More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Making of TLD book ... anybody got this yet?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
trevanian
Head of Station
Head of Station
trevanian

Making of TLD book ... anybody got this yet? Empty
PostSubject: Making of TLD book ... anybody got this yet?   Making of TLD book ... anybody got this yet? EmptyMon Dec 17, 2012 1:35 am

As much as I wanted the OHMSS one, this one has to trump that now.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Making-Living-Daylights/dp/098441262X
Back to top Go down
trevanian
Head of Station
Head of Station
trevanian

PostSubject: Re: Making of TLD book ... anybody got this yet?   Making of TLD book ... anybody got this yet? EmptyWed Dec 19, 2012 1:19 am

trevanian wrote:
As much as I wanted the OHMSS one, this one has to trump that now.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Making-Living-Daylights/dp/098441262X

Well, I got a 20% coupon from BARNES&NOBLE so I bit, they had it in stock, free ship, so a hair under 40 bucks, should be here for xmas. Will let you all know how good it is, and if I'm willing to unload it on ebay after reading it a couple times through (am not expecting to let go of it.)
Back to top Go down
Louis Armstrong
Q Branch
Q Branch
Louis Armstrong

PostSubject: Re: Making of TLD book ... anybody got this yet?   Making of TLD book ... anybody got this yet? EmptyWed Dec 19, 2012 7:46 pm

I look forward to hearing what you think about the book.
Back to top Go down
trevanian
Head of Station
Head of Station
trevanian

PostSubject: Re: Making of TLD book ... anybody got this yet?   Making of TLD book ... anybody got this yet? EmptyWed Dec 19, 2012 8:05 pm

CB actuallly posted a couple of 'graphs already, stuff I certainly hadn't ever heard of, that Diana Rigg's bird is the one used in FYEO and TLD. I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to fork out for the OHMSS book as soon as I've polished this one off.

I might even feel gushy enough to write this guy a fan letter, as I greatly admire and appreciate that kind of attention to detail (this coming from somebody who has often enough had 'the good parts' trimmed from articles for reasons of space ... at CINEFEX, if the mag didn't get enough good pictures, then they'd cut the text to keep their image-to-text ratio constant, which drove me friggin' NUTS on TREK pictures, because Paramount would almost never send anything at all, and took their time approving VFX house images as well.)
Back to top Go down
trevanian
Head of Station
Head of Station
trevanian

PostSubject: Re: Making of TLD book ... anybody got this yet?   Making of TLD book ... anybody got this yet? EmptyTue Dec 25, 2012 12:51 am

first impressions, having spent about 5min flipping CAREFULLY through it (carefully because it looks like the DEEP SPACE NINE companion in terms of thickness and seeming ease for the binding to fall apart ... I don't see how it is possible to read unless I'm using one hand to hold the spine pinched. I'm hell-rough even on hardcover books, but this one is really going to be a challenge. )

Anyway, LOTS of pictures, mostly new, and precious few awkward ones, Dalton and D'abo look great from just about all angles.

I read a bit up front, a photo caption about their young Bond reboot idea at that time and was horrified by it (young Bond goes to his family home and shoots skeet while talking family naval history with granddaddy, who croaks, prompting Bond to go into the secret service. I'll always think of it as SKYFALL JR.)

Am a little distracted because according to tracking, that CINEMA RETRO special 140 page DR NO issue was supposed to arrive earlier today, and the mail has already came. That suggests the mag got delivered to the wrong address, which if true s going to harsh my TLD mellow somewhat.

Back to top Go down
coco1997
Cipher Clerk
coco1997

PostSubject: Re: Making of TLD book ... anybody got this yet?   Making of TLD book ... anybody got this yet? EmptyTue Dec 25, 2012 4:51 am

trevanian wrote:

I read a bit up front, a photo caption about their young Bond reboot idea at that time and was horrified by it (young Bond goes to his family home and shoots skeet while talking family naval history with granddaddy, who croaks, prompting Bond to go into the secret service. I'll always think of it as SKYFALL JR.)

How much detail does it go into about this early draft, trevanian? Is it a full outline of the original story or just a few quick sentences?
Back to top Go down
trevanian
Head of Station
Head of Station
trevanian

PostSubject: Re: Making of TLD book ... anybody got this yet?   Making of TLD book ... anybody got this yet? EmptyTue Dec 25, 2012 9:55 pm

coco1997 wrote:
trevanian wrote:

How much detail does it go into about this early draft, trevanian? Is it a full outline of the original story or just a few quick sentences?

I've read up through postproduction now, most of the way through ... there is an enormous amount of detail about this unused version, goes on for pages (MOST of this treatment pairs Bond as a trainee with an earlier 007 ... the stuff I mentioned in the caption is presumably just act 1) ...

Normally I love detailed synopses, but there is a certain flatness to the way he writes this part (and an equally lengthy summation of the Gogol-not-Pushkin draft), so it isn't really gripping - if you've ever read that MAKING OF CLOSE ENCOUNTERS book, you may know what I mean, where you are happy to get all this info but it almost reads like too much of a good thing.

What IS very interesting about the YOUNG LT. BOND treatment is that it is specifically set in 1972 ... and yet the story ends with Bond as the new 007 being sent off to deal with DR NO, thus violating all the 'seasoned Bond' feel we got in the real DR NO.

Book dismisses the Findlay Light stories simply by saying there was an inaccurate newspaper report saying he was hired, nothing more ... given that there is a bit of webspace on this subject, the dismissal seems a bit light, like saying Oswald acted alone by saying, well ... Oswald acted alone.

Dalton is coming off fantastic in this book, always buying drinks for the crew and helping out any way he can, apparently because he took O'Toole and Hepburn as career models during LION. Also says he decided to become an actor after seeing RED BERET as a pre-teenkid, which sounds amazingly coincidental given that Young, directed, Maibaum scripted and Broc produced!

Not a wealth of tech info, so it isn't duplicating the material in AMERICAN CINEMATOGRAPHER and CINEFEX at all (which is too bad, because I have gone through about 7 of those ACs on TLD, they keep falling apart.)
ALSO:
That DR NO RETRO CINEMA mag came in too (had been lying on a neighbor's doorstep in the rain all day ... very fortunate it was superbly wrapped, wound up totally undamaged) and I have to say it is downright breathtaking. Tons and tons of pics (one amusing one that seems like Connery is talking to Andress' crotch that MUST be seen to be believed), and I read the Joanna Harwood interview, in which she takes an extremely dim view of all matters pertaining to Terence Young and offers a drastically different view of how DR NO evolved. She mentions involvement in FRWL, but does not mention Len Deighton at all
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Making of TLD book ... anybody got this yet?   Making of TLD book ... anybody got this yet? EmptyTue Dec 25, 2012 9:59 pm

No, but I'd really like to get it, though!

Got the OHMSS one earlier in the year!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Making of TLD book ... anybody got this yet?   Making of TLD book ... anybody got this yet? Empty

Back to top Go down

Making of TLD book ... anybody got this yet?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bond And Beyond :: Bond :: The Bond Films: Reviews, Ratings & Discussion :: The Living Daylights (1987)-
Jump to: