These forums may contain mild adult content and are not associated with EON, Sony or any other companies and do not reflect their views.

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

There's something about that The Man with the Golden Gun!

Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: There's something about that The Man with the Golden Gun!    Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:43 am

Do you feel as I do that, despite terrible press and reviews over the years since the release of The Man with the Golden Gun (1974) over the years, it still has something about it that is special - it is very different in style and themes from many of the James Bond films that either preceded it or indeed followed it. There are the elements of the serial killer plot strand - Bond sent the 'calling card' of the OO7 engraved golden bullet, the light-007 versus the dark-007, the topicality of the 'energy crisis' plot, the transfoermation of Scaramanga from thug in the novel to a darker version of James Bond, the Flemingesque dialogue in the M-Bonsd briefing scene, the boxing match scene, the Scaramanga-Bond speeches at the dinner table etc.

This is a very Flemingesque film, and I think it is Moore's best James Bond performance after that in FYEO. It's a much better film that the bloated LALD that preceded it and the stunt-laden TSWLM and MR that followed it. Yet, despite all of these great elements - the welcome focus on Bond's character (odd in a Moore-Bond film) there's very little love for this film in the James Bond fan community. Roger Moore was just the optimum age for Bond here - after this he began to look increasingly too old for the part of the suave and sophisticated secret agent OO7.

It has some poor elements too - the way that (like in DAF) Bond's mission and the Scaramangs hunt are in fact linked is pretty hard to swallow, the end fight is poor - much of the good stuff involving Molotiov cocktails etc. left on the cutting-room floor etc. and the scenes in Hai Fat's 'school' feel like padding, as does the canal chase on klongs. Sheriff J.W. Pepper was also a great mistake - just like Mrs Bell in LALD.

I'd really love to hear your views on this overlooked flawed gem of a film - perhaps ambergrist rather than 24-carat gold...?
Back to top Go down
j7wild
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: There's something about that The Man with the Golden Gun!    Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:26 am

I re-watched this a couple of months ago.

For being made in the 70's, free love and all, the screenwriters should had written the Andrea and Mary with Bond in the Hotel room dilemma scene with a better execution.

After all, it's only logical.

Miss Anders wants Bond.

Miss Goodnight wants Bond too.

Why lock poor Miss Goodnight in the closet and just have a 1 on 1?

Why deprive Bond of a beautiful threesome with Miss Anders and Miss Goodnight?

Hey!

If any of you MI-6 Blokes were in Bond's situation, wouldn't you too want to have a Ménage à trois with Miss Anders and Miss Goodnight?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: There's something about that The Man with the Golden Gun!    Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:27 am

j7wild wrote:
I re-watched this a couple of months ago.

For being made in the 70's, free love and all, the screenwriters should had written the Andrea and Mary with Bond in the Hotel room dilemma scene with a better execution.

After all, it's only logical.

Miss Anders wants Bond.

Miss Goodnight wants Bond too.

Why lock poor Miss Goodnight in the closet and just have a 1 on 1?

Why deprive Bond of a beautiful threesome with Miss Anders and Miss Goodnight?

Hey!

If any of you MI-6 Blokes were in Bond's situation, wouldn't you too want to have a Ménage à trois with Miss Anders and Miss Goodnight?

Now there's a post you would NOT see on CBn for too long! I don't think that this would have got past the censors, really!

I think that one belongs in the 'sin bin' of the Adult Content section here on BaB. Nice idea, anyway!
Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Senior Correspondent

PostSubject: Re: There's something about that The Man with the Golden Gun!    Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:02 am

YES!!!!!!!

Yes it may go too far in aping martial arts films, yes the overall plot never fully reached the promise of Lee vs. Moore, but it is an unforgettable joy. This was my second Bond film, and I've never forgotten its peculiar blend of humor, elegance, raunchiness and Hong Kong inspired feel.

I think Lee surpasses himself, the one liners are some of the best ever penned, Roger is spot-on as a pissed off 007, the idea of the world's greatest assassin wanting to kill Bond but revealed to actually be a big fan and it is actually his lover who wants 007 to kill him is pure Maibaum genius, Nick Nack is perhaps the greatest henchman ever, the Eastern locale is fantastic, Barry's rushed score is brilliant and much more.

Goodnight as a buffoon is terribly bad and should have been excised. But at least she's consistent. He bum is a dumb as her brain. tongue
The JW Pepper-on-vacation idea is far too convenient, but I always enjoy the reversal of roles in the Hornet.

The funhouse and the island lair is one of the most memorable Bond locations.

I love this movie. I love it's gritty raunchiness, its slight distaste reflected in Roger being consistently pissed off, Maibaum plotting mixed with Mankewicz wit, Herve's sadistic grins, Lee having a ball being without cape and fangs and much more,

I may be small but I never forget!!

Is there any truth to the rumors of the Broccoli-Saltzman partnership being so strained at this time that LALD was essentially produced by Harry and TMWTGG being done by Cubby? I can't remember exactly where I once read of this.
Back to top Go down
lachesis
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: There's something about that The Man with the Golden Gun!    Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:30 am

I think the 'Everything or Nothing' documentary suggests the mood behind this production was particularly sour. Saltzman faced growing debt issues due to the drain of his extraneous projects, which Broccoli apparently resented for the distraction they were from Bond. It is also notable that Roger himself points to his relief when TSWLM finally allows him 'to be himself' as Bond (or words to that effect). TMWTGG appears something of a meltdown for the series.

Certainly for me this all tends to make itself apparent on screen and TMWTGG is the only Bond I can't enjoy. Christopher Lee is terrific but he's all alone amid a production that seems to undermine it's every asset, the feature stunt a prime example of how squander everyone's best efforts.
Back to top Go down
Tubes
Senior Correspondent

PostSubject: Re: There's something about that The Man with the Golden Gun!    Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:36 am

I found TMWTGG a vain attempt to recapture the popularity and magic of LALD. It just reeked of rehash to me.

To it's credit, TMWTGG is a unique, identifiable entry in the series, characteristic of the Saltzman era. When he left, Bond lost some of it's charm and became more homogenous and generic as Cubby continued on.
Back to top Go down
bitchcraft
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Location : I don't know what things will be like in 2 years. I don't have 2020 vision.

PostSubject: Re: There's something about that The Man with the Golden Gun!    Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:24 pm

There were only 2 things I didn't like about TMWTGG

1. Those absolutely daft kung-fu sequences;
2. Nick Nack / Hervé Villechaize.

The storyline otherwise was quite original and thrilling...

Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: There's something about that The Man with the Golden Gun!    Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:45 pm

I thought the bit at the kung fu school was great until Hip's little sisters crashed the party.
Back to top Go down
AMC Hornet
Senior Correspondent

PostSubject: Re: There's something about that The Man with the Golden Gun!    Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:31 pm

Can you guess how I feel about it?

The kung fu sequence is a time capsule (Carl Douglas' song was on the air at the same time as the film was in cinemas).

I had been to Hong Kong and Thailand just a couple of years earlier, so the scenery was a treat - and by that I mean both the background and the asian girls in the foreground.

Moore vs Lee - hell yeah!

Love that car chase - although I found out later to my chagrin just what junk AMC produced.

Sure it's not a spectacle, but it is still a classic.

IMCO.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: There's something about that The Man with the Golden Gun!    

Back to top Go down

There's something about that The Man with the Golden Gun!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bond And Beyond :: Bond :: The Bond Films: Reviews, Ratings & Discussion :: The Man With The Golden Gun (1974)-
Jump to: