These forums may contain mild adult content and are not associated with EON, Sony or any other companies and do not reflect their views.

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Last Book That You Read- Non- Fiction

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
AuthorMessage
Gravity's Silhouette
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Last Book That You Read- Non- Fiction   Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:03 pm

Gravity's Silhouette wrote:
Just finished THE LOST CITY OF Z (Five-Stars). Had bought the book over the summer and just now got around to reading it after finding out that a movie had not only been made about the subject, but was coming out soon with Charlie Hunnam, Sienna Miller, Tom Holland (excellent in Captain America:Civil War; made me interested in SPIDER-MAN again) and Robert Pattinson.

Just started: "AFRICANS IN AMERICA: America's Journey Through Slavery".

Guess we don't have many readers on this forum.

For anyone who cares (probably not a lot), AFRICANS IN AMERICA was a very informative, moving and highly educational look at slavery (and no countries or continents were spared from this introspection). As a little kid I had always wondered how slavery got started; how some people just felt alright kidnapping people and ripping them from their homes and never letting them see their families or loved ones again.

I felt no guilt as I read this book; felt no shame, and at no time did I ever consider giving up my white privilege. But I must say, if you're a lover of history, this is one of the best historical documents I've ever read. IT doesn't beat you over the head with guilt or shame. It's a mostly judgement-free exploration of how slavery came about.

This is what I finished after AFRICANS IN AMERICA:

Death Artist, The (Santlofer, Jonathan)
Perfect Murder, Perfect Town (Schiller, Laurence)
One Year After (Forstchen, William)
Goerings List (Pollock, J.C.)
Nod (Barnes, Adrian)
Footprints of God, The (Iles, Greg)
Krakatoa (Winchester, Simon)
Defending Jacob (Landay, William)
Code to Zero (Follett, Ken)
Interpretation of Murder, The (Rubenfeld, Jed)

Currently reading:
Ice Limit, The (Preston, Douglas and Child, Lincoln)
Game of Thrones (Martin, R.R.)
Back to top Go down
FieldsMan
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Last Book That You Read- Non- Fiction   Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:45 pm

Just finished THE LOST CITY OF Z (Five-Stars). Had bought the book over the summer and just now got around to reading it after finding out that a movie had not only been made about the subject, but was coming out soon with Charlie Hunnam, Sienna Miller, Tom Holland (excellent in Captain America:Civil War; made me interested in SPIDER-MAN again) and Robert Pattinson.

Just started: "AFRICANS IN AMERICA: America's Journey Through Slavery".

Guess we don't have many readers on this  forum.

For anyone who cares (probably not a lot), AFRICANS IN AMERICA was a very informative, moving and highly educational look at slavery (and no countries or continents were spared from this introspection). As a little kid I had always wondered how slavery got started; how some people just felt alright kidnapping people and ripping them from their homes and never letting them see their families or loved ones again.

I felt no guilt as I read this book; felt no shame, and at no time did I ever consider giving up my white privilege. But I must say, if you're a lover of history, this is one of the best historical documents I've ever read. IT doesn't beat you over the head with guilt or shame. It's a mostly judgement-free exploration of how slavery came about.

This is what I finished after AFRICANS IN AMERICA:

Death Artist, The (Santlofer, Jonathan)
Perfect Murder, Perfect Town (Schiller, Laurence)
One Year After (Forstchen, William)
Goerings List (Pollock, J.C.)
Nod (Barnes, Adrian)
Footprints of God, The (Iles, Greg)
Krakatoa (Winchester, Simon)
Defending Jacob (Landay, William)
Code to Zero (Follett, Ken)
Interpretation of Murder, The (Rubenfeld, Jed)

Currently reading:
Ice Limit, The (Preston, Douglas and Child, Lincoln)
Game of Thrones (Martin, R.R.)

I'm a reader, but I have more books than minutes to spare at the moment, so finding it hard to fit everything in. However, Africans in America sounds interesting, so I'm sure I'll get to it one day. As always, refreshingly conservative, Grav, as ironic as that may sound.

I'm currently reading an Australian finance book called The Barefoot Investor. Not as dry as you'd expect from a book about money, and because the author knows it, he endeavours to lighten it with humour and relatability. And with the included testimonials, highly informative and rather inspiring.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Last Book That You Read- Non- Fiction   Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:54 am

Currently reading 'The Battle For Bond' on the non-fiction front, an account of the failed pre-EON attempt to get a Bond movie off the ground in the late Fifties and the resulting years of legal battles after Fleming published the resultant story as Thunderball.
Back to top Go down
FieldsMan
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Last Book That You Read- Non- Fiction   Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:36 pm

Blunt Instrument wrote:
Currently reading 'The Battle For Bond' on the non-fiction front, an account of the failed pre-EON attempt to get a Bond movie off the ground in the late Fifties and the resulting years of legal battles after Fleming published the resultant story as Thunderball.    

Excellent read, that.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Last Book That You Read- Non- Fiction   Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:55 am

I'm enjoying it ... the print's on the small side though, dammit.

Ah, the joys of middle-age.
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Last Book That You Read- Non- Fiction   Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:36 pm

FieldsMan wrote:

I'm a reader, but I have more books than minutes to spare at the moment, so finding it hard to fit everything in. However, Africans in America sounds interesting, so I'm sure I'll get to it one day. As always, refreshingly conservative, Grav, as ironic as that may sound.

I'm currently reading an Australian finance book called The Barefoot Investor. Not as dry as you'd expect from a book about money, and because the author knows it, he endeavours to lighten it with humour and relatability. And with the included testimonials, highly informative and rather inspiring.

I was half asleep when I wrote that, as you can probably tell from the time stamp. Apologies to anyone who may have thought I was being condescending. I'm sure we have plenty of readers on the forum

Well, you see, when the Atlanta Falcons lost in the Super Bowl 10 weeks ago, I couldn't stand to look at television anymore. And by "television" I mean cable and regular broadcasting. I had sort of inoculated myself from the politics and the Trump Inauguration by pretty much watching nothing but ESPN and FOX Sports during the NFL playoffs, plus religiously devouring anything on the Internet related to the NFL playoffs, but obviously a lot of stuff about the Falcons. The playoffs and The Super Bowl were sort of a beautiful dream...a much needed distraction from the problems of the real world.

And, so, when the Falcons crashed and ended up blowing that game.....well, I canceled my cable subscription and threw myself into catching up on reading a lot of books that I've had sitting around for a while. And it wasn't just the Super Bowl loss either. I found that I could no longer stomach watching any news program. I admit to enjoying a bit of perverse satisfaction at seeing Donald Trump beat Hillary Clinton, but that's as far as it goes.

I've been clean and sober from tv for 10 weeks now. Averaging close to a book a week.

I'm still reading Game of Thrones, but also started SLIVER by Ira Levin.
Back to top Go down
FieldsMan
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Last Book That You Read- Non- Fiction   Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:20 pm

Not at all, Grav. This hasn't been the most active or popular threads on this forum, even in its glory days.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Last Book That You Read- Non- Fiction   

Back to top Go down

Last Book That You Read- Non- Fiction
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 6 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bond And Beyond :: Beyond :: Other Arts, Hobbies, Work & Interests-
Jump to: