These forums may contain mild adult content and are not associated with EON, Sony or any other companies and do not reflect their views.

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

The Robocop Franchise

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
boldfinger
Correspondent
Correspondent

PostSubject: Re: The Robocop Franchise   Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:07 am

The new one is not half as bad as I thought, but it´s not a great film either. I´d say it feels like a halfway decent tv movie. Certainly no watered-down shit, it has some really nice moments, it´s just not ultra-violent.
Back to top Go down
Erica Ambler
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: The Robocop Franchise   Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:44 pm

It landed on Netflix Albania a few weeks ago, but I've only just got round to watching Robocop 2014: well, doing the laundry to it. That’s how much attention I thought it deserved, but it’s not as bad as has been suggested. It's better than either of RoboClassic's sequels, actually. Small recommendation, I know, but it could’ve been a lot worse.

Yes, the music is Zimmer-esque shit and the robosuit a bland blend of Kevlar and Cylon technologies, but Foxconn's Robocop production line and Team America's ED209s in Tehran are worth seeing. True ,I'd have been annoyed if I'd paid to see it, but as it was I got my boxer shorts done in half the time. Omnicorp detergent for the whitest white you've ever seen.

Almost forgot. Gary Oldman takes it oh so seriously. Slumming, but at least he didn’t take the cheque and run. Also good to see Michael Keaton - thought he'd died - even if I'd have preferred Hugh Laurie. And as ever, Samuel L. Jackson gets the best line.

I await Gravy’s thread on robophobia.
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: The Robocop Franchise   Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:22 am

I thought it was rather dreadful all around.

The same applies for the post-Verhoeven sequels, of course.
Back to top Go down
Erica Ambler
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: The Robocop Franchise   Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:23 am

Verhoeven made a superhero film for adults, a questionable concept. However, I appreciate his satirical edge, his belief that the USA is a fascist state and, most of all, that any casualties must bleed and disintegrate realistically. The lack of sentimentality, in other words. Leave that shit to Spielberg and his followers.

All post-Verhoeven Robocops have been made with females', childrens' and toy manufacturers' stereotypes and sensibilities in mind: that means ultraviolence without blood, and tears of redemption rather than pain. Filmmaking these days is for the emotionally incontinent and reality illiterate. That's what happens when marketeers, actors, producers and directors hold the power rather than writers.

Could a mod retitle this thread to reflect that it's about Robocop as a whole rather than the 2014 film only?
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: The Robocop Franchise   Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:59 am

I think 2 tried to retain the edge of the first, it's issues are primarily the script being such a mess with too many ideas and subplots thrown in. Starting with 3 is when they tried to make it more appealing to broader audiences (with the exception of PRIME DIRECTIVES, which didn't seem to be aimed for anyone).
Back to top Go down
Erica Ambler
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: The Robocop Franchise   Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:21 am

Haven't seen 2 in years, probably because it had all the nastiness of Verhoeven, but none of the gross-out humour. That and the fact that it was crap.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: The Robocop Franchise   Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:53 am

Where Verhoeven made it so over the top that it was funny, Kershner played the violence straight which made it more uncomfortable. It's why Verhoeven was against the R rated cut because distilling the cartoonish violence only made it disturbing.

I do like how 2 ended in such a casual and cynical way. The Old Man gets away with his crimes, which upsets Lewis but Robocop tries comforting her with "we're only human" while screwing his head piece back on.

Back to top Go down
Erica Ambler
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: The Robocop Franchise   Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:59 am

Dog Bond taught me to Womp to this:

Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark

PostSubject: Re: The Robocop Franchise   Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:01 pm

ROBOCOP 2 is a much bleaker film than the original, and it wasn't without black humour.

It's a little rough around the edges, but Irvin Kirshner was fine craftsman, and one of the neglected directors of New Hollywood. There's more to his body of work than Star Shit and Kevin McClory.
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: The Robocop Franchise   Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:43 pm

I do remember those failed Robocops as one of the few scenes in the second movie that worked for me.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark

PostSubject: Re: The Robocop Franchise   Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:23 am

God I miss stop motion.
Back to top Go down
Erica Ambler
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: The Robocop Franchise   Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:58 am

Largo's Shark wrote:
Irvin Kirshner was fine craftsman, and one of the neglected directors of New Hollywood.

His big budget work suggests he was a hack.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark

PostSubject: Re: The Robocop Franchise   Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:11 am

Erica Ambler wrote:
Largo's Shark wrote:
Irvin Kirshner was fine craftsman, and one of the neglected directors of New Hollywood.

His big budget work suggests he was a hack.

You could say the same about Lee Tamahori.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Robocop Franchise   

Back to top Go down

The Robocop Franchise
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bond And Beyond :: Beyond :: Film News & Film Discussion-
Jump to: