These forums may contain mild adult content and are not associated with EON, Sony or any other companies and do not reflect their views.
 
HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 
 

 The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug ::: Dec. 13th, 2013

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Ravenstone
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 1471
Member Since : 2011-03-17
Location : The Gates of Horn and Ivory

PostSubject: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug ::: Dec. 13th, 2013   Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:18 am

Someone tell Legolas to get the hell away from my dwarf!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idp6wjqG674&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Smaug!
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 2801
Member Since : 2011-08-22

PostSubject: Re: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug ::: Dec. 13th, 2013   Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:34 am

Blecch.
Back to top Go down
Loomis
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 1414
Member Since : 2011-04-12

PostSubject: Re: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug ::: Dec. 13th, 2013   Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:41 am

I still haven't seen THE HOBBIT: AN INTERMINABLE JOURNEY, or whatever it's called. Might watch it on Blu-ray one of these days.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
Moderator
Moderator


Posts : 10600
Member Since : 2011-03-14

PostSubject: Re: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug ::: Dec. 13th, 2013   Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:44 am

Looks awful.laugh
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 2801
Member Since : 2011-08-22

PostSubject: Re: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug ::: Dec. 13th, 2013   Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:57 am

Loomis wrote:
I still haven't seen THE HOBBIT: AN INTERMINABLE JOURNEY, or whatever it's called. Might watch it on Blu-ray one of these days.
Don't.
Back to top Go down
CJB
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 3783
Member Since : 2011-03-14
Location : 'Straya

PostSubject: Re: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug ::: Dec. 13th, 2013   Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:24 pm

That looks like a pretty fun video game.



























Oh wait, it's a movie?
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 6800
Member Since : 2011-03-14
Location : Up

PostSubject: Re: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug ::: Dec. 13th, 2013   Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:59 pm

I found the first film pretty entertaining to an extent.
Back to top Go down
CJB
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 3783
Member Since : 2011-03-14
Location : 'Straya

PostSubject: Re: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug ::: Dec. 13th, 2013   Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:44 pm

As did I, but it's still dissapointing to see Jackson flush himself down a proverbial toilet with a copy of Tolkien's The Hobbit tucked into his waistband.

Like the first one, I suspect this will be a kiddy flick with moments of fun, but a shitty movie overall and well short of Jackson's past endeavours and the source material on which it is extremely loosely based.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 6800
Member Since : 2011-03-14
Location : Up

PostSubject: Re: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug ::: Dec. 13th, 2013   Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:04 pm

As much as I enjoyed it, I am still puzzled over the need to stretch it out to three films (I know, money). Even the original plan of it being two films was already pushing it.
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 6062
Member Since : 2011-03-14
Location : ELdorado 5-9970

PostSubject: Re: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug ::: Dec. 13th, 2013   Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:02 pm

CJB wrote:
That looks like a pretty fun video game.



























Oh wait, it's a movie?



I disagree with this post, and violently so.

It does not look like a fun video game.
Back to top Go down
Ravenstone
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 1471
Member Since : 2011-03-17
Location : The Gates of Horn and Ivory

PostSubject: Re: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug ::: Dec. 13th, 2013   Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:42 am

I wondered why they needed more than one film, but after seeing it, I could see all the extra back story worked into the script from the appendices to the Lord of the Rings and The Silmarillion.  It actually makes sense.  I couldn't stand the Lord of the Rings films, but I loved The Hobbit.
Back to top Go down
Loomis
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 1414
Member Since : 2011-04-12

PostSubject: Re: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug ::: Dec. 13th, 2013   Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:43 am

Harmsway wrote:
Loomis wrote:
I still haven't seen THE HOBBIT: AN INTERMINABLE JOURNEY, or whatever it's called. Might watch it on Blu-ray one of these days.


Don't.

I thought you were a Tolkien man who greatly enjoyed (with some reservations) Jackson's LORD OF THE RINGS flicks. You're saying THE HOBBIT just plain isn't worth watching at all?
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
Moderator
Moderator


Posts : 10600
Member Since : 2011-03-14

PostSubject: Re: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug ::: Dec. 13th, 2013   Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:48 am

I think Harms enjoyed the LOTR films when he was 15. I've got the Cb.n posts for evidence.
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 2801
Member Since : 2011-08-22

PostSubject: Re: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug ::: Dec. 13th, 2013   Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:02 pm

Loomis wrote:
Harmsway wrote:
Loomis wrote:
I still haven't seen THE HOBBIT: AN INTERMINABLE JOURNEY, or whatever it's called. Might watch it on Blu-ray one of these days.

Don't.
I thought you were a Tolkien man who greatly enjoyed (with some reservations) Jackson's LORD OF THE RINGS flicks. You're saying THE HOBBIT just plain isn't worth watching at all?
I've soured on THE LORD OF THE RINGS films quite a bit (though as Sharky points out, I did eat 'em up back in the day, and faithfully saw each of them at their midnight theatrical premiere).

But THE LORD OF THE RINGS films are still much, much better than THE HOBBIT, which is astonishingly awful stuff.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
Moderator
Moderator


Posts : 10600
Member Since : 2011-03-14

PostSubject: Re: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug ::: Dec. 13th, 2013   Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:03 pm

What's so bad about THE HOBBIT (I avoided it on its theatrical run)?
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 2801
Member Since : 2011-08-22

PostSubject: bbit: The Desolation of Smaug ::: Dec. 13th, 2013   Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:08 pm

Largo's Shark wrote:
What's so bad about THE HOBBIT (I avoided it on its theatrical run)?
I did too. I only caught up with it on Blu-Ray a few weeks back.

Magnify everything that's bad about THE LORD OF THE RINGS films by a factor of ten, and then take everything that's good about THE LORD OF THE RINGS films and shrink that down by the same proportion. That's THE HOBBIT.
Back to top Go down
lachesis
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 1586
Member Since : 2011-09-20
Location : Nottingahm, UK

PostSubject: Re: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug ::: Dec. 13th, 2013   Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:04 pm

Harmsway wrote:
Magnify everything that's bad about THE LORD OF THE RINGS films by a factor of ten, and then take everything that's good about THE LORD OF THE RINGS films and shrink that down by the same proportion. That's THE HOBBIT.

Yes this exactly, though I confess I did enjoy the film on balance. The problem is it is often bloated when it most needs to be lean, disjointed when continuity is really needed for us to care etc.

I do think Martin Freeman is terrifc as Bilbo, though sadly - because of the bloatware - the character feels underused. There are some nice guest moments ('Les patterson in the underworld' and golem in particular I enjoyed) but the vast body of the main characters simply don't engage or gel (including all returnees) and too much of the action is undermined by poorly weilded CGI so that none of the battles carry any impact or threat. Even the realiable impressive locales of New Zeland have been smeared under a psudo CGI sheen (or maybe its the digital processing to integrate effects) making it seem overtly unreal and staged.

They had the material and a bit of focus would have produced a terrific single film (maybe even a pair) but the desire to visit the BO 3 times really has spoiled this particular entry imo.
Back to top Go down
Ravenstone
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 1471
Member Since : 2011-03-17
Location : The Gates of Horn and Ivory

PostSubject: Re: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug ::: Dec. 13th, 2013   Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:12 am

I couldn't bear the Lord of the Rings films - bad casting, dire scripting, and just too damn long.  Somehow the Hobbit - despite parts that look like a New Zealand Tourist board advert - are lively and keep moving. 

Martin Freeman is perfect as Bilbo.  Elijah Wood and Ian Holms  pale into insignificance.  Especially Elijah Wood, who was pretty bloody crap, let's be honest.

As for the critics, I don't know what film they were watching.  Sounds like Fellowship of the Ring.
Back to top Go down
Loomis
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 1414
Member Since : 2011-04-12

PostSubject: Re: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug ::: Dec. 13th, 2013   Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:32 am

lachesis wrote:
Harmsway wrote:
Magnify everything that's bad about THE LORD OF THE RINGS films by a factor of ten, and then take everything that's good about THE LORD OF THE RINGS films and shrink that down by the same proportion. That's THE HOBBIT.

Yes this exactly, though I confess I did enjoy the film on balance. The problem is it is often bloated when it most needs to be lean, disjointed when continuity is really needed for us to care etc.

I do think Martin Freeman is terrifc as Bilbo, though sadly - because of the bloatware - the character feels underused. There are some nice guest moments ('Les patterson in the underworld' and golem in particular I enjoyed) but the vast body of the main characters simply don't engage or gel (including all returnees) and too much of the action is undermined by poorly weilded CGI so that none of the battles carry any impact or threat. Even the realiable impressive locales of New Zeland have been smeared under a psudo CGI sheen (or maybe its the digital processing to integrate effects) making it seem overtly unreal and staged.

They had the material and a bit of focus would have produced a terrific single film (maybe even a pair) but the desire to visit the BO 3 times really has spoiled this particular entry imo.

Agree with pretty much every word of your post, lachesis. I found THE HOBBIT a lot more impressive and entertaining than Harmsway's post had led me to expect, although the film is also heavily flawed for the reasons that you cite. The dead hand of THE PHANTOM MENACE hangs over it, and despite all the undoubted advances in special effects technology since the turn of the century THE HOBBIT somehow manages to seem far less visually striking than its predecessors - it doesn't help matters that Jackson's direction often comes across as markedly more televisual than cinematic, particularly during the film's wealth of scenes in which the characters appear to do nothing but talk.

It's still fairly watchable stuff (surprisingly so, perhaps), but the old magic just ain't there any more. The LORD OF THE RINGS films have now shot up in my estimation.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
Moderator
Moderator


Posts : 10600
Member Since : 2011-03-14

PostSubject: Re: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug ::: Dec. 13th, 2013   Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:29 am



Looks better than the last one, but Richard Armitage is still as one-note as ever (sorry, Rave).
Back to top Go down
Ravenstone
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 1471
Member Since : 2011-03-17
Location : The Gates of Horn and Ivory

PostSubject: Re: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug ::: Dec. 13th, 2013   Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:10 am

No you're not.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
Moderator
Moderator


Posts : 10600
Member Since : 2011-03-14

PostSubject: Re: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug ::: Dec. 13th, 2013   Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:13 am

I had to say something to bring you out from your crypt, luv.
Back to top Go down
Ravenstone
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 1471
Member Since : 2011-03-17
Location : The Gates of Horn and Ivory

PostSubject: Re: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug ::: Dec. 13th, 2013   Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:49 am

Lol. Well the dark nights are coming in now, so I should be feeling relatively normal again soon.
Back to top Go down
CJB
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 3783
Member Since : 2011-03-14
Location : 'Straya

PostSubject: Re: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug ::: Dec. 13th, 2013   Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:09 pm

Largo's Shark wrote:

Desolate indeed.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
Moderator
Moderator


Posts : 10600
Member Since : 2011-03-14

PostSubject: Re: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug ::: Dec. 13th, 2013   Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:46 am



Best trailer yet.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug ::: Dec. 13th, 2013   

Back to top Go down
 
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug ::: Dec. 13th, 2013
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bond And Beyond :: Beyond :: Film News & Film Discussion-
Jump to: