More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Mad Men

Go down 
+19
Largo's Shark
Jack Wade
Control
Harmsway
Gravity's Silhouette
Toppers
GeneralGogol
trevanian
Makeshift Python
MBalje
colly
Fairbairn-Sykes
Prince Kamal Khan
retrokitty
Fae
CJB
Salomé
Vesper
The White Tuxedo
23 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 16 ... 31  Next
AuthorMessage
retrokitty
'R'
'R'
retrokitty

Mad Men - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mad Men   Mad Men - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 6:14 am

Jessica Pare and Anne Hathaway have similar knockers.

I don't watch the show... :( I have been told by friends that I must or be disowned by them.
Back to top Go down
Prince Kamal Khan
Q Branch
Q Branch
Prince Kamal Khan

Mad Men - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mad Men   Mad Men - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 7:09 am

If you're a Mad Men fan, I highly recommend the following 2 films from the earlier(and better) half of the 1960s:

Mad Men - Page 2 435237.1010.A

and

Mad Men - Page 2 0011871c_medium

They're both very funny spoofs of the advertising era during that time period.
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

Mad Men - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mad Men   Mad Men - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 7:17 am

retrokitty wrote:
Jessica Pare and Anne Hathaway have similar knockers.

I don't watch the show... :( I have been told by friends that I must or be disowned by them.

Back to top Go down
Fairbairn-Sykes
Head of Station
Head of Station
Fairbairn-Sykes

Mad Men - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mad Men   Mad Men - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 3:37 pm

Prince Kamal Khan wrote:
If you're a Mad Men fan, I highly recommend the following 2 films from the earlier(and better) half of the 1960s:

and

I recommend CASH McCALL. It's less of a spoof and more of an awesome.
Back to top Go down
http://goldenagebat.blogspot.com
Vesper
Head of Station
Head of Station
Vesper

Mad Men - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mad Men   Mad Men - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 02, 2011 7:00 am

30 million for three seasons is ridiculous. But it's not like Weiner's ego is a secret or anything. Glad it'll be back.

When it came out that part of the dispute involved cutting series regulars, I think it showed the full idiocy of the world and the internet that all the blogs/forums thought January Jones was the prime candidate as opposed to, gee, Aaron Staton, Rich Sommer, Robert Morse, or Jared Harris.

I mean, the character's gone downhill, but it's not like she isn't crucial to the show or anything. Then again you really can't be surprised by people's failure to think critically on the internet.
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

Mad Men - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mad Men   Mad Men - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 02, 2011 7:20 am

Vesper wrote:
30 million for three seasons is ridiculous. But it's not like Weiner's ego is a secret or anything. Glad it'll be back.

When it came out that part of the dispute involved cutting series regulars, I think it showed the full idiocy of the world and the internet that all the blogs/forums thought January Jones was the prime candidate as opposed to, gee, Aaron Staton, Rich Sommer, Robert Morse, or Jared Harris.

I mean, the character's gone downhill, but it's not like she isn't crucial to the show or anything. Then again you really can't be surprised by people's failure to think critically on the internet.

I'd keep Morse and Sommer. Harris I'd rather see stay, but Staton I couldn't care less. Are they really gonna cut peeps?

As for Betty. I don't fucking get why so many people equate "I wouldn't want to have coffee with that character" and "that character needs to leave the show". So many people are fucking stupid and wanna have every character be likable and all happy and smiles and shit. Betty is my favorite character on the show. She's an icy bitch, and she's just getting colder. Aside from turning me on immensely, I also find it to be interesting to watch.
Back to top Go down
Vesper
Head of Station
Head of Station
Vesper

Mad Men - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mad Men   Mad Men - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 02, 2011 7:46 am

No cast cuts for anything other than creative reasons. Weiner managed to rob the bank and get everything else he wanted. No wait, he'll have to produce a 45 minute version of episodes 2-12 in each season and save the 47 minute versions for DVD, not like that will wind up being a selling point that winds up making him even more money or anything...

I could live without Sommer and Staton, they don't add much of substance to the show. My point was all of those characters are rather fungible. Morse may well be out after this season anyway (they never really stressed whether his whole "Fuck this, I need the cigarette business" was a proper departure or not) but he never really added much depth to the show's narrative after the first two seasons.

And I have to roll my eyes everytime someone says "Don and Betty are divorced now. She's not important to his life anymore, so she should be off the show"

You know, don't overlook the children, the massive chunk of his life that involved her, the fact that she's one of four people who know about his true identity and everything. Clearly a divorce means you're done with that person for ever.

People are stupid.

Then again reading the internet occassionally, I'm pretty sure a sizeable portion of the female fanbase just get wet at the sight of Jon Hamm and assume Don Draper is a victim in everything and in no way responsible for his actions.

People are stupid.

January Jones is sexy.

She needs to do a movie where she shows her baps.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

Mad Men - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mad Men   Mad Men - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 02, 2011 9:33 am

Vesper wrote:
People are stupid.
True, but you're thinking with your dick.

This is the Don Draper story and he's divorced Betty. Time to move on. Or bury her under the patio.
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

Mad Men - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mad Men   Mad Men - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 02, 2011 10:01 am

And January Jones is - if you're being generous and rank John Slattery below her - the second worst actor on the entire cast. tongue

Though at least Slattery occasionally provides us with a bit of fun.
Back to top Go down
colly
Q Branch
Q Branch
colly

Mad Men - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mad Men   Mad Men - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 02, 2011 12:53 pm

Fairbairn-Sykes wrote:
Prince Kamal Khan wrote:

and

I recommend CASH McCALL. It's less of a spoof and more of an awesome.

Nah - PKK's two selctions are far superior. They're too incisive to be called "spoofs" - dont like the word.
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

Mad Men - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mad Men   Mad Men - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 02, 2011 8:04 pm

I don't think Betty should be dropped entirely, but I think a move to recurring (which she kind of was in S4 if I recall) would be the best. Unless they can find something really interesting to do with her character. I do like the idea of Henry being involved with politics and Betty being a political wife. I just don't think she should be dropped entirely.
Back to top Go down
Vesper
Head of Station
Head of Station
Vesper

Mad Men - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mad Men   Mad Men - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 03, 2011 7:13 am

If they hadn't gone and made Sally Draper such a pivotal character I'd agree she'd be irrelevant but well, they did.

And I'd rank Jones above Slattery, Staton, and Sommer... and the kid who plays Bobby, and at this stage, Shipka. (Clutching at straws? What straws?)

Slattery was typecast for two decades or so for a reason laugh, outside of the witty/playboy shtick he's not particularly good for much other than this role... Hendricks elevates him, but even then there were moments last season where

Jones is not exceptional by any means but she's got a role that's just suited for her abilities, IMO.
Back to top Go down
MBalje
Q Branch
Q Branch
MBalje

Mad Men - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mad Men   Mad Men - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 08, 2011 12:42 pm

For Dutch/Belgium people S3 of Mad Men starts tonight 22.55/23.00-23.50 Nederland 2. Each Wednesday. Episode 1-7 (8,15,22,29 June / 6, 13 and 20 July) around 22.55/23.00 and the last 6 episdes (27 July / 3,10,17,24 and 31 August.) around 23.20/23.30 til 00.20. The last episode of season 3 be on 31 August.

Mad Men - Page 2 Headermadmenseizoen3van
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

Mad Men - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mad Men   Mad Men - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 12, 2011 6:24 am

Just started watching this bitch. On episode four now. I like it. I'll chime in my thoughts when I finish the season.
Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
trevanian
Head of Station
Head of Station
trevanian

Mad Men - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mad Men   Mad Men - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 14, 2011 12:49 am

I think the thing with the Jones character is that they didn't push hard enough when they had her act out. Her brief encounter at the end of s2 could have been something electrifying and disturbing, like Lee Remick in a heap and barking at mongrel dogs in HARD CONTRACT. Instead, it just felt obligatory.

I probably shouldn't second-guess a show I like this much, but there's always something missing with her character for me. I wonder if she'd get cast as an android in a BLADE RUNNER remake, there's a serious lack of empathy she gives off in the things i've seen her thus far. (on the BR subject, gotta say that I'd welcome a legit/faithful adaptation of DO ANDROIDS DREAM OF ELECTRIC SHEEP, which I think could be managed without owing much to Scott's landmark version.) January Jones always make me think FemBot, like a contemporary Mudd's Woman on TREK. (not that that is a good thing.)
Back to top Go down
GeneralGogol
Q Branch
Q Branch
GeneralGogol

Mad Men - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mad Men   Mad Men - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 14, 2011 6:54 pm

I'm finishing up season 2 and so far am loving Mad Men for what it is. It's obviously a show that's in love with its own style and some of the substance is fairly shallow and robotic, but Jon Hamm and Christina Hendricks make it very watchable. Betty should be shown more often in lingerie though.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

Mad Men - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mad Men   Mad Men - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 15, 2011 10:54 am

Be careful what you wish for. Betty turns into a monster.
Back to top Go down
Toppers
'R'
'R'
Toppers

Mad Men - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mad Men   Mad Men - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 02, 2011 7:17 am

They better not cut Morse. Yeah, he brings no real substance to the story, but some of the stuff he comes out with is just downright funny.
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Gravity's Silhouette

Mad Men - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mad Men   Mad Men - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 02, 2011 8:44 pm

Have to admit, Don Draper (Jon Hamm) was the real draw in the first 2 or 3 seasons. I didn't care much for his character in Season 4, but one actor who has probably been overlooked throughout the entire series, but I find the most interesting and consistently entertaining, is Pete Campbell (Vincent Kartheiser). There's something so desperate and sad about him; no matter how hard he tries to get ahead, it always seems to just barely elude his grasp. He's overshadowed by Draper at every turn. I loved it when he got fired and had a panic attack and a meltdown in his office.

Of course January Jones was a fox in the first few seasons, but she's started to come across as a totally unsympathetic bitch. And often the series seems to bring up plot points that it never resolves i.e. Betty's shaking hands or the date rape of Joan by her fiance (later to become her husband).

And, I know this'll sound cliched, but give Draper a comma of black hair dangling in his face and a scar down his cheek and THIS IS JAMES BOND 007. I think Matt Weiner has even said he drew a lot of inspiration from Fleming's 007 novels (or the Connery films)
Back to top Go down
GeneralGogol
Q Branch
Q Branch
GeneralGogol

Mad Men - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mad Men   Mad Men - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 03, 2011 3:44 pm

Gravity's Silhouette wrote:
Have to admit, Don Draper (Jon Hamm) was the real draw in the first 2 or 3 seasons. I didn't care much for his character in Season 4, but one actor who has probably been overlooked throughout the entire series, but I find the most interesting and consistently entertaining, is Pete Campbell (Vincent Kartheiser). There's something so desperate and sad about him; no matter how hard he tries to get ahead, it always seems to just barely elude his grasp. He's overshadowed by Draper at every turn. I loved it when he got fired and had a panic attack and a meltdown in his office.

Of course January Jones was a fox in the first few seasons, but she's started to come across as a totally unsympathetic bitch. And often the series seems to bring up plot points that it never resolves i.e. Betty's shaking hands or the date rape of Joan by her fiance (later to become her husband).

And, I know this'll sound cliched, but give Draper a comma of black hair dangling in his face and a scar down his cheek and THIS IS JAMES BOND 007. I think Matt Weiner has even said he drew a lot of inspiration from Fleming's 007 novels (or the Connery films)

When I started season 1, I expected Campbell to be among the main leads, like Draper, throughout the whole series. He's nowhere near as fascinating, but I agree that he does bring some unintentional comedy and some of his desperation is entertaining.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

Mad Men - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mad Men   Mad Men - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 09, 2011 4:59 am

Just finished S2. Just gets better and better. I'll comment more when I finish S4. Don't want to run into spoilers in this thread.
Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
Vesper
Head of Station
Head of Station
Vesper

Mad Men - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mad Men   Mad Men - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 09, 2011 1:42 pm

Series four is a nosedive compared to the previous three, IMO. Everything's a bit too on the nose.

Still interested in series 5 though. Seeing auteurs implode is fun and it'll have to happen to Weiner sometime soon.
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

Mad Men - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mad Men   Mad Men - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 12, 2011 12:25 am

Oh, I don't know about that. I thought S3 had some pretty significant weak stretches, and, on the whole, I think I preferred S4 to S3. It's true that things may be a bit more on the nose, but S4 is a bit more consistent than S3.

As far as S5 goes, they need to move away from some of the mainstay plotlines of the first four seasons, which have all run out of mileage, and get Don Draper into a different place. Hopefully they realize that.
Back to top Go down
Vesper
Head of Station
Head of Station
Vesper

Mad Men - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mad Men   Mad Men - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 27, 2011 2:13 am

Mad Men - Page 2 Article-2050362-0E52736700000578-285_468x803

How the mighty have fallen :/
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent