These forums may contain mild adult content and are not associated with EON, Sony or any other companies and do not reflect their views.

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

The Girl Who Played With Fire Cancelled?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
j7wild
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: The Girl Who Played With Fire Cancelled?   Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:10 am

No loss for me.

I didn't think Fincher's version was that great; especially when he took liberty with the ending and made the cop-out ending that was boring and unemotional.

The Swedish version is still the best one!

Quote :
Production on The Girl Who Played With Fire may be halted due to financial concerns

June 4, 2012

Is the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo sequel cancelled?

That's a theory being put forth by E! Online.

The entertainment news outlet is reporting that the first movie, in what is intended to be a series based on the bestselling books by Stieg Larsson, did not make a profit and that the "signs do not look good" for the intended sequel.

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo — directed by David Fincher and starring Rooney Mara as angry, victimized protagonist Lisbeth Salander — cost a reported $100 million or so to make and, despite being incredibly violent and rated R, brought in about $231 million at the global box office. But E! reports that the take wasn't enough to break even after marketing and promotion costs, and the film suffered a modest loss.

Back in January, a Sony rep insisted that the second movie, The Girl Who Played With Fire, was still moving forward. But now a rep reportedly says the sequel is 'still in development" and there is no listed shoot or release date for the sequel on IMDB. Also, The Girl Who Played With Fire isn't currently mentioned on Mara's upcoming movies list. All of this has been taken to suggest that the flick might not be happening.

If that's the case, you can still see the Swedish versions. All three of Larsson's books, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, The Girl Who Played with Fire and The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest, were adapted into Swedish language movies, released in 2009, by production company Yellow Bird.

And why not, it was a stupid idea to begin with, Fincher or not.

Nothing beats the original trilogy, Americanizing it took the Darwin award as far as i'm concerned, trying to sell it to Europe was even more ridiculous.
Back to top Go down
Control
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: The Girl Who Played With Fire Cancelled?   Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:19 am

Too bad. I liked DRAGON TATTOO.
Back to top Go down
j7wild
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: The Girl Who Played With Fire Cancelled?   Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:21 am

I do have to give Rooney credit for a job well done and would have loved to see her in the 2 sequels.

But I feel Fincher didn't fully capture the essence and the power and the impact and the shock of the Millenium Trilogy.
Back to top Go down
Control
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: The Girl Who Played With Fire Cancelled?   Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:29 am

I thought it made for a solid mystery/thriller. Mara was outstanding.

Craig's performance was on the fence. Not superb, not shit. And it seemed like his accent just faded away after the first half hour. laugh

Fincher did some great work, as usual, with the film's visuals and Reznor came up with an interesting score. I really wanted to see a follow-up to the film. Maybe less of Craig, more of Mara (I haven't read the novels, so I don't know if Craig's character returns or not).
Back to top Go down
j7wild
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: The Girl Who Played With Fire Cancelled?   Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:38 am

The best part of Fincher's version is the title sequence.

Whoever the person who created that sequence is, he should be doing the title sequence for Skyfall.
Back to top Go down
FieldsMan
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: The Girl Who Played With Fire Cancelled?   Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:55 am

I thought the American version was actually better. I liked the Swedish one, but I thought that Fincher's was fantastic. Aside from the last 20 mins (it seemed to just be slapped on - wasn't necessary) and the score, I thought it was quite good.
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: The Girl Who Played With Fire Cancelled?   Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:03 am

FieldsMan wrote:
I thought the American version was actually better. I liked the Swedish one, but I thought that Fincher's was fantastic. Aside from the last 20 mins (it seemed to just be slapped on - wasn't necessary) and the score, I thought it was quite good.

Mostly agreed. I didn't mind the changed ending; I don't recall it altering the possibility for the sequels in any meaningful way, and though the original trilogy of films is quite good, I just happen to think Fincher's Tattoo is even better. Maybe it's because it runs longer and puts in more detail; maybe it's because it's in English. Don't know; can't say.
Back to top Go down
j7wild
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: The Girl Who Played With Fire Cancelled?   Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:14 am

Gravity's Silhouette wrote:
Maybe it's because it runs longer and puts in more detail; maybe it's because it's in English. Don't know; can't say.

Have you seen the Swedish Extended version of the Trilogy?

That's what you have to see
Back to top Go down
Jack Wade
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: The Girl Who Played With Fire Cancelled?   Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:55 am

j7wild wrote:
The best part of Fincher's version is the title sequence.

Whoever the person who created that sequence is, he should be doing the title sequence for Skyfall.
I don't know about that. It was a nice title sequence, sure, but there wasn't anything overwhelmingly Bondian about it.
Back to top Go down
Prisoner Monkeys
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: The Girl Who Played With Fire Cancelled?   Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:11 am

If they do make FIRE, then they need to merge it with HORNET'S NEST. They're both really the same story, but they're a bloated, preachy and self-indulgent mess. DRAGON TATTOO flirted with the notion - sometimes the story would slow down so that Larsson could make A Very Important Statement about violence against women - but FIRE and HORNET'S NEST just went all the way over the edge and then wrapped everything up with a lazy court case.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark

PostSubject: Re: The Girl Who Played With Fire Cancelled?   Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:27 am

Great news.
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: The Girl Who Played With Fire Cancelled?   Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:32 pm

The girl with the lighter might wanna move.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Girl Who Played With Fire Cancelled?   

Back to top Go down

The Girl Who Played With Fire Cancelled?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bond And Beyond :: Beyond :: Film News & Film Discussion-
Jump to: