More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Hitchcock - the man and the movies

Go down 
+11
Makeshift Python
Salomé
Campbell4
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
hegottheboot
trevanian
Harmsway
j7wild
bondfan06
colly
The White Tuxedo
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
colly
Q Branch
Q Branch
colly

Hitchcock - the man and the movies - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hitchcock - the man and the movies   Hitchcock - the man and the movies - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 18, 2011 1:30 pm

Makeshift Python wrote:
Forgot to add: Laraine Day, indeed I would.

Watch her in a few more 40s films, then you wouldnt. Such a bland actress. :x

By the way, I arrive home today to find my sister raided my film collection to watch TORN CURTAIN - which I've owned for years but never watched. Sure, she watched it for Julie Andrews, but she enjoyed it enough - so there could be some hope at last!
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Hitchcock - the man and the movies   Hitchcock - the man and the movies - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 18, 2011 1:50 pm

x

Last edited by Erica Ambler on Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Hitchcock - the man and the movies   Hitchcock - the man and the movies - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 18, 2011 4:46 pm

Silly rabbit. Poppers are for Oppers.
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: Hitchcock - the man and the movies   Hitchcock - the man and the movies - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 17, 2011 5:10 pm

The final part of an epic, three-part video essay on Hitchcock's VERTIGO, entitled VERTIGO VARIATIONS, has been posted. I highly recommend it; it sheds new light on its complexities.

VERTIGO VARIATIONS by B. Kite and Alexander Points-Zollo
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Hitchcock - the man and the movies   Hitchcock - the man and the movies - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 17, 2011 7:12 pm

Thanks, Harms. Downloading it now. Looks interesting.
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: Hitchcock - the man and the movies   Hitchcock - the man and the movies - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 18, 2011 2:30 am

I hope you enjoy it. This video essay is very unusual in that it strives to be a work of art on its own terms, investigating the film through the use of visual abstraction. Very arthouse. I don't know whether its very arty mode of communication always works, but it makes for a fascinating experience, and it has some wonderful insight to offer.

I already loved VERTIGO, but after watching that series, I love it a helluva lot more.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Hitchcock - the man and the movies   Hitchcock - the man and the movies - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 18, 2011 2:56 am

It's a fine piece, though the attempt to be "arty" hinders communication, and frankly comes off as a pretentious film school major trying show off. It should be a visual-audio treatise on a work of art, or a work of art, not both. In choosing the middle ground, one slowly negates to other. This way lies confusion.
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: Hitchcock - the man and the movies   Hitchcock - the man and the movies - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 18, 2011 2:59 am

Godard has often explored the art-essay form. Do you think he's been any more or less successful?
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Hitchcock - the man and the movies   Hitchcock - the man and the movies - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 18, 2011 3:04 am

Much more. From one he's not relying on slowing down a dead composer's score and filling the frame with pointless grainy graphics. They're works of art first and foremost, the essay is secondary to that.

If this scholar considers himself a filmmaker like Godard, then I'm Arnold Palmer.
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: Hitchcock - the man and the movies   Hitchcock - the man and the movies - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 18, 2011 3:10 am

Sharky wrote:
Much more. From one he's not relying on slowing down a dead composer's score and filling the frame with pointless grainy graphics. They're works of art first and foremost, the essay is secondary to that.
No argument there, you just seemed to be attacking the idea of an art-essay as an intrinsically misguided effort.

Still, for all its failings, I do like the video essay.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Hitchcock - the man and the movies   Hitchcock - the man and the movies - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 18, 2011 3:12 am

I like the essay. The video could be of barn owls bobbing their heads, it wouldn't make any difference to me.
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Hitchcock - the man and the movies   Hitchcock - the man and the movies - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 18, 2011 8:01 pm

Outstanding essay. Didn't care for the distorted images and score.

Really enjoyed the conclusions about the alternate ending, along with the interpretations of the story--especially the idea that it's not only a film about necrophilia, but also a film about falling in love with nothing but a thought. Also shows how complex it actually it is, considering that critics and fans are still picking it apart and analyzing it to this day.

I find that the more I watch VERTIGO, the more eerie the film gets.
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: Hitchcock - the man and the movies   Hitchcock - the man and the movies - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 19, 2011 1:46 am

Mr. Brown wrote:
Didn't care for the distorted images and score.
In smaller doses, it would work. There are moments where the images and editing tricks do effectively bring out the uncanny elements of VERTIGO. There's just a lot of gratuitous, not-so-effective stuff in there, too.

Mr. Brown wrote:
Also shows how complex it actually it is, considering that critics and fans are still picking it apart and analyzing it to this day.
Yeah, and there are angles there that I'd never considered. VERTIGO is a marvelously peculiar film.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Hitchcock - the man and the movies   Hitchcock - the man and the movies - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 20, 2012 1:15 am

Makeshift Python wrote:
Rebecca (1940)

Started a Hitchcock countdown with his American debut Rebecca. When I first saw it I called it his best work but on this second viewing I won't call it that but it's still a very strong flick and there's so much I love about it. The cast, the sets, the cinematography, and the special effects of its day is still impressive for 1940. Only saw it once long ago not knowing any of the twists so it was fun to watch it knowing the whole story and seeing the little touches you wouldn't have noticed at first.

Foreign Correspondent (1940)

Now here comes the kind of flick Hitchcock is better known for with a globetrotting adventure with intrigue and romance (though I think the latter is a bit naff). Not that great, he did better stuff in The 39 Steps and later North By Northwest, however it's still a solid entry and worth an occasional view.

Next would be Mr. & Mrs. Smith but I think I'll just skip that. Saw it already last year and once was enough. Not that it was bad, but screwball is just not Hitchcock's forte. I remember getting the feeling Hitchcock would have wanted to add more black humor that suited him. Thus Suspicion is next and that's something I should actually try finishing. I dunno, last couple of times I would just tune out. How is that possible? It's got two great leads. Either way I'm determined to finish it. In the meantime...

Rebecca
Foreign Correspondent
Mr. & Mrs. Smith

Suspicion (1941)

And so I have. First attempt after the post above barely lasted. I just couldn't get into it. So I gave it another shot two months later, this Monday. My interest was on and off. I couldn't see what Fontaine really saw in Grant's character. He's just some rich fuck up, maybe it's the looks. It's the third act that engages me the most because that's when I start thinking "okay, maybe he will try killing her". Overall, technically well made in so many ways but not enough for me to hail it a classic.

Rebecca
Foreign Correspondent
Suspicion
Mr. & Mrs. Smith

Ironic I put it below FC because that flick had a less believable romance between the leads, but stuff like the Windmill sequence is what puts it above SUSPICION.
Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Hitchcock - the man and the movies   Hitchcock - the man and the movies - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 20, 2012 1:19 am

I suspect MR & MRS SMITH will stay near the bottom. laugh

Lame Hitchcock flick. Not as lame as TORN CURTAIN, though.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Hitchcock - the man and the movies   Hitchcock - the man and the movies - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 20, 2012 1:26 am

It was an okay screwball. Who knows where it might end up, there's plenty of Hollywood-era Hitchcock films I have yet to see.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Hitchcock - the man and the movies   Hitchcock - the man and the movies - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 11, 2012 12:01 am

Spellbound (1945)

Pretty good though not as great as it could be and the pop psychology can get silly. What really elevates this are the leads, Ben Hecht and Miklós Rózsa's score really works. Biggest gripe might be the ending. The gun turning onto the camera and shooting is an awesome effect but it's hurt by the sudden cut to Gregory Peck and Ingrid Bergman all smiles in a happy ending "hey, my long trusted friend was a murderer and committed suicide, OH WELL!" laugh

Also saw lifeboat awhile ago, forgot to post on it (oops) but it really holds up. I'm struggling between that and Rebecca from taking the top spot, but I give the latter the edge.

Rebecca
Lifeboat
Foreign Correspondent
Spellbound
Suspicion
Mr. & Mrs. Smith
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Hitchcock - the man and the movies   Hitchcock - the man and the movies - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 11, 2012 8:02 am

Notorious (1946)

Hitchcock - the man and the movies - Page 2 Cary

And so this takes the top spot. It's one of those flicks I grow to love more every time I watch it. This is Hitchcock in his element. And just to indulge Bond geekdom, I now see NORTH BY NORTHWEST is Hitchcock's Bond film but NOTORIOUS has Cary Grant's Bond. And dammit can Claude Rains play a semi-likable Nazi. It's also great looking even on DVD, I should rent the blu-ray sometime as I love the whole look of the flick.

Notorious
Rebecca
Lifeboat
Foreign Correspondent
Spellbound
Suspicion
Mr. & Mrs. Smith
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Hitchcock - the man and the movies   Hitchcock - the man and the movies - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 11, 2012 8:11 am

x

Last edited by Erica Ambler on Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Hitchcock - the man and the movies   Hitchcock - the man and the movies - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 13, 2012 7:12 am

The Paradine Case (1947)

Hitchcock does Court Room Drama. Well made flick, good cast, good writing, ect ect... But it's Everyone does their best, but the story isn't as intriguing as it could be. There's nothing exciting about the whole case, there's something predictable about the whole thing. This came after NOTORIOUS? Yeesh. It's very hard to rate this flick so I give it a 3.5 stars out of 5, because while the story isn't strong everything else works.

Notorious
Rebecca
Lifeboat
Foreign Correspondent
Spellbound
Suspicion
The Paradine Case
Mr. & Mrs. Smith

Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: Hitchcock - the man and the movies   Hitchcock - the man and the movies - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 13, 2012 7:35 am

Have you seen UNDER CAPRICORN? I'll take another look at it sometime (I have the DVD), but it's the only Hitchcock film where I can't think of a standout redeeming feature that I liked. Granted, it's been a couple years.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Hitchcock - the man and the movies   Hitchcock - the man and the movies - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 13, 2012 7:44 am

I've only seen a bit of the beginning of UNDER CAPRICORN last year, but that was only to get a glimpse of this costume drama by Hitchcock. Looked interesting to me and I like the cast. After THE PARADINE CASE I have a feeling I'll dig the production values and performances more than the story. We'll see. I have it with me now but I'll watch it tomorrow night.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Hitchcock - the man and the movies   Hitchcock - the man and the movies - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 14, 2012 8:11 am

Under Capricorn (1949)

The highest compliment I can give this flick is that it's competently made. Like THE PARADINE CASE this has a lot of elements that make it a solid film, maybe even better. It's got high production values. If remastered I'm sure it would look and sound like one of the best movies ever made. But like film mentioned above, it isn't that interesting of a story. It's a costume drama, made by Hitchcock, but it's still a costume drama in the typical sense. He does his best with what he has but it's clear this just isn't his thing. But I wouldn't call it underwhelming like MR. & MRS. SMITH. It's a better effort.

Notorious
Rebecca
Lifeboat
Foreign Correspondent
Spellbound
Suspicion
The Paradine Case
Under Capricorn
Mr. & Mrs. Smith

I place it under PARADINE by a small margin, cuz at least that was closer to Hitchcock's niche.
Back to top Go down
trevanian
Head of Station
Head of Station
trevanian

PostSubject: Re: Hitchcock - the man and the movies   Hitchcock - the man and the movies - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 14, 2012 4:26 pm

Isn't CAPRICORN the one where he continued (and I guess ended) his ROPE fixation of really long takes and swinging walls up out of the camera's way a la ONE FROM THE HEART?

I honestly don't remember anything about when I saw the movie, only the reading about it in a Hitch bio (probably Spotto.)
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Hitchcock - the man and the movies   Hitchcock - the man and the movies - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 14, 2012 8:09 pm

Nah that experiment wasn't used in it. Forgot to mention ROPE, I skipped it on this run because I've already seen it plenty of times and I was eager to get on CAPRICORN. With ROPE in mind, here's where it would be on the current ranking

Notorious
Rebecca
Lifeboat
Rope
Foreign Correspondent
Spellbound
Suspicion
The Paradine Case
Under Capricorn
Mr. & Mrs. Smith
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hitchcock - the man and the movies   Hitchcock - the man and the movies - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Hitchcock - the man and the movies
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next