More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Dame Margaret Drabble: Kill Bond(!)

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

Dame Margaret Drabble: Kill Bond(!) Empty
PostSubject: Dame Margaret Drabble: Kill Bond(!)   Dame Margaret Drabble: Kill Bond(!) EmptyTue May 14, 2013 10:58 pm

An astonishingly short bit in the Standard caught my eye tonight. Maybe it was the last line quoted that caught my attention, ire or whatever. Friends, countrymen...

Quote :
So, Margaret Drabble is not a Bond fan - well, we never

Dame Margaret Drabble: Kill Bond(!) Margaret-drabble

Quote :
Dame Margaret Drabble is on a mission to kill James Bond sequels. The next Bond novel, Solo, is due out in September penned by William Boyd. “I’ve never read an Ian Fleming novel,” she told me at last night’s Royal Society of Literature's £10,000 Ondaatje prize at the Travellers’ Club won by Philip Hensher, “so I wouldn’t want to read a sequel. Enough is enough.”

Booker Prize-winning author Howard Jacobson said he couldn’t see the appeal of mimicking another writer’s style.

“I can understand why William would think it was a lovely gig but I don’t get it. As a writer you have a voice and you work through that voice. That’s the point. And of course to write a Bond book you would have to really care about Ian Fleming.

“That’s the real mystery to me — why anyone gives a damn about him.”

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/londoners-diary/so-margaret-drabble-is-not-a-bond-fan--well-we-never-8615619.html
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Dame Margaret Drabble: Kill Bond(!)   Dame Margaret Drabble: Kill Bond(!) EmptyTue May 14, 2013 11:11 pm

Dame Margaret who?
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Dame Margaret Drabble: Kill Bond(!)   Dame Margaret Drabble: Kill Bond(!) EmptyTue May 14, 2013 11:16 pm

Exactly. Dame-doms handed out like cookies.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Dame Margaret Drabble: Kill Bond(!)   Dame Margaret Drabble: Kill Bond(!) EmptyWed May 15, 2013 3:29 am

Dame Margaret Drabble: Kill Bond(!) Margaret-drabble

When did Mark Hamill become a Dame?
Back to top Go down
saint mark
Head of Station
Head of Station
saint mark

PostSubject: Re: Dame Margaret Drabble: Kill Bond(!)   Dame Margaret Drabble: Kill Bond(!) EmptyWed May 15, 2013 10:53 am

So what did she write???
Back to top Go down
Prisoner Monkeys
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Prisoner Monkeys

PostSubject: Re: Dame Margaret Drabble: Kill Bond(!)   Dame Margaret Drabble: Kill Bond(!) EmptyWed May 15, 2013 12:33 pm

So she hasn't read anything by Fleming, and this somehow makes her uniquely qualified to pass judgement on the merit of any potential sequels to the novels she hasn't read in the first place.
Back to top Go down
Prisoner Monkeys
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Prisoner Monkeys

PostSubject: Re: Dame Margaret Drabble: Kill Bond(!)   Dame Margaret Drabble: Kill Bond(!) EmptyWed May 15, 2013 1:11 pm

So I Googled "Dame Margaret Drabble", and found a Wikipedia article on her. Her only novel notable enough to have its own article - and even then, it's just a plot summary - is for The Millstone, which was published in 1965. This is the article lead:
Quote :
It is about an unmarried, young academic who becomes pregnant after a one-night stand and, against all odds, decides to give birth to her child and raise it herself.
I gather she is one of those feminist literary academics who has no grasp of popular fiction because she lives in a world as isolated as those of her novels, and shows no desire to join in with the rest of the world for fear that her work will lose its esoteric value (which has never been established by anyone but her and her like-minded fraternity). Furthermore, she has no desire to have the rest of the world give up their tastes in popular fiction and join her in her closed-off niche of self-proclaimed literary elitism, once again for fear that this will strip her work of its so-called value.

I would refer to her as "Dame Margaret Dribble", but that would likely be interpreted as being too bourgeois, and treated as an excuse to disregard any criticism of her.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dame Margaret Drabble: Kill Bond(!)   Dame Margaret Drabble: Kill Bond(!) Empty

Back to top Go down

Dame Margaret Drabble: Kill Bond(!)
Page 1 of 1