More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Deakins cinematography / VFX article online

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
trevanian
Head of Station
Head of Station
trevanian

Deakins cinematography / VFX article online Empty
PostSubject: Deakins cinematography / VFX article online   Deakins cinematography / VFX article online EmptyTue Oct 23, 2012 1:48 am

I was surprised to see that my editor at HD Video Pro already has the SKYFALL article up at:
http://www.hdvideopro.com/display/features/secret-agent-man.html

The final page of the article, page 4, has what might be considered a spoiler, as it mentions various stuff that was built in miniature, which implies a reason for these things being built in miniature, which in turn suggests ... well, it is a spoiler, so skip that part if you get that far. Page 3 has a good picture of a miniature that probably isn't a spoiler, but if you're trying to go in knowing nothing at all, skip page 3 as well.

There are some editing / grammar issues, but I sent him corrections, so I am hopeful that those will get fixed soon enough. It's very tech, but there are a few interesting observations from Deakins and VFX supe Steve Begg (and before anybody asks, No, I was a moron, I never thought to ask Deakins about the gunbarrel.)
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Deakins cinematography / VFX article online   Deakins cinematography / VFX article online EmptyWed Oct 31, 2012 11:29 pm

Just noticed and read this. Sorry for the late reply, trevanian.

Excellent article. I went ahead and posted this on the B&B Facebook page, too.

I especially liked the section on the Shanghai office shootout, which has always been the most engaging footage from the production diaries. It looks unbelievably convincing, too, for only having two LED lights at Pinewood and using them as the only light sources.
Back to top Go down
trevanian
Head of Station
Head of Station
trevanian

PostSubject: Re: Deakins cinematography / VFX article online   Deakins cinematography / VFX article online EmptyWed Oct 31, 2012 11:50 pm

I'm eagerly anticipating seeing the Shanghai office myself (see, not entirely negative, also looking forward to seeing some miniature work.)

I honestly believe that the answer to virtual filmmaking (everybody shot against green, whole environment done as an effect comp) is in this vein; you can have the control and safety of a studio, but the DP and the actors can benefit from having a reality around them that casts shadows and interactive light.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Deakins cinematography / VFX article online   Deakins cinematography / VFX article online Empty

Back to top Go down

Deakins cinematography / VFX article online
Page 1 of 1