More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

The Film Score Thread

Go down 
+24
bondfan06
Fort Knox
saint mark
TedHeath
MBalje
Santa
lachesis
Mr. Trevelyan
Harmsway
Lazenby.
Gravity's Silhouette
trevanian
dr. strangelove
Chigawa
MOO7RE
GeneralGogol
Hilly
Drax
G section
FourDot
colly
Makeshift Python
Largo's Shark
The White Tuxedo
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 21 ... 33  Next
AuthorMessage
Anonymous

The Film Score Thread - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Film Score Thread   The Film Score Thread - Page 10 EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 7:48 pm

I've seen Source Code and can't remember a thing about the score. That excerpt hasn't convinced me that it's my memory at fault, though.

FWIW, the film is better than the very overrated Moon. However, I was sad to find that motherhood has somewhat diminished Vera Famiga's charms.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: The Film Score Thread   The Film Score Thread - Page 10 EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 7:58 pm

Avarice wrote:
I've seen Source Code and can't remember a thing about the score. That excerpt hasn't convinced me that it's my memory at fault, though.

It's the best cue in the score from what I've heard, sadly. It's got some interesting ideas, but throws too many at the listener in a short period of time. No real development.

Avarice wrote:
However, I was sad to find that motherhood has somewhat diminished Vera Famiga's charms.

Farmiga's at her best in RUNNING SCARED and THE DEPARTED (one of the very few things I like in that film). Would've been a great Ves Perlynd.
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: The Film Score Thread   The Film Score Thread - Page 10 EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 8:02 pm

I hated the score to SOURCE CODE.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: The Film Score Thread   The Film Score Thread - Page 10 EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 8:14 pm

What about it did you dislike Harms?
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: The Film Score Thread   The Film Score Thread - Page 10 EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 11:13 pm

Sharky wrote:
It's desperately derivative, and lacks a single memorable moment.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: The Film Score Thread   The Film Score Thread - Page 10 EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 11:43 pm

Harmsway wrote:
Sharky wrote:

It's desperately derivative, and lacks a single memorable moment.

Gotcha. The underscore for the helicopter shots of the train reminded me a bit of Herrmann and Barry - Minor Major 9th chords. Though that just confirms what you said, it's derivative stuff.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: The Film Score Thread   The Film Score Thread - Page 10 EmptyFri Sep 30, 2011 4:44 pm

Dug out my Episode IV CDs from 2004.

a couple of favourites from the first disc

the lift at about 1.40 to the 'Imperial' theme is one of my favourite moments.

that's effectively a fair chunk of the Revenge of the Sith soundtrack.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: The Film Score Thread   The Film Score Thread - Page 10 EmptySun Oct 02, 2011 12:04 am

Hey, I just came up with this!

Herrmann the Old Testament God
Rosza the Gypsy
North the Revolutionary
Williams the Mystic
Goldsmith the Badass

Can anyone do the rest?
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: The Film Score Thread   The Film Score Thread - Page 10 EmptySun Oct 02, 2011 12:25 am

Donaggio the Romantic
The Bleak Badalamenti
Morricone the Hard-Boiled
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: The Film Score Thread   The Film Score Thread - Page 10 EmptySun Oct 02, 2011 12:46 am

I suppose it's Horner the Hack

if you go for alliteration
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: The Film Score Thread   The Film Score Thread - Page 10 EmptySun Oct 02, 2011 12:55 am

Zimmer of the Beast...

The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: The Film Score Thread   The Film Score Thread - Page 10 EmptySun Oct 02, 2011 5:56 am

Mancini the DJ
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: The Film Score Thread   The Film Score Thread - Page 10 EmptySun Oct 02, 2011 12:30 pm

It's not a film score, but I really dig what I've heard of Andrew Hale's L.A. NOIRE soundtrack. Admittedly, it owes a lot to Goldsmith's CHINATOWN and Herrmann's TAXI DRIVER, but if you're gonna steal, steal from the best.

Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: The Film Score Thread   The Film Score Thread - Page 10 EmptySun Oct 02, 2011 5:10 pm

I'm really digging it. Lots of influence of course Herrmann and Goldsmith, but also Stravinsky, North, Hindemith, Miles etc. Very impressive.

Not as a big a find, but I'm having another go at FAR CRY 2. I still can't get past that Goddamn bridge. My hang glider trips down the valley just end up in me getting killed. Anyhow, I like Marc Canham's soundtrack. The main theme, at least...

Back to top Go down
trevanian
Head of Station
Head of Station
trevanian

PostSubject: Re: The Film Score Thread   The Film Score Thread - Page 10 EmptyMon Oct 03, 2011 1:09 am

The White Tuxedo wrote:
Mancini the DJ

Is that Pamela Susan Shoop of HALLOWEEN 2 and every Glen Larson series ever fame in your avatar?
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: The Film Score Thread   The Film Score Thread - Page 10 EmptyMon Oct 03, 2011 1:14 am

trevanian wrote:
The White Tuxedo wrote:
Mancini the DJ

Is that Pamela Susan Shoop of HALLOWEEN 2

One of the nastiest murders on celluloid. Still gives me the willies.

Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: The Film Score Thread   The Film Score Thread - Page 10 EmptyMon Oct 03, 2011 1:31 am

Since this thread is about film scoring however, I'll add that John Carpenter and Alan Howarth's nerve jangling pulses and tone clusters on the Prophet V, is the most terrifying aspect.

Last edited by Sharky on Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: The Film Score Thread   The Film Score Thread - Page 10 EmptyMon Oct 03, 2011 4:03 am

trevanian wrote:
The White Tuxedo wrote:
Mancini the DJ

Is that Pamela Susan Shoop of HALLOWEEN 2 and every Glen Larson series ever fame in your avatar?

That's Jackie Bisset.

http://www.wikifeet.com/pictures/Jacqueline-Bisset-Feet-278133.jpg

Heard the first track of LA NOIRE Harmsway posted. Owes a lot of TAXI DRIVER? More like outright theft. laugh But it sounds like good stuff. I have no interest in video games. I just wish someone would make something like that for the big screen these days. Like another pass at THE BLACK DAHLIA. I enjoy the score to that film BTW.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: The Film Score Thread   The Film Score Thread - Page 10 EmptyMon Oct 03, 2011 9:32 pm

Makeshift Python wrote:
Sharky wrote:
Makeshift Python wrote:
Fairbairn-Sykes wrote:
Yeah the Genosis Arena in ATTACK OF THE CLONES is pretty much note for note the Quidditch sequence in CHAMBER OF SECRETS.

I think that was the Coruscant chase music used in the Quidditch sequence. It was really off putting when I first watched CHAMBER.

Which bit?

It sounds like the user slowed it down but anyway it's at 4:58 being the one that stuck out for me.

Here's the CLONES clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wx_AVLQMws0#t=9m20s

This is a better one:

Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: The Film Score Thread   The Film Score Thread - Page 10 EmptyMon Oct 03, 2011 10:18 pm

Sharky wrote:
I'm really digging it. Lots of influence of course Herrmann and Goldsmith, but also Stravinsky, North, Hindemith, Miles etc. Very impressive.
Glad to see you like it too.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: The Film Score Thread   The Film Score Thread - Page 10 EmptyMon Oct 03, 2011 10:38 pm

Sharky wrote:
Makeshift Python wrote:
Sharky wrote:
Makeshift Python wrote:
Fairbairn-Sykes wrote:
Yeah the Genosis Arena in ATTACK OF THE CLONES is pretty much note for note the Quidditch sequence in CHAMBER OF SECRETS.

I think that was the Coruscant chase music used in the Quidditch sequence. It was really off putting when I first watched CHAMBER.

Which bit?

It sounds like the user slowed it down but anyway it's at 4:58 being the one that stuck out for me.

Here's the CLONES clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wx_AVLQMws0#t=9m20s

This is a better one:

Yup that's it. Can't blame anyone given how the second film was rushed right after the first film and 2002 was one of his busiest years. The extra time with the third film allowed Williams to work a much stronger score for PRISONER OF AZKABAN.

Too bad Williams didn't return after this entry, I remember watching GOBLET OF FIRE the first thing that struck me was how Williams' music was sorely missing.
Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: The Film Score Thread   The Film Score Thread - Page 10 EmptyMon Oct 03, 2011 11:18 pm

There's a rumour going round that Williams didn't actually write it, and William Ross ghost composed it. That's false. Williams wrote all of it, but Ross simply fitted it to the picture. Williams had to rush to score ATTACKS OF THE CLONES, which he in turn had to leave to score MINORITY REPORT. Hectic, alright. Apparently he deliberately left the final quarter of CLONES unscored, because he was so pissed off with how George Lucas fucked up his Battle of Naboo music from THE PHANTOM MENACE (the original music for the lightsaber duel was mostly replaced by the concert version of Duel of the Fates).

Anyhow, SECRETS is probably the weakest Williams score of the franchise, but still, the Fawkes theme is great.

Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: The Film Score Thread   The Film Score Thread - Page 10 EmptyTue Oct 04, 2011 1:24 am

Some of the first Potter score reminded me of Empire Strikes Back, 'brooding' music at the start of "Attacking a Star Destroyer" and then parts sound like Hook. Probably just assimilated too much Williams of late.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: The Film Score Thread   The Film Score Thread - Page 10 EmptyTue Oct 04, 2011 7:35 pm

Love the trumpet writing here:

Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: The Film Score Thread   The Film Score Thread - Page 10 EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 1:33 am

a couple from the so-called expanded score for Revenge of the Sith

one of my favourite versions of the Imperial theme about 1.05 to end. Lo' for a proper recording.

likewise, the last 40-odd seconds version of 'Battle of the Heroes' (Anakin and Obi-Wan taking cover from the lava)

far too much Williams of late. Presumed Innocent, Spacecamp even...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Film Score Thread   The Film Score Thread - Page 10 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Film Score Thread
Page 10 of 33Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 21 ... 33  Next