More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

GOLDNEYE Screenwriter Michael France dies at 51

Go down 
+2
MBalje
Largo's Shark
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

GOLDNEYE Screenwriter Michael France dies at 51 Empty
PostSubject: GOLDNEYE Screenwriter Michael France dies at 51   GOLDNEYE Screenwriter Michael France dies at 51 EmptySun Apr 14, 2013 9:48 pm

Quote :
ST. PETE BEACH, Fla., April 14 (UPI) -- "Cliffhanger" and "GoldenEye" screenwriter Michael France has died at his St. Pete Beach, Fla., home following an extended illness, his sister said. He was 51.

France suffered from diabetes that impaired his left arm and right leg, Tampa Bay (Fla.) Times reported.

He was fund comatose nine months ago in his home in St. Pete Beach by his sister, Suzanne France, who found his body Friday at his home.

"He didn't look that bad on Thursday night," Suzanne France said Saturday. "He was sick, but I didn't think he was as bad as he was the last time or I would have just called an ambulance.

"He was sitting up, he had good color, he was making jokes. Just sitting there on the couch with his dog," she said.

Michael France shared the screenwriting credit for "Cliffhanger" with John Long and the 1993 film's star, Sylvester Stallone. He wrote the 1995 James Bond movie "GoldenEye" with Jeffrey Caine and Bruce Feirstein.

He was also a screenwriter on several Marvel Comics film adaptations, including "The Hulk" (2003), "The Punisher" (2004) and "Fantastic Four" 2005.

He owned the Beach Theatre in St. Pete Beach, where he showed a variety of classic, independent and foreign films, along with current blockbusters.

http://www.upi.com/Entertainment_News/Movies/2013/04/14/Screenwriter-Michael-France-dies-at-51/UPI-76171365959590/
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: GOLDNEYE Screenwriter Michael France dies at 51   GOLDNEYE Screenwriter Michael France dies at 51 EmptySun Apr 14, 2013 10:16 pm

France was a frequent critic of the WGA arbitration system. Ten years ago he spoke, possibly unwisely, of his dissatisfaction:

Quote :
"My agent lobbied hard for [GoldenEye]," French says. "It's not like your agent just calls up and suggests you, and somebody says: "Great idea, we'll take him.' For the Bond film there were, like, 30 other writers campaigning to get the job. You have to show up and really give them something."

France met several times with Bond series producers Barbara Broccoli and Michael Wilson about his Agent 007 ideas. They took him to meet Bond's cinema godfather, producer Albert "Cubby" Broccoli.

"If the whole thing had stopped there, that would have been a definite thrill for me, to go to his house and meet him," France says. "I convinced him that I would take an approach they would like that would take the characters seriously but still have fun with them."

France got the job, wrote the screenplay, then got his first taste of Hollywood's curious approach to crediting screenwriters. Names that moviegoers see listed as authors in film credits aren't always the ones who wrote first, and perhaps not those who wrote the most. Writing credits are determined by the Writers Guild of America, a process with a built-in arbitration system because of the disputes that often erupt.

For example: France's GoldenEye script was reworked by Jeffrey Caine and Bruce Feirstein, who eventually shared screenplay credit by writers guild decision. France got credited only for the story. "My thinking is that I got seriously undercredited on that one," he says.

http://www.sptimes.com/2003/06/20/Floridian/Flexing_his_writer_s_.shtml

Back to top Go down
MBalje
Q Branch
Q Branch
MBalje

PostSubject: Re: GOLDNEYE Screenwriter Michael France dies at 51   GOLDNEYE Screenwriter Michael France dies at 51 EmptySun Apr 14, 2013 11:51 pm

GOLDNEYE Screenwriter Michael France dies at 51 Hulk1

Writer of Goldeneye, Hulk, Cliffhanger and Fantasic Four.

Goldeneye the best Bond movie to date and i wish he and atleast one of the other writers (Jeffrey Caine) get another change writing another Bond movie.

Rip 51 Years old, the same age as the Bond movies exist this year.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: GOLDNEYE Screenwriter Michael France dies at 51   GOLDNEYE Screenwriter Michael France dies at 51 EmptyMon Apr 15, 2013 12:07 am

Having read his original draft, it's surprisingly close in many ways that I can see his dissatisfaction over getting undercredited. Sure wish that he and Caine got more Bond gigs.
Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: GOLDNEYE Screenwriter Michael France dies at 51   GOLDNEYE Screenwriter Michael France dies at 51 EmptyMon Apr 15, 2013 12:58 am

EON has been thieving from France's original draft of GOLDENEYE for years. Heck, even QUANTUM OF SOLACE stole a sequence from France's GOLDENEYE draft.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: GOLDNEYE Screenwriter Michael France dies at 51   GOLDNEYE Screenwriter Michael France dies at 51 EmptyMon Apr 15, 2013 1:11 am

RIP.

Which sequence was that, Harmsway?
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: GOLDNEYE Screenwriter Michael France dies at 51   GOLDNEYE Screenwriter Michael France dies at 51 EmptyMon Apr 15, 2013 1:14 am

FieldsMan wrote:
Which sequence was that, Harmsway?
The sinkhole/sky-diving sequence.
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: GOLDNEYE Screenwriter Michael France dies at 51   GOLDNEYE Screenwriter Michael France dies at 51 EmptyMon Apr 15, 2013 11:35 pm

Harmsway wrote:
EON has been thieving from France's original draft of GOLDENEYE for years. Heck, even QUANTUM OF SOLACE stole a sequence from France's GOLDENEYE draft.

Writer of the Bond films since 1995.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: GOLDNEYE Screenwriter Michael France dies at 51   GOLDNEYE Screenwriter Michael France dies at 51 Empty

Back to top Go down

GOLDNEYE Screenwriter Michael France dies at 51
Page 1 of 1