More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Last Movie You Watched? the 8th

Go down 
+31
Lazenby.
Prisoner Monkeys
Jack Wade
Santa
GeneralGogol
Salomé
tiffanywint
Louis Armstrong
lachesis
Tubes
bondfan06
Control
Drax
Loomis
Fairbairn-Sykes
bitchcraft
saint mark
Gravity's Silhouette
Ravenstone
Harmsway
HJackson
CJB
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Makeshift Python
dr. strangelove
Blunt Instrument
Largo's Shark
Manhunter
The White Tuxedo
j7wild
Hilly
35 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 30 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Fairbairn-Sykes
Head of Station
Head of Station
Fairbairn-Sykes

Last Movie You Watched? the 8th - Page 20 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? the 8th   Last Movie You Watched? the 8th - Page 20 EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 12:34 am

Erica Ambler wrote:

I think a basic problem with IB is that unless one has some knowledge of the Second World War, the American soldiers behave a damn sight worse than the Nazis.

1) Well, they are called "Basterds".
2) You'd have to be really amazingly ill-informed, almost purposely so, to grow up without knowing "Nazis are bad, and did terrible things." Especially to be that completely ignorant and be old enough to see IB (since theoretically you should be over 18). And then to be that stupid, see IB, and come away thinking "Americans are bad" was the message -- well, that just doesn't match the psychology of the idiotic teens you claim QT is pandering to. More likely that they see the movie and think "Americans are awesome" because they love uber-violence, or they hate the movie anyway because there are big long talking sections in subtitles with no violence.

I think it's unfair to say "well, this movie doesn't work if you hypothetically managed to grow up and not know anything about WWII." I don't think the Second World War requires much contextualizing or history explaining in cinematic depictions of it, even 70 years later. I mean, it's basically the last time America can look back on and say "yeah we were great!" unquestionably, so it's mythologized to an insane degree. You can either see IB as continuing or subverting that mythologization.

IB isn't meant for 13 year olds, it's meant for adults who like escapist fantasy.

Same with DJANGO. I loved it because it was the first movie I'd seen in theatres in a while with a hero who was unabashedly heroic.
Back to top Go down
http://goldenagebat.blogspot.com
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? the 8th   Last Movie You Watched? the 8th - Page 20 EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 1:37 am

"Unabashedly heroic" is not how I would describe the protagonists of DJANGO UNCHAINED.
Back to top Go down
Fairbairn-Sykes
Head of Station
Head of Station
Fairbairn-Sykes

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? the 8th   Last Movie You Watched? the 8th - Page 20 EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 1:43 am

Harmsway wrote:
"Unabashedly heroic" is not how I would describe the protagonists of DJANGO UNCHAINED.

Django himself. He commits heroic acts and he makes no complaints about it. He doesn't apologize for destroying evil. I mean the film itself is almost didactically obvious in its heroic imagery -- he quite literally journeys to the evil castle, defeats the dragon and rescues the girl. And he doesn't view doing good as some terrible burden. He just does it, effectively and with style and panache.

We may be coming at this with differing ideas of what is heroic, however. Certainly Django isn't heroic in a Christian sense.
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? the 8th   Last Movie You Watched? the 8th - Page 20 EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 12:54 pm

Erica Ambler wrote:
Lose the war and you get US aid.

Win it and America takes your empire and all your gold.

Makes perfect sense to me.

Post-war Germany got the same benefits as the rest of continental Europe.
Surely it made little sense to impose economic measures when that had proven such a counterproductive measure post Great War?
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? the 8th   Last Movie You Watched? the 8th - Page 20 EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 1:02 pm

Erica Ambler wrote:
FieldsMan wrote:
Erica Ambler wrote:
Fieldsman and the children think IB and Django are factually accurate. Never underestimate the masses.

No, I don't think IB and Django are factually accurate. Good try though!

;)

I think a basic problem with IB is that unless one has some knowledge of the Second World War, the American soldiers behave a damn sight worse than the Nazis.

They do? :shock:

The Nazis execute unarmed civilians in the very first scene of the movie.
All of the Apaches' victims are German soldiers.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? the 8th   Last Movie You Watched? the 8th - Page 20 EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 2:19 pm

Salomé wrote:
Erica Ambler wrote:

They do? :shock:

The Nazis execute unarmed civilians in the very first scene of the movie.
All of the Apaches' victims are German soldiers.

Perhaps I saw the NPD edit.

Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? the 8th   Last Movie You Watched? the 8th - Page 20 EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 2:34 pm

A more frequently heard criticism of IB is that it tries to be so many things at the same time that it ends up being none of them. This is certainly true to a certain extent. I have only seen the movie twice, and I suspect it's not a movie that holds up to repeated viewings. It's made to be experienced once.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? the 8th   Last Movie You Watched? the 8th - Page 20 EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 2:43 pm

Perhaps, but it seems I must experience it twice. :)
Back to top Go down
lachesis
Head of Station
Head of Station
lachesis

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? the 8th   Last Movie You Watched? the 8th - Page 20 EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 3:26 pm

Salomé wrote:
A more frequently heard criticism of IB is that it tries to be so many things at the same time that it ends up being none of them. This is certainly true to a certain extent. I have only seen the movie twice, and I suspect it's not a movie that holds up to repeated viewings. It's made to be experienced once.

Once was enough for me, the subject matter I can accept as fantasy but the whole thing was so self conscious, over embellished and infantile I really could not find anything to enjoy but thats Tarrantino all over imho.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? the 8th   Last Movie You Watched? the 8th - Page 20 EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 3:30 pm

If only I had written that a page back. Infantile sums it up very well for me, and indeed most of 21st century filmmaking. It continues to fascinate me that filmmaking had declined so severely while just the opposite has happened in television. That's another thread I suppose.

Watching Looper tonight though I have low expectations.
Back to top Go down
Fairbairn-Sykes
Head of Station
Head of Station
Fairbairn-Sykes

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? the 8th   Last Movie You Watched? the 8th - Page 20 EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 5:44 pm

Looper is awful. I wanted my money back after seeing it. Great set-up, decent first act. Then it goes off the rails in Act 2 and never recovers, spiralling into a terrible ending.
Back to top Go down
lachesis
Head of Station
Head of Station
lachesis

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? the 8th   Last Movie You Watched? the 8th - Page 20 EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 6:28 pm

Fairbairn-Sykes wrote:
Looper is awful. I wanted my money back after seeing it. Great set-up, decent first act. Then it goes off the rails in Act 2 and never recovers, spiralling into a terrible ending.

I wouldn't quite go so far as to call it awful, well not absolutely awful anyways, the initial set up was intriguing and had potential but I certainly agree the second half seemed to belong to a whole different movie and really let the whole thing down, it also suffers the predominant curse of modern movies - failing to show me anyone I give a rats ass for.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? the 8th   Last Movie You Watched? the 8th - Page 20 EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 7:06 pm

Trance - hmm, a second viewing/reading of its Wiki entry is probably required for me to make proper sense of exactly what was going on.

On the upside, it had nekkid Rosario Dawson :*e*: .
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? the 8th   Last Movie You Watched? the 8th - Page 20 EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 7:07 pm

Fairbairn-Sykes wrote:

I would tend to agree.
Have you seen "Brick"? It's much better and it lead me to believe that "Looper" would be something special.
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? the 8th   Last Movie You Watched? the 8th - Page 20 EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 7:08 pm

Erica Ambler wrote:
If only I had written that a page back. Infantile sums it up very well for me, and indeed most of 21st century filmmaking. It continues to fascinate me that filmmaking had declined so severely while just the opposite has happened in television. That's another thread I suppose.

Watching Looper tonight though I have low expectations.

I suspect you might still be disappointed...
Back to top Go down
HJackson
'R'
'R'
HJackson

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? the 8th   Last Movie You Watched? the 8th - Page 20 EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 7:59 pm

I enjoyed Looper a great deal more than Brick. More focused, better sense of tone.
Back to top Go down
Fairbairn-Sykes
Head of Station
Head of Station
Fairbairn-Sykes

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? the 8th   Last Movie You Watched? the 8th - Page 20 EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 8:16 pm

Never seen "Brick". My favourite time travel movie is "Primer", but that's really an entirely other genre than Looper which is basically Terminator Meets The Omen.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? the 8th   Last Movie You Watched? the 8th - Page 20 EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 8:20 pm

Odette

like Carve Her Name With Pride telling the true heroic life of a female SOE agent, Odette Samson who was caught and imprisoned in Ravensbruck Concentration Camp by the Germans. Has a realistic look to it, filmed on location and in buildings as opposed to obvious sets. Needless to say it depicts Ravensbruck starkly though obviously not in the detail a film made now would go to. I suppose Anna Neagle looks far too nourished for someone that spent over a year in a concentration camp.
She did however resist Nazi interrogation, as did her husband Peter Churchill (who claimed to be a relative of Winston to avoid instant execution as a spy).
Turns out the director Herbert Wilcox was married to Neagle, which explains I'd imagine the many, many films she did that he directed.

Whatever inaccuracies this film has it struck me as a time when films were films. They had a certain look, certain feel and not all were good (Odette though was the fourth most popular British film in 1950).

Some of the joy found here is Trevor Howard (if only he'd been in a Bond film) and Bernard Lee as well as Peter Ustinov.

Howard can be found in a delightful exchange with his commandant when taken prisoner.

Commandant: "This is more serious than playing ice hockey or knocking policeman's helmets off at Oxford."
Churchill: "Cambridge if you don't mind."
Commandant: "What?"
Churchill: "Cambridge actually."
Commandant: "What does it matter, Oxford or Cambridge?"
Churchill: "Oh but it does you know."
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? the 8th   Last Movie You Watched? the 8th - Page 20 EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 9:43 pm

HJackson wrote:
I enjoyed Looper a great deal more than Brick. More focused, better sense of tone.

I believe one's appraisal of "Brick" might be very much colored by how much the person in question loves film noir, and how accepting they are of a transposition of the genre to a high school setting.
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? the 8th   Last Movie You Watched? the 8th - Page 20 EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 9:45 pm

Fairbairn-Sykes wrote:
Never seen "Brick". My favourite time travel movie is "Primer", but that's really an entirely other genre than Looper which is basically Terminator Meets The Omen.

"Primer" is the ultra-low-budget one about the engineers who turn a hobby project into a functioning time travel device, right?
Back to top Go down
Fairbairn-Sykes
Head of Station
Head of Station
Fairbairn-Sykes

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? the 8th   Last Movie You Watched? the 8th - Page 20 EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 10:21 pm

Thats the one.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? the 8th   Last Movie You Watched? the 8th - Page 20 EmptyWed Apr 10, 2013 9:09 pm

An American in Paris (1951)

Tried watching this, I just couldn't finish. It's just like every other Hollywood musical ever made. Boy meets girl, boy sings about girl, some character gets his own sequence that has nothing to do with the rest of the movie but was added because he had enough clout with friends in the studio to get his demand, HEY TAP DANCING TIME, boy gets sad and feels rejected, oh but she DOES love him after all, happy ending! Puke. The only reason I watched this was because it was a Best Picture winner, and I'm trying to watch them all.

The only musical I ever truly enjoyed was Singin' in the Rain many many years ago, and I suspect that might been because it was about Hollywood and I tend to be a sucker for movies that rip on Hollywood.
Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? the 8th   Last Movie You Watched? the 8th - Page 20 EmptyWed Apr 10, 2013 9:17 pm

Try The Umbrellas of Cherbourg. Converted me.
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? the 8th   Last Movie You Watched? the 8th - Page 20 EmptyThu Apr 11, 2013 5:54 am

Python wrote:
An American in Paris (1951)

Tried watching this, I just couldn't finish. It's just like every other Hollywood musical ever made. Boy meets girl, boy sings about girl, some character gets his own sequence that has nothing to do with the rest of the movie but was added because he had enough clout with friends in the studio to get his demand, HEY TAP DANCING TIME, boy gets sad and feels rejected, oh but she DOES love him after all, happy ending! Puke. The only reason I watched this was because it was a Best Picture winner, and I'm trying to watch them all.

The only musical I ever truly enjoyed was Singin' in the Rain many many years ago, and I suspect that might been because it was about Hollywood and I tend to be a sucker for movies that rip on Hollywood.

I dunno, I enjoyed it okay. There is a sequence near the end that is fantastic.

Well, I watched a couple flicks tonight. FARGO on lovely Blu-ray, and I finally watched KILLER JOE. They make for a nice double feature.

How good is KILLER JOE? I really couldn't say, but I enjoyed the hell out of it. I wouldn't call it a 10, but it's up there. McConaughey is excellent. I really like it as a lurid black comedy noir. If nothing else, the film taps into a lot of things that I like. I wasn't phased or horrified by much of it. In fact, I was laughing at the fried chicken phalacio.

Nice to see Gina Gershon back in action too, even if she's seen better days.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? the 8th   Last Movie You Watched? the 8th - Page 20 EmptyThu Apr 11, 2013 7:33 am

Watching GONE WITH THE WIND. Never seen it before. 10 minutes in. It's a great looking movie so far, I'll give it that, but the sentimental look back at this era is just rubbing me the wrong way, particularly slavery being something to look back at fondly. That was the kind of bullshit I said in another thread that would be more damaging than DJANGO UNCHAINED's portrayal of slavery. I'll at least try to finish this, it's not a musical at least, but dammit it's over 3 and a half hours.
Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? the 8th   Last Movie You Watched? the 8th - Page 20 Empty

Back to top Go down

Last Movie You Watched? the 8th
Page 20 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 30 ... 40  Next