More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

The end of movies on film is in sight... (Variety)

Go down 
+4
Largo's Shark
Loomis
bitchcraft
Control
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

The end of movies on film is in sight... (Variety) Empty
PostSubject: The end of movies on film is in sight... (Variety)   The end of movies on film is in sight... (Variety) EmptyThu Apr 18, 2013 1:25 am

http://variety.com/2013/film/news/film-jobs-decline-as-digital-distribution-gains-foothold-1200375732/

Quote :
Significant cost savings in distribution drove studios to embrace digital projection of movies. Creatives still debate the technical advantages of digital vs. the romanticism of film, and preservationists fret over the fate of cinema classics. But with the conversion of theaters in the U.S. almost complete, the end of movies on film is in sight...

Really interesting article. Sad, but expected.
Back to top Go down
bitchcraft
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
bitchcraft

PostSubject: Re: The end of movies on film is in sight... (Variety)   The end of movies on film is in sight... (Variety) EmptyThu Apr 18, 2013 1:30 am

Piracy will be exponential...and the quality will be on par with original material if digital prints get into the wrong hands (and it will).
Back to top Go down
Loomis
Head of Station
Head of Station
Loomis

PostSubject: Re: The end of movies on film is in sight... (Variety)   The end of movies on film is in sight... (Variety) EmptyFri Apr 19, 2013 12:11 am

Control wrote:
Sad, but expected.

Indeed. To my mind, if it isn't shot on celluloid then it isn't really a film (which is one of my gripes with SKYFALL, although certainly not my biggest one). Still, hopefully there will always be a few directors like Tarantino who insist on continuing with celluloid, just as there are bands like My Bloody Valentine who still persist in making analogue albums.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: The end of movies on film is in sight... (Variety)   The end of movies on film is in sight... (Variety) EmptyFri Apr 19, 2013 12:34 am

Loomis wrote:
To my mind, if it isn't shot on celluloid then it isn't really a film

What a ridiculous notion.

I have no qualms with this. SKYFALL looked more beautiful and film-like than most (digitally graded) films of the past decade.
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: The end of movies on film is in sight... (Variety)   The end of movies on film is in sight... (Variety) EmptyFri Apr 19, 2013 12:39 am

I'll miss film, but so few contemporary films have actually harnessed and utilized its unique quality that I'm not overly grieved by its passing.

Largo's Shark wrote:
SKYFALL looked more beautiful and film-like than most (digitally graded) films of the past decade.
Entirely agreed, Sharky.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: The end of movies on film is in sight... (Variety)   The end of movies on film is in sight... (Variety) EmptyFri Apr 19, 2013 1:14 am

Film has no longer been the same since they started laser printing film copies, and that negatives are no longer assembled like they used to be. If I ever made a film I'd rather have it traditionally cut and dyed.
Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
Lazenby.
Head of Station
Head of Station
Lazenby.

PostSubject: Re: The end of movies on film is in sight... (Variety)   The end of movies on film is in sight... (Variety) EmptyFri Apr 19, 2013 5:40 am

Given that Skyfall is just about the only new film I've watched in the last year or watched at the cinema, this news is as devastating to me as it is completely inapplicable. Why would I want to watch Star Trek Into Darkness, Star Wars 7 or Avengers Assemble 2 anyway?

If I wanted to watch computer-effect ridden shit I'd just buy a PS3.
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: The end of movies on film is in sight... (Variety)   The end of movies on film is in sight... (Variety) EmptyFri Apr 19, 2013 5:49 am

Tell me 'bout it. Every film trailer I see on TV is replete with in-your-face, comically fake CGI. Even standard action movies - which once upon a time featured real stunts and practical effects - like nu-Die Hard and the one where Gerard Buter has to save the White House or whatever look more like cartoons than movies.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The end of movies on film is in sight... (Variety)   The end of movies on film is in sight... (Variety) Empty

Back to top Go down

The end of movies on film is in sight... (Variety)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bond And Beyond :: Beyond :: Film News & Film Discussion-
Jump to: