These forums may contain mild adult content and are not associated with EON, Sony or any other companies and do not reflect their views.

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Babs Broccoli: Interview with the Vamp

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
AMC Hornet
Senior Correspondent

PostSubject: Re: Babs Broccoli: Interview with the Vamp   Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:12 am

FieldsMan wrote:

...if [Barbara Broccoli] actually thinks that Fleming was a feminist... she shouldn't be producing Bond films.

I beg to differ -

As long as Ms. B thinks that Fleming's views were sufficiently feminist, and produces/casts the films accordingly, let her continue.

It's only if she tries to impose her feminist views while claiming that Fleming would be in agreement, that I see a problem.

In the meantime, I see no problem with characters like Natalia Simonova, Wai Lin, Vesper Lynde or Camille. They're certainly more interesting when they're able to keep with Bond. Tilly Masterton, Melina Havelock and especially Stacey Sutton - as characters - would have benefited by having someone with some modicum of acting chops play them.

IMO, of course.
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Babs Broccoli: Interview with the Vamp   Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:21 am

AMC Hornet wrote:

As long as Ms. B thinks that Fleming's views were sufficiently feminist, and produces/casts the films accordingly, let her continue.

It's only if she tries to impose her feminist views while claiming that Fleming would be in agreement, that I see a problem.

Would Fleming be in agreement with this:

I consider that to be imposing her feminist views. But what I find far more fascinating about Barbara is that she tries to stake a claim in diametrically opposed territories: she wants to be both a feminist and make a profit off of James Bond, yet not appear as though she's selling out womankind. In order for her to appease her feminist friends and soothe her conscience, she's had to alter the dynamic of the series. In the case of bringing in Judi Dench, the casting worked in spite of Babs intentions (Dench is my favorite M). But other changes haven't worked so well.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Babs Broccoli: Interview with the Vamp   Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:33 am

Forget about the ad, it has nothing to do with canon.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark

PostSubject: Re: Babs Broccoli: Interview with the Vamp   Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:09 am

1 don't think he's still talking about that PSA, at least hope not.
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Babs Broccoli: Interview with the Vamp   Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:53 am

Largo's Shark wrote:

I was and I am.

Python wrote:

It may not be canon, but I don't think it can be honestly said that Babs isn't letting her personal, political beliefs influence the direction of the Bond series; not after she pulled that stunt with the PSA.
Back to top Go down
AMC Hornet
Senior Correspondent

PostSubject: Re: Babs Broccoli: Interview with the Vamp   Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:45 pm

She didin't do it alone -

Dench spoke, and Dan appeared. He wasn't forced to do it. Just because he's in agreement with BB doesn't mean he's 'pussywhipped' or otherwise in BB's power.

Can't a man be a man and still support feminism, or must the actor playing Bond perforce be a genuine "sexist, misogynist dinosaur" to please the masses (or at least some of us here)?

Connery defended his position on striking women (yes, that again) and didn't make any new fans - outside those already lounging about in their La-z-boys dressed in 'wife-beater' undershirts drinking American beer (not Heineken) straight from the can, barking "hell yeah! You tell 'em, Seen!".

Call me whatever, but I tend to judge films on their own merits, not on the extra-curricular politics of their makers (otherwise I would never watch a John Wayne film - ever).

Barbara Broccoli can be a feminist and be a Bond movie-producing hypocrite, as far as I care. Bond, under her and MGW's stewardship, has not been turned into a shill for feminism in the films, nor have the films become platforms for espousing a feminist viewpoint. But times they are a-changin', and a man can't - and must't try to - exist in the 21st century clinging to "TIMID, outdated and unrrrealistic policies."

Nothing in the trailer suggests to me that Bond will don an apron and let Eve do the dirty work while he stays home and washes the dishes (not the goal of feminism anyway). Sometimes I think, in this the internet age, that we have access to too much information.

Give me Skyfall - I just won't watch the PSA again, even if for some reason it were included in the DVD package.

Last edited by AMC Hornet on Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: a   Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:05 am

Gravity's Silhouette wrote:
Largo's Shark wrote:

I was and I am.

Python wrote:

It may not be canon, but I don't think it can be honestly said that Babs isn't letting her personal, political beliefs influence the direction of the Bond series; not after she pulled that stunt with the PSA.

Agreed. We cannot dismiss that PSA so easily. It says a great deal, and it left a mark.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: s   Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:09 am

AMC Hornet wrote:

Dench spoke, and Dan appeared. He wasn't forced to do it. Just because he's in agreement with BB doesn't mean he's 'pussywhipped' or otherwise in BB's power.

Can't a man be a man and still support feminism, or must the actor playing Bond perforce be a genuine "sexist, misogynist dinosaur" to please the masses (or at least some of us here)?

Connery defended his position on striking women (yes, that again) and didn't make any new fans - outside those already lounging about in their La-z-boys dressed in 'wife-beater' undershirts drinking American beer (not Heineken) straight from the can, barking "hell yeah! You tell 'em, Seen!".

Call me whatever, but I tend to judge films on their own merits, not on the extra-curricular politics of their makers (otherwise I would never watch a John Wayne film - ever).

Barbara Broccoli can be a feminist and be a Bond movie-producing hypocrite, as far as I care. Bond, under her and MGW's stewardship, has not been turned into a shill for feminism in the films, nor have the films become platforms for expousing a feminist viewpoint. But times they are a-changin', and a man can't - and must't try to - exist in the 21st century clinging to "TIMID, outdated and unrrrealistic policies."

Depends on what you mean by feminism. If you mean equal opportunity and equal pay for equal work--which we already have in the Western world--then sure a man can be a feminist. But if by feminism you mean abolition of gender distinctions and/or subordination of men to women, then you cannot be a real man and be a feminist. And any man who dons a dress loses a hell of a lot of respect from me.

PS--Just what policies do you mean, hmm?
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark

PostSubject: Re: Babs Broccoli: Interview with the Vamp   Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:14 am

Quote :
And any man who dons a dress loses a hell of a lot of respect from me.

Barry Humphries, Dick Emery, Sean Connery?
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Babs Broccoli: Interview with the Vamp   Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:12 am

AMC Hornet wrote:

Fair points to be sure, but the buck stops with her and Michael. And since she's talked about her feminist philosophy AND the PSA was in aid of International Women's Day, AND the ad bitched and complained to Bond that women in the U.K were still making 25% less than men doing the same job (allegedly) and that 1 in 3 women in the world were going to be raped, murdered or assaulted by a man at some point in their life....yeah, I kind of think the blame for this one belongs squarely in the lap of Barbara. I just can't imagine that Michael G. WIlson woke up one morning and convinced Daniel and Judi to take part in this.

Quote :

The problem with your question is that it assumes some of these feminists are okay with a man being a man, but many aren't, and they're trying to change men. MOST of these feminists organizations despise men and the "patriarchal" system they live under.

Quote :

I don't know what John Wayne's politics were or who he ever voted for, but I doubt very seriously it was considered common knowledge back in his hey-day. That's the difference with "stars" today: they think audiences should also be compelled to know what they think about gay marriage, the war in the Middle East, Medicare reform, women's rights, etc....I wish I could just judge Craig's films solely on their merit, but Mommy did a very bad thing when she started to use Bond to promote her feminist agenda, and now I'm a wee bit suspicious of these comments she makes.

Quote :

Barbara Broccoli can be a feminist and be a Bond movie-producing hypocrite, as far as I care. Bond, under her and MGW's stewardship, has not been turned into a shill for feminism in the films, nor have the films become platforms for expousing a feminist viewpoint. But times they are a-changin', and a man can't - and must't try to - exist in the 21st century clinging to "TIMID, outdated and unrrrealistic policies."

She's certainly tried nudging Bond into a more femi-centric point of view, whether it's M being a woman, calling Bond a sexist, misogynistic dinosaur, having a lead Bond Girl that doesn't actually fall for Bond, using Bond and M in a PSA so that M can berate Bond with a litany of grievances she has against modern men....yeah, I'm not really feeling the love from Babs right now.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: s   Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:19 am

Largo's Shark wrote:
Quote :

I said any man.
Back to top Go down
Jack Wade
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Babs Broccoli: Interview with the Vamp   Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:29 am

Perilagu Khan wrote:
Largo's Shark wrote:
Quote :

I said any man.
What about a woman who puts on a tux?
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark

PostSubject: Re: Babs Broccoli: Interview with the Vamp   Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:17 am

She's certainly tried nudging Bond into a more femi-centric point of view, whether it's M being a woman, calling Bond a sexist, misogynistic dinosaur, having a lead Bond Girl that doesn't actually fall for Bond, using Bond and M in a PSA so that M can berate Bond with a litany of grievances she has against modern men....yeah, I'm not really feeling the love from Babs right now.

Not to forget the objectification of Craig Bond, whether it's the "subversive" spin on the Andress/Berry bikini scenes or the sheer number of times Craig has to get his shirt off. The fact that Bond now has bigger tits than the Bond girls is a bit concerning.

Was Vesper ever in a bikini? What about Fields, Camille, Eve, or Severinne? Solange was in one while riding that horse on the beach, but her rack and frame was so small it barely counts.
Back to top Go down
bitchcraft
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Location : I don't know what things will be like in 4 years. I don't have 2020 vision.

PostSubject: Re: Babs Broccoli: Interview with the Vamp   Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:43 am

Python wrote:
Also, what does everyone think of the idea of a woman directing a Bond picture?

Why not? Once she has the credentials to do it, and remarkably so.
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Babs Broccoli: Interview with the Vamp   Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:51 am

Largo's Shark wrote:

Not to forget the objectification of Craig Bond, whether it's the "subversive" spin on the Andress/Berry bikini scenes or the sheer number of times Craig has to get his shirt off. The fact that Bond now has bigger tits than the Bond girls is a bit concerning.

I don't mind giving the women some "eye candy", but Barbara seems to do it because she feels guilty of being a successful female producer of a series that has made its mark with beautiful women. I think she has yet to reconcile her political beliefs with her strongly entrenched beliefs in the almighty dollar.

Quote :
Was Vesper ever in a bikini? What about Fields, Camille, Eve, or Severinne?

No, no, no, probably not and appears to be totally nude (in her shower scene). If anything, Mendes seems to have brought back some of the "va-va-va-voom" of the women of the Connery era with Severin, who appears to be an unapologetic sexpot of the movie, but we shall see.

Quote :
Solange was in one while riding that horse on the beach, but her rack and frame was so small it barely counts.

Her rack was too small you for? Seriously? Wow! Just............ wow!
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark

PostSubject: Re: Babs Broccoli: Interview with the Vamp   Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:38 am

Quote :
Solange was in one while riding that horse on the beach, but her rack and frame was so small it barely counts.

Her rack was too small you for? Seriously? Wow! Just............ wow!

What can I say? I'm a size E man.
Back to top Go down
AMC Hornet
Senior Correspondent

PostSubject: Re: Babs Broccoli: Interview with the Vamp   Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:45 am

MOST of these feminists organizations despise men and the "patriarchal" system they live under.
Name 'em.

"I don't mind giving the women some "eye candy", but Barbara seems to do it because she feels guilty of being a successful female producer of a series that has made its mark with beautiful women. I think she has yet to reconcile her political beliefs with her strongly entrenched beliefs in the almighty dollar."

This is entirely supposition on your part; you're not inside BB's head - you don't know any of this.

Anyway, again: the PSA is not a Bond film - it was an attention-getter, and obviously an effective one.

Perilagu Khan wrote:
"...if by feminism you mean abolition of gender distinctions and/or subordination of men to women, then you cannot be a real man and be a feminist."

Of course not, because the goal of feminism isn't the subjugation of men - it's about equality.

My ladylove is a feminist - which, I've learned, doesn't mean she's a militant lesbian with no sense of humour. Her definition is simply "anyone who shares the radical belief that women are human beings."

Learning that was a relief to me - it meant I no longer had to regard women as unattainable godesses.

She also admires very many very male men.

Come on, guys, we don't have to feel so threatened by the words 'feminist' and 'feminism' - they're not after our balls, just an equal footing. The image of future matriarchal societies where women enslave men are in the realm of science fiction, along with other cautionary tales like 1984, Brave New World and Farenheit 451.

Railing against and refusing to understand feminism makes any man sound like a sexist, misogynist dinosaur.

Last edited by AMC Hornet on Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:03 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark

PostSubject: Re: Babs Broccoli: Interview with the Vamp   Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:50 am

AMC Hornet wrote:

MOST of these feminists organizations despise men and the "patriarchal" system they live under.

Name 'em.

NOW for one.
Back to top Go down
AMC Hornet
Senior Correspondent

PostSubject: Re: Babs Broccoli: Interview with the Vamp   Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:04 am

Largo's Shark wrote:
AMC Hornet wrote:

Name 'em.

NOW for one.

Okay, that's one.

Now name the others that make up Grav's 'MOST' list.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: s   Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:51 am

AMC Hornet wrote:

Name 'em.

"I don't mind giving the women some "eye candy", but Barbara seems to do it because she feels guilty of being a successful female producer of a series that has made its mark with beautiful women. I think she has yet to reconcile her political beliefs with her strongly entrenched beliefs in the almighty dollar."

This is entirely supposition on your part; you're not inside BB's head - you don't know any of this.

Anyway, again: the PSA is not a Bond film - it was an attention-getter, and obviously an effective one.

Perilagu Khan wrote:
"...if by feminism you mean abolition of gender distinctions and/or subordination of men to women, then you cannot be a real man and be a feminist."

Of course not, because the goal of feminism isn't the subjugation of men - it's about equality.

My ladylove is a feminist - which, I've learned, doesn't mean she's a militant lesbian with no sense of humour. Her definition is simply "anyone who shares the radical belief that women are human beings."

Learning that was a relief to me - it meant I no longer had to regard women as unattainable godesses.

She also admires very many very male men.

Come on, guys, we don't have to feel so threatened by the words 'feminist' and 'feminism' - they're not after our balls, just an equal footing. The image of future matriarchal societies where women enslave men are in the realm of science fiction, along with other cautionary tales like 1984, Brave New World and Farenheit 451.

Railing against and refusing to understand feminism makes any man sound like a sexist, misogynist dinosaur.

If only your definition of feminism was the only one, or even the dominant one. In reality, there are two schools of feminism, equalitarian feminism and gender feminism. The former, which I can subscribe to, is about simple equality of opportunity and rewards for equal performance. But the latter holds that "genders" are mere social constructs erected (so to speak) by a misogynistic male dominated world in order to subjugate women. To undo this subjugation it is necessary to deconstruct gender and allow natural equality of outcome to rise to the fore.

This is so insipid it would be laughable if the gender feminists didn't have so much power. But they do. And they put their agenda in action, primarily in schools, where they try to make girls masculine as they attempt to feminize men. They've even been known to force boys to wear women's clothing.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: d   Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:52 am

AMC Hornet wrote:
Largo's Shark wrote:
AMC Hornet wrote:

Name 'em.

NOW for one.

Okay, that's one.

Now name the others that make up Grav's 'MOST' list.

NARAL
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Babs Broccoli: Interview with the Vamp   Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:56 am

AMC Hornet wrote:

Name 'em.

Feministing.com

I could go on, but just talking about the radicalism at Feministing.com could keep us occupied for days.

Quote :
This is entirely supposition on your part; you're not inside BB's head - you don't know any of this. Anyway, again: the PSA is not a Bond film - it was an attention-getter, and obviously an effective one.

You want that to be true, but deep down in your heart you know I'm right and you're wrong. You want to believe in the inherent goodness of Barbara Broccoli because of residual good will from Cubby or Dana or Harry or Michael, but you cannot reconcile your belief with the facts. Though the PSA is not "canon", it's clearly a reflection of her political beliefs and it's a reflection of what she's willing to do with the 007 image in order to advance her causes.

Now, we could all say that Bond has been used to sell merchandise in the past, and that would be true, but never can I recall a Bond or an M being used to advance a political belief. To my way of thinking, Barbara crossed a line when she used 007 in that way, and I'll say this: there's no coming back from that. Well, maybe there is if SKYFALL is absolutely great; maybe it'll be enough to erase the memory of that PSA from my head. But SF better be pretty damned good, or I'll be back on these forums on November 10th still complaining about the PSA. She lost any and all respect I had for her when she did that PSA. She should do the honorable thing and sell her interest in 007 to someone else. She has soiled it probably beyond redemption.

Quote :

Women are not equals. There's no such things as equality among men and women; there's no such thing as equality among men. Everyone is different and brings varying skills and attributes. But when I see a woman pull over on the side of the road and change a tire for a man, then I'll start to believe that they're "equals".

Quote :

I agree your ladylove is a human being. Am I now a feminist?

Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Babs Broccoli: Interview with the Vamp   Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:57 am

Perilagu Khan wrote:

NARAL

Lesbian Avengers (for those of you not up to date on current events, the Lesbian Avengers is not a Vivid Video parody of Marvel's The Avengers).
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Babs Broccoli: Interview with the Vamp   Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:04 pm

Perilagu Khan wrote:

This is so insipid it would be laughable if the gender feminists didn't have so much power. But they do. And they put their agenda in action, primarily in schools, where they try to make girls masculine as they attempt to feminize men. They've even been known to force boys to wear women's clothing.

Remember the story about 'Storm', the genderless baby up in Canada last year? His/her parents refused to tell family and friends what the gender of their newborn baby was. Too much "pressure" on a 3 month old baby to live up to "social norms of gender". :roll:

http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktla-couple-raising-genderless-baby,0,3809627.story

Or how about all the school systems that have expelled 6 year old boys as "sexual harassers" for kissing a girl in a 1st grade class room? Whatever mainstream feminism was 50 years ago, it's morphed into something much more radical and insidious ever since.
Back to top Go down
trevanian
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Babs Broccoli: Interview with the Vamp   Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:29 pm

Mrs Aural Sects wrote:
Python wrote:
Also, what does everyone think of the idea of a woman directing a Bond picture?

Why not? Once she has the credentials to do it, and remarkably so.

Kathryn Bigelow needs a good script or several decent setpieces to stage, but I've thought she could do Bond as far back as POINT BREAK (even though that had an alarming amount of smoke added to non-fire scenes for atmosphere, a horrible stupid trend carried over from the 80s.)

I can't think of another woman director who has the visual and action sensibilities for Bond; Mimi Leder has done big films, but in my opinion she has not done them particularly well.

There are certainly talented directors like Kasi Lemmons, who had a couple of interesting pictures with Sam Jackson in the 90s, but I don't see any indication she could do a Bond film (or even want to.)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Babs Broccoli: Interview with the Vamp   

Back to top Go down

Babs Broccoli: Interview with the Vamp
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bond And Beyond :: Bond :: Bond: General News & General Discussion-
Jump to: