These forums may contain mild adult content and are not associated with EON, Sony or any other companies and do not reflect their views.

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Share | 

What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

What did you think of Adele's song?
Excellent (ranks among the best)
10%
 10% [ 4 ]
Very good (ranks among the upper echelon)
43%
 43% [ 18 ]
Good/Average (ranks among the middle of the pack)
31%
 31% [ 13 ]
Fair/Below Average (ranks among the lower tier of songs)
7%
 7% [ 3 ]
Awful (ranks at the bottom of the list)
9%
 9% [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 42

AuthorMessage
Harmsway
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme?   Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:35 am

The song's alright. Wouldn't rank very high in my ranking of the Bond songs, but it wouldn't be all the way at the bottom, either.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme?   Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:36 am

Prisoner Monkeys wrote:
I like it. It sounds like an old-school theme without being a pastiche; it has its own sound. I also like the way it's not really about anything at all, and the film title is thrown into the lyrics, even though it makes no sense. It reminds me of all the times other title performers have had their hands bound by awkward and clumsy titles, but worked with them anyway - like "Meeting you, with a view to a kill.".

Thought of that too. Like how "GoldenEye" and "Moonraker" have nothing to do with the rest of the lyrics.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme?   Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:42 am

The White Tuxedo wrote:
I saw one site call the song a mix of DAF and TWINE.

I don't really hear TWINE in it, and I like to think I've got a good ear.
Back to top Go down
FieldsMan
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme?   Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:56 am

Mix between Moonraker and Goldeneye, but just not as exciting as both of those. Still, much better than AWTD, and I can't wait to see it with the titles.
Back to top Go down
Vesper
Senior Correspondent

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme?   Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:24 am

Adelle's vocals are great. The opening piano solo works great.

Sadly, I stand by my original impression that the lyrics are flat. Probably the flattest in the series. Even a lot of the shittier Bond themes have one phrase that stays with you. Not one here stood out to me.

Adelle's vocals elevate it but sadly her song writing talents are not on par with her vocal ability. Firmly in the middle of the pack, and I'd say it's less interesting than some of the bad ones.

Last edited by Vesper on Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme?   Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:31 am

Vesper wrote:
Adelle's [...] song writing talents are not on par with her vocal ability.

This. That said, while it's not as striking, experimental or cutting edge as DAD, the melody/vocals have got a soul that's been absent from Bond themes for a long time
Back to top Go down
bitchcraft
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme?   Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:55 am

According to Billboard magazine,, Adele's 'Rolling in the deep' was 2011's most downloaded single, with a grand total of 5.6 million downloads on digital music services (with the majority of that being iTunes). I'm sure Skyfall will cross 1 million soon....

Skyfall is already ranking at #8 on her singles sales...
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme?   Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:10 am

Largo's Shark wrote:
The White Tuxedo wrote:
I saw one site call the song a mix of DAF and TWINE.

I don't really hear TWINE in it, and I like to think I've got a good ear.

I'm just repeating what I saw on a site. laugh
Back to top Go down
Loomis
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme?   Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:23 am

I guess no one ever went broke underestimating people's taste for "classic Bond". But I don't know why they didn't simply get Bassey back.
Back to top Go down
Prisoner Monkeys
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme?   Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:33 am

Loomis wrote:
But I don't know why they didn't simply get Bassey back.
No doubt they had their reasons. For one, Adele is far more likely to sell singles than Bassey is. And secondly, getting Bassey back would be little more than fan-service to celebrate th anniversary, and we all know what happened last time EON did that ...
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme?   Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:33 am

Loomis wrote:
I guess no one ever went broke underestimating people's taste for "classic Bond". But I don't know why they didn't simply get Bassey back.

Adele is my favorite thing about the song. And I don't like the idea of going the Bassey route. Bond has to move on.

I like the song pretty well. It has a Bondian sound without being an awful wannabe-Goldfinger. I just think the song could use just a tiny bit more "oomph" in places.

Speaking of "oomph", I'd like to give Adele some "oomph" in places.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: q   Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:48 am

It's a unique Bond tune. It sounds archetypally Bondian without sounding like any particular tune that's gone before it.

Also, while one might give SF low marks for originality based upon reliance on the Bond theme, that reliance disappears after the first quarter of the song. So I rate this one fairly high in the originality department.

And what can I say about Adele? I didn't realize vocal talent like that still existed. She's a spark of brilliance and beauty in our tenebrous age. I doubt Bassey could have done as well, and I'm a tremendous admirer of Bassey.
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme?   Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:55 am

Perilagu Khan wrote:
And what can I say about Adele? I didn't realize vocal talent like that still existed. She's a spark of brilliance and beauty in our tenebrous age. I doubt Bassey could have done as well, and I'm a tremendous admirer of Bassey.

I listened to "No Good About Goodbye" and "Skyfall" back to back. I just don't think Bassey would have fit "Skyfall". Bassey to me is more show, Adele more soul.

Yeah, the lyrics are a bit flat, but I like them well enough. "I like the "stand together" part. And Adele sells the hell out of it. Wish they'd given Don Black a ring, though.

Last edited by The White Tuxedo on Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Moore
Experienced Correspondent
Experienced Correspondent

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme?   Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:56 am

The White Tuxedo wrote:
Loomis wrote:

Adele is my favorite thing about the song. And I don't like the idea of going the Bassey route. Bond has to move on.

I like the song pretty well. It has a Bondian sound without being an awful wannabe-Goldfinger. I just think the song could use just a tiny bit more "oomph" in places.

I agree with it needing more "oomph". Kind of seems a little too laid back. I do like the song however. It is definitely one of the better theme songs for the series since 1995. Much better than the crap we were subjected to with DAD and QOS.
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme?   Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:00 am

Moore wrote:
The White Tuxedo wrote:
Loomis wrote:

I agree with it needing more "oomph". Kind of seems a little too laid back. I do like the song however. It is definitely one of the better theme songs for the series since 1995. Much better than the crap we were subjected to with DAD and QOS.

I'd say it's my favorite Bond song since GE. The only real competition is "You Know My Name". It has better lyrics and goes for it's target more aggressively than SF, but I like the mood of SF a lot more.

For the record, I like TWINE okay, find TND servicable, think DAD sounds like a damned car alarm, and I'd say "Another Way to Die" is... I don't know what to say about it.

Last edited by The White Tuxedo on Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bond And Beyond ::  ::  ::  :: -