More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Why Connery could never have done OHMSS

Go down 
+16
boldfinger
Blunt Instrument
Vesper
Largo's Shark
retrokitty
hegottheboot
General Yuskovich
Fairbairn-Sykes
lachesis
Loomis
CJB
Walecs
Prisoner Monkeys
Makeshift Python
Lazenby.
Moore
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

Why Connery could never have done OHMSS - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why Connery could never have done OHMSS   Why Connery could never have done OHMSS - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 24, 2018 5:30 am

ironpony wrote:
I don't know, it could have for sure, but it still seems like a risk to me.  When an actor becomes difficult to work with, and turns in a not so good performance, and then quits, is it worth risking hiring him back for another movie, hoping he will like it and do good...

Eon would obviously discuss the direction of the film with Connery and they'd sign the contract after he's read the script, I'd imagine.
Back to top Go down
ironpony
Q Branch
Q Branch
ironpony

PostSubject: Re: Why Connery could never have done OHMSS   Why Connery could never have done OHMSS - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 24, 2018 5:49 am

Yeah, they would have probably, but also probably wanted to take some risk assessment in case he became difficult maybe.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Why Connery could never have done OHMSS   Why Connery could never have done OHMSS - Page 3 EmptyThu Jul 26, 2018 1:19 am

ironpony wrote:
I don't know, it could have for sure, but it still seems like a risk to me.  When an actor becomes difficult to work with, and turns in a not so good performance, and then quits, is it worth risking hiring him back for another movie, hoping he will like it and do good...

You don't have to wonder whether or not it would have been a risk to bring Connery back, we saw how his attitude changed by DAF. Despite his apparent weight gain, he appeared far more lively in the role than he did in YOLT. I have to imagine had he worked on OHMSS his enthusiasm would have shown a lot more with the material he'd work with.

But of course for EON it was much cheaper to just hire a non-actor for OHMSS. Connery only came back for DAF because it was practically forced on them by UA making a deal with him, a deal that EON was never willing to go.

Quite ironic. EON now gives Craig higher raises and a producer credit, which is what Connery was demanded around YOLT.
Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: Why Connery could never have done OHMSS   Why Connery could never have done OHMSS - Page 3 EmptySun Jul 29, 2018 11:28 pm

It was still the 60's and actors had only started throwing their weight around with independent production companies and producer credits in the 50's. Many studios/producers/directors still had an old school mentality with actors which is understandable considering the time period, but I don't think Connery was ever going to be asking for more than he deserved and certainly less than what others were achieving at the time.
I do wish Sean would open up on this topic a bit at some point merely for the historical record. You hear differing accounts but I do hate that he and Cubby+Harry got to the point where they felt the need to dissociate.
Plus it can't be easy with Japanese photographers following you into the loo. No one is meant to play the same role indefinitely.

Ultimately: Connery doing wonders in a faithful and accurate OHMSS adaptation? Absolutely.
Back to top Go down
ironpony
Q Branch
Q Branch
ironpony

PostSubject: Re: Why Connery could never have done OHMSS   Why Connery could never have done OHMSS - Page 3 EmptyMon Jul 30, 2018 1:43 am

OHMSS possibly might be my favorite Bond movie, but it's hard to decide on tha cause my least favorite Bond is in it. If my most favorite Bond was in it (Connery), and actually decided to give a good performance, then it would be easier to be my favorite Bond film.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why Connery could never have done OHMSS   Why Connery could never have done OHMSS - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Why Connery could never have done OHMSS
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bond And Beyond :: Bond :: The Bond Films: Reviews, Ratings & Discussion :: On Her Majesty's Secret Service (1969)-
Jump to: