More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Amis on TMWTGG

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Fairbairn-Sykes
Head of Station
Head of Station
Fairbairn-Sykes

Amis on TMWTGG Empty
PostSubject: Amis on TMWTGG   Amis on TMWTGG EmptyWed Nov 14, 2012 9:49 pm

Does anyone have a link to, or remember off hand, what Kingsley Amis' suggestions were to Jonathan Cape to improve THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN? I am aware that they did not use them, and that the rumour that Amis rewrote the book isn't true (after all, it's pretty identifiably a thin Fleming first draft) -- but I have forgotten and can't find reference to what his suggestions were and I am curious. Anyone able to help?
Back to top Go down
http://goldenagebat.blogspot.com
Anonymous

Amis on TMWTGG Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amis on TMWTGG   Amis on TMWTGG EmptyWed Nov 14, 2012 9:54 pm

It's mentioned in Zachary Leader's Amis Collected Letters in one two-page letter. See article here, which quotes from these letters:

http://jamesbond.ajb007.co.uk/a-licence-to-read-colonel-sun/

Last edited by SILHOUETTE MAN on Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Fairbairn-Sykes
Head of Station
Head of Station
Fairbairn-Sykes

Amis on TMWTGG Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amis on TMWTGG   Amis on TMWTGG EmptyWed Nov 14, 2012 11:01 pm

Appreciate the article, but the topic is entirely COLONEL SUN, whereas I was curious as to Amis' unused suggestions on GOLDEN GUN.
Back to top Go down
http://goldenagebat.blogspot.com
Anonymous

Amis on TMWTGG Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amis on TMWTGG   Amis on TMWTGG EmptyWed Nov 14, 2012 11:03 pm

Oh, sorry. Well you need to buy that book on Amazon, then!
Back to top Go down
Saunders...V Section

Saunders...V Section

Amis on TMWTGG Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amis on TMWTGG   Amis on TMWTGG EmptyThu Nov 15, 2012 4:48 pm

According to his review of TMWTGG in The New Statesman Kingsley Amis was disappointed that the level of violence had been scaled down, Amis said that some 'may feel that a secret-agent story without violence would be like, say a naval story without battles', With regard to the infamous 'sex' and 'snobbery', not to mention the memorable meals and gambling for high stakes in the previous books, Amis argued that these, however 'unedifying', were vital elements of the 'unique Fleming world', and that the denaturing of that world in THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN' as well as sections of it's immediate forerunners was a loss. He also wrote about the lack of customary detail and weakness of the characterisation 'Scaramanga is just a dandy with a special (and ineffective) gun, a stock of outdated American slang, and a third nipple on his left breast. We hear a lot about him early on in the ten page dossier M consults, including mentions of homosexuality and pistol-fetishism but these aren't followed up anywhere.'
Though the article was as much a personnel attack on Fleming critic Paul Johnson as it was a review, I think it's clear that Amis felt this novel had very much the feel of a first draft and would of wished that it contained more of the traditional Fleming elements and sweep.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

Amis on TMWTGG Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amis on TMWTGG   Amis on TMWTGG EmptyThu Nov 15, 2012 5:07 pm

Saunders...V Section wrote:
a stock of outdated American slang

If I had to identify Fleming's greatest weakness as a writer that might be it. He had a tin ear for American idioms.

Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

Amis on TMWTGG Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amis on TMWTGG   Amis on TMWTGG EmptyThu Nov 15, 2012 5:11 pm

Paul Johnson. Noxious man.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Amis on TMWTGG Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amis on TMWTGG   Amis on TMWTGG Empty

Back to top Go down