More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

It was 50 years ago on this very day ...

Go down 
+4
Control
Perilagu Khan
Toppers
Blunt Instrument
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

It was 50 years ago on this very day ...  Empty
PostSubject: It was 50 years ago on this very day ...    It was 50 years ago on this very day ...  EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 3:16 pm

Here's how I chose to pay tribute to this 50th anniversary day on Facebook -

'On 5th October 1962, a spy thriller called Dr No was released. Its distributors' attitude to it was 'All we can lose is $1 million!', and if producers Albert 'Cubby' Broccoli and Harry Saltzman had been told then that the James Bond films would still be going 50 years later and on the verge of their 23rd instalment being released, they would likely have laughed heartily.

Ian Fleming's novels had been popular and successful, but it was the films that were to turn 007 into a truly global pop-culture phenomenon; a hero to cinema audiences everywhere of widely differing cultural, religious and political persuasions (although back in the day, Communist countries and the Vatican weren't too keen. lol). Sadly, Fleming was to die during the production of Goldfinger, so he never got to see what his creation became.

Modern action-adventure films likely owe their existence to Bond, the influence can clearly be seen in the likes of the Indiana Jones and Lethal Weapon movies. I was introduced to the Bonds by Dad (Skyfall and the 50th anniversary are tinged by poignancy for me, what with him not being around to discuss/enthuse about them with) when I was seen to be old enough ... and I've been hooked on their heady cocktail of action, humour, gadgetry, fast cars, beautiful women, far-flung locations and nefarious villains (oh, and the coolest theme music EVER) ever since. 11 year old me wanted to be 007, 41 year old me still does.

The Bond producers have become experts at tweaking the formula when needed to keep Bond relevant whilst keeping the basic facets of the character essentially the same. That's why (despite the odd lacklustre entry and some legal battles), he's still here ... a fact I find comforting in 'this ever-changing world in which we live in' (see what I did there?).

So, I'd like to raise a perfectly-chilled, shaken-not-stirred vodka martini and wish the Bond franchise a very, very happy 50th anniversary ... here's to everyone involved in these wonderful slices of escapism down the years, and particularly to Messrs Connery, Lazenby, Moore, Dalton, Brosnan and Craig. Cheers, gents ... James Bond Will Return, indeed.

Here's to the next 50 years of 'keeping the British end up'! :D '.

Cheers, everyone. Happy Anniversary indeed.
Back to top Go down
Toppers
'R'
'R'
Toppers

PostSubject: Re: It was 50 years ago on this very day ...    It was 50 years ago on this very day ...  EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 4:14 pm

Brilliant tribute, Blunt. Actually struck a chord with me.

Happy 50th, 007. I've got no doubt that you will indeed return.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: It was 50 years ago on this very day ...    It was 50 years ago on this very day ...  EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 4:35 pm

Well done, Bluntster.
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: It was 50 years ago on this very day ...    It was 50 years ago on this very day ...  EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 9:20 pm

Fantastic, Blunt.

Salute to the cinematic James Bond.
Back to top Go down
lachesis
Head of Station
Head of Station
lachesis

PostSubject: Re: It was 50 years ago on this very day ...    It was 50 years ago on this very day ...  EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 10:49 pm

Nice tribute.... here's to the next 50!
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: It was 50 years ago on this very day ...    It was 50 years ago on this very day ...  EmptySat Oct 06, 2012 12:45 am

Thanks, chaps :) .
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: It was 50 years ago on this very day ...    It was 50 years ago on this very day ...  EmptySat Oct 06, 2012 1:06 am

A good read, Blunt. Happy 50th Anniversary OO7!

It was 50 years ago on this very day ...  1030ll3
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: It was 50 years ago on this very day ...    It was 50 years ago on this very day ...  EmptySat Oct 06, 2012 1:09 am

Cheers, FM.
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: It was 50 years ago on this very day ...    It was 50 years ago on this very day ...  EmptySat Oct 06, 2012 2:03 am

Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: It was 50 years ago on this very day ...    It was 50 years ago on this very day ...  EmptySat Oct 06, 2012 2:43 am

Nice post, Blunt.

I intend to get drunk in honour of Bond's birthday. He would've wanted it that way.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: It was 50 years ago on this very day ...    It was 50 years ago on this very day ...  EmptySat Oct 06, 2012 11:22 am

Thanks, CJB. Yesterday I played some Blood Stone, played the original version of the Bond theme and Adele's Skyfall song, and watched Dr No. A modest tribute, but fun nonetheless.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: It was 50 years ago on this very day ...    It was 50 years ago on this very day ...  Empty

Back to top Go down

It was 50 years ago on this very day ...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bond And Beyond :: Bond :: Bond: General News & General Discussion-
Jump to: