More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Is Karl Stromberg under-utilised in The Spy Who Loved Me?

Go down 
+13
ironpony
Professor Train
lachesis
CJB
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
KingCobra686
AMC Hornet
j7wild
Blunt Instrument
Walecs
Largo's Shark
Gravity's Silhouette
Perilagu Khan
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
ironpony
Q Branch
Q Branch
ironpony

Is Karl Stromberg under-utilised in The Spy Who Loved Me?  - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is Karl Stromberg under-utilised in The Spy Who Loved Me?    Is Karl Stromberg under-utilised in The Spy Who Loved Me?  - Page 3 EmptyWed Dec 06, 2017 6:06 pm

Yeah it could be stronger, but the Bond villains plans are unusually flimsy anyway sometimes. Like the villain in Octopussy, Orlov. I mean would his crazy plan actually work the way he wants it to?

Or why does Zorin want to destroy Silicon valley? He wants to take over the microchip market, but Silicon valley purchases microchips, they do not manufacture them. So Zorin is actually killing his own customers.

The villain's motives don't often have the best reasons, but that doesn't make them bad does it?
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Is Karl Stromberg under-utilised in The Spy Who Loved Me?    Is Karl Stromberg under-utilised in The Spy Who Loved Me?  - Page 3 EmptyWed Dec 06, 2017 10:15 pm

I've longed maintained that Orlov's plan is one of the best in the series, and I think it's one of the most plausible too. But again I think you're confusing goal with motive. Where Orlov's plan (of detonating a bomb inside the US air base so that Soviet forces could invade without interference) is politically motivated, Stromberg's desire to end civilisation for him to create a world beneath the sea is plain silly.

As for Zorin, Silicon Valley got its name from its manufacturing of microchips. Zorin, in essence, wants to wipe out his competitors to monopolise the industry. So greed is motivating Zorin.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Is Karl Stromberg under-utilised in The Spy Who Loved Me?    Is Karl Stromberg under-utilised in The Spy Who Loved Me?  - Page 3 EmptyWed Dec 06, 2017 10:38 pm

Stromberg's plan always seemed too similar to Drax's or vice versa. The cleansing of the Earth for a new world order of some type. Drax's seemed the more convincing, perhaps by seeing the globes and their effect on humans should they work.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Is Karl Stromberg under-utilised in The Spy Who Loved Me?    Is Karl Stromberg under-utilised in The Spy Who Loved Me?  - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 07, 2017 5:46 am

Exactly. The perfect 70s Bond extravaganza lay somewhere between TSWLM and MR, perhaps taking TSWLM's focus and Bond/XXX subplot, mixed with Lonsdale's Drax and Barry's music.
Back to top Go down
ironpony
Q Branch
Q Branch
ironpony

PostSubject: Re: Is Karl Stromberg under-utilised in The Spy Who Loved Me?    Is Karl Stromberg under-utilised in The Spy Who Loved Me?  - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 07, 2017 6:21 am

Yeah I agree that Drax was better in every way. TSWLM and MR are probably the only 70s ones I like.
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Is Karl Stromberg under-utilised in The Spy Who Loved Me?    Is Karl Stromberg under-utilised in The Spy Who Loved Me?  - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 07, 2017 7:58 am

ironpony wrote:
But Stromberg hates the world and that is why he wants to reduce, cause he feels it needs to be quashed and replenished.  

Official Karl Stromberg Soundtrack.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Is Karl Stromberg under-utilised in The Spy Who Loved Me?    Is Karl Stromberg under-utilised in The Spy Who Loved Me?  - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 07, 2017 10:10 am

laugh
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Is Karl Stromberg under-utilised in The Spy Who Loved Me?    Is Karl Stromberg under-utilised in The Spy Who Loved Me?  - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 07, 2017 7:48 pm

FieldsMan wrote:
Exactly. The perfect 70s Bond extravaganza lay somewhere between TSWLM and MR, perhaps taking TSWLM's focus and Bond/XXX subplot, mixed with Lonsdale's Drax and Barry's music.

You could be onto something there ... I like bits of MR, but feel overall it goes 'too far' whereas Spy goes just far enough. If that makes sense.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Is Karl Stromberg under-utilised in The Spy Who Loved Me?    Is Karl Stromberg under-utilised in The Spy Who Loved Me?  - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 07, 2017 11:10 pm

Well, MR, did literally go out of this world. colgate
Back to top Go down
ironpony
Q Branch
Q Branch
ironpony

PostSubject: Re: Is Karl Stromberg under-utilised in The Spy Who Loved Me?    Is Karl Stromberg under-utilised in The Spy Who Loved Me?  - Page 3 EmptyFri Dec 08, 2017 12:45 am

As much as I like MR, a lot of fans don't like it. Perhaps if they had plot from the movie Space Cowboys, but put James Bond in it, wanting to go to space to retrieve it before terrorists do, then people might accept Bond going into space better. But I like Drax's plan as well.
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Is Karl Stromberg under-utilised in The Spy Who Loved Me?    Is Karl Stromberg under-utilised in The Spy Who Loved Me?  - Page 3 EmptyFri Dec 08, 2017 6:49 am

ironpony wrote:
As much as I like MR, a lot of fans don't like it.  Perhaps if they had plot from the movie Space Cowboys, but put James Bond in it, wanting to go to space to retrieve it before terrorists do, then people might accept Bond going into space better.  But I like Drax's plan as well.

Isn't that the movie where a geriatric Clint Eastwood goes to space?

Well, I suppose MR wasn't that far off...
Back to top Go down
ironpony
Q Branch
Q Branch
ironpony

PostSubject: Re: Is Karl Stromberg under-utilised in The Spy Who Loved Me?    Is Karl Stromberg under-utilised in The Spy Who Loved Me?  - Page 3 EmptyFri Dec 08, 2017 7:02 am

Yes that movie. But I felt that the Soviet space weapon in that movie, would have been a good idea for a more plausible MR plot for Bond. Not that it matters now, I still like MR, just thinking...
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Is Karl Stromberg under-utilised in The Spy Who Loved Me?    Is Karl Stromberg under-utilised in The Spy Who Loved Me?  - Page 3 EmptyFri Dec 08, 2017 7:38 am

It would certainly have a better grounding in espionage, but I would have preferred a straight adaptation of the novel.

But back to Stromberg, Jurgens has such a great, commanding presence which is why the character works. But had another actor played him it might not have been as appealing, since the character is, really, two dimensional.
Back to top Go down
ironpony
Q Branch
Q Branch
ironpony

PostSubject: Re: Is Karl Stromberg under-utilised in The Spy Who Loved Me?    Is Karl Stromberg under-utilised in The Spy Who Loved Me?  - Page 3 EmptyFri Dec 08, 2017 7:47 am

That's true. I really like Jurgen's voice in the role, especially over his PA system in his Atlantis hideout.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Is Karl Stromberg under-utilised in The Spy Who Loved Me?    Is Karl Stromberg under-utilised in The Spy Who Loved Me?  - Page 3 EmptyFri Dec 08, 2017 12:00 pm

Germans make good villains - Lotte Lenya, Gert Frobe, Ilse Steppat, Curt Jurgens, Gottfried John, Gotz Otto...
Back to top Go down
ironpony
Q Branch
Q Branch
ironpony

PostSubject: Re: Is Karl Stromberg under-utilised in The Spy Who Loved Me?    Is Karl Stromberg under-utilised in The Spy Who Loved Me?  - Page 3 EmptyFri Dec 08, 2017 5:33 pm

Is it cause of the accents?
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Is Karl Stromberg under-utilised in The Spy Who Loved Me?    Is Karl Stromberg under-utilised in The Spy Who Loved Me?  - Page 3 EmptyFri Dec 08, 2017 6:06 pm

That and them trying to rule the world on two occasions.

tumbleweed
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Is Karl Stromberg under-utilised in The Spy Who Loved Me?    Is Karl Stromberg under-utilised in The Spy Who Loved Me?  - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 09, 2017 12:16 am

Hilly KCMG wrote:

tumbleweed

Three*

Is Karl Stromberg under-utilised in The Spy Who Loved Me?  - Page 3 Eu-flag-blowing-in-the-wind-563356
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: Is Karl Stromberg under-utilised in The Spy Who Loved Me?    Is Karl Stromberg under-utilised in The Spy Who Loved Me?  - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 09, 2017 1:29 pm

CJB wrote:
Hilly KCMG wrote:

tumbleweed

Three*

Is Karl Stromberg under-utilised in The Spy Who Loved Me?  - Page 3 Eu-flag-blowing-in-the-wind-563356

As someone who has relatives who lived through attempt n° 2, I find that attempt n° 3 is not quite as horrifying.
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Is Karl Stromberg under-utilised in The Spy Who Loved Me?    Is Karl Stromberg under-utilised in The Spy Who Loved Me?  - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 10, 2017 1:46 am

Fritz has learned the importance of tact.
Back to top Go down
xJoker

xJoker

PostSubject: Re: Is Karl Stromberg under-utilised in The Spy Who Loved Me?    Is Karl Stromberg under-utilised in The Spy Who Loved Me?  - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 17, 2019 3:19 pm

Perilagu Khan wrote:
Credit Jurgens. His Stromberg radiates evil more palpably than any other Bond villain

They probably underpaid him to evoke that level of animosity.
Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: Is Karl Stromberg under-utilised in The Spy Who Loved Me?    Is Karl Stromberg under-utilised in The Spy Who Loved Me?  - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 18, 2019 1:19 am

YES YES A THOUSAND TIMES YES.

Jurgens actually does very well and gives both weight and gravitas to many scenes and lines. The reclined almost relaxed villain was a departure in 1977 as much as it was to have a villain who was just plain mad and not out for any sort of gains other than a mad dream.

But it is done so, SO much better in MR that it remains the one indisputable contribution to that film being better in a respect than its immediate predecessor and structure basis.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Is Karl Stromberg under-utilised in The Spy Who Loved Me?    Is Karl Stromberg under-utilised in The Spy Who Loved Me?  - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 07, 2019 10:05 am

hegottheboot wrote:
YES YES A THOUSAND TIMES YES.

Jurgens actually does very well and gives both weight and gravitas to many scenes and lines. The reclined almost relaxed villain was a departure in 1977 as much as it was to have a villain who was just plain mad and not out for any sort of gains other than a mad dream.

But it is done so, SO much better in MR that it remains the one indisputable contribution to that film being better in a respect than its immediate predecessor and structure basis.

Yep, as I said in MR review recently, Drax had personality to offset the sheer insanity of his plan. Stromberg rests solely on his desire to have an underwater city and the gravitas of his voice. Jurgens playing a character like Goldfinger would have been perfect.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is Karl Stromberg under-utilised in The Spy Who Loved Me?    Is Karl Stromberg under-utilised in The Spy Who Loved Me?  - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Is Karl Stromberg under-utilised in The Spy Who Loved Me?
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bond And Beyond :: Bond :: The Bond Films: Reviews, Ratings & Discussion :: The Spy Who Loved Me (1977)-
Jump to: