More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Unborn babies could be tested for 3,500 genetic faults

Go down 
+2
Gravity's Silhouette
Control
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

Unborn babies could be tested for 3,500 genetic faults Empty
PostSubject: Unborn babies could be tested for 3,500 genetic faults   Unborn babies could be tested for 3,500 genetic faults EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 9:40 pm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/9315265/Unborn-babies-could-be-tested-for-3500-genetic-faults.html

Quote :
Scientists could soon be able to routinely screen unborn babies for thousands of genetic conditions, raising concerns the breakthrough could lead to more abortions.

A team has been able to predict the whole genetic code of a foetus by taking a blood sample from a woman who was 18 weeks pregnant, and a swab of saliva from the father.

They believe that, in time, the test will become widely available, enabling doctors to screen unborn babies for some 3,500 genetic disorders.

At the moment the only genetic disorder routinely tested for on the NHS is Down’s syndrome.

This is a large-scale genetic defect caused by having an extra copy of a bundle of DNA, called a chromosome.

Other such faults are sometimes tested for, but usually only when there is a risk of inheriting them from a parent.

Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Gravity's Silhouette

PostSubject: Re: Unborn babies could be tested for 3,500 genetic faults   Unborn babies could be tested for 3,500 genetic faults EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 11:11 pm

Control wrote:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/9315265/Unborn-babies-could-be-tested-for-3500-genetic-faults.html

Quote :
Scientists could soon be able to routinely screen unborn babies for thousands of genetic conditions, raising concerns the breakthrough could lead to more abortions.

A team has been able to predict the whole genetic code of a foetus by taking a blood sample from a woman who was 18 weeks pregnant, and a swab of saliva from the father.

They believe that, in time, the test will become widely available, enabling doctors to screen unborn babies for some 3,500 genetic disorders.

At the moment the only genetic disorder routinely tested for on the NHS is Down’s syndrome.

This is a large-scale genetic defect caused by having an extra copy of a bundle of DNA, called a chromosome.

Other such faults are sometimes tested for, but usually only when there is a risk of inheriting them from a parent.

When I read articles similar to this I can't help but wonder how a gay or lesbian person could not be pro-life on this issue. If homosexuality is genetic, at some point doctors will be able to test for the genetic marker, inform the parent of the fetus' sexuality, and give a couple the option to abort or not. That is, unless some pro-choice lawmakers pass legislation banning abortion based on sexual orientation, which would seem ironic to me, as that is a very non pro-choice position to take. Already legislation is being considered in some states to ban abortion based on the gender of the child (for which, apparently, Planned Parenthood has no problem with).
Back to top Go down
j7wild
Head of Station
Head of Station
j7wild

PostSubject: Re: Unborn babies could be tested for 3,500 genetic faults   Unborn babies could be tested for 3,500 genetic faults EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 11:42 pm

People shouldn't play God!

I've seen enough horror movies to see what happens when people played God!

p.s.

I don't believe in God.

I'm an Atheist!
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Unborn babies could be tested for 3,500 genetic faults   Unborn babies could be tested for 3,500 genetic faults EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 11:48 pm

GATTACA meets reality.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Unborn babies could be tested for 3,500 genetic faults   Unborn babies could be tested for 3,500 genetic faults EmptyWed Jun 13, 2012 12:17 am

j7wild wrote:

p.s.

I don't believe in God.

I'm an Atheist!

and a true wordsmith
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Unborn babies could be tested for 3,500 genetic faults   Unborn babies could be tested for 3,500 genetic faults EmptyWed Jun 13, 2012 12:32 am

j7wild wrote:

p.s.

I don't believe in God.

I'm an Atheist!

I'm sure you've helped many people lose their faith.
Back to top Go down
Jack Wade
Head of Station
Head of Station
Jack Wade

PostSubject: Re: Unborn babies could be tested for 3,500 genetic faults   Unborn babies could be tested for 3,500 genetic faults EmptyWed Jun 13, 2012 12:39 am

j7wild wrote:

Unborn babies could be tested for 3,500 genetic faults Futurama-fry-not-sure-if
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Unborn babies could be tested for 3,500 genetic faults   Unborn babies could be tested for 3,500 genetic faults Empty

Back to top Go down

Unborn babies could be tested for 3,500 genetic faults
Page 1 of 1