These forums may contain mild adult content and are not associated with EON, Sony or any other companies and do not reflect their views.

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Obituaries

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
AuthorMessage
Hilly KCMG

PostSubject: Re: Obituaries   Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:41 am

the Indie has a bit more than what the Beeb had.

Quote :
Alexandra Bastedo, the actress best known for her role in the 1960s television sci-fi series The Champions, has died following a long illness.

She was 67.

Mrs Bastedo, who had battled against cancer, had also starred on TV in Absolutely Fabulous, Boon and the Agatha Christie Hour.

Her beauty and talent on television, stage and film won her a legion of fans who paid tribute following her death today.

In later life, animal rights supporter Mrs Bastedo founded the ABC Animal Sanctuary near Pulborough, West Sussex, which announced her death.

The charity said on Twitter: "It is with great sadness that we announce that Alexandra Bastedo passed away this Sunday afternoon after a long illness aged 67. She will be sadly missed"

Mrs Bastedo had been married since 1980 to distinguished theatre producer and director, Patrick Garland, until his death following a long illness at the age of 78 in April last year.

The couple married at Chichester Cathedral, and after his death she paid tribute to him as a "wonderful man" who had staunchly supported her animal charity.

From a young age, Mrs Bastedo's love for animals shone through. She would spend her spare time as a child at her local vets helping to clean and look after animals.

She harboured ambitions to become a vet, but at the age of 16 she was discovered by Columbia Pictures and sent to Hollywood to make a horror film called The Candy Web.

Aged 20, following a number of TV shows, she won her big break starring in ITV's The Champions, which ran for a year from 1968 and "totally changed my life".

Mrs Bastedo once revealed: "As a result I made 12 Spanish, American and South American films and learnt to speak fluent Spanish as well as Italian and French.

"At one time I maintained apartments in Madrid, Toronto and London.

"Because of my languages I also presented Miss World with Peter Marshall and was invited to 10 Downing Street to talk to the Italian (prime minister Amintore) Fanfani and his ministers who were in England on a trade mission.

"I once worked out that I was on an airplane once every 10 days.

"Eventually I had enough of my nomadic existence, returned to live full-time in England and married Patrick Garland, the artistic director of the Chichester Festival Theatre, considered to be the third most important theatre in England."

The couple moved to Chichester and bought a 16th century farmhouse set within three acres, enabling Mrs Bastedo to fulfil her dream of rescuing animals.

She continued to act in plays at Chichester, helped Garland with his charity work and raised money for the smaller Minerva Theatre.

Tributes were paid by actress Liza Goddard. She wrote on Twitter: "My dear friend Alexandra Bastedo died today. A beautiful person who will be greatly missed."

Actor Peter Egan, also a supporter of the ABC Animal Sanctuary, wrote: "Deeply sad. Our dear friend Alexandra Bastedo lost her battle with cancer at 4pm today. A beautiful woman and Animal Champion."

PA
Back to top Go down
lachesis
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Obituaries   Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:26 am

Sad to note the passing of Roger Lloyd Pack a great British character actor of 'Dibley' and 'Only Fools' fame among many others. Like Bastedo he was only in his 60's.

BBC News Article
Back to top Go down
Hilly KCMG

PostSubject: Re: Obituaries   Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:51 am

Oscar-winning actor Maximilian Schell dies

Quote :
Austrian actor Maximilian Schell, who won an Oscar for his role in the 1961 film Judgment at Nuremberg, has passed away at the age of 83.

He died overnight at a clinic in the Austrian city of Innsbruck after "a sudden and serious illness", his agent said.

Schell had been treated for pneumonia earlier this week.

He was one of the most famous German-speaking actors to have gained international fame.

The actor's wife was reportedly at his bedside when he died.

Schell had been in filming in Austria when he fell ill last Saturday.

He was taken to hospital and treated for a lung infection, but discharged on Tuesday.

Colourful career

Born in the Austrian capital, Vienna, in 1930, Schell was one of four children of a Swiss author and an Austrian actress.

His parents emigrated to Switzerland eight years later when Austria was annexed by Nazi Germany.

A stage actor, Schell began his Hollywood career in the late 1950s when he starred alongside Marlon Brando in the World War Two film, The Young Lions.

In 1961, he was awarded an Oscar for best actor for his role as the defence lawyer of a Nazi war criminal.

The cast also included Marlene Dietrich, Burt Lancaster and Spencer Tracy.

Over the next three decades, Schell appeared in numerous big US productions.

His diverse characters ranged from a museum treasure thief in Topkapi (1964), to a mad scientist in sci-fi film The Black Hole (1979), to a Russian KGB colonel in Candles in the Dark (1998).

Schell featured in a large number of international TV productions. His part as communist revolutionary Vladimir Lenin in the US series Stalin earned him a Golden Globe in the early 1990s.

Schell also directed several movies, including his 1984 Oscar-nominated documentary Marlene, about Marlene Dietrich.

Schell's late sister Maria was also a renowned actress.
Back to top Go down
Jack Wade
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Obituaries   Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:41 am

Philip Seymour Hoffman has been found dead of an apparent drug overdose. He was 46.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304626804579358943360702878
Back to top Go down
Hilly KCMG

PostSubject: Re: Obituaries   Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:02 am

Not an exaggeration to say it's a shock. Utterly sad.

RIP
Back to top Go down
Fairbairn-Sykes
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Obituaries   Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:07 am

A complete and utter shock. Drug overdose at 46? Devastating. Tragic. RIP.

Back to top Go down
http://goldenagebat.blogspot.com
dr. strangelove
Experienced Correspondent

PostSubject: Re: Obituaries   Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:20 pm

I read about his drug problem a while back, but I thought he went through rehab and was doing alright. This is truly shocking and very sad news. Only 46 years old and three kids as well. Terrible.

Wonderful actor, too. He will definitely be missed.
Back to top Go down
lachesis
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Obituaries   Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:27 am

A real tragedy for anyone let alone someone so talented and so young (even if I was rather shocked to learn he was only 46).

RIP and condolences to family and friends.
Back to top Go down
Hilly KCMG

PostSubject: Re: Obituaries   Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:59 am

latimes.com/obituaries/la-et-st-sid-caesar-pioneer-of-live-television-comedy-dies-at-91-20140212,0,5712035.story

latimes.com

Sid Caesar, pioneer of live television comedy, dies at 91

Quote :
By Dennis McLellan

12:27 PM PST, February 12, 2014

Sid Caesar, a television pioneer who reigned as the king of live TV sketch comedy in the 1950s with his inspired brand of mimicry, pantomime and satire on the classic comedy-variety series “Your Show of Shows” and “Caesar’s Hour,” died Wednesday. He was 91.

Caesar died at his home in Beverly Hills after a brief illness, according to his biographer and friend Eddy Friedfeld.

A two-time Emmy Award-winning performer during his TV heyday in the `50s, Caesar has been hailed as “one of the great TV clowns,” “one of television’s most inventive performers” and “a genius at making people laugh.”

“Television had its share of comedy geniuses,” Times television critic Howard Rosenberg wrote in 1994. “Yet arguably none has been as uniquely gifted and inventive as Caesar. Watching him perform, you just know light bulbs are popping continuously in his brain.”

With his flair for verbal and physical comedy honed while performing during his World War II service in the Coast Guard and in nightclubs and theaters after the war, Caesar burst on the national scene in 1949 as the star of the “Admiral Broadway Revue,” a live, hourlong show from New York that aired Friday nights simultaneously on NBC and the DuMont network.

The Max Liebman-produced show, which was built around Caesar and teamed him with comedic actress Imogene Coca for the first time, featured guest stars, comedy sketches and large production numbers.

The “Admiral Broadway Revue” was a hit — so much so that it was canceled after less than five months when the Admiral Corp. withdrew its sole sponsorship: It reportedly needed to use the money it had been putting into the program to build a new factory to keep up with the skyrocketing number of orders for its TV sets generated by the show.

PHOTOS: Celebrities react to Sid Caesar's death

But the “Admiral Broadway Revue” was only a warmup for what Caesar later called the main event: “Your Show of Shows.”

The live, 90-minute Saturday night show, produced by Liebman and showcasing the comic ensemble of Caesar, Coca, Carl Reiner and Howard Morris, aired from 1950 to 1954 and won two Emmys for best variety show.

Caesar later likened performing the 90-minute show live before a theater audience, without the aid of cue cards or TelePrompTers, to doing a new Broadway show each week. And they did it 39 weeks each season.

Out of that pressure cooker came innumerable classic comedy moments.

There were domestic sketches, including one in which Caesar and Coca are a married couple trying to decide how to tip at a fancy restaurant. In another, Caesar is a husband who is so anxious about a big meeting the next morning that he can’t fall asleep. But instead of taking sleeping pills, he mistakenly takes pep pills.

PHOTOS: Celebrities by The Times

In one of the show’s most memorable sketches, Caesar, Coca, Reiner and Morris wordlessly played the figures on a large town clock in Bavaria that appear with mechanical precision on the hour, until the clock goes on the fritz.

Caesar later said the key to the show’s success “unquestionably was the writing.”

Among the members of the “Your Show of Shows” legendary writers’ room, in addition to Brooks, were Mel Tolkin, Lucille Kallen, Tony Webster, Joe Stein, Neil and Danny Simon, and Reiner (a self-described “writer without portfolio”).

A complete obituary will follow at latimes.com/obits.

Back to top Go down
Jack Wade
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Obituaries   Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:37 am

Back to top Go down
Hilly KCMG

PostSubject: Re: Obituaries   Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:59 am

Massively sad news. Next to Ghostbusters loved him in Stripes.

RIP
Back to top Go down
Strangways&Quarrel

PostSubject: Re: Obituaries   Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:15 am

Loved this scene in GhostBusters, "I collect spores, molds and fungus."

RIP, you will definitely be missed.
Back to top Go down
lachesis
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Obituaries   Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:10 am

Jack Wade wrote:
Harold Ramis has died at 69.

http://my.chicagotribune.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-79423939/

Very sad and another one only in their 60's...

RIP
Back to top Go down
Control
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Obituaries   Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:12 am

Joan Rivers is dead at 81.

"I've had so much plastic surgery. When I die, they'll donate me to Tupperware."

Funny woman. I loved the "don't give a fuck" approach to her comedy.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Obituaries   Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:15 am

The red carpet won't be the same. There's always that American Idol guy, I guess. Not that I care about the red carpet. The most I've seen of Joan Rivers was when she appeared on PEE-WEE'S PLAYHOUSE, and maybe Hollywood Squares.

Back to top Go down
Hilly KCMG

PostSubject: Re: Obituaries   Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:43 am

She was a classy act. Though the modern comedy roasts are what they are nowadays, hers was funny if for her shouting at audience groans: "IT'S FUNNY!"

When she appeared on TV over here it was a riot. Just couldn't give a shit, almost like Rickles.

What a dame.
Back to top Go down
Control
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Obituaries   Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:43 am

Hilly KCMG wrote:
Just couldn't give a shit, almost like Rickles.

What a dame.

Yeah, she definitely came from the Rickles school of humor. You really don't get that too much anymore.
Back to top Go down
Hilly KCMG

PostSubject: Re: Obituaries   Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:30 am

Sir Donald Sinden has passed, aged 90.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-29170773

Perhaps his best role was in the Cruel Sea, the filming of which he almost drowned during were it not for Hawkins. For me there's the fun of his role in Doctor in the House amongst several others. The old age of British cinema is all but gone it seems.
A couple of years ago he was hosting one of these "An Evening With..." in London and were it not for work I'd have been there. Tried once to get an interview with him for something I was writing for at uni'.
Whatever the case, RIP to a legend of stage and screen.
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Obituaries   Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:10 pm

JAN HOOKS has died at age 57.

http://www.tmz.com/2014/10/09/jan-hooks-dead-dies-snl/

And boooooy, am I going to miss her. She was an Atlanta-native, her local sketch show had me cracking up as a kid. When she went to SNL, she was even funnier. So sorry to see her pass so young.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Obituaries   Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:16 pm

Of all the SNL women, she was my very favorite. Sad to hear her passing.
Back to top Go down
Hilly KCMG

PostSubject: Re: Obituaries   Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:23 am

Loved her appearances in 3rd Rock, had great moments with French Stewart's Harry. So young, and so sad.
Back to top Go down
Erica Ambler
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Obituaries   Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:46 am

George Sluizer (1932-2014)

Embarrassed to say I have only just learnt of the death of George Sluizer yet he died in late September. I can't say when exactly; his career had dwindled away to that extent.

I'll remember Sluizer for the unique distinction of directing one of the best and one of the worst films I've seen; both were called The Vanishing. The original is up there along with Tobe Hooper's Texas Chainsaw Massacre as the most terrifying film I've seen. The Hollywood remake ... isn't.

What went wrong with Sluizer might make an interesting film in its own right. Right now, maybe it's enough to say that - like so many great Europeans before him - his talent simply didn't survive the move to Hollywood.
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Obituaries   Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:03 pm

Hilly KCMG wrote:
Loved her appearances in 3rd Rock, had great moments with French Stewart's Harry. So young, and so sad.

"Demonic raisins I rebuke you!" Probably Jan Hooks and Dana Carvey at their finest:

https://screen.yahoo.com/jan-hooks-snl-skits/church-chat-jim-tammy-faye-000000956.html
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Obituaries   Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:47 am

Erica Ambler wrote:
George Sluizer (1932-2014)

Embarrassed to say I have only just learnt of the death of George Sluizer yet he died in late September. I can't say when exactly; his career had dwindled away to that extent.

I'll remember Sluizer for the unique distinction of directing one of the best and one of the worst films I've seen; both were called The Vanishing. The original is up there along with Tobe Hooper's Texas Chainsaw Massacre as the most terrifying film I've seen. The Hollywood remake ... isn't.

What went wrong with Sluizer might make an interesting film in its own right. Right now, maybe it's enough to say that - like so many great Europeans before him - his talent simply didn't survive the move to Hollywood.

I have to agree with your appraisal of both Spoorloos and the quite terrible remake. The horrendous nature of the American version would be more understandable if the project had been helmed by another director, who did not fully understand the material.
But Sluizer himself cannot possibly have been unaware of the fact that changing the ending would destroy the feature's emotional wallop. Which means he most likely gave in to pressure from the producers.

What probably added to the quick nose-dive of his Hollywood career was River Phoenix untimely, early death.

As a side-note, Gene Bervoets (the lead in the original) recently married his mistress of many years.
Back to top Go down
Control
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Obituaries   Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:02 am

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Obituaries   

Back to top Go down

Obituaries
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 12 of 14Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next