More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Could Nicolas Winding-Refn Be Directing Bond 24?

Go down 
+5
Jack Wade
Makeshift Python
GeneralGogol
Harmsway
Largo's Shark
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

Could Nicolas Winding-Refn Be Directing Bond 24? Empty
PostSubject: Could Nicolas Winding-Refn Be Directing Bond 24?   Could Nicolas Winding-Refn Be Directing Bond 24? EmptyTue May 28, 2013 9:12 pm

Quote :
I love Bond... I love him." I might have landed a pretty big scoop, if a big smile is any kind of confirmation. At the end of the Cannes Film Festival, I was invited to interview Danish writer/director Nicolas Winding Refn (Bronson, Valhalla Rising, Drive), who was there with his divisive new film Only God Forgives. At the end of the interview (being posted soon), I asked him about a project I heard he might be involved in - the next James Bond movie. His reaction is very interesting to watch, as his body language and big smile seem to indicate he might be a top contender, however he doesn't actually say yes at all. View the clip below.

I had been tipped from a trustworthy source that Refn has been connected to the new Bond, as it sounds like EON is meeting with quite a few unique directors (including Chris Nolan, Danny Boyle, J.A. Bayona). So I asked him if he's considering doing Bond coming up. "Where did you hear that?" was his immediate response. I pushed him a bit more and tried to get confirmation, but alas "I love Bond... I love him," is all he said. Check out the smile when I hint that perhaps we have to wait for an announcement coming up.

Watch his response and make what you will of it. On one hand, I think he could be messing with me, totally playing along. On the other, I think there was something behind his responses, with the way he replied. It may not mean he is set, and could just be one of the many directors they're talking to, but I'm sure we'll find out more soon. I would be intrigued in seeing a Nicolas Winding Refn James Bond, especially after Skyfall and how much Mendes pushed and rejuvenated the Daniel Craig Bond again in such a dark way. But could he even make a PG-13 Bond? Refn's violence is so brutal, though they could cut it in the right places. Either way, I'm curious, and hopefully not the only one who now thinks he's very interested in making this move.

My full 22-minute interview with Nicolas Winding Refn will be posted later this week. Oddly enough, the topic we had discussed just before this Bond question involved Hollywood and how he "wasn't willing to give up [his] creative freedom" for the studios. I was intrigued to hear him jump from saying those things to possibly being interested in making Bond 24, but we'll have to see what happens. Refn's Only God Forgives arrives in theaters starting July 19th this summer. Stay tuned for the full video. So what do you think?

Update!
As expected, the Hollywood trades have chimed in. Variety wrote a post mentioning our scoop and followed up adding three more big names into the Bond 24 director mix: Shane Black, Ang Lee and Tom Hooper. In addition, Jeff Sneider of The Wrap confirmed in a tweet at least this much: "Nicolas Winding Refn makes moves about men of action & few words. James Bond is cut from that mold. Refn may not get it but he's in the mix." Only time will tell, but Refn is in contention with others. We will be watching closely.

http://www.firstshowing.net/2013/exclusive-nicolas-winding-refn-could-be-directing-the-next-bond/?uid=d4cbcf732274e1c403824c9d7639d2af857945c8

Last edited by Largo's Shark on Tue May 28, 2013 9:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: Could Nicolas Winding-Refn Be Directing Bond 24?   Could Nicolas Winding-Refn Be Directing Bond 24? EmptyTue May 28, 2013 9:27 pm

I hope not.

Of the mentioned directors, I'd hope for Ang Lee.
Back to top Go down
GeneralGogol
Q Branch
Q Branch
GeneralGogol

PostSubject: Re: Could Nicolas Winding-Refn Be Directing Bond 24?   Could Nicolas Winding-Refn Be Directing Bond 24? EmptyTue May 28, 2013 10:45 pm

Refn directing Bond would be more bizarre than Tarantino (who in comparison to Refn has decent storytelling credentials to go with the hyperviolent visuals). I'd bet my money on Hooper - closest to Mendes' style. Or Yates. Just please let it be another Brit.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Could Nicolas Winding-Refn Be Directing Bond 24?   Could Nicolas Winding-Refn Be Directing Bond 24? EmptyTue May 28, 2013 10:58 pm

Nicolas Winding-Refn, or as I call him, the Danish sadist.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Could Nicolas Winding-Refn Be Directing Bond 24?   Could Nicolas Winding-Refn Be Directing Bond 24? EmptyTue May 28, 2013 11:11 pm

I heard of the Tom Hooper bit. I saw some of LES MISERABLES and what I saw of it was insufferable. The acclaim his films get are baffling, the only exploitation would be that he's giving everyone samples of heroin before watching.
Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
Jack Wade
Head of Station
Head of Station
Jack Wade

PostSubject: Re: Could Nicolas Winding-Refn Be Directing Bond 24?   Could Nicolas Winding-Refn Be Directing Bond 24? EmptyTue May 28, 2013 11:25 pm

Yuck. Based on what I've heard about his new film (a shameless, borderline-obscene gorefest), I sure hope not.

No matter, though, as it seems a familiar face is back in the mix ...
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Could Nicolas Winding-Refn Be Directing Bond 24?   Could Nicolas Winding-Refn Be Directing Bond 24? EmptyTue May 28, 2013 11:36 pm

I've only seen Drive, and I thought that was a great looking film. The producers wouldn't let the Bond films get so violent...
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: Could Nicolas Winding-Refn Be Directing Bond 24?   Could Nicolas Winding-Refn Be Directing Bond 24? EmptyTue May 28, 2013 11:45 pm

Jack Wade wrote:
Yuck. Based on what I've heard about his new film (a shameless, borderline-obscene gorefest), I sure hope not.

No matter, though, as it seems a familiar face is back in the mix ...
Mendes!
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Could Nicolas Winding-Refn Be Directing Bond 24?   Could Nicolas Winding-Refn Be Directing Bond 24? EmptyWed May 29, 2013 3:36 am

Winding-Refn has to be the worst surname I've ever heard.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Could Nicolas Winding-Refn Be Directing Bond 24?   Could Nicolas Winding-Refn Be Directing Bond 24? EmptyWed May 29, 2013 1:01 pm

In that video he looks like a wannabe Scott Storch.
Back to top Go down
lachesis
Head of Station
Head of Station
lachesis

PostSubject: Re: Could Nicolas Winding-Refn Be Directing Bond 24?   Could Nicolas Winding-Refn Be Directing Bond 24? EmptyWed May 29, 2013 3:25 pm

I sincerely hope not, cinematography aside Drive was a pretty loathsome piece of cinema imo.
Back to top Go down
Loomis
Head of Station
Head of Station
Loomis

PostSubject: Re: Could Nicolas Winding-Refn Be Directing Bond 24?   Could Nicolas Winding-Refn Be Directing Bond 24? EmptyWed May 29, 2013 3:41 pm

lachesis wrote:
I sincerely hope not, cinematography aside Drive was a pretty loathsome piece of cinema imo.

Agreed.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Could Nicolas Winding-Refn Be Directing Bond 24?   Could Nicolas Winding-Refn Be Directing Bond 24? Empty

Back to top Go down

Could Nicolas Winding-Refn Be Directing Bond 24?
Page 1 of 1