These forums may contain mild adult content and are not associated with EON, Sony or any other companies and do not reflect their views.

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Dominic Cooper to play Ian Fleming in new Sky drama

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Largo's Shark

PostSubject: Dominic Cooper to play Ian Fleming in new Sky drama   Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:41 am

Quote :
Mamma Mia! star Dominic Cooper is to play Ian Fleming in a new drama about the James Bond creator, to be screened later this year.

The British actor will portray the author in a "no-holds barred" four-part drama on Sky Atlantic.

Cooper said: "Stepping into the shoes of the spy who not only created 007 but fantasised about being him has to be every actor's dream."

Kylie Minogue has also been recruited by Sky to star in Playhouse Presents.

The actress-turned singer is keen to return to her roots, having made her name playing the role of Charlene in Australian soap opera Neighbours in the 1980s.

Kylie Minogue and Peter Serafinowicz Kylie Minogue stars alongside Peter Serafinowicz

She will appear in Hey Diddly Dee, a play written and directed by actor Marc Warren.

"When the script was sent to me, I read it and knew instinctively I wanted to be part of this project," said Minogue.

"In Hey Diddly Dee, Marc has created a beautiful and quirky story. I have also enjoyed many of the Playhouse Presents series and love that they have created a platform for this type of work."

Minogue joins a raft of talent including Vanessa Redgrave, Kathy Burke, Anna Friel and Matthew Horne in the new series, while Matt Smith and Idris Elba join Warren in making their directorial debuts.

Other announcements in the Sky drama schedule include The Reckless Season - five original dramas from some of Britain's most critically-acclaimed female screenwriters, including Sally Wainwright, Gwyneth Hughes and Annie Griffin - and the two-part finale of Mad Dogs, starring Philip Glenister and John Simm.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-21041593
Back to top Go down
Control
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Dominic Cooper to play Ian Fleming in new Sky drama   Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:56 am

laugh
Back to top Go down
CJB
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Dominic Cooper to play Ian Fleming in new Sky drama   Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:47 pm

Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Dominic Cooper to play Ian Fleming in new Sky drama   Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:50 am

This isn't what the proposed big-screen Fleming biopic has turned into instead, is it? :suspect:
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Dominic Cooper to play Ian Fleming in new Sky drama   Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:21 am

http://www.mi6-hq.com/news/index.php?itemid=11196&t=mi6&s=news

I'm interested in seeing how this turns out. I'm not sure of the casting, but I do like Cooper and I'll give him a shot.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Dominic Cooper to play Ian Fleming in new Sky drama   Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:35 pm

It looks pretty clear now that they're taking a more fictitious approach to depicting Fleming's life leading up to writing Bond, right down to how he gets the name. I haven't been keeping up to date with the production of this mini-series, but it certainly wasn't something I was expecting. It's like a blending of Fleming and the Bond books. I won't really know how I feel about it until I watch it all, but I hope it's fun. If anything, at least it's not taking a critical approach to Fleming's character and politics, something a lot of Fleming's harshest critics might actually complain about.
Back to top Go down
CJB
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Dominic Cooper to play Ian Fleming in new Sky drama   Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:48 pm

Looks like it'll have Fleming doing parkour through the streets of Berlin.
Back to top Go down
Fairbairn-Sykes
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Dominic Cooper to play Ian Fleming in new Sky drama   Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:36 pm

Unfortunate. We've seen this sort of approach before, overglamourizing Fleming to the point of turning him into James Bond, when really Bond was his fantasy version of what his life should have been like, his escape. Dude had a cool life, but it wasn't an Austin Powers movie.

So far the only screen treatment of Fleming's life I've enjoyed was the Charles Dance project, and even that had its number of issues.
Back to top Go down
http://goldenagebat.blogspot.com
Blunt Instrument
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Dominic Cooper to play Ian Fleming in new Sky drama   Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:39 pm

Ugh, who decides that a colleague/friend of Fleming's coming up with Bond's name is a better story than what ACTUALLY happened?  wot
Back to top Go down
Walecs
Senior Correspondent

PostSubject: Re: Dominic Cooper to play Ian Fleming in new Sky drama   Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:01 am

Blunt Instrument wrote:
Ugh, who decides that a colleague/friend of Fleming's coming up with Bond's name is a better story than what ACTUALLY happened?  wot

Exactly. I thought this was going to be a historically accurated, instead it seams they're trying to replicate the success of Bond movies.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dominic Cooper to play Ian Fleming in new Sky drama   

Back to top Go down

Dominic Cooper to play Ian Fleming in new Sky drama
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bond And Beyond :: Bond :: Literary Bond-
Jump to: