More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Sam Mendes: 'I did Skyfall to wake myself up. It has certainly done that'

Go down 
+3
Perilagu Khan
Harmsway
Largo's Shark
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

Sam Mendes: 'I did Skyfall to wake myself up. It has certainly done that' Empty
PostSubject: Sam Mendes: 'I did Skyfall to wake myself up. It has certainly done that'   Sam Mendes: 'I did Skyfall to wake myself up. It has certainly done that' EmptySun Dec 09, 2012 11:22 am

Interview by Kate Kellaway in The Observer.

Quote :
The director of Skyfall talks about the pleasures and pains of making Britain's highest-grossing film ever

Sam Mendes: 'I did Skyfall to wake myself up. It has certainly done that' Sam-mendes-skyfall-010
Sam Mendes: 'So much of this job is to instil confidence. You need to be the leader.'
Photograph: Bohdan Cap

Sam Mendes, director of Skyfall, hesitates. He is thinking about James Bond. It is, after all, partly thanks to him that Bond has recently acquired a psyche. But his case history is not easy to sum up. After a moment, he laughingly says that, were Bond on the couch, he would tell him: "You have many demons. If I were to put you into Freudian analysis, you would be there for the next 200 years. What I strongly advise is a change of career. Why not run a small shop?"

This is not advice anyone is about to give Mendes himself. His charmed career has reached new heights. He started out as a 24-year-old dynamo directing Judi Dench in the West End. He founded and ran the Donmar theatre for 10 years from 1990. He won five Oscars for American Beauty in 1999 when he was not even 35. And he directed a film of America's dark suburban novel Revolutionary Road , starring his ex-wife Kate Winslet. But Skyfall is something else again. It broke UK box office records in its first week – taking £37.2m – and is now Britain's highest-grossing film ever. Now the only question is whether Mendes is going to make the sequel.

At 47, he has a young face – his grey hair and beard in contrast to his vibrancy. He is bearlike in his shaggy black jumper. A comfortable, vigorous, jovial presence filling the large sitting room in which we meet – part of his Covent Garden production company. "It's not true that I've worked out a new plot for Bond. Nor have I made any commitment to another Bond movie. I have said that I've put everything I wanted into this film. The idea I can simply start again makes me feel physically ill. I need to get back to theatre, spend more time at home and then… and then it might be someone else's turn." The truth is Skyfall will be a hard act to follow no matter who is in the driving seat.

Above all, Mendes needs a good story: "Directing depends upon a story's rhythm – a good story should breathe in and out." Or, in Bond's case, hold its breath? He explains that Skyfall's opening 10 minutes, involving three Turkish locations, took more than two months to film. He talks about shooting in "the disused tube platforms under Charing Cross in stygian darkness". He jokes: "When I said 'yes' to a Bond movie, I pictured South America, the Andes, a tropical island. And what was I given? F-ing London Underground …" The reward for filming there? "Black snot." But wasn't Shanghai, at least, as dazzling as his film made it look? He smiles and shakes his head.

Making the film was exhausting, "like making four movies in one". It was, he says, half pleasure, half pain. And daunting? How would Mendes answer the question Bond is asked: what do you know about fear? "Quite a lot – I am a good dissembler. So much of this job is to instil confidence. You need to be the leader. If you are scared, you have to hide it – it is not useful." A Bond film is "frightening" because "one's personality could be consumed by the machine". He adds: "I am the opposite to Bond. I'm a physical coward. I don't enjoy firing a gun. And I drive very slowly."

But the film has been liberating too. For once, he has not been worried about the critics (perhaps his Cambridge education or his parents – his Portuguese Trinidadian father was a university literature professor and his mother is an author – can be held responsible for his having taken them too seriously in the past). "I stopped thinking about threading the needle between genres. I have made a Beckettian war movie (Jarhead), a $100m gangster movie like an arthouse film (Road to Perdition) and relationship dramas that are dark as they come (Revolutionary Road). It was nice to say: my sole job here is to tell a great story."

And when his crowd-pleaser pleased the critics, he saw a lesson in it. I ask if using Adele was his idea? He says it was a joint thing and adds: "She sat on that sofa over there." He remembers how worried she was about writing a Bond theme tune as her lyrics are always very personal. He explains: "I told her to write a love song." When she did, he was over the moon: "Coming in from the country to shoot, I listened to her song solidly for two hours." But he is also tickled pink, it would appear, at having made a middle-aged Bond film: "This Bond is about a middle-aged Brit, made by a middle-aged Brit."

At the same time, the film aimed to satisfy his "inner 12-year-old" – and his nine-year-old son Joe: "One of the biggest reasons for doing this was to make a film my son could see." His devotion to his son could not be clearer. But he and Joe's mother, Kate Winslet (who was picking up a CBE from Buckingham Palace on the day we met), divorced last year and Mendes has since been reported to be in a relationship with the actress Rebecca Hall, daughter of Sir Peter Hall. How much pressure does being in the public eye put on a marriage?

"I don't think it makes a difference to the internal workings of a relationship," he says cautiously. "It is more difficult for women. But people have been very respectful and I think we handled ourselves with dignity which is the important thing. The overriding concern, as always, is for the health and happiness of our children." He sounds, understandably, stilted – as if reading a press release aloud.

Today, Mendes feels "blessed" but adds: "I don't take any of it for granted." After years in America, he is now based in London – and has a house in the country – where he feels "happy and rooted". Has he ever failed at anything? "God, yes – do you want a list? I can't speak a foreign language. I can't type or play golf. I can't cook. And I have not got a perfect track record in the art of conducting relationships with the opposite sex…" And what about as a director? "I have been down some blind alleys and felt I was repeating myself. I did Skyfall to shock and wake myself up. And it has certainly done that – and then some."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/2012/dec/09/sam-mendes-interview-skyfall-bond
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: Sam Mendes: 'I did Skyfall to wake myself up. It has certainly done that'   Sam Mendes: 'I did Skyfall to wake myself up. It has certainly done that' EmptySun Dec 09, 2012 12:59 pm

Sounds like he's probably out for BOND 24, then. Shame.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: s   Sam Mendes: 'I did Skyfall to wake myself up. It has certainly done that' EmptySun Dec 09, 2012 1:43 pm

Harmsway wrote:
Sounds like he's probably out for BOND 24, then. Shame.

Who knows? Early days yet.
Back to top Go down
bitchcraft
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
bitchcraft

PostSubject: Re: Sam Mendes: 'I did Skyfall to wake myself up. It has certainly done that'   Sam Mendes: 'I did Skyfall to wake myself up. It has certainly done that' EmptySun Dec 09, 2012 6:57 pm

Nice to know Sam has some Trinidad roots....if he ever comes over I'll invite him to our bar.

Not writing him out of Bond 24 either, he'll have a substantial pay day and he knows it. He'll have SONY around his finger. :face:
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: s   Sam Mendes: 'I did Skyfall to wake myself up. It has certainly done that' EmptySun Dec 09, 2012 8:36 pm

Mrs Aural Sects wrote:
Nice to know Sam has some Trinidad roots....if he ever comes over I'll invite him to our bar.

Not writing him out of Bond 24 either, he'll have a substantial pay day and he knows it. He'll have SONY around his finger. :face:

And actually, that's an argument against offering him the directorship again. I'd be hesitant to grant any director--even Sambo--too much power over a given Bond film.
Back to top Go down
bitchcraft
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
bitchcraft

PostSubject: Re: Sam Mendes: 'I did Skyfall to wake myself up. It has certainly done that'   Sam Mendes: 'I did Skyfall to wake myself up. It has certainly done that' EmptySun Dec 09, 2012 9:00 pm

Perilagu Khan wrote:
Mrs Aural Sects wrote:

And actually, that's an argument against offering him the directorship again. I'd be hesitant to grant any director--even Sambo--too much power over a given Bond film.

I can see what you mean...I was thinking more of budgetary constraints, the way they had to scale down on locations.

I'm not complaining about the London Underground though...Bond shouldn't always be in exotic locales, his job calls for dark and grimy places too, even slums...I wouldn't complain about an opening sequence somewhere in a third world country.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Sam Mendes: 'I did Skyfall to wake myself up. It has certainly done that'   Sam Mendes: 'I did Skyfall to wake myself up. It has certainly done that' EmptySun Dec 09, 2012 9:11 pm

Unless Mendes feels confident about doing another one, I wouldn't push him for Bond 24. I'd rather look for a director who is just as talented and dedicated but also very hungry for Bond.
Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: a   Sam Mendes: 'I did Skyfall to wake myself up. It has certainly done that' EmptySun Dec 09, 2012 10:57 pm

Mrs Aural Sects wrote:
Perilagu Khan wrote:
Mrs Aural Sects wrote:

I can see what you mean...I was thinking more of budgetary constraints, the way they had to scale down on locations.

I'm not complaining about the London Underground though...Bond shouldn't always be in exotic locales, his job calls for dark and grimy places too, even slums...I wouldn't complain about an opening sequence somewhere in a third world country.

Like, oh, I dunno, Madagascar?

;)
Back to top Go down
bitchcraft
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
bitchcraft

PostSubject: Re: Sam Mendes: 'I did Skyfall to wake myself up. It has certainly done that'   Sam Mendes: 'I did Skyfall to wake myself up. It has certainly done that' EmptySun Dec 09, 2012 11:11 pm

Perilagu Khan wrote:

Like, oh, I dunno, Madagascar?;)

'Madagascar' (or where it was really shot) didn't really come across as a 3rd world country, because it was mostly shot on a construction site with a crane. Yeah, there was a bit of chase after in an embassy....that counts too.

Back to top Go down
GeneralGogol
Q Branch
Q Branch
GeneralGogol

PostSubject: Re: Sam Mendes: 'I did Skyfall to wake myself up. It has certainly done that'   Sam Mendes: 'I did Skyfall to wake myself up. It has certainly done that' EmptySun Dec 09, 2012 11:18 pm

If there is anyone to convince Mendes to return, it's Logan and his script. Get cracking, John!
Back to top Go down
Prisoner Monkeys
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Prisoner Monkeys

PostSubject: Re: Sam Mendes: 'I did Skyfall to wake myself up. It has certainly done that'   Sam Mendes: 'I did Skyfall to wake myself up. It has certainly done that' EmptyMon Dec 10, 2012 12:43 am

I think that one of the best things about SKYFALL was that it was as good for Mendes as Mendes was for it. We've had directors in the past - Forster, Apted and Spottiswoode spring to mind - who were either good for the film, or the film was good for them, but never both, and the end result was disappointing. It was a parasitic, rather than symbiotic, relationship between film and director.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sam Mendes: 'I did Skyfall to wake myself up. It has certainly done that'   Sam Mendes: 'I did Skyfall to wake myself up. It has certainly done that' Empty

Back to top Go down

Sam Mendes: 'I did Skyfall to wake myself up. It has certainly done that'
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bond And Beyond :: Bond :: The Bond Films: Reviews, Ratings & Discussion :: Skyfall (2012) :: News, Interviews and Tabloid Rumours-
Jump to: