These forums may contain mild adult content and are not associated with EON, Sony or any other companies and do not reflect their views.
 
HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 
 

 Hitchcock - the man and the movies

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
FieldsMan
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 4180
Member Since : 2010-05-13
Location : The Alpine Room

PostSubject: Re: Hitchcock - the man and the movies   Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:27 am

Looks good. The acting looks fantastic.
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 6062
Member Since : 2011-03-14
Location : ELdorado 5-9970

PostSubject: Re: Hitchcock - the man and the movies   Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:54 pm

Looks watchable at least.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 6800
Member Since : 2011-03-14
Location : Up

PostSubject: Re: Hitchcock - the man and the movies   Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:19 pm

Trying to resume my long delayed Hitchcock countdown.

Stage Fright (1950)

Surprisingly good. Really liked Wyman for the most part, though Alastair Sim pretty much stole every scene for me. And so a Hicthcock film features a man on the run wrongfully accused of murder, except...
Spoiler:
 

Can't blame Hitch for not pulling such a small twist again otherwise peeps might expect it. Lesson: Never believe a flashback sequence when the "wrongfully accused" character explains it.

Notorious
Rebecca
Lifeboat
Rope
Foreign Correspondent
Stage Fright
Spellbound
Suspicion
The Paradine Case
Under Capricorn
Mr. & Mrs. Smith
Back to top Go down
Erica Ambler
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 5338
Member Since : 2011-08-05

PostSubject: Re: Hitchcock - the man and the movies   Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:11 pm

This guy is a fat dead irrelevant whiteman and I'm glad the number of posts in this thread reflect that truth.

Six pages as opposed to the 180 that Star Trek has generated. We're all adults here.
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 2326
Member Since : 2011-03-17

PostSubject: Re: Hitchcock - the man and the movies   Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:39 pm

Well I'm certainly interested in a Hitch discussion, but what aspect of the man do you want to focus on?
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
Moderator
Moderator


Posts : 10600
Member Since : 2011-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Hitchcock - the man and the movies   Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:42 pm

His lovely pair of tits.
Back to top Go down
Erica Ambler
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 5338
Member Since : 2011-08-05

PostSubject: Re: Hitchcock - the man and the movies   Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:44 pm

Well, I suppose we should address the current hysteria. Because I was under the impression that most of Hitchcock's work featured very strong roles for women, far more so than was normal for the time.
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 2326
Member Since : 2011-03-17

PostSubject: Re: Hitchcock - the man and the movies   Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:18 am

Its an irrelevant criticism anyway, any work of art will be a reflection of the realities of the day.
Back to top Go down
Erica Ambler
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 5338
Member Since : 2011-08-05

PostSubject: Re: Hitchcock - the man and the movies   Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:38 am

Well, I don't think that's true. Original thinkers exist in all eras, though in the UK continuing anti-free speech legislation has curbed them somewhat. And I'd argue that Hitchcock was one of those original thinkers. The female leads in The 39 Steps, Shadow of a Doubt, Rear Window, Vertigo, North by Northwest and Psycho, to name just six, were strong and in some cases very advanced and daring characters.

Needless to say, the Fucking Cunting Guardian disagrees:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2010/oct/21/alfred-hitchcock-women-psycho-the-birds-bidisha

Simplistic bullshit by somewhat completely unfamiliar with his work.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
Moderator
Moderator


Posts : 10600
Member Since : 2011-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Hitchcock - the man and the movies   Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:13 am

Oh Bidisha. Wouldn't wanna be ya.
Back to top Go down
Erica Ambler
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 5338
Member Since : 2011-08-05

PostSubject: Re: Hitchcock - the man and the movies   Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:05 am

For sometime now, Prisoner Monkeys and I have been working on a remake of that piece of shit Vertigo. We got rid of its rampant misogyny and made it sexier for the burgeoning teen market. We introduced plenty of social justice to attract the Hollywood A-listers and now we have an exciting and topical plot direction. It's fresh and new yet still remains true to the original.

High fucking five.

Quote :
An 18-year-old woman who was apparently "obsessed with necrophilia," has been accused of having three-way sex on top of the corpses of two men she and her sexual partners allegedly murdered.

A police investigation into a brutal double murder in the town of Joliet, Illinois is said to have found that the bodies of 22-year-olds Eric Glover and Terence Rankins were placed in a pile after being strangled, so that Alisa Massaro could lie on them to have sex.

One of the men in the group of accused murderers, 24-year-old Joshua Miner, apparently said he was the long-term boyfriend of Massaro, adding that “for years back she wanted to have sex with a dead guy”.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/necrophiliaobsessed-girl-among-double-murder-accused-in-threeway-sex-case-8513472.html
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 2326
Member Since : 2011-03-17

PostSubject: Re: Hitchcock - the man and the movies   Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:13 am

I have to eat in a couple of hours, Ambler... blink
Back to top Go down
Campbell4
Correspondent
Correspondent
avatar

Posts : 148
Member Since : 2014-10-02
Location : Robot Arms Apts & Planet Express

PostSubject: Re: Hitchcock - the man and the movies   Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:49 am

Do they read de Sade in Illinois?
Back to top Go down
Erica Ambler
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 5338
Member Since : 2011-08-05

PostSubject: Re: Hitchcock - the man and the movies   Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:22 am

Do they read in Illinois?
Back to top Go down
Control
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 5137
Member Since : 2010-05-13
Location : Slumber, Inc.

PostSubject: Re: Hitchcock - the man and the movies   Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:19 am

Erica Ambler wrote:
For sometime now, Prisoner Monkeys and I have been working on a remake of that piece of shit Vertigo. We got rid of its rampant misogyny and made it sexier for the burgeoning teen market. We introduced plenty of social justice to attract the Hollywood A-listers and now we have an exciting and topical plot direction. It's fresh and new yet still remains true to the original.

High fucking five.

Quote :
An 18-year-old woman who was apparently "obsessed with necrophilia," has been accused of having three-way sex on top of the corpses of two men she and her sexual partners allegedly murdered.

A police investigation into a brutal double murder in the town of Joliet, Illinois is said to have found that the bodies of 22-year-olds Eric Glover and Terence Rankins were placed in a pile after being strangled, so that Alisa Massaro could lie on them to have sex.

One of the men in the group of accused murderers, 24-year-old Joshua Miner, apparently said he was the long-term boyfriend of Massaro, adding that “for years back she wanted to have sex with a dead guy”.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/necrophiliaobsessed-girl-among-double-murder-accused-in-threeway-sex-case-8513472.html

I like it. Just a few suggestions...


50 Cent or Sean "Puffy" Combs as Scottie Ferguson
Ellen Page as Judy/Madeline
Chris Hemsworth as Elster
Rosie Huntington Whiteley as Midge

Directed by J.J. Abrams, Paul Haggis or Bryan Singer
Score by John Ottman
Theme song by Ariana Grande and One Direction (lots of money-making potential when the soundtrack is released)

Back to top Go down
Erica Ambler
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 5338
Member Since : 2011-08-05

PostSubject: Re: Hitchcock - the man and the movies   Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:59 pm

Sound suggestions, Brown. Seems Disney is interested in a whole slate of Hitch-inspired movies so Prisoner Monkeys will be pitching this update of Psycho:

Quote :
Teenager 'lost virginity to mother's corpse' after killing her with a hammer

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/teenager-lost-virginity-mothers-corpse-4404581#ixzz3FeFlhZpF

I'm thinking Ryan Gosling as Kevin Davis, Halle Berry as Mother.
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 2326
Member Since : 2011-03-17

PostSubject: Re: Hitchcock - the man and the movies   Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:48 pm

Last Hitch feature I watched was "Shadow of a Doubt". Such an underrated gem. I love the atmosphere, and the way the library scene was shot is masterful film-making.
Hitch also gives California a near magical property.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 6800
Member Since : 2011-03-14
Location : Up

PostSubject: Re: Hitchcock - the man and the movies   Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:19 pm

And it has Teresa Wright.





OOOGGNNN.....
Back to top Go down
Control
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 5137
Member Since : 2010-05-13
Location : Slumber, Inc.

PostSubject: Re: Hitchcock - the man and the movies   Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:48 pm

Erica Ambler wrote:
Seems Disney is interested in a whole slate of Hitch-inspired movies so Prisoner Monkeys will be pitching this update of Psycho:

Quote :
Teenager 'lost virginity to mother's corpse' after killing her with a hammer

I'm thinking Ryan Gosling as Kevin Davis, Halle Berry as Mother.

Eli Roth presents...

Salomé wrote:
Last Hitch feature I watched was "Shadow of a Doubt". Such an underrated gem. I love the atmosphere, and the way the library scene was shot is masterful film-making.
Hitch also gives California a near magical property.

Underrated indeed. And it's unfortunate because it's one of his best films. I think it's miles ahead of NORTH BY NORTHWEST and even PSYCHO.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
Moderator
Moderator


Posts : 10600
Member Since : 2011-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Hitchcock - the man and the movies   Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:27 am

I like SHADOW OF A DOUBT, but it's ruined Dimitri Tiomkin's awful score. For that alone I'd never put it above PSYCHO or NORTH BY NORTHWEST.
Back to top Go down
Erica Ambler
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 5338
Member Since : 2011-08-05

PostSubject: Re: Hitchcock - the man and the movies   Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:01 am

This interesting fragment is all that remains of a long interview that Hitchcock gave the BBC in 1959. He confirms that Shadow of a Doubt is the favourite of his films.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/features/desert-island-discs/castaway/94e588c8#p009y7js
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 2326
Member Since : 2011-03-17

PostSubject: Re: Hitchcock - the man and the movies   Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:32 am

Control wrote:
Erica Ambler wrote:
Seems Disney is interested in a whole slate of Hitch-inspired movies so Prisoner Monkeys will be pitching this update of Psycho:

Quote :
Teenager 'lost virginity to mother's corpse' after killing her with a hammer

I'm thinking Ryan Gosling as Kevin Davis, Halle Berry as Mother.

Eli Roth presents...

Salomé wrote:
Last Hitch feature I watched was "Shadow of a Doubt". Such an underrated gem. I love the atmosphere, and the way the library scene was shot is masterful film-making.
Hitch also gives California a near magical property.

Underrated indeed. And it's unfortunate because it's one of his best films. I think it's miles ahead of NORTH BY NORTHWEST and even PSYCHO.
"North by Northwest" was a very well-made film, but I always deemed it a Hollywood rehashing of "The 39 Steps", which I much prefer.
Back to top Go down
Erica Ambler
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 5338
Member Since : 2011-08-05

PostSubject: Re: Hitchcock - the man and the movies   Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:52 pm

Hitchcock's ill-fated film on German war crimes is the subject of a new documentary from André Singer. "Night Will Fall" is on Channel 4 on Saturday 24 January at 9pm.

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/jan/09/holocaust-film-too-shocking-to-show-night-will-fall-alfred-hitchcock
Back to top Go down
Staugust
Correspondent
Correspondent
avatar

Posts : 99
Member Since : 2014-11-07
Location : Is it safe?

PostSubject: Re: Hitchcock - the man and the movies   Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:29 pm

Back to top Go down
Control
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 5137
Member Since : 2010-05-13
Location : Slumber, Inc.

PostSubject: Re: Hitchcock - the man and the movies   Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:30 pm

Hilly KCMG wrote:
Frenzy

what can I say but for a start you have a fine opening shot of London. For someone who cares about such things, the glimpse of old London is something. Such as the shots of Covent Garden back in its market days.
As for the film itself, it's not too bad but it doesn't feel right. More like any British made film of the era than a Hitchcock film. For what it's worth Ron Goodwin, a quiet favourite of mine, does enough of a job but I'd like to re-listen 'out of movie' to get a better taste.
And then there's Barry Foster. Part of me will always think of him in his Battle of Britain role ("SILENCE! In Polish!") but here he's on form. Reading about him ended up making me want to seek out Twisted Nerve.
Overall not a bad film but as I say not vintage Hitchcock. The inspector and what passes as dinner were good, the villain risable, the innocent man so-so and the locations, good.

A 'shout-out' to Foster's scene in the lorry as he tries to find his pin and fighting the stiff foot of the corpse.




I like FRENZY a lot more than TORN CURTAIN, MARNIE or even THE BIRDS. I always find it fascinating to watch, say, VERTIGO and then follow it with something like FRENZY. The shift is unbelievable. And it's not like the type of the shift that you'd find with THE 39 STEPS vs. VERTIGO. Something had gone seriously wrong at the end of his career.

Hitchcock was a tragic case. One of the 20th century's greatest and most successful artists, brought down by pop music and the short attention spans of teenage theater goers.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Hitchcock - the man and the movies   

Back to top Go down
 
Hitchcock - the man and the movies
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bond And Beyond :: Beyond :: Film News & Film Discussion-
Jump to: