More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Counting Down To Skyfall: THE ULTIMATE BONDATHON

Go down 
+5
Tubes
bitchcraft
James Bond
Walecs
Lazenby.
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Lazenby.
Head of Station
Head of Station
Lazenby.

Counting Down To Skyfall: THE ULTIMATE BONDATHON Empty
PostSubject: Counting Down To Skyfall: THE ULTIMATE BONDATHON   Counting Down To Skyfall: THE ULTIMATE BONDATHON EmptyThu Oct 04, 2012 1:55 pm

We now have just 22 days/nights until the October 26th UK release of Skyfall. This allows for the viewing of each of the previous 22 official Bond films on a one-per-day/night basis counting down to the release of Skyfall. Maybe you want to christen those shiny new Bond 50 Blu Rays, maybe you'll catch some Bond films on TV or pay-per-view, or maybe you have an old VHS/DVD/Laserdisc collection you can dust off. The ultimate point is to watch all 22 films within the next 22 days. Discuss your viewings/viewing order/opinions and musings here.
Back to top Go down
Walecs
Q Branch
Q Branch
Walecs

PostSubject: Re: Counting Down To Skyfall: THE ULTIMATE BONDATHON   Counting Down To Skyfall: THE ULTIMATE BONDATHON EmptyThu Oct 04, 2012 2:59 pm

I can't wait.
Back to top Go down
James Bond
'R'
'R'
James Bond

PostSubject: Re: Counting Down To Skyfall: THE ULTIMATE BONDATHON   Counting Down To Skyfall: THE ULTIMATE BONDATHON EmptyThu Oct 04, 2012 7:30 pm

I would participate in this but I am already coming to the end of my weekly 'Bondathon' and I would not want to be completely burned out before SF.
Back to top Go down
bitchcraft
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
bitchcraft

PostSubject: Re: Counting Down To Skyfall: THE ULTIMATE BONDATHON   Counting Down To Skyfall: THE ULTIMATE BONDATHON EmptyThu Oct 04, 2012 9:42 pm

Maintaining my Bond drought. I've refused to watch any of the films over the year...so I'm stoked for this one.
Back to top Go down
Tubes
Q Branch
Q Branch
Tubes

PostSubject: Re: Counting Down To Skyfall: THE ULTIMATE BONDATHON   Counting Down To Skyfall: THE ULTIMATE BONDATHON EmptyThu Oct 04, 2012 10:06 pm

I tried to do this in 2008 for QOS. I ended up missing a couple of days and finishing in December.
Back to top Go down
Lazenby.
Head of Station
Head of Station
Lazenby.

PostSubject: Re: Counting Down To Skyfall: THE ULTIMATE BONDATHON   Counting Down To Skyfall: THE ULTIMATE BONDATHON EmptyThu Oct 11, 2012 11:25 am

Just started with DN. Will have to try and fit in a few double-bills to get a full Bondathon done by the 26th, though the motivation of now owning FRWL and TB on Blu Ray will help. GF and YOLT I'll probably just stick on in the background when I'm cooking or ironing....

Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Counting Down To Skyfall: THE ULTIMATE BONDATHON   Counting Down To Skyfall: THE ULTIMATE BONDATHON EmptyThu Oct 11, 2012 11:36 am

But by the time you get to TND and TWINE, you won't be able to tear yourself away from the screen. ;)
Back to top Go down
Toppers
'R'
'R'
Toppers

PostSubject: Re: Counting Down To Skyfall: THE ULTIMATE BONDATHON   Counting Down To Skyfall: THE ULTIMATE BONDATHON EmptyThu Oct 11, 2012 10:13 pm

I don't have the time for a balls to the wall Bondathon, but I'll be making sure to at least sit down with my top ten.
Back to top Go down
Lazenby.
Head of Station
Head of Station
Lazenby.

PostSubject: Re: Counting Down To Skyfall: THE ULTIMATE BONDATHON   Counting Down To Skyfall: THE ULTIMATE BONDATHON EmptyFri Oct 12, 2012 10:54 am

FieldsMan wrote:
But by the time you get to TND and TWINE, you won't be able to tear yourself away from the screen. ;)

Exactly, I'll put a big wooden screen between myself and the TV to spare my eyes such unspeakable horror. laugh

Anyway... Back to the Bondathon...

Watched FRWL on Blu Ray. Like DN, it looked pretty stunning in quite a few places, fine job done on this. The film itself was once more an absolute pleasure to sit through, and should remain comfortably in the number 3 spot in my rankings behind OHMSS and DN. I miss the more urgent and less polished Connery of DN in FRWL, although here he's still sufficiently shy of the smugness which followed.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Counting Down To Skyfall: THE ULTIMATE BONDATHON   Counting Down To Skyfall: THE ULTIMATE BONDATHON EmptyFri Oct 12, 2012 3:40 pm

Should probably post my Bondathon thoughts in here. Because Skyfall won't come out until November 22nd over here in Australia, I won't be doing a 22 day/1-film-per-day Bondathon. Also because I already started. So tonight, I continued on from Octopussy and did an 80s double bill with:

A View To A Kill

One of the nostalgic Bond films for me, and a very enjoyable one at that. I had lots of fun with it, probably because I didn't watch it last year (thought it may be one of the first to become stale). Proved to be a good choice not to watch it, because I really did have lots of fun. Roger turns in a fantastic performance, May Day is absolutely phenomenal. This is why I don't believe Bond turned stale in the 80s. Bond iconicity continues to grow with the striking May Day, Max Zorin, the Golden Gate bridge fight and the brilliant soundtrack. And if four impressive inclusions like these can't suggest a freshness and sense of Bondian excitement, I don't know what can. I still believe Stacy is grossly underrated. I like her believability. She's not a spy or Bond's equal, or fuelled by revenge. She's an expert in her field, caught up in Zorin's mess and Bond must protect her. So I can forgive the screaming in a fiery elevator shaft. And she's smokin' - that shot of her in the miner's clothes; the material caressing her arse... damn!

Anyway, muchly enjoyable!

The Living Daylights

In terms of narrative, one of the most intriguingly intricate films of the franchise, and definitely one of the more interesting ones. While I had more fun with AVTAK, I was more engaged in TLD because of the development of the story and for that reason I have to mark it higher. I was watching Dalton as well, and was constantly reminded of Fleming's Bond. Plus, I was thinking how much the acting improved from the leading man since the previous era. No offence to Sir Rog - the amount of class, Britishness and charm will go unmatched, but as a secret agent, I believe Dalton more in that field. Pushkin's interrogation is amongst the finest scenes of the series, as is the PTS, the car/cello chase, Bond's confession to Kara and the 'Sniper Was A Woman' sequence. On that note, the three strongest films of the 80s for me have always been FYEO, OP and TLD (things may change this time with LTK, but for now...), and the structure of those films' openings have followed this:

PTS-> Ttiles -> Scene to set up drama

As opposed to the 70s' films:

PTS -> Titles -> Briefing.

The narratives dramatically improved from the 70s and 80s; the films much more compelling. They're more interesting, boasting characters who I can care about (I was relating myself and people I know to the characters in the films), stronger performances, stories that have been thought through. Aesthetically, they aren't as captivating as the 60s and 70s Bond films, but they do have some interesting shots. I'll stick to TLD for now, seeing as this is the film in question, but when Bond and the Mujahadeen set out at sunrise, it's a beautiful image, or when Bond and Kara arrive in Vienna.

Can't be bothered reading over all of this. Looking forward to LTK!

2012 Ranking:

From Russia With Love
On Her Majesty's Secret Service
Thunderball
Dr.No
For Your Eyes Only
The Living Daylights
Goldfinger
A View to a Kill
You Only Live Twice
Octopussy
Live and Let Die
The Man With The Golden Gun
Diamonds Are Forever
The Spy Who Loved Me
Moonraker
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Counting Down To Skyfall: THE ULTIMATE BONDATHON   Counting Down To Skyfall: THE ULTIMATE BONDATHON EmptySat Oct 13, 2012 12:56 am

AVTAK ... eh, it's a weird one. At times they seem to be almost acknowledging Moore's age (falling asleep in the chair while on guard at Stacey's house, hurting his hand when he punches out the dude on the way into Zorin's mine) and at other times utterly denying it (anything athletic the all-too-obvious stuntmen do).
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Counting Down To Skyfall: THE ULTIMATE BONDATHON   Counting Down To Skyfall: THE ULTIMATE BONDATHON EmptySat Oct 13, 2012 7:12 am

Licence to Kill

This film is like The Man With The Golden Gun for me. I want to place it higher on my list, but can't because something holds it back which many other Bond films don't have. TMWTGG has goofiness, LTK has an Americanised first 30 minutes or so, and hence doesn't feel like a Bond film until OO7 infiltrates the Wavekrest. It still is an enjoyable portion of the film, but for a Bond film, it doesn't suffice. After that, the action, the score, Q's inclusion and a classier espionage feel really do make up for it. The final chase sequence is one of the most exciting sequences of the franchise (seem to be saying that a lot with Glen's Bond films). Some interesting musical cues as well throughout. I really love the espionage music. Can't seem to find it on youtube, but when Bond sneaks around Leiter's house and the Wavekrest. Just on the spy stuff - there seemed to be more in this when Bond isn't with the secret service than when he is... Anyway, the antagonists in the film are one of the strongest gangs of villainy to grace a Bond film, up there with Klebb/Grant/Kronsteen/Blofeld and OO6/Onatopp/Ouromov. Pam hasn't moved from my bottom three leading Bond girls (neighbouring Jinx and Goodhead). I don't find her all that sexy, instead I find her obnoxious. Totally would have picked Lupe if I was in Bond's shoes.

And thus concludes another era. Would I have wanted Dalton in another Bond film? Certainly - if only for the extra film to have in the franchise. He has magnificent screen presence and his acting ability is unquestionable. Does he have the humour of Moore? No. The charm of Brosnan? Not really. The physicality of Lazenby? No. Connery's sense of danger? Yeah, but Connery also mixed the above to create the legend of OO7. I do like Dalton in the role. At least he smiles - even in a revenge flick - unlike Craig in both of his films which haven't been about revenge. I definitely wouldn't want to sacrifice Brosnan for another Dalton film, but I would have liked another Dalton film between LTK and GE in a similar vein to TLD.

At the end of the 80s, we leave behind Dalton, Bliss, Brown (who I have grown to like a lot more this time round. No one will replace Lee, and Dench gets points for her M's sense of freshness in the 90s. But he does a commendable job). We also leave Binder and Cubby. But with the following three films, I don't miss those regulars. Without them, we obviously wouldn't have the films of the 90s, 00s and now, the 10s. But I love what we get and I love what we got.

2012 Ranking:

From Russia With Love
On Her Majesty's Secret Service
Thunderball
Dr.No
For Your Eyes Only
The Living Daylights
Goldfinger
A View to a Kill
You Only Live Twice
Octopussy
Live and Let Die
Licence to Kill
The Man With The Golden Gun
Diamonds Are Forever
The Spy Who Loved Me
Moonraker
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Counting Down To Skyfall: THE ULTIMATE BONDATHON   Counting Down To Skyfall: THE ULTIMATE BONDATHON EmptyThu Oct 18, 2012 7:53 pm

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Counting Down To Skyfall: THE ULTIMATE BONDATHON   Counting Down To Skyfall: THE ULTIMATE BONDATHON Empty

Back to top Go down

Counting Down To Skyfall: THE ULTIMATE BONDATHON
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bond And Beyond :: Bond :: Bond: General News & General Discussion-
Jump to: