These forums may contain mild adult content and are not associated with EON, Sony or any other companies and do not reflect their views.

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Obituaries

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Hilly KCMG

PostSubject: Re: Obituaries   Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:44 am

Great loss, love or loathe his films they shaped the Bond we know. A fan of his Battle of Britain and Colditz Story to boot. Recall from a book that he served in MGBs in WWII and if I may, quoting from his Telegraph obit:

Quote :
During the war Hamilton served in the Royal Navy with the 15th Motor Gunboat Flotilla, a covert unit led by Lieutenant-Commander Peter Williams, which attempted to rescue British servicemen caught in France and, in reverse, ferry agents into occupied territory. In January 1944, however, Hamilton found himself caught up in an adventure befitting the imagination of Ian Fleming, when he was the one left behind on the Breton shores. With his gunboat remaining 500 yards out, Hamilton, two crewmen and three agents pitched into a small surfboat and rowed to a nearby beach – codenamed Bonaparte. When they missed the rendezvous for their return gunship they sank the surfboat and made contact with the Resistance.

“We walked through the night to get well away from the beach we’d landed at, so we wouldn’t give away the fact that it was being used for operations,” he remembered. “Then we contacted the Resistance and they took us in hand. First we stayed with a Breton family, but that got too hot for us. When the Germans came snooping round they moved us out into this deserted shepherd’s hut in the middle of a forest. The Germans knew that we were around somewhere, but we evaded them, and were picked up four weeks later. I had a month’s holiday in Brittany.”

The group who helped Hamilton and his crew included the 18-year-old Maria-Therese Calvez. “Quite simply, if was not for the Resistance I would not be alive today,” said Hamilton. “I owed my life to Marie-Therese.” On one occasion the Resistance members took him to a village bar to play skittles. “I was horrified to see the Germans there, and the Resistance even bought them a round of drinks. They thought it was hilarious, but I thought it was very unfunny. Thank God that only happened once.” Hamilton was awarded a DSC for his numerous missions to France and Norway.

further reminder that this golden generation are sadly passing out of memory.

RIP.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Obituaries   Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:32 am

R.I.P. indeed - Goldfinger tonight by way of tribute, I think.

Not Bond-related, but I was stunned to hear of the passing of Prince at the age of only 57.
Back to top Go down
Moore
Senior Correspondent

PostSubject: Re: Obituaries   Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:58 pm

Hilly KCMG wrote:
further reminder that this golden generation are sadly passing out of memory.

So true. I hate to say it, but, unfortunately, this is just the start. Ken Adams. Guy Hamilton. They aren't getting any younger. Lewis Gilbert is pretty damn close to 100. It's sad for me to hear. The film's he directed have brought great joy to me. And, it's kind of crazy to say, but charted the course I'm on today.

When I was a child first discovering the Bond films, I remember watching Goldfinger for the first time. That's the film that got me into cinema, film, and film making. It got me into Bergman and foreign films. That film made me track down the Bond novels, which reignited my love for reading that had disappeared for years. The resurgence in my reading habits, led me to get back into history and non-fiction which is what I did for several years. And, although I left that field, it's where I made connections for my current job (albeit greatly different.) Today I'm still a huge cinema buff. I'm still an avid reader. I still enjoy them 25 + years later, although I might be a little more critical of those works than I was as a child.

Maybe I'm giving that film a little too much credit, maybe it would have worked out that way in the end. Perhaps it is a bit silly, but it's interesting to think would I have got into all those things had it not been for seeing that film?

It's unfortunate his other Bond efforts didn't have particularly good scripts, but I still think LALD is his second best outing. I enjoy DAF's camp. TMWTGG...well...anyway... it's sad to hear that news, but he sure had a good number of innings. Can't beat that.

Back to top Go down
FieldsMan
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Obituaries   Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:47 pm

Great post! Not to mention some of the actors themselves - Moore, Connery, Dench, Honor Blackman, Michael Lonsdale, Julian Glover - they are all getting on as well and if 2016 is anything to go by - even 2014 and 2015 with the passings of Kiel, Jourdan, John, Lee and Holder - it's fast becoming the end of, IMO, another golden age of cinema.

On a side note, your story bears strikingly similar parallels to my own, Moore, and it's nice to see how Bond had impacted someone else at a young age which poses the questions I ask myself as well: was it meant to be and would I have been where I am today without it?
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Obituaries   Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:00 pm

With Lazenby and Dalton being in their seventies and Connery and Moore being in their eighties, one's thoughts turn somewhat gloomily to which Bond will be the first to 'go'.

Time for more posting in the naked ladies thread, I think.
Back to top Go down
FieldsMan
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Obituaries   Wed May 25, 2016 12:56 am

Back to top Go down
Bond Fan 90
Correspondent
Correspondent

PostSubject: Re: Obituaries   Wed May 25, 2016 7:27 am

Thank you Mr Kwouk for your brilliant contribution to the Bond series. I'm watching Goldfinger in tribute. RIP.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ajb007.co.uk/
Hilly KCMG

PostSubject: Re: Obituaries   Wed May 25, 2016 7:52 am

Sad loss. Never forget watching one of the Pink Panther films as a kid the first time round and being told my Dad to look out for Cato and then wham, Cato trying to get Closeau.

Never bettered. And a life long and well lived.

Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Obituaries   Wed May 25, 2016 5:34 pm

'Not NOW, Cato!'

R.I.P. Mr Kwouk.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Obituaries   Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:29 am

Tragically, Anton Yelchin (best known as Chekov in the recent Star Trek movies) is dead at the age of just 27 in a freak accident.

Seems his car (which he'd just got out of) rolled back down his driveway and pinned him against a pillar at the gateway entrance of his home. When he didn't show up for a rehearsal, his friends went over to his home and consequently found his body.

R.I.P.
Back to top Go down
lachesis
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Obituaries   Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:33 pm

Blunt Instrument wrote:
Tragically, Anton Yelchin (best known as Chekov in the recent Star Trek movies) is dead at the age of just 27 in a freak accident.

Seems his car (which he'd just got out of) rolled back down his driveway and pinned him against a pillar at the gateway entrance of his home. When he didn't show up for a rehearsal, his friends went over to his home and consequently found his body.

R.I.P.

A bewilderingly tragic end, very sad news.

RIP
Back to top Go down
FieldsMan
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Obituaries   Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:10 pm

Sir Roger Moore's daughter, Christina, has passed away after a battle with cancer. Condolences to Sir Roger and his family. RIP.
Back to top Go down
lachesis
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Obituaries   Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:26 pm

FieldsMan wrote:
Sir Roger Moore's daughter, Christina, has passed away after a battle with cancer. Condolences to Sir Roger and his family. RIP.

Very sad news, deepest sympathies to the family.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Obituaries   Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:19 am

R.I.P. to her indeed.

Does she cameo as the flight attendant looking after Bond as he returns to London in DAD?
Back to top Go down
FieldsMan
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Obituaries   Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:39 am

No, that's Deborah Moore in DAD.
Back to top Go down
CJB
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Obituaries   Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:46 pm

R.I.P.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Obituaries   Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:50 pm

FieldsMan wrote:
No, that's Deborah Moore in DAD.

Ah. Thanks, FM.
Back to top Go down
FieldsMan
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Obituaries   Wed May 31, 2017 12:53 am

Molly Peters, who played Pat Fearing in Thunderball, has passed away, aged 75. Always liked her character.

RIP.

http://heavy.com/entertainment/2017/05/molly-peters-dead-thunderball-james-bond-girl-age-patricia-fearing/
Back to top Go down
CJB
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Obituaries   Wed May 31, 2017 10:19 pm

R.I.P.

Good looking bird. I, too, enjoyed the scene where Bond humps the table vigorously to warm himself up for her.
Back to top Go down
FieldsMan
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Obituaries   Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:46 am

laugh

Back to top Go down
FieldsMan
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Obituaries   Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:08 am

Karin Dor has passed away, aged 79. Always felt she was an underrated addition to the Bond-o-verse. 

Back to top Go down
Erica Ambler
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Obituaries   Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:04 am

She starred in one of Hitchcock's finest scenes. There is no greater film legacy.

Back to top Go down
Hilly KCMG

PostSubject: Re: Obituaries   Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:56 am

Outside of Bond, I recall her mostly from a two part Ironside episode where she was the unlikely love interest of the chief's. Always remembered.
Back to top Go down
CJB
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Obituaries   Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:22 pm

R.I.P.

May her chest remain healthy in the afterlife.
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Obituaries   Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:25 pm

FieldsMan wrote:
Karin Dor has passed away, aged 79. Always felt she was an underrated addition to the Bond-o-verse. 

Agreed. And had she been in a better Bond film, she might be better remembered. I certainly wouldn't have minded her starring in two Bond films like Maud did.

You know, I've never given it much thought, but didn't it seem a little unusual in 1982/83 that the same actress was playing another prominent role in the Moore-universe? If Maud had starred in a Connery film and then in a Moore film, you could argue that Moore was a reboot and all previous history was non-cannon. But Moore, Connery, and Lazenby all played the same Bond.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Obituaries   

Back to top Go down

Obituaries
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bond And Beyond :: Bond :: Bond: General News & General Discussion-
Jump to: