More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

85th Academy Awards

Go down 
+16
Loomis
bitchcraft
Moore
Makeshift Python
Control
j7wild
CJB
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Richard Hannay
retrokitty
The White Tuxedo
Hilly
Tubes
dr. strangelove
Gravity's Silhouette
Largo's Shark
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 17 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
AuthorMessage
Loomis
Head of Station
Head of Station
Loomis

85th Academy Awards - Page 32 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 85th Academy Awards   85th Academy Awards - Page 32 EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 4:35 pm

Largo's Shark wrote:
Loomis wrote:
PI beats the living daylights out of SKYFALL in terms of cinematography, and it's also a vastly better film. Congratulations to Ang Lee for his well-deserved Best Director win.

Bollocks. LIFE OF PI is a banal, corny, dull, PC, unimaginative, literal-minded effects-fest based on one of the most overrated novels of the 21st century. It's the type of pre-packaged awe and wonder that Spielberg's detractors say about him. A new age SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE (with a slice of AVATAR plus a veneer of art-house cinema), and will probably be a pub quiz trivia question in a decade.

SKYFALL is far more nuanced, richer, warmer, wittier and more cinematic film, and its Oscar snubbing speaks volumes about where the industry's artistic values lie.

Nothing new here.

You've seen LIFE OF PI, then?

I'm only interested in the opinions of people who've actually watched the film.
Back to top Go down
Loomis
Head of Station
Head of Station
Loomis

PostSubject: Re: 85th Academy Awards   85th Academy Awards - Page 32 EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 4:37 pm

And, just to underline that last point:

I'm only interested in the opinions of people who've actually watched the film.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: 85th Academy Awards   85th Academy Awards - Page 32 EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 5:13 pm

Loomis wrote:
Largo's Shark wrote:
Loomis wrote:
PI beats the living daylights out of SKYFALL in terms of cinematography, and it's also a vastly better film. Congratulations to Ang Lee for his well-deserved Best Director win.

Bollocks. LIFE OF PI is a banal, corny, dull, PC, unimaginative, literal-minded effects-fest based on one of the most overrated novels of the 21st century. It's the type of pre-packaged awe and wonder that Spielberg's detractors say about him. A new age SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE (with a slice of AVATAR plus a veneer of art-house cinema), and will probably be a pub quiz trivia question in a decade.

SKYFALL is far more nuanced, richer, warmer, wittier and more cinematic film, and its Oscar snubbing speaks volumes about where the industry's artistic values lie.

Nothing new here.

You've seen LIFE OF PI, then?

I caught it in January.
Back to top Go down
Loomis
Head of Station
Head of Station
Loomis

PostSubject: Re: 85th Academy Awards   85th Academy Awards - Page 32 EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 5:18 pm

Fair enough. At least you saw it prior to pronouncing a verdict on it.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: 85th Academy Awards   85th Academy Awards - Page 32 EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 5:19 pm

You know people who haven't?
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: 85th Academy Awards   85th Academy Awards - Page 32 EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 7:25 pm

Sort of miffed about Williams though I've not heard the Pi soundtrack. Thought it was good to see Plummer even if he came on stage to Sound of Music and God knows what Kristen Stewart was on. That seems to be the future of Hollywood.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
Gravity's Silhouette
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Gravity's Silhouette

PostSubject: Re: 85th Academy Awards   85th Academy Awards - Page 32 EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 8:15 pm

It took me 20 minutes in my DVR to plow through what was a 3.5 hour Hollywood wank-a-thon. Hollywood takes itself way too seriously. What other industry televises its own awards show? Maybe the ESPYs...but that's about it. Give me Super Bowl or give me death!
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: 85th Academy Awards   85th Academy Awards - Page 32 EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 8:18 pm

Looking at the other thread I got half of my guesses right. Thereabouts.

As sure as McFarlane got attacked by Clooney/Affleck afterwards
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Gravity's Silhouette

PostSubject: Re: 85th Academy Awards   85th Academy Awards - Page 32 EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 8:28 pm

Hilly wrote:
McFarlane got attacked by Clooney/Affleck afterwards

Which is exactly why I said H'wood takes itself too seriously. These people live or die by this stuff; I could not possibly have cared less about who wore what dress, or who won an Oscar, or what the politics and deep thoughts are of these "winners". So what if McFarlane referenced Gigli? If anything, it helps remind people how far Affleck has come.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: 85th Academy Awards   85th Academy Awards - Page 32 EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 8:29 pm

Gravity's Silhouette wrote:
Hilly wrote:
McFarlane got attacked by Clooney/Affleck afterwards

Which is exactly why I said H'wood takes itself too seriously. These people live or die by this stuff; I could not possibly have cared less about who wore what dress, or who won an Oscar, or what the politics and deep thoughts are of these "winners". So what if McFarlane referenced Gigli? If anything, it helps remind people how far Affleck has come.

Somebody on our 5Live radio coverage said to Affleck on the red carpet about the Gigli to Argo thing and Affleck tried to laugh it off with Clooney making a joke of getting the reporter later. I think with Clooney he can take things on the chin. Affleck just looked pissed after the Kardashian joke.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: 85th Academy Awards   85th Academy Awards - Page 32 EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 8:41 pm

Oops...

http://shine.yahoo.com/fashion/not-just-another-sexist-night-at-the-oscars--nope--this-one-took-the-cake--thanks-to-host-seth-macfarlance--155352960.html

Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: 85th Academy Awards   85th Academy Awards - Page 32 EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 8:49 pm

Python wrote:
Oops...

http://shine.yahoo.com/fashion/not-just-another-sexist-night-at-the-oscars--nope--this-one-took-the-cake--thanks-to-host-seth-macfarlance--155352960.html

Couldn't agree more with the writer.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: 85th Academy Awards   85th Academy Awards - Page 32 EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 8:56 pm

that quote that said he "literally made a joke". Of course he literally did. Literally.
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Gravity's Silhouette

PostSubject: Re: 85th Academy Awards   85th Academy Awards - Page 32 EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 9:00 pm

Largo's Shark wrote:
Python wrote:
Oops...

Could not agree less with the writer.

McFarlane is not my cup o'tea (I only watch AMERICAN DAD, not his other shows, and even that show is sometimes too shocking and brazen even for me). But he is what he is. How can a joke about Chris Brown and Rhianna be off limits? Don't give me that "domestic abuse is never funny" crap....there can't be enough negative things said about that relationship; it's wrong and it sends a terrible message to men and women.

But I digress.....Hollywood makes a ton of money being insensitive towards whites, males, Christians, heterosexuals, Southerners, conservatives, Republicans....I refuse to feel sorry for even one of them when one of their own turns his attacks on them. Maybe some of these whining crybabies now know how it feels.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: 85th Academy Awards   85th Academy Awards - Page 32 EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 9:13 pm

Gravity's Silhouette wrote:
Largo's Shark wrote:
Python wrote:
Oops...

Could not agree less with the writer.

McFarlane is not my cup o'tea (I only watch AMERICAN DAD, not his other shows, and even that show is sometimes too shocking and brazen even for me). But he is what he is. How can a joke about Chris Brown and Rhianna be off limits? Don't give me that "domestic abuse is never funny" crap....there can't be enough negative things said about that relationship; it's wrong and it sends a terrible message to men and women.

Don't get me wrong. I'd love to have a genuinely edgy and offensive host take the piss out of Hollywood - someone with good comic timing and wit - i.e. Frankie Boyle. The difference is that Seth MacFarlane is a half-arsed lightweight. To quote the article - "The Oscar host's 'fake edginess,' as Kornhaber put it, is the backbone of MacFarlane's humor. It's designed to disqualify those who get offended." They're all crass, cheap, throwaway, laboured jokes - you can see the lame SOUND OF MUSIC one coming from a mile off. I knew it would be downhill since that shitty "We Saw Your Boobs" number. Not because it's sexist, but because it's 12 year old humour.

Last edited by Largo's Shark on Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
bitchcraft
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
bitchcraft

PostSubject: Re: 85th Academy Awards   85th Academy Awards - Page 32 EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 9:25 pm

j7wild wrote:
Loomis wrote:
Why all the hatred for LIFE OF PI on here? And who on Bond and Beyond has actually seen the film?

I hate the movie because... where's that post I made about it ruining my Prometheus Experience?

Here it is, 5th post down:

https://bondandbeyond.forumotion.com/t2260p15-the-85th-academy-awards

You hate a movie just because someone showed a trailer when you didn't want it?

Come on, that's just daft.
Back to top Go down
bitchcraft
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
bitchcraft

PostSubject: Re: 85th Academy Awards   85th Academy Awards - Page 32 EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 9:27 pm

Largo's Shark wrote:
A new age SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE

Pi wasn't a slumdog, his family owned a zoo. And Richard Parker beats Freida Pinto anyday.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: 85th Academy Awards   85th Academy Awards - Page 32 EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 9:28 pm

Mrs Aural Sects wrote:
And Richard Parker beats Freida Pinto anyday.

At least Freida Pinto's fuckable.
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: 85th Academy Awards   85th Academy Awards - Page 32 EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 9:53 pm

Interesting article. Can't call a spade a spade anymore these days.

Seth's anorexia crack was pretty funny and truthful. The broads at that show should take a lesson or two from Adele.
Back to top Go down
bitchcraft
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
bitchcraft

PostSubject: Re: 85th Academy Awards   85th Academy Awards - Page 32 EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 10:29 pm

Back to top Go down
Lazenby.
Head of Station
Head of Station
Lazenby.

PostSubject: Re: 85th Academy Awards   85th Academy Awards - Page 32 EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 11:03 pm

Sh*te, missed out on our annual Oscar thread... :evil:

Didn't see the Oscars though, was busy elsewhere with the missus and whiskey.... Oh well, always next year...
Back to top Go down
bondfan06
'R'
'R'
bondfan06

PostSubject: Re: 85th Academy Awards   85th Academy Awards - Page 32 EmptyTue Feb 26, 2013 1:17 am

Not surprised at Argo winning Best Picture. I guess it shows the backstage politics of Hollywood quite well.

Skyfall should have picked up all 5 Oscars eventhough I'm not to crazy about Adele's theme song.

I thought McFarlane was a terrible host but not the worst I've seen. Too misogynistic for my liking.

Chastain and Lawrence looked both fucking great although i would have preferred the former winning Best Actress.

Back to top Go down
GeneralGogol
Q Branch
Q Branch
GeneralGogol

PostSubject: Re: 85th Academy Awards   85th Academy Awards - Page 32 EmptyTue Feb 26, 2013 3:26 pm

Once again, the film with the most effective Oscar voting campaign won. I rewatched Argo on DVD yesterday and while it's an entertaining thriller and dramatization of an operation for which the CIA can pat itself on the back, but best picture - really? In comparison, I don't think Argo holds a candle to a film like Munich. However, I find 2005 a weaker year in cinema than 2012 overall. Whatever - at least Argo beats Chicago, Crash, Shakespeare in Love, Million Dollar Baby, and Slumdog Millionaire,
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: 85th Academy Awards   85th Academy Awards - Page 32 EmptyTue Feb 26, 2013 9:48 pm

Bill Conti talks conducting the Oscars.

Go to 44 minutes and 29 seconds.
Back to top Go down
Richard Hannay
Universal Exports
Universal Exports
Richard Hannay

PostSubject: Re: 85th Academy Awards   85th Academy Awards - Page 32 EmptyTue Feb 26, 2013 10:32 pm

Seth MacFarlane will not host the Oscars again. He likened the experience to taking the Kobayashi Maru test.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 85th Academy Awards   85th Academy Awards - Page 32 Empty

Back to top Go down

85th Academy Awards
Page 32 of 33Go to page : Previous  1 ... 17 ... 31, 32, 33  Next