More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Father Brown - Any fans on here?

Go down 
+2
Hilly
Ravenstone
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Anonymous

Father Brown - Any fans on here? Empty
PostSubject: Father Brown - Any fans on here?   Father Brown - Any fans on here? EmptyMon Jan 14, 2013 11:50 pm

Are there any fans of G.K. Chesterton's Father Brown on here?

BBC 1 at 2.10pm-3pm every weekday - the new series time.

Any fans of the old Father Brown series starring Kenneth More?
Back to top Go down
Ravenstone
Head of Station
Head of Station
Ravenstone

PostSubject: Re: Father Brown - Any fans on here?   Father Brown - Any fans on here? EmptyTue Jan 15, 2013 6:19 pm

I'm a huge fan of the Father Brown stories. I've only seen snippets of Kenneth More, though, and I have no idea about a new series. What's it like?
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Father Brown - Any fans on here?   Father Brown - Any fans on here? EmptyTue Jan 15, 2013 6:37 pm

Only seen one episode as yet - it was rather good - 'The Hammer of God'. It seems it's going to0 be a 10-part series of 50 minute episodes.
Back to top Go down
Ravenstone
Head of Station
Head of Station
Ravenstone

PostSubject: Re: Father Brown - Any fans on here?   Father Brown - Any fans on here? EmptyTue Jan 15, 2013 6:41 pm

Well, I've set it to record. It appears to be an episode every day. I started to watch Hammer of God on iPlayer, but it jammed 15 minutes or so in. Typical. But both episodes are on iPlayer if you want to catch today's. I seem to remember Hammer of God being one filmed with Kenneth More as well.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Father Brown - Any fans on here?   Father Brown - Any fans on here? EmptyTue Jan 15, 2013 10:19 pm

Ravenstone wrote:
Well, I've set it to record. It appears to be an episode every day. I started to watch Hammer of God on iPlayer, but it jammed 15 minutes or so in. Typical. But both episodes are on iPlayer if you want to catch today's. I seem to remember Hammer of God being one filmed with Kenneth More as well.

Yes, you can find that episode on You Tube!
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Father Brown - Any fans on here?   Father Brown - Any fans on here? EmptyTue Jan 15, 2013 10:24 pm

I've read some of Father Brown, as a big Kenneth More fan it's something I've tried to get round to seeing.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
saint mark
Head of Station
Head of Station
saint mark

PostSubject: Re: Father Brown - Any fans on here?   Father Brown - Any fans on here? EmptyTue Jan 15, 2013 10:51 pm

Have the Kenneth More series on dvd, they mak for some dated but enjoyable watching.

I have a few of the early Father Brown books.

Did enjoy the Alec Guiness movie

And this 1st episode was rather enjoyable. the time of broadcast rather surprises me.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Father Brown - Any fans on here?   Father Brown - Any fans on here? EmptyTue Jan 15, 2013 11:02 pm

saint mark wrote:
Have the Kenneth More series on dvd, they mak for some dated but enjoyable watching.

I have a few of the early Father Brown books.

Did enjoy the Alec Guiness movie

And this 1st episode was rather enjoyable. the time of broadcast rather surprises me.

Yes, the battered in skull was quite bloody for after 2pm in the afternoon!
Back to top Go down
Ravenstone
Head of Station
Head of Station
Ravenstone

PostSubject: Re: Father Brown - Any fans on here?   Father Brown - Any fans on here? EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 7:09 pm

It seems a strange time for such a programme to be broadcast. Why not a Sunday or Saturday evening viewing, in the traditional Columbo and Midsomer slots?
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Father Brown - Any fans on here?   Father Brown - Any fans on here? EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 7:12 pm

Ravenstone wrote:
It seems a strange time for such a programme to be broadcast. Why not a Sunday or Saturday evening viewing, in the traditional Columbo and Midsomer slots?

Yes, it means I'm at work and therefore miss it. Just that housewives early afternoon tea and biccy slot that they're aiming for, I suppose.
Back to top Go down
Ravenstone
Head of Station
Head of Station
Ravenstone

PostSubject: Re: Father Brown - Any fans on here?   Father Brown - Any fans on here? EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 7:36 pm

Yes, but that's usually reserved for repeats of Murder She Wrote and that series with the doctors in helicopters or whatever it was called. Not a new series.

What exactly do broadcasters have against Father Brown? I mean, it's taken them long enough to consider a remake, and then they stick it on the graveyard shift?
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Father Brown - Any fans on here?   Father Brown - Any fans on here? EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 7:52 pm

Ravenstone wrote:
Yes, but that's usually reserved for repeats of Murder She Wrote and that series with the doctors in helicopters or whatever it was called. Not a new series.

What exactly do broadcasters have against Father Brown? I mean, it's taken them long enough to consider a remake, and then they stick it on the graveyard shift?

Perhaps repeats later on at night would be the answer here?
Back to top Go down
Ravenstone
Head of Station
Head of Station
Ravenstone

PostSubject: Re: Father Brown - Any fans on here?   Father Brown - Any fans on here? EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 7:55 pm

Just seems like they don't want it to be seen. Bizarrely.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Father Brown - Any fans on here?   Father Brown - Any fans on here? EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 9:58 pm

Ravenstone wrote:

you don't mean Flying Doctors do you, Rave?
Back to top Go down
Ravenstone
Head of Station
Head of Station
Ravenstone

PostSubject: Re: Father Brown - Any fans on here?   Father Brown - Any fans on here? EmptyThu Jan 17, 2013 4:51 pm

Probably! I know it always seemed to be on around 2pm every afternoon. That or repeats of Murder She Wrote :D
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Father Brown - Any fans on here?   Father Brown - Any fans on here? EmptyThu Jan 17, 2013 7:10 pm

Ravenstone wrote:
Probably! I know it always seemed to be on around 2pm every afternoon. That or repeats of Murder She Wrote :D

No, it's just called Doctors, a UK soap to replace Neighbours, which went to Channel 5 a number of years back.
Back to top Go down
Ravenstone
Head of Station
Head of Station
Ravenstone

PostSubject: Re: Father Brown - Any fans on here?   Father Brown - Any fans on here? EmptyFri Jan 18, 2013 9:09 pm

I watched a couple of episodes today, and I felt Father Brown had lost his common touch somewhat. Usually, Father Brown visited the servants, not the masters, and hung around the edges. Due to being Catholic, of course, and the time the stories were written.

I also noticed that the church they filmed in isn't Catholic.* And one episode I saw had three "Catholics" leaving the church, turning their back on the High Altar, without genuflecting.

* There's no tabernacle I could see
There's no high altar
There's no gate separating the altar from the congregation
There's no Stations of the Cross
There's no Sanctuary lamp
The church is far too old
It has a churchyard

And that's before we get into the whole thing that all Church ceremonies would have been done in Latin, so the German priest episode was a particular problem.

Back to top Go down
Thunderpussy
Cipher Clerk
Thunderpussy

PostSubject: Re: Father Brown - Any fans on here?   Father Brown - Any fans on here? EmptyMon May 10, 2021 10:32 pm

I really got in to Fr Brown watching it on BritBox (uk)  I can't speak on the religious accuracy, but I do enjoy a good juicy murder. As I'm also an avid watcher of Marple and Poirot  TV Series and Movies. Hence why I'm looking forward to the new version of Death on the Nile and yes I have also read a few of the Books.
Another fun Murder Mystery series is The Brokenwood Mysteries which is advertised as Midsomer Murders in
New Zealand, but it's really funny with quirky locals and some bizarre Murders. It's on the Acorn TV channel.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Father Brown - Any fans on here?   Father Brown - Any fans on here? EmptyTue May 11, 2021 11:20 am

I know time moves on and so must actors, but I much prefer Mark Williams in the likes of The Fast Show. Me, Mum, sis and brother-in-law sat through a few back-to-back Father Browns on Alibi a few Christmases ago ... didn't make me a fan, I'm afraid.
Back to top Go down
Thunderpussy
Cipher Clerk
Thunderpussy

PostSubject: Re: Father Brown - Any fans on here?   Father Brown - Any fans on here? EmptyTue May 11, 2021 11:47 am

I know there was an old BBC series of Fr Brown with Kenneth Moore in the early 70s, but sadly I've never seen it.
Back to top Go down
AMC Hornet
Head of Station
Head of Station
AMC Hornet

PostSubject: Re: Father Brown - Any fans on here?   Father Brown - Any fans on here? EmptySun May 16, 2021 2:23 am

My wife and I watch it...religiously, you might say (actually, you probably wouldn't).

I appear to be alone in thinking that Alex Price would make a good 007.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Father Brown - Any fans on here?   Father Brown - Any fans on here? EmptyMon May 17, 2021 5:45 pm

I've not watched any but being a big Kenneth More fan, I will at some point. I read some about some of the filming via Angela Douglas' autobio.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Father Brown - Any fans on here?   Father Brown - Any fans on here? Empty

Back to top Go down

Father Brown - Any fans on here?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bond And Beyond :: Beyond :: Television & Radio-
Jump to: