More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

The Trouble with David Arnold...

Go down 
+5
Largo's Shark
GreatKenji
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Makeshift Python
Control
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

The Trouble with David Arnold... - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Trouble with David Arnold...   The Trouble with David Arnold... - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 31, 2013 1:07 am

Stockholm Syndrome.
Back to top Go down
boldfinger
Cipher Clerk
boldfinger

PostSubject: Re: The Trouble with David Arnold...   The Trouble with David Arnold... - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 31, 2013 8:00 pm

In a way that would be the logical assumption, yes.
But I have phases where I think, what a hack, what the **** is he doing! Normally after a phase of listening to Goldsmith.
But then there are times when it just lifts my spirits to listen to some of his Bond scores.
Weird.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: The Trouble with David Arnold...   The Trouble with David Arnold... - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 26, 2014 1:13 pm

I guess it could be the energy of his music boldfinger (and if you still feel the same). As much as I love Skyfall, I feel the music in the PTS lacks a pace and energy that Arnold tends to capture. It may have made the PTS more exciting.
Back to top Go down
Walecs
Q Branch
Q Branch
Walecs

PostSubject: Re: The Trouble with David Arnold...   The Trouble with David Arnold... - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 27, 2014 1:54 pm

Newman's music is not terrible, but it it is s**t (not to mention completely unbondian) when compared to Arnold's, I really hope Arnold will return for Bond 25, if not for Bond 24.

Last edited by Walecs on Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: The Trouble with David Arnold...   The Trouble with David Arnold... - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 27, 2014 2:43 pm

I wouldn't say shit, especially considering he was nominated for an Oscar for his work, but some tracks just don't grab me. Really do dig Shanghai Drive, the music when Bond arrives in Macau (mostly for the Skyfall rendition), the Bond theme renditions, Tennyson, Breadcrumbs and Severine. Chimera is quite nice also, but IIRC something about it doesn't gel well with me.
Back to top Go down
boldfinger
Cipher Clerk
boldfinger

PostSubject: Re: The Trouble with David Arnold...   The Trouble with David Arnold... - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 27, 2014 10:17 pm

I had a phase just a few days ago when I felt like listening to the SF score again, which by itself speaks for Newman. I find he knows a lot of harmonical stuff very well, but after a while the music feels a bit congested. That´s actually where the score feels much like Zimmer, not so much the harmonies, but the thick orchestra sound (even though Newman doesn´t sound artificial like Zimmer) and the way Newman uses rhythmic patterns.
I tend to say Newman´s score is not a bad album by itself, but it´s too self-indulgent to be much fun. Arnold has a lot less skills harmonically, but his Bond scores are fun. And he knows how to put danger with an exclamation mark into the music.

So, in reference to the thread title, I´d say the trouble with David Arnold is that he´s not scoring Bond right now.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: The Trouble with David Arnold...   The Trouble with David Arnold... - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 27, 2014 11:07 pm

I loved SKYFALL's score, but then Tom Newman's one of my 10 favourite film composers of all time. The whole score resonated with me in way that I hadn't felt since parts of Serra's GOLDENEYE and Arnold's first three Bond scores. It felt fresh, alive.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: The Trouble with David Arnold...   The Trouble with David Arnold... - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 29, 2014 11:02 am

Largo's Shark wrote:
The whole score resonated with me in way that I hadn't felt since parts of Serra's GOLDENEYE and Arnold's first three Bond scores. It felt fresh, alive.

Huh!?!? Since when?!? smile

I would have though QOS would be more of your cup of tea when re: Arnold.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: The Trouble with David Arnold...   The Trouble with David Arnold... - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 29, 2014 9:46 pm

Skyfall after the past couple of films, musically, felt much fresher to my meagre ears. And the Bond theme hither and thither. Like the old days.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
Walecs
Q Branch
Q Branch
Walecs

PostSubject: Re: The Trouble with David Arnold...   The Trouble with David Arnold... - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 03, 2014 11:22 pm

FieldsMan wrote:
I wouldn't say shit, especially considering he was nominated for an Oscar for his work, but some tracks just don't grab me. Really do dig Shanghai Drive, the music when Bond arrives in Macau (mostly for the Skyfall rendition), the Bond theme renditions, Tennyson, Breadcrumbs and Severine. Chimera is quite nice also, but IIRC something about it doesn't gel well with me.

John Barry's Bond scores never won an oscar, does it mean they're bad? TSWLM's score was nominated for an oscar, but other than the beautiful theme song, it's nothing special.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: The Trouble with David Arnold...   The Trouble with David Arnold... - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 04, 2014 12:58 am

Walecs wrote:
FieldsMan wrote:

John Barry's Bond scores never won an oscar, does it mean they're bad? TSWLM's score was nominated for an oscar, but other than the beautiful theme song, it's nothing special.

No…Not sure how you got that from what I said...
Back to top Go down
Walecs
Q Branch
Q Branch
Walecs

PostSubject: Re: The Trouble with David Arnold...   The Trouble with David Arnold... - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 04, 2014 6:27 am

FieldsMan wrote:
Walecs wrote:
FieldsMan wrote:

No…Not sure how you got that from what I said...

Rereading your post no, you're right, I've misunderstood what you meant. Sorry.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Trouble with David Arnold...   The Trouble with David Arnold... - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Trouble with David Arnold...
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next