These forums may contain mild adult content and are not associated with EON, Sony or any other companies and do not reflect their views.

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

BUG JACK BARRON and other unproduced Harlan Ellison screenplays/teleplays

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
trevanian
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: BUG JACK BARRON and other unproduced Harlan Ellison screenplays/teleplays   Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:55 am

Several new volumes of Ellison work out now, including some that cover most if not all of screenwriting outside of TREK (based on what I read, TIGERS ARE LOOSE is not listed in any of the releases, and that is just as well, as that was maybe the only Ellison script I've ever read that I found utterly worthless, to the point that I can't even tell you what it was about.)

BUG JACK BARRON is the one of real interest for me. Based on a very edgy Norman Spinrad novel, Ellison had adapted this for Costa-Gavras, but then apparently got himself in trouble by publicly mentioning Robert Redford had tried to bribe a copy out of the production office.
http://www.startrek.com/article/exclusive-star-trek-legend-harlan-ellison-part-2
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: BUG JACK BARRON and other unproduced Harlan Ellison screenplays/teleplays   Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:06 pm

I've only read Ellison's I, ROBOT, which I found just okay.
Back to top Go down
trevanian
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: BUG JACK BARRON and other unproduced Harlan Ellison screenplays/teleplays   Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:29 am

I think that one is very ambitious, probably covering too much ground for a single feature.

The one that might be of interest to some folks is FLINTLOCK, his teleplay for what I guess would have been the first episode of an OUR MAN FLINT series. It's syllable-accurate to the way Cobb and Coburn talk, and very much has a THE PRISONER feel, since he spends nearly the whole episode captured and being compelled to talk.. Also has a couple of those impossible 'pull back to infiinity' shots that litter I ROBOT, which again suggests to me that Ellison should have worked with Terry Gilliam.

It might be heresy in some parts, but I think his greatest strength is an essayist rather than a fantasist.
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: BUG JACK BARRON and other unproduced Harlan Ellison screenplays/teleplays   Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:10 am

I've been very eager to read FLINTLOCK.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: BUG JACK BARRON and other unproduced Harlan Ellison screenplays/teleplays   

Back to top Go down

BUG JACK BARRON and other unproduced Harlan Ellison screenplays/teleplays
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bond And Beyond :: Beyond :: Film News & Film Discussion-
Jump to: