More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Australian Politics thread

Go down 
+15
Prisoner Monkeys
Control
Loomis
j7wild
saint mark
Largo's Shark
tiffanywint
Perilagu Khan
Fae
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Vesper
GeneralGogol
James. C
colly
CJB
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11 ... 16  Next
AuthorMessage
tiffanywint
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
tiffanywint

Australian Politics thread  - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Australian Politics thread    Australian Politics thread  - Page 7 EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 7:05 am

CJB wrote:
j7wild wrote:
CJB wrote:
You wouldn't want to live in Bondi, j7. Large community of you-know-whos.

who?

They don't sell much bacon in Bondi delis.

He's talking about vegetarians J7. They'll drive you nuts. 🐷
Back to top Go down
Vesper
Head of Station
Head of Station
Vesper

PostSubject: Re: Australian Politics thread    Australian Politics thread  - Page 7 EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 10:05 pm

If Rob Oakshott wants a say in who leads the Liberal Party he should run for pre-selection.

What an odious, self-important little hubristic shit he is.
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Australian Politics thread    Australian Politics thread  - Page 7 EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 10:29 pm

He wants Turnbull to lead the Libs so they can lose the next election to Rudd. Mal has already demonstrated he can't go two rounds against Kev. Abbott on the other hand has Tintin's scalp on a mantlepiece and is making room for Gingerella's (whether it's there after Monday or at the next election).

In any case the answer is nein, Turnbull cannot command a majority in the House of Reps seeing as he can't command a majority in his own party.

And Rob Oakeshott can go fuck himself. No one is gonna save him from the dole queue come the next election. Watching the smug self-satisfaction on that turd's face vanish when the numbers roll in is going to be one of election night's sweetest visual elixirs.
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Australian Politics thread    Australian Politics thread  - Page 7 EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 4:22 am

Rudd confirms what's been plainly obvious, he will stand in Monday's ballot. He also says Abbott would lead "the most right-wing government in Australian history" (the same thing Labor said about Howard, who went on to bring in more Asian immigrants than Hawke/Keating) and his views on women are "extreme". Still waiting to hear what these extreme views are.

Hope there's a camera to snap his bulbous face once the counting is done on Monday. Smug bastard.
Back to top Go down
Vesper
Head of Station
Head of Station
Vesper

PostSubject: Re: Australian Politics thread    Australian Politics thread  - Page 7 EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 4:32 am

That's what, his third press conference for the day? laugh

The problem with the Labor rhetoric against Abbott is it is mired in both the past and what they assume of his Catholic ideals. I think Joe Schmo Housewife reading the Woman's Weekly to discover that Abbott has three daughters will find it hard to imagine he's anti-women. Especially when he's proposed a paid maternity leave scheme that is better than Labor's.

Also, given an increasing number of people are starting to think that the Gillard/Rudd administration is an outright communist regime, positioning Abbott to the right of you won't do much.

Abbott isn't popular. But he isn't as scary or as uninhibited as Labor's rhetoric suggests. And that's why all this rubbish about him being Hitler in a speedo is never going to catch on in the way they want to.
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Australian Politics thread    Australian Politics thread  - Page 7 EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 5:06 am

Nothing beats this slapdown Captain Catholic gave Laurie Oakes early in his leadership:

LO: I don’t want to turn this into a religious inquisition so to speak, but I’d like to ask you one question. Do you believe in evolution?

TA: Yes, but I don’t want to turn into a religious inquisition either.

LO: That’s my only question, my only religious question.

TA: But Laurie, look you’re asking me religious questions, you’ve never asked Kevin Rudd that question, have you?

LO: No, but it’s an idea.

TA: But why not? Because I mean, Kevin Rudd’s religious views are not so different from mine. You wouldn’t ask Kristina Kinneally that question.

LO: No, but those people haven’t been nicknamed by their critics things like captain Catholics, it is something people wonder about you, and I think it’s important to clarify it.

TA: But the point I’m making Laurie is my religious views, are A, they’re personal, they’re not out there in the political market place, and they’re very similar…

LO: Except to the extent you’ve put them out there.

TA: Well I don’t do doorsteps in front of church Laurie. I mean, if there’s one person who’s put religion front and centre in the public square, to use his phrase, is Kevin Rudd, so please, next time Kevin’s here, grill him on evolution and all these other subjects.

LO: I’ll certainly ask him the question.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Australian Politics thread    Australian Politics thread  - Page 7 EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 10:57 am

CJB wrote:
his views on women are "extreme". Still waiting to hear what these extreme views are.

He thinks they should have hairy snatches. Dirty bugger.
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Australian Politics thread    Australian Politics thread  - Page 7 EmptySat Feb 25, 2012 7:21 am

Barrie Cassidy, usually a reliable lefty, makes the excellent observation:

The true mentality at work in the Government was exposed in this leadership contest.

They bellow about who is best equipped to beat Tony Abbott.

Can you believe that? They are in government, but it’s all about some Opposition Leader.

Truly pathetic.

And today we hear this from Rudd:

‘‘The key thing for me is how do we as Australian government prevent Tony Abbott from becoming prime minister.

‘‘What causes me to get out of bed of a morning is how do we defeat him and how do we build a better Australia for all of these good folk here, while never throwing the ‘fair go’ out the back door.’’

Some of the Labor rhetoric against Abbott sounds like it's been taken from Bashar Al-Assad. You never heard John Howard pay this much attention to an Opposition leader, let alone villify them with such extreme language.
Back to top Go down
Vesper
Head of Station
Head of Station
Vesper

PostSubject: Re: Australian Politics thread    Australian Politics thread  - Page 7 EmptySun Feb 26, 2012 3:55 pm

I tend to agree with Cassidy's point of view (did I just say that outloud?) but there is a very strongly worded column by Greg Sheridan in today's Australian that makes some very salient points about why (out of two bad apples, IMO) Rudd is the better pick for Australia and the Labor Party. I highlighted where he tears Gillard apart, because 1) it's true and it's great and 2) Sheridan is usually a rather moderate bloke, so it was pretty surprising.

Quote :
Gillard is not prime ministerial material and Rudd ought to return

by: Greg Sheridan
February 27, 2012 12:00AM

IF the Labor Party were not locked into a death spiral of spectacular savagery and pointlessness, it would today elect Kevin Rudd as leader. The public overwhelmingly favours Rudd. But the ALP is now like the East German Communist Party in the old Cold War joke -- it has lost confidence in the people and plans to dissolve them and form a new one.

Rudd is the most substantial figure in the contemporary Labor Party. He towers over Julia Gillard intellectually, politically, morally, in his connection with the Australian people and in every other way that counts. That the Labor Party, Australia's ruling party, has got itself into this mess reflects poorly on everyone.

I spend a certain amount of my life in countries where people go to jail, or risk their lives, for their politics. I am often amazed in such countries at the ability people have to forgive one another.

What we have in the Labor Party, in contrast, divided by no significant ideological or political principle, is a world-class ability to hate each other, to seethe with a rancour and bitterness that is demeaning to its practitioners, and to the rest of us who have to observe it. Those senior ministers who have gone into overkill to trash Rudd, their cabinet colleague and former leader, in an apparent attempt to destroy him forever, have damaged themselves and their party and the fabric of Australian politics. Nothing could further entrench cynicism about politics than the pettiness and bitterness of all this, and the momentary drawing back of the cloak of concealment to reveal the true state of the Gillard government.

Rudd deserves to be elected leader for pragmatic reasons and for what might be described as in-principle reasons. But first let me offer one piece of empirical evidence that would be difficult for others to obtain. As a foreign editor, I travel a great deal. And all over the world, prime ministers and presidents, foreign ministers and senior officials tell me how valuable they find Rudd. I am not gilding the lily here, and I am certainly not making this up.

Senior Americans, across a number of agencies and institutions, look to Rudd for policy advice on China. So do Canadians. And ministers across the Middle East tell me how valuable they find his contributions.

Europeans regard him as a first-table interlocutor on important global and regional issues. All through Asia Rudd is seen as a friend who can get things done.

I have never heard anyone, outside of a press conference where they are required to be polite, make a similar comment about Gillard. Indeed when Rudd was first deposed as prime minister, senior US officials were aghast they had lost such a good friend, and equally astonished that someone as provincial and narrow as Gillard could become prime minister of a country such as Australia.

The international community (used as short-hand to mean those international actors with an awareness of Australia) is like the Australian public -- they prefer Rudd. Luckily for Gillard, their views, like those of the Australian public, count for nothing.

The in-principle case for Rudd is strong. His critics demean his popularity as though somehow Rudd becoming popular was a sign of Savanarola-like wicked treachery on his part -- how dare he connect with the Australian people? What infamy! It's the same thing people used to say of Bob Hawke.

But beyond popularity there is a substantial case for Rudd. In the areas that concern me most, foreign affairs and national security, his achievements as prime minister and foreign minister were very substantial.

Rudd's vision of an Asia Pacific community, and his brilliant advocacy in Washington, led directly to the US joining the East Asia Summit, an achievement equal to Hawke's creation of APEC. His G20 advocacy was important in elevating the G20 to a summit, an achievement comparable to Paul Keating convincing the Americans to create an APEC summit.

Most important, Rudd stared down a sustained and ferocious Chinese government attempt to intimidate Australia during his prime ministership. And he fashioned a defence force structural evolution, with accompanying funding commitments, that gives Australia the best chance of meeting our security needs in the decades ahead. This defence commitment was almost instantly torn up by Gillard, who ripped money out of the defence budget at the first opportunity.

I accept foreign policy considerations are not at the heart of our political debate. But more than any Australian politician I've known, Rudd has a profound geostrategic map in his head. And on some issues he made important decisions. Although I think the stimulus went too far, it was a reasonable response to the GFC.

But on none of the geostrategic issues has Gillard shown the faintest schmick of an idea of what's going on. The Gillard camp has promulgated a number of propositions which are simply the opposite of the truth: that Rudd is the cause of the Gillard government's woeful standing in the opinion polls, that Gillard is a competent administrator, that Gillard is a steady hand.

In fact her government has lurched from crisis to crisis entirely of its own making. She it was who announced the East Timor solution when no such solution existed. She it was who convinced Rudd to abandon the emissions trading scheme, then promised there would be no carbon tax, then implemented the biggest, most onerous and expensive carbon tax to be applied by any nation in the world. She it was who made solemn commitments, after the election, on poker machine reform only to trash them the instant they became politically difficult. She it is who oversees Australia losing critical ground to competitors on educational achievement by our students. She it is who is squandering a once-in-a-century terms of trade boom. She it is who is leading us backwards into an industrial relations museum where we are high cost and low productivity.

Gillard occasionally says and does sensible things. But the pattern of her rule as prime minister leads to three sombre and unwelcome conclusions. She is not competent. She is not trustworthy. And there is no core of fixed, serious policy commitment in her. Anything is likely to be reversed because nothing is tethered to an anchor of deep belief. This is just chalk and cheese with Rudd, however disagreeable his temper might have been to his colleagues.

The gene pool of Australian national leadership is shallow. Most of our best people don't go into politics. Losing an asset like Rudd is bad for the nation. It may be suicidal for the Labor Party.
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Australian Politics thread    Australian Politics thread  - Page 7 EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 12:11 am

Final count: Gillard on 73 and Rudd on 29.

Ouch. Can't see him recovering from a drubbing like that and challenging again. Now go blubber in front of the cameras about how you're the only who can save Australia from Tony Abbott's gas chambers.

EDIT: Leaked numbers were wrong, it's 71 to 31.
Back to top Go down
Loomis
Head of Station
Head of Station
Loomis

PostSubject: Re: Australian Politics thread    Australian Politics thread  - Page 7 EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 3:01 am

Vesper wrote:
Most important, Rudd stared down a sustained and ferocious Chinese government attempt to intimidate Australia during his prime ministership.

Did he? What was the issue?
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Australian Politics thread    Australian Politics thread  - Page 7 EmptyFri Mar 02, 2012 2:02 am

That's a surprise... looks like Bob Carr will be Foreign Minister after all.

He's a smart cookie that one. It'll be interesting to see what he does in the role. He's voiced some pretty pro-China views in the past, essentially dismissing the concern over Tibet as liberal whining. He'll probably have to soften his stance now, lest he look heartless.

And, of course, we now know for sure that Gillard was spewing bullshit when she spent a week calling Carr's potential drafting "completely untrue."
Back to top Go down
Vesper
Head of Station
Head of Station
Vesper

PostSubject: Re: Australian Politics thread    Australian Politics thread  - Page 7 EmptyWed Mar 07, 2012 3:31 pm

As stated. He'll overshadow Gillard worse than Rudd ever would. He already is. And what's worse half the caucus will probably hate his guts because he comes in from cruisy and well-paid retirement and gets parachuted into a high profile cabinet seat while they slog away at mediocre-ville and stay there. So you get the Rudd Catch-22 all over again. A popular leader who the party don't want to lead.

Carr is a very intelligent man, and I like him a great deal, but he was by many accounts a terrible premier. He is the origin of the 'NSW Labor Disease' that infects the current National ALP. His successors were not so much that different to Carr but rather just worse statesmen.

Of course, this is good for the ALP, if you're going to lead a hollow, valueless government with no real vision to speak of, better to have someone who has the natural ability to lead people off a cliff as opposed to a wailing banshee who's only capable of pushing them off.

And the image of say, Carr flanked by Combet and Shorten is more reassuring than Gillard flanked by Swan.

If I'm going to have a rag-tag of ex-union officials leading me to the gulag I'd rather they be the ones who actually led national unions instead of a one term president of a student union and a TAFE management lecturer.
Back to top Go down
Vesper
Head of Station
Head of Station
Vesper

PostSubject: Re: Australian Politics thread    Australian Politics thread  - Page 7 EmptyFri Apr 06, 2012 2:38 pm

Is it worth even discussing the latest three front clusterfuck from the gov't?

No, I didn't think so.

Also I feel embarassed by what I said about Bob Carr. The man needs to take some Omega-3 fast, before the run-off from his rotting brain starts leaking out his nose mid-doorstop.
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Australian Politics thread    Australian Politics thread  - Page 7 EmptyFri Apr 13, 2012 4:09 am

Breaking news: Obergreenfuhrer von Braun is to stand down as leader of the Greenischer Korps. Fatty Milne to take over.

Back to top Go down
Vesper
Head of Station
Head of Station
Vesper

PostSubject: Re: Australian Politics thread    Australian Politics thread  - Page 7 EmptyFri Apr 13, 2012 9:13 am

CJB wrote:
Breaking news: Obergreenfuhrer von Braun is to stand down as leader of the Greenischer Korps. Fatty Milne to take over.

laugh laugh laugh laugh
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Australian Politics thread    Australian Politics thread  - Page 7 EmptySat Apr 14, 2012 5:03 am

:x
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Australian Politics thread    Australian Politics thread  - Page 7 EmptySat Apr 14, 2012 5:11 am

That's his "assistant".
Back to top Go down
Vesper
Head of Station
Head of Station
Vesper

PostSubject: Re: Australian Politics thread    Australian Politics thread  - Page 7 EmptySat Apr 14, 2012 6:21 am

Don't be fooled, UWS is more alike to a detention camp for the mentally disabled than it is to a university.
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Australian Politics thread    Australian Politics thread  - Page 7 EmptySun Apr 22, 2012 2:45 am

Well, that's the last time I give Peter Slipper a massage.
Back to top Go down
Vesper
Head of Station
Head of Station
Vesper

PostSubject: Re: Australian Politics thread    Australian Politics thread  - Page 7 EmptySun Apr 22, 2012 12:02 pm

Well, I think this is all Tony Abbott's fault.
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Australian Politics thread    Australian Politics thread  - Page 7 EmptySun Apr 22, 2012 12:15 pm

Tony Abbott's opposition to gay marriage same-sex marriage Marriage Equality™ has created a culture where LGBT-Australians are forced underground to procure relations via texting staffers. Such relentless negativity.
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Australian Politics thread    Australian Politics thread  - Page 7 EmptyMon Apr 23, 2012 6:52 am

http://images.smh.com.au/file/2012/04/23/3240622/Slipper.pdf

Quote :
Mr Nutt was so informed by Megan
Hobson, a former member of the Second Respondent's staff who had viewed a video in
which Mr Slipper was observed to:
(a) enter the bedroom of a junior male staff member via the window;
(b) lie on a bed with the junior male staff member in shorts and t-shirt and hug
the junior male staff member in an intimate fashion;
(c) urinate out of the window of the room.

Oy gevalt. laugh
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Australian Politics thread    Australian Politics thread  - Page 7 EmptyTue Aug 28, 2012 9:52 am

Thought this thread needed to be revived, just for this epic article lead in The Oz:

A senior union official who is suing Opposition leader Tony Abbott for allegedly implying he is a union thug deliberately drove his car at a building site manager following a violent protest in Melbourne this morning, a court has heard.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/industrial-relations/unionist-drove-car-at-site-manager-after-grocon-protest-court-hears/story-fn59noo3-1226459889599

laugh
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Australian Politics thread    Australian Politics thread  - Page 7 EmptyTue Aug 28, 2012 12:42 pm

What's the age of consent in Australia?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Australian Politics thread    Australian Politics thread  - Page 7 Empty

Back to top Go down

Australian Politics thread
Page 7 of 16Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11 ... 16  Next