These forums may contain mild adult content and are not associated with EON, Sony or any other companies and do not reflect their views.

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Share | 

Mad Men

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 25 ... 49  Next
AuthorMessage
The White Tuxedo
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Mad Men   Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:47 am

Can't wait for Season 5. I had planned to buy the show on Blu-ray. I'm not sure yet. I'll probably just Netflix the thing again before S5 comes on. And then have to wait week-to-week when this show demands chainwatching.

Last edited by The White Tuxedo on Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:21 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Vesper
Senior Correspondent

PostSubject: Re: Mad Men   Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:57 am

I was actually going to come post this today laugh

The reason: totally hit it off with a chick who's a dead ringer for Jessica Pare today. :twisted:
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Mad Men   Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:59 am

Vesper wrote:
I was actually going to come post this today laugh

The reason: totally hit it off with a chick who's a dead ringer for Jessica Pare today. :twisted:

Damn. Hope she has better teeth, though. Anybody else think Jessica Pare is sorta like an inferior Eva Green?
Back to top Go down
Vesper
Senior Correspondent

PostSubject: Re: Mad Men   Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:00 am

I still don't think it's the teeth so much as are her gums. They'e like a goddamn mountain range! The teeth aren't bad but if her gums weren't so massive.

But this chick does, FWIW :twisted:.. bilingual in French too. Eery.

I think Pare and Green look pretty different to be honest. I can't pin who Pare reminds me of, but the jawline is pretty different.

I also can't wait for season five. Well I can, but the promise of more home-life stuff from The Drapers 2.0 is a good thing. The show suffered for being so office focused last year, IMO.

Don't like the Joan twist though, it's really soap-opera-y even by this show's standards, and it just seems like writing her into a wall.

Last edited by Vesper on Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mad Men   Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:58 am

I like Jessica's teeth. Then again, I'm English. Mind you, I was more of a fan of Melinda Page Hamilton's face. Such a square head.

I was a bit hasty denouncing Mad Men on MI6 as feminist propaganda. The show does tend to polarize viewers, though; if you're over 30 you watch it with nostalgia for a better world. If you're under 30 you thinks 'Jesus. Men used to be such c*nts.'

Still think the show could do with a bit more plot.
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Mad Men   Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:01 am

Nice to see you gave it another chance Ambler.

It is amazing that a show so devoid of any character the audience can easily identify with has achieved such success. They are obviously greatly helped by their period setting and a generally top notch cast.

I do think they took the Betty character too far in season three and beyond, she has become a bit of a caricature.
Back to top Go down
Vesper
Senior Correspondent

PostSubject: Re: Mad Men   Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:18 am

Season three I think still made sense, but last season was silly. I think Keirnan Shipka's extremely talented for her age, but making Betty the villain to her protagonist is too simplistic. Hopefully that relationship becomes more complex because I can't see Megan remaining this idealised figure of motherhood for too long.

To Jones' credit, the scene in the child psychologists office in episode 5 and the last one between her and Don in the finale were well played, though.

Anyone seen Boardwalk Empire? I bring it up because it's a clear HBO reaction to Mad Men's success. Besides the noticeable bigger budget is it any better/completely different/worse?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mad Men   Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:23 am

Salomé wrote:
I do think they took the Betty character too far in season three and beyond

True, they changed her from put upon wife to a bit of a child. Not sure why or how that happened, but the sessions on the psychiatrist's coach didn't really explain her condition. However, my main beef with Mad Men is its lack of plot and nudity. I don't think a show that requires constant power shagging can be taken seriously without skin. I suppose that's down to AMC. Shame the show wasn't on HBO or Showtime.

Why don't you open a Deadwood thread, Daisy? It's still my favourite TV show of the last 10 years.
Back to top Go down
CJB
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Mad Men   Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:25 am

I've watched most of Season 2 and (I think, can't recall) 3, though I sometimes felt a bit lost without the first season. Gotta remember to downlo-- obtain it legally through a monetary transaction.

On a related note, why don't unions ever fight for whiskey and cigarettes in the workplace?
Back to top Go down
Fae
Senior Correspondent

PostSubject: Re: Mad Men   Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:26 am

Vesper wrote:

Anyone seen Boardwalk Empire? I bring it up because it's a clear HBO reaction to Mad Men's success. Besides the noticeable bigger budget is it any better/completely different/worse?
I've seen it advertised on Foxtel and intend to check it out.
Back to top Go down
Vesper
Senior Correspondent

PostSubject: Re: Mad Men   Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:30 am

CJB wrote:
I've watched most of Season 2 and (I think, can't recall) 3, though I sometimes felt a bit lost without the first season. Gotta remember to downlo-- obtain it legally through a monetary transaction.

On a related note, why don't unions ever fight for whiskey and cigarettes in the workplace?

Watch series one, it will mostly make more sense. It gets good around episode 5.
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Mad Men   Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:30 am

Vesper wrote:

Well it's a slow burner, it only really takes off around the halfway mark of the season. It might have the finest ensemble cast of any current show. And you can see in nearly every frame they spared no expense to make it look as real and authentic as possible.

Gretchen Mol's character is one of the most memorable TV moms in the medium's history. tongue
Back to top Go down
Vesper
Senior Correspondent

PostSubject: Re: Mad Men   Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:10 am

So the rumours that Gretchen Mol can act turned out to be true?

Well I'll be darned. Does she get her tits out?
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Mad Men   Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:40 am

Vesper wrote:
So the rumours that Gretchen Mol can act turned out to be true?

Well I'll be darned. Does she get her tits out?

It's an HBO show and she plays a showgirl dancer. You do the math. ;)

I'm still not convinced she's a great actress but the good thing about that show's cast is that no one is asked to do anything that is beyond their capabilities.
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Mad Men   Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:19 am

http://www.latimes.com/features/image/la-ig-madmen-20110320,0,1311762.story
Back to top Go down

Mad Men

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 49Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 25 ... 49  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bond And Beyond ::  :: -