 (and beyond)? Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Ridley Scott
Who should direct Bond 24 (and beyond)? Vote_lcap15%Who should direct Bond 24 (and beyond)? Vote_rcap
 15% [ 2 ]
Steven Spielberg
 15% [ 2 ]
Joe Wright
Who should direct Bond 24 (and beyond)? Vote_lcap23%Who should direct Bond 24 (and beyond)? Vote_rcap
 23% [ 3 ]
Matthew Vaughn
 15% [ 2 ]
Rupert Wyatt
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 13

AuthorMessage
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

Who should direct Bond 24 (and beyond)? Empty
PostSubject: Who should direct Bond 24 (and beyond)?   Who should direct Bond 24 (and beyond)? EmptySat May 05, 2012 6:24 am

Throw your ideas around.

For starters:

Tomas Alfredson - did a fantastic job with TTSS. I think his filmmaking style would really add to a Bond film.

Anton Corbijn - while I thought THE AMERICAN was a little bit dry, he definitely has a solid grip on visuals. Add a quality writer to the equation, and I think he could come up with a great Bond film.

Michael Winterbottom - I could imagine he'd have a great understanding of the Fleming source material and would be able to create a Bond film that comes close to the quality of the novels.

Last edited by FieldsMan on Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:21 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Added a poll... Then FieldsMan replaced Tarantino with Joe Wright.)
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Who should direct Bond 24 (and beyond)?   Who should direct Bond 24 (and beyond)? EmptySat May 05, 2012 6:28 am

This name has already been thrown elsewhere by Sharky and Harms, but I'd definitely like to see Edgar Wright get a crack at it if EON wanted to go for a lighter entry on the GOLDFINGER level.
Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Who should direct Bond 24 (and beyond)?   Who should direct Bond 24 (and beyond)? EmptySat May 05, 2012 10:11 am

Not sure how Skyfall will turn out, but from what I have seen of the film, and what I've read of Mendes, I say keep him on board. Unless the film turns out like DAD, which I doubt.
Back to top Go down
Prisoner Monkeys
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Prisoner Monkeys

PostSubject: Re: Who should direct Bond 24 (and beyond)?   Who should direct Bond 24 (and beyond)? EmptySat May 05, 2012 11:36 am

FieldsMan wrote:
from what I have seen of the film, and what I've read of Mendes, I say keep him on board
Maybe it's just me, but Mendes seems genuinely enthusiastic for the film. I know it always seems to be a thing where the latest director talks up how deeply enmeshed he is in Bond lore and everyone heaps praise on him for his vision, but I get the distinct impression that Mendes won't settle for producing anything less than the best film in the franchise. One of his early quotes that sticks with me basically says that, fifty years from now, he wants audiences to remember SKYFALL the way they do GOLDFINGER - that it will be the first Bond film any man on the street will name when asked to name the first one that springs to mind.

So if Mendes makes good on his promises, I'd be happy to see him stick around for another two or even three films. A little continuity in the director's chair could also help a lot.
Back to top Go down
MBalje
Q Branch
Q Branch
MBalje

PostSubject: Re: Who should direct Bond 24 (and beyond)?   Who should direct Bond 24 (and beyond)? EmptySat May 05, 2012 1:38 pm

Bond 24:

Cameron Crowe (Vanilla Sky). American. With consider Jonathan Sanger & Ronan O'Connor as second united directers ( (Vanilla Sky).), directer of photography by John Toll (Vanilla Sky, The Last Samurai) or Lance Acord (Lost In translation).

His last movie We Bought A Zoo released on 19 April in my country.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9utLA86o-I

Richard Kwietniowski (Owning Mahowny) English. http://www.sonyclassics.com/owning/core/hasFlash.html

Bond 25 or later:

Shekhar Kapur http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001408/

In a thread about future writers on mi6forums (see a litle bit later in my post.) i sugest the writers (writers of mix for old & young audince, drama and thrillers) Hossein Amini ( Shanghai 2010, Drive) and Michael Schiffer (The Peacemaker, Crimson Tide) , the directer and some other people of the crew ( it mean a comeback to Bond like Allan Cameron, the production designer of TMND) from The Four Feathers. Vic Armstrong is the second united directer of the movie and whyle i expect he wil never return to Bond, i think it can be intresting to have Shekhar Kapur as directer and Hossein Amini (With or without P&W) as writer. Or the return of Sam Mendes, Amini as writer and the costume designer from Four Feathers (Who also did The Painted Veil, Unknown and Daniel Craig with The Golden Compass ), Skyfall or Julie Weiss (American Beauty & Shanghai 2010).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmbcjq7DOgQ
The Four Feathers. Written by Hossein Amini and Michael Schiffer. Directed by Shekhar Kapur.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gif5xbcFd_Q
Shanghai 2010. Written by Hossein Amini.

Personaly i whant Bond 25 playing in England, Egypte, Switzerland,Germany, Denmark and another Europe country.

In general i hope on a new direction more in the style of OHMSS, Octopussy, TLD. Written by Hossein Amini and Michael Schiffer or Amini with P&W mabey be a good idea.

Writer threads, include a litle Motivation of Shekhar Kapur include some other people i like to see comeback. Repeat also a litle bit what written above.
M_Balje wrote:
Bond 24:

Cameron Crowe (Vanilla Sky). See the directer sugestion thread why.

Hossein Amini. (Drive, Shanghai)

Bond 25:

Hossein Amini. (Drive, Shanghai and The Four Feathers.) & Michael Schiffer ( The Four Feathers, The Peacemaker & Crimson Tide )

Hossein Amini mix of writing for old and young and action/adventures & thrillers.

I know we discus writers, but i like to look some steps further and give a good reasen. Tomorrow Never Dies production designer Allan Cameron (& second united directer Vic Armstrong) do another Bond movie because there working on The Four Feathers. Atleast Allan Cameron. Stuard Baid i like to see return then as editor (in specialy of the Madagascar scene's in CR.). For another choose insteed of Vic Armstrong mabey Paul Jennings (stunts or stunts coordinator for GE,Twine, The Mummy, The Saint, Mission Impossible ), Alan Stewart (Sherlock Holmes, Elizabeth: The Golden Age) or Alexander Witt. Phil Meheux can be re-consider as cinematopgrapher. The directer Shekhar Kapur (Born in India, but live in Uk.) can be intresting too. Antony Hunt (visual effects producer or Supervisor for Harry Potter, Entrapment, K-19: The Widowmaker, Goldeneye and The World Is Not Enough.) working on that movie also. . The guy who working on The Four Feathers, Never Say Never Again and The Mummy as Set Decorator be not avaible because he is to old and quite in 2002. But Peter Young Set Decorator of Tomorrow Never Dies, The Saint, and The Mummy Returns i think be good alternative. Watch the trailer http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi2549219609/ with James Bond humor, but moost import it look like it have a plot where the hero fight for his own country but also for a far from his beath country. Exact what i like to see be inprovement in the next 3 couple of Bond movies. Michael Schiffer who working with him on The Fourh Feathers is Thriller writer as you can see. This for the people who be afraid for to much Twine elements to make more another Twine AND TLD.

Ronald Bass (Entrapment, Amelia 2009) & Anna Hamilton Phelan (Amelia 2009) .

Open sugestion:

A 3 writers mix: Peter Straughan (The Debt, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy ), Michael Vaughn (The Debt, Layer Cake) & Jane Goldman (The Debt, James Bond Supports International Women's Day) then Vaughn or John Madden (directer of The Debt and working earlier with Judi Dench.) can be consider as directer.

General sugestions:

Katherine Bigalow. A present movie she directed change my opnion a litle bit, but i give her a itle bit of doubt.
A whyle a go i buy a K19 The Widow maker. If she direct a movie it should be another Goldeneye / The Spy Who Loved Me.

John Stockwell. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1446147/ American. The poster of Cat Run is amazing http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-cv3emMLJuSs/TZf-hnc8RkI/AAAAAAAAA80/QtwtGDydxXo/s1600/Cat+Run+poster.jpg and remember to the fire girl of Twine and litle bit FRWL, the trailer isn't bad and there be some English actors/style in it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkW8ePjFzk4 and Crazy/Beautiful is a very good movie. Have consider him as alternate choose of Cameron Crowe.

Michael J. Bassett (Solomon Kane 2009) http://michaeljbassett.wordpress.com http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1068186/

John Madden. See above. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0006960/
Back to top Go down
Loomis
Head of Station
Head of Station
Loomis

PostSubject: Re: Who should direct Bond 24 (and beyond)?   Who should direct Bond 24 (and beyond)? EmptySat May 05, 2012 11:03 pm

If I were in charge of BOND 24, I'd consider the following directors:

Danny Boyle - largely on the strength of TRAINSPOTTING rather than SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE. Not that TRAINSPOTTING is Bondian, of course (although it does contain some amusing Bond references), but it remains one of the finest British films of the past twenty years. A Boyle Bond would doubtless have some striking visuals, and he'd be sure to get the soundtrack right.

Martin Campbell - yes, I know he's said never again, but I'd love Campbell to follow Connery's lead and made a second Bond comeback. If there's one thing we know Campbell can do brilliantly it's make a superb Bond film every ten years or so.

Anton Corbijn - for me, THE AMERICAN was rather like QUANTUM OF SOLACE done right, not so much in terms of story but in terms of atmosphere. Corbijn nailed the downbeat 1970s conspiracy thriller flavour with a sophisticated European twist that Forster seemed to be striving for, and came up with some great visuals to boot. Corbijn's CONTROL was one of the best Brit flicks in recent memory.

Alejandro González Iñárritu - perhaps a bit too arty and independent-minded for Bond, he'd at the very least make a Bond film that was stunning to look at.

Sam Mendes - granted, we've yet to see a single frame of SKYFALL, but I have an extremely good feeling about it, and I'd like to see a director do two Bonds in a row again (hasn't happened since THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS and LICENCE TO KILL, of course).

Ben Wheatley - he's pretty much just started out, but this guy is definitely a rising star (career-wise, he seems in a roughly similar position to Danny Boyle circa SHALLOW GRAVE or Matthew Vaughn circa LAYER CAKE). His hitman horror flick KILL LIST has me very curious about what he'd do with Bond and a big budget.
Back to top Go down
bondfan06
'R'
'R'
bondfan06

PostSubject: Re: Who should direct Bond 24 (and beyond)?   Who should direct Bond 24 (and beyond)? EmptySat May 05, 2012 11:20 pm

Quote :
Alejandro González Iñárritu - perhaps a bit too arty and independent-minded for Bond, he'd at the very least make a Bond film that was stunning to look at.

BABEL was terribly awful. I wouldn't want him anywhere near Bond.

I like Tomas Alfredson, Edgar Wright and Anton Corbijn from the names being mentioned. I wouldn't mind Sam Mendes as long as SKYFALL is a success which I hope it is considering how passionate he seems to be about Bond.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Who should direct Bond 24 (and beyond)?   Who should direct Bond 24 (and beyond)? EmptySat May 05, 2012 11:24 pm

bondfan06 wrote:
Quote :

BABEL was terribly awful. I wouldn't want him anywhere near Bond.

Indeed. Perhaps the one 'sanctimonious liberal' flick that could CRASH a serious run for its money. Inarraitu would just be Marc Forster 2.0.
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: Who should direct Bond 24 (and beyond)?   Who should direct Bond 24 (and beyond)? EmptySun May 06, 2012 12:02 am

Edgar Wright would be nice.

Here's a random one to toss in: Alfonso Cuaron. I haven't even seen CHILDREN OF MEN, but he did make the only Harry Potter film I could sit through. That's a feat in my eyes. tongue And his Potter movie had a sense of fun from what I recall.

And he can handle sex.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Who should direct Bond 24 (and beyond)?   Who should direct Bond 24 (and beyond)? EmptySun May 06, 2012 12:06 am

CHILDREN OF MEN bored me to tears. A miserable watch.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Who should direct Bond 24 (and beyond)?   Who should direct Bond 24 (and beyond)? EmptySun May 06, 2012 12:50 am

Good choice, I'd go for Cuaron.
Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
trevanian
Head of Station
Head of Station
trevanian

PostSubject: Re: Who should direct Bond 24 (and beyond)?   Who should direct Bond 24 (and beyond)? EmptySun May 06, 2012 2:15 am

Cuaron for ANYthing I'm in favor of, but Corbijn seems a good bet for Bond (and a better bet for Babs.)
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: Who should direct Bond 24 (and beyond)?   Who should direct Bond 24 (and beyond)? EmptySun May 06, 2012 2:19 am

I'm not enamored with Cuaron's output, but I think he might make for a good Bond director.
Back to top Go down
Prisoner Monkeys
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Prisoner Monkeys

PostSubject: Re: Who should direct Bond 24 (and beyond)?   Who should direct Bond 24 (and beyond)? EmptySun May 06, 2012 3:05 am

Sharky wrote:
A miserable watch.
It was a pretty miserable concept for a film. Very nihilistic.

Clive Owen's "acting" certainly didn't help it.
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: Who should direct Bond 24 (and beyond)?   Who should direct Bond 24 (and beyond)? EmptySun May 06, 2012 3:17 am

Prisoner Monkeys wrote:
Sharky wrote:
A miserable watch.
It was a pretty miserable concept for a film. Very nihilistic.
Read the book. It's quite different.
Back to top Go down
trevanian
Head of Station
Head of Station
trevanian

PostSubject: Re: Who should direct Bond 24 (and beyond)?   Who should direct Bond 24 (and beyond)? EmptyWed May 09, 2012 2:09 am

The book is AWFUL. I've enjoyed some of James' stuff, but this is a case where the filmmakers took the germ of an idea and utterly transformed it into the fantastic film that most viewers ignored or were turned off by or plain-out didn't get. (Even my wife somehow didn't like it till the second viewing - but now is as devoted to it as to 2001 (not that we rewatch it as much.).
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: Who should direct Bond 24 (and beyond)?   Who should direct Bond 24 (and beyond)? EmptyWed May 09, 2012 2:53 am

trevanian wrote:
The book is AWFUL. I've enjoyed some of James' stuff, but this is a case where the filmmakers took the germ of an idea and utterly transformed it into the fantastic film that most viewers ignored or were turned off by or plain-out didn't get. (Even my wife somehow didn't like it till the second viewing - but now is as devoted to it as to 2001 (not that we rewatch it as much.).
I much prefer the novel. Not that it's a best-book-ever contender, but the novel's ideas treatment of the story's concepts are richer and more insightful than those in Cuaron's film adaptation, which has little thematic development worth speaking of beyond a generally cynical outlook on humanity. But I must confess that I am, in many ways, ideologically close to P. D. James, and so I am inclined to resent Cuaron's film for consistently undermining and/or abandoning the ideological content of the novel.
Back to top Go down
Prisoner Monkeys
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Prisoner Monkeys

PostSubject: Re: Who should direct Bond 24 (and beyond)?   Who should direct Bond 24 (and beyond)? EmptyWed May 09, 2012 3:47 am

Please don't roast me for this one, but here's a crazy idea I just had:

Ben Affleck.

I'll say that again, just so that we're clear here:

Ben Affleck.

The man cannot act to save his life. What is good for him would be merely okay for anyone else. But he does know how to direct, especially if it's a thriller. I was impressed by GONE BABY GONE, and the belief was reinforced with THE TOWN. And now that the trailer for ARGO has been released, I think he's made a pretty good case for himself as more than a one-trick pony:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rfhMZRMu_lk

I know, the name Affleck doesn't inspire a whole lot of confidence. But I think that, as a director, he would pleasently surprise a lot of people.
Back to top Go down
Loomis
Head of Station
Head of Station
Loomis

PostSubject: Re: Who should direct Bond 24 (and beyond)?   Who should direct Bond 24 (and beyond)? EmptyWed May 09, 2012 1:56 pm

ARGO looks like a real one-off. I've never before seen a trailer that switches genre so dramatically midway through. For the first minute or so, I thought I was watching a trailer for a gritty, realistic political drama (that looked really good), and then it turned into some sort of goofy caper comedy complete with John Goodman no less. A bit like THE IDES OF MARCH suddenly transforming into THE HANGOVER.

Of course, my first thought was "WTF?", but then I remembered that I'd read about this film a few months ago (as I understand it, it's about an audacious hostage rescue scheme disguised as a movie project - "the Canadian STAR WARS"). I think I read about ARGO as one of the best unproduced screenplays of the past couple of years, but I didn't realise that it had gone into production, much less that Affleck was directing and starring.

I didn't care for GONE BABY GONE, but I was very impressed by THE TOWN, and I'm really looking forward to seeing ARGO (I wonder whether Affleck will also give us an extended director's cut, as he did with THE TOWN). The trailer is unconventional, to be sure (and I'm curious to see how the shifts in tone from "serious" to "funny" and back again are handled in the finished film), but it's also riveting, not to mention visually striking. One of the most promising trailers I've ever seen, really.

I don't think Affleck would be a good director for Bond, though. What I think he would be great for is directing the next entry in the Jack Ryan franchise (but not starring in it). Harrison Ford returning to the role of Ryan with Affleck in the director's chair strikes me as a winning ticket.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Who should direct Bond 24 (and beyond)?   Who should direct Bond 24 (and beyond)? EmptyWed May 09, 2012 8:42 pm

Prisoner Monkeys wrote:
Please don't roast me for this one, but here's a crazy idea I just had:

Ben Affleck.

I'll say that again, just so that we're clear here:

Ben Affleck.

The man cannot act to save his life. What is good for him would be merely okay for anyone else. But he does know how to direct, especially if it's a thriller. I was impressed by GONE BABY GONE, and the belief was reinforced with THE TOWN. And now that the trailer for ARGO has been released, I think he's made a pretty good case for himself as more than a one-trick pony:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rfhMZRMu_lk

I know, the name Affleck doesn't inspire a whole lot of confidence. But I think that, as a director, he would pleasently surprise a lot of people.

For once I think I agree. Not too sure if he could do Bond, mabye if he does a couple more films first but yes...I see where you're going.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
j7wild
Head of Station
Head of Station
j7wild

PostSubject: Re: Who should direct Bond 24 (and beyond)?   Who should direct Bond 24 (and beyond)? EmptyWed May 09, 2012 10:02 pm

Florent-Emilio Siri

or

it's time for a woman to direct a Bond Film:

Marina de Van
Back to top Go down
Prisoner Monkeys
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Prisoner Monkeys

PostSubject: Re: Who should direct Bond 24 (and beyond)?   Who should direct Bond 24 (and beyond)? EmptyThu May 10, 2012 2:26 am

Loomis wrote:
ARGO looks like a real one-off. I've never before seen a trailer that switches genre so dramatically midway through. For the first minute or so, I thought I was watching a trailer for a gritty, realistic political drama (that looked really good), and then it turned into some sort of goofy caper comedy complete with John Goodman no less. A bit like THE IDES OF MARCH suddenly transforming into THE HANGOVER.
The trailer does have a bit of a tonal shift, yes ... but it's apparently based on a true story. The CIA really did get hostages out of Iran by setting up the production of a non-existant film and claiming the hostages were part of the film crew.
Back to top Go down
j7wild
Head of Station
Head of Station
j7wild

PostSubject: Re: Who should direct Bond 24 (and beyond)?   Who should direct Bond 24 (and beyond)? EmptyThu May 10, 2012 2:35 am

Another good French director:

Guillaume Canet.
Back to top Go down
MBalje
Q Branch
Q Branch
MBalje

PostSubject: Re: Who should direct Bond 24 (and beyond)?   Who should direct Bond 24 (and beyond)? EmptyThu May 10, 2012 4:33 pm

Bernard Rose, Uk. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0741262/
Mr Nice (2010) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApzPnkrTI4c (quote at 1.29 ''This isn't a James Bond movie'', and he also wrote the movie.)
The Kreutzer Sonata (2008) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8RjYCd9dAA
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Who should direct Bond 24 (and beyond)?   Who should direct Bond 24 (and beyond)? EmptyThu May 10, 2012 9:46 pm

j7wild wrote:
Another good French director:

Guillaume Canet.

I'm all for that if he directs his wife in the film!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Who should direct Bond 24 (and beyond)?   Who should direct Bond 24 (and beyond)? Empty

Back to top Go down

Who should direct Bond 24 (and beyond)?
Page 1 of 6Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bond And Beyond :: Bond :: The Bond Films: Reviews, Ratings & Discussion :: SPECTRE (2015)-
Jump to: