More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Ian Fleming as Major Dexter Smythe in 'Octopussy'?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Anonymous

Ian Fleming as Major Dexter Smythe in 'Octopussy'? Empty
PostSubject: Ian Fleming as Major Dexter Smythe in 'Octopussy'?   Ian Fleming as Major Dexter Smythe in 'Octopussy'? EmptySat Feb 02, 2013 8:11 pm

I know well that many of you here will know of the thesis put forward by some writers that 'Octopussy' is considered in some ways a suicide note from Ian Fleming. It is very self-referential and as part of my blog writing, I intend to write a substantial piece on this overlooked area of Bondology. In many ways 'Octopussy' is a sort of later 'Quatum of Solace' or 'The Hildebrand Rarity' from For Your Eyes Only (1960). Smythe and Fleming are the same age at the time of writing (1962) - it is a story of betrayal, deceit, murder, illicit gold dealings and tropical sealife like scorpion fishes and octopi. It combines WWII memories for Fleming - his 30 AU 'Red Indians' especially - about which a new book appeared last year - Rankin's Ian Fleming's Commandos - he also has an interesting view on 'Octopussy' and its basic meaning. It is a story laden with sutextual meaning and I think it's high time these hiddeen qualities of this late gem from the pen of Fleming was reappraised.

I'd love to hear your views on this short story where again (after QoS), Bond has such a very minor role.
Back to top Go down

Ian Fleming as Major Dexter Smythe in 'Octopussy'?
Page 1 of 1