These forums may contain mild adult content and are not associated with EON, Sony or any other companies and do not reflect their views.

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Mr Big/Dr Kananga in LALD - his disguise/villainy etc.?

Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Mr Big/Dr Kananga in LALD - his disguise/villainy etc.?    Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:13 am

Does anyone else here on BaB feel that Mr Big/Dr Kananga is a rather wasted character as the main villain in LALD - he doesn't really seem to get very much screentime, I feel. His death was an absolute joke - as many of the Guy Hamilton Bonds were - DAF and TMWTGG also had poor villain death scenes - only GF packed any punch.

John Brosnan made the comment that the make-up job on Mr Big was very bad - he looked more white than black as Yaphet Kotto interfered in the make-up, wantuing someopne else to do it (badly). Kotto was park of the Black Pride movement and he was clearly prickly and difficult on set. The 'reveal' that Mr Big and Dr Kananga wasn't really a very big surprise - even though it did set up a great 'Tales o9f the Unexpected' moment - along with the titles sequences evocation of Voodoo.

What are our thoughts here on the duality of Big and Kananga - would it have been better if Kotto had only played one of these characters - such as Kananga alone? I think this would have been the better option as Big looked quite unreal to me.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this one...
Back to top Go down
Walecs
Senior Correspondent

PostSubject: Re: Mr Big/Dr Kananga in LALD - his disguise/villainy etc.?    Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:12 am

SILHOUETTE MAN wrote:
Does anyone else here on BaB feel that Mr Big/Dr Kananga is a rather wasted character as the main villain in LALD - he doesn't really seem to get very much screentime, I feel. His death was an absolute joke - as many of the Guy Hamilton Bonds were - DAF and TMWTGG also had poor villain death scenes - only GF packed any punch.

John Brosnan made the comment that the make-up job on Mr Big was very bad - he looked more white than black as Yaphet Kotto interfered in the make-up, wantuing someopne else to do it (badly). Kotto was park of the Black Pride movement and he was clearly prickly and difficult on set. The 'reveal' that Mr Big and Dr Kananga wasn't really a very big surprise - even though it did set up a great 'Tales o9f the Unexpected' moment - along with the titles sequences evocation of Voodoo.

What are our thoughts here on the duality of Big and Kananga - would it have been better if Kotto had only played one of these characters - such as Kananga alone? I think this would have been the better option as Big looked quite unreal to me.

I like Scaramanga's death, while Blofeld's in DAF isn't very clear, to be honest.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: s   Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:16 am

Walecs wrote:
SILHOUETTE MAN wrote:

I like Scaramanga's death, while Blofeld's in DAF isn't very clear, to be honest.

Nope. No real reason to believe Blofeld died. And I thought the confrontation between Scaramanga and Bond was perfectly fine.
Back to top Go down
Fairbairn-Sykes
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Mr Big/Dr Kananga in LALD - his disguise/villainy etc.?    Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:24 am

LALD overall is just all over the place. It's integrating things from the book, while trying to introduce Roger Moore's Bond, while trying to be a blaxploitation flick, while trying to up the camp/comedy schtick from DAF.
Back to top Go down
http://goldenagebat.blogspot.com

PostSubject: Re: Mr Big/Dr Kananga in LALD - his disguise/villainy etc.?    Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:43 am

Fairbairn-Sykes wrote:
LALD overall is just all over the place. It's integrating things from the book, while trying to introduce Roger Moore's Bond, while trying to be a blaxploitation flick, while trying to up the camp/comedy schtick from DAF.

Yes, I'd say that's a pretty fair appraisal of its weaknesses - too like the God-awful DAF!
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark

PostSubject: Re: Mr Big/Dr Kananga in LALD - his disguise/villainy etc.?    Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:02 am

DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER is first-rate Bond. Took me a decade of puberty to fully appreciate it.
Back to top Go down
CJB
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Mr Big/Dr Kananga in LALD - his disguise/villainy etc.?    Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:00 pm

^ Indeed.

I always thought DAF was watchable, but campy nonsense on the whole. It's only in recent years that I've come to understand its brilliance.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mr Big/Dr Kananga in LALD - his disguise/villainy etc.?    Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:16 am

Can't say that I at all agree on DAF - I do agree with wjhoever said that it was about the worst piece of stuff/junk that the Bond producers ever assembled, though. A pretty fair and accurate aoppraisal, I'd say!
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark

PostSubject: Re: Mr Big/Dr Kananga in LALD - his disguise/villainy etc.?    Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:21 am

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mr Big/Dr Kananga in LALD - his disguise/villainy etc.?    Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:39 am

Largo's Shark wrote:
For whoever said that.

I read it in a recent biography of Sean Connery by Christopher Bray - he did in fact say that, it remains true!

Last edited by SILHOUETTE MAN on Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark

PostSubject: Re: Mr Big/Dr Kananga in LALD - his disguise/villainy etc.?    Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:40 am

SILHOUETTE MAN wrote:
Largo's Shark wrote:
For whoever said that.

I read it in a recent biography of Sean Connery by Christopher Bray - it remains true!

Must have had a sense of 'umour bypass.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mr Big/Dr Kananga in LALD - his disguise/villainy etc.?    Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:47 am

Largo's Shark wrote:
SILHOUETTE MAN wrote:
Largo's Shark wrote:
For whoever said that.

I read it in a recent biography of Sean Connery by Christopher Bray - it remains true!

Or maybe he's just a Fleming purist who goes to see a Carry On film if he's looking for humour...
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark

PostSubject: Re: Mr Big/Dr Kananga in LALD - his disguise/villainy etc.?    Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:53 am

SILHOUETTE MAN wrote:
Largo's Shark wrote:
SILHOUETTE MAN wrote:
Largo's Shark wrote:
For whoever said that.

Or maybe he's just a Fleming purist who goes to see a Carry On film if he's looking for humour...

Oftentimes Fleming purists can't see the wood from their own arsehole, hence the adulation of LTK. Few Bond films capture Fleming's sense of macabre, bizarre, and wry, offbeat sense of humour as well as DAF.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mr Big/Dr Kananga in LALD - his disguise/villainy etc.?    Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:56 am

Largo's Shark wrote:
SILHOUETTE MAN wrote:
Largo's Shark wrote:
SILHOUETTE MAN wrote:
Largo's Shark wrote:
For whoever said that.

Oftentimes Fleming purists can't see the wood from their own arsehole, hence the adulation of LTK. Few Bond films capture Fleming's sense of macabre, bizarre, and wry, offbeat sense of humour as well as DAF.

Yes, but look at YOLT film and novel to see the two diveregences between the Bond novels and Bond films.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark

PostSubject: Re: Mr Big/Dr Kananga in LALD - his disguise/villainy etc.?    Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:59 am

SILHOUETTE MAN wrote:
Largo's Shark wrote:
SILHOUETTE MAN wrote:
Largo's Shark wrote:
SILHOUETTE MAN wrote:
Largo's Shark wrote:
For whoever said that.

Yes, but look at YOLT film and novel to see the two diveregences between the Bond novels and Bond films.

In story perhaps, but not in tone.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mr Big/Dr Kananga in LALD - his disguise/villainy etc.?    Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:07 am

Largo's Shark wrote:
SILHOUETTE MAN wrote:
Largo's Shark wrote:
SILHOUETTE MAN wrote:
Largo's Shark wrote:
SILHOUETTE MAN wrote:
Largo's Shark wrote:
For whoever said that.

In story perhaps, but not in tone.

Well, those sort of subtleties often pass one by....
Back to top Go down
FieldsMan
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Mr Big/Dr Kananga in LALD - his disguise/villainy etc.?    Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:00 am

Largo's Shark wrote:
SILHOUETTE MAN wrote:
Largo's Shark wrote:
SILHOUETTE MAN wrote:
Largo's Shark wrote:
For whoever said that.

But many other Bond films have the ability to set up and develop an interesting story - like Fleming did - whilst including that sense of macabre, bizarre, wry and offbeat sense of humour - though maybe not to the extent of DAF, which I think overcompensates in that department for the sake of sacrificing substance.

And two more notes: While I find DAF entertaining, I feel that it's a loosely connected story. And Fleming's DAF novel itself is much better than the film.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark

PostSubject: Re: Mr Big/Dr Kananga in LALD - his disguise/villainy etc.?    Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:09 am

Most of the Fleming novels, with the exception of maybe GOLDFINGER, are better than their film counterparts.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Mr Big/Dr Kananga in LALD - his disguise/villainy etc.?    Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:59 am

DAF, both the film and the novel, are severely underrated.
Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Senior Correspondent

PostSubject: Re: Mr Big/Dr Kananga in LALD - his disguise/villainy etc.?    Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:51 am

The DAF novel was great but Fleming's weakest of the original run. The film is a similarly messy narrative that gains some strength from it's defects.

Kotto is great in LALD, and it's his performance that makes the villain memorable-from exuding menace to his overly charming monologues. In ways this is reminiscent of Fleming's creation. One of the best villains in the series.
Back to top Go down
FieldsMan
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Mr Big/Dr Kananga in LALD - his disguise/villainy etc.?    Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:55 pm

Anyone else think that Silva in SF bought his clothes from the same shop as Kananga/Mr Big?

Back to top Go down
CJB
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Mr Big/Dr Kananga in LALD - his disguise/villainy etc.?    Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:57 pm

His fashion sense is what really prompted M to hand him over to the Chinese.
Back to top Go down
Control
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Mr Big/Dr Kananga in LALD - his disguise/villainy etc.?    Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:37 am

Silva's clothing, at least during his introduction, fits with the "old ways" motif of SKYFALL. From there to the end, his style seems to evolve to something a bit more modern. Just another interesting detail of the film, possibly suggesting that a little more thought went into creating that Bond adventure, in contrast to the past two Craig flicks.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Mr Big/Dr Kananga in LALD - his disguise/villainy etc.?    Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:30 am

'80s-throwback', prison overalls, policeman's uniform and modern combat-esque gear are all of Silva's 'looks' in Skyfall, if memory serves.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mr Big/Dr Kananga in LALD - his disguise/villainy etc.?    

Back to top Go down

Mr Big/Dr Kananga in LALD - his disguise/villainy etc.?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bond And Beyond :: Bond :: The Bond Films: Reviews, Ratings & Discussion :: Live And Let Die (1973)-
Jump to: