These forums may contain mild adult content and are not associated with EON, Sony or any other companies and do not reflect their views.

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
retrokitty

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:55 am

GeneralGogol wrote:
I've been busy at the Toronto International Film Festival, catching four films including two world premieres. The only Hollywood one of the lot was Richard Shepherd's Dom Hemingway, starring Jude Law as a foul mouthed safecracker free after 12 years in prison. I had a blast watching this - this is easily Law's best role to date. He's worked well in ensemble casts, but rarely as a leading man. Here, he is in nearly every frame of the movie and chews more scenery than in all his previous filmography combined. Richard E. Grant (where has he been last decade or so??) is great as Dom's one-handed sidekick and the other cast members include Demian Bichir as a Russian gangster and Emilia Clarke (Game of Thrones) as Dom's daughter.
I'm just reviewing what's going on for the Vancouver International Film Festival and may stick with mostly documentaries. There are so many that look fascinating.

That Dom Hemingway sounds fantastic though. I've grown to like Jude Law and have always adored Richard E. Grant so I'm likely to get my money's worth.
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:23 am

Largo's Shark wrote:
Why?

I might have liked it if there was 80% more Kurtwood Smith.
While Woo's flourishes are toned down here, there are moments (like the opening boxing match) that crackle, and I enjoy Travolta's hammy performance.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:29 am

Harmsway wrote:
Largo's Shark wrote:
Why?

I might have liked it if there was 80% more Kurtwood Smith.
While Woo's flourishes are toned down here, there are moments (like the opening boxing match) that crackle, and I enjoy Travolta's hammy performance.
I thought the opening boxing match was misjudged. Opens the film with a weight and pomposity that it hasn't earned. I preferred Travolta in FACE-OFF, where there's a real edge and bite to his performance.
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:35 am

The weight and pomposity you speak of is part and parcel of Woo's style. You're free to dislike it, of course, but it's part of what I greatly admire about Woo. He's one of the few directors to see action cinema as being fundamentally spiritual.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:46 pm

Battle Los Angeles - OK, so it's ANOTHER alien invasion flick. But it's action-packed and rattles along at a fair old lick, and at least it being presented almost entirely from the defending soldiers' point-of-view is a little different for this sort of thing.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:58 am

Harmsway wrote:
You're free to dislike it, of course, but it's part of what I greatly admire about Woo. He's one of the few directors to see action cinema as being fundamentally spiritual.
I don't really have a problem with Woo's direction in BROKEN ARROW, though it's a bit less flamboyant than I'd like. What I can't stand is Graham Yost's screenplay.
Back to top Go down
GeneralGogol
Senior Correspondent

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:51 am

retrokitty wrote:
GeneralGogol wrote:
I've been busy at the Toronto International Film Festival, catching four films including two world premieres. The only Hollywood one of the lot was Richard Shepherd's Dom Hemingway, starring Jude Law as a foul mouthed safecracker free after 12 years in prison. I had a blast watching this - this is easily Law's best role to date. He's worked well in ensemble casts, but rarely as a leading man. Here, he is in nearly every frame of the movie and chews more scenery than in all his previous filmography combined. Richard E. Grant (where has he been last decade or so??) is great as Dom's one-handed sidekick and the other cast members include Demian Bichir as a Russian gangster and Emilia Clarke (Game of Thrones) as Dom's daughter.
I'm just reviewing what's going on for the Vancouver International Film Festival and may stick with mostly documentaries. There are so many that look fascinating.

That Dom Hemingway sounds fantastic though.  I've grown to like Jude Law and have always adored Richard E. Grant so I'm likely to get my money's worth.
And if you liked films like The Matador and Sexy Beast, then you'll especially enjoy this one. It will come out only in April 2014 in North America though.
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:14 am

Largo's Shark wrote:
I don't really have a problem with Woo's direction in BROKEN ARROW, though it's a bit less flamboyant than I'd like. What I can't stand is  Graham Yost's screenplay.
It's hackneyed 90s action flick stuff, to be sure. But I like what Woo and Travolta bring to the table enough to enjoy it.
Back to top Go down
Hilly KCMG

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:28 am

Battle of Britain

the aerial scenes maketh the film though it has its dramatic moments such as those involving Christopher Academy Award Winner Plummer (the look of horror as he tries to escape his burning fighter). Battle of Britain Day as it was then fell on a Sunday and as usual it tends to work a film viewing.

Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea

solid fun. Remember as a kid it was scary imagining the world surrounded by flames, the temperatures soaring out of control...Nowadays the science is quite false but the film isn't. Walter Pidgeon makes it and of course it features the late Michael Ansara.
Quite what Frankie Avalon was there for beyond singing the title song remains to be scene. Not a beach in sight.

Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:04 am

CONGO (1995, dir. by Frank Marshall)

What the fuck did I just watch?
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:56 pm

You watched Laura Linney killing giant gorillas with a laser gun. Y'know, run of the mill movie stuff.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:43 pm

Rush - dramatisation of James Hunt's (Chris Hemsworth) and Niki Lauda's (Daniel Bruhl) motor-racing rivalry and subsequent battle for the '76 Formula 1 world championship title. Much is made of Hunt's playboy 'devil-may-careism' against Lauda's staid no-nonsense efficiency, the period is nicely evoked and the race sequences are thrilling.

Not much of a fan of modern Formula 1, but I remember watching it a bit back in the 70s when I was a nipper (and having the Corgi version of the 'John Player Special' car). Hunt may have 'gone' at the all-too-young age of 45 ... but hell, what a life.
Back to top Go down
lachesis
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:33 am

The Brides of Dracula (1960)

Peter Cushing is on great form as Van Helsing and ably supported by a number of very strong roles in support - the film is tight and efficient in getting its story over and has an energetic vibe even by their usual standards. More adventure thriller than 'horror', despite the absence of Lee this is imo on a par with the 1958 Dracula and among the studios very best work.

The blu ray print has a fair amount of film grain visible but is beautifully detailed and rich in colour, Jack Asher's cinematography, Bernard Robinson's set design and Terence Fisher's direction really coming to life after so many dodgy releases in the past.

8/10
Back to top Go down
Hilly KCMG

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:44 am

A Bridge Too Far

Market-Garden's 70th anniversary is next year and it remains one of the great follies of history. So much that could've been sorted out was not, intelligence ignored, ferries unnoticed, fog, the 9th and 10th SS divisions...
...the film remains the best known example of Arnhem on film and does a fairly decent job going so far as to film on location at Nijmegen, Grave, Son, Arnhem etc to lend some authenticity as well as an armada of planes and so forth. Liberties are taken, people omitted and so forth but a decent film.
Key actors tend to be Sean Connery (impeccable as Urquhart), Anthony Hopkins (Frost was meant to hold for four days, in the end he managed six), Max Schell, Hardy Kruger and Gene Hackman ("God Bless Field Marshal Mont-gom-ery!").
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:52 pm

The Dead Zone (1983)

Hadn't seen this one in a decade, so it's about time I revisited it. Walken just makes this work so well. I might check out the TV series someday, but for the moment I'm actually wanting to watch some Cronenberg over the next couple of days. SCANNERS is one I never got to finish.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:10 am

I recommend THE BROOD, as well. Oliver Reed owns the film.
Back to top Go down
Control
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:33 am

Makeshift Python wrote:
The Dead Zone (1983)

Hadn't seen this one in a decade, so it's about time I revisited it. Walken just makes this work so well. I might check out the TV series someday, but for the moment I'm actually wanting to watch some Cronenberg over the next couple of days. SCANNERS is one I never got to finish.
I like it. It's genuinely eerie, mainly due to the cinematography and score. Walken does well, too.

It's somewhat of an underrated King adaptation.
Back to top Go down
trevanian
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:56 pm

Did I mention we rented PHANTOM? Except for one lapse near the climax and the 'use whatever accent you're comfortable with' approach, I really loved it. What I'd call a movie-movie, and it delivered what I wanted, plus more.

I guess that makes OBLIVION an antimovie-movie.
Back to top Go down
Hilly KCMG

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:19 am

Papillon

very impressive performance by Steve McQueen. Really punches on throughout from start to end. Not a bad movie though I suspect a second viewing will really nail it to be sure. Great to see Anthony Zerbe (seems he is always disfigured facially in these films of his) and last but no means least a singular, beautiful soundtrack by Jerry Goldsmith. Allez
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:53 am

INSIDIOUS: CHAPTER 2 (2013, dir. James Wan)

I had a blast with THE CONJURING, which was so entertaining precisely because Wan understood why the old-fashioned horror genre machinery worked to begin with, so I had some interest in this. Can't say it really works on any level, though at least it's gonzo-crazy, which is respectable for a genre where sequel usually means rehash. That said, it seems aimless and slack, with narrative and tonal shifts that seem confused rather than purposeful.

Wan remains a talent worth watching. His direction here, if not always well-calibrated (particularly where the actors are concerned), still shows some good judgment: striking, Bava-esque doses of color and inventive integration of formal choices and narrative situation. If he ever gets a great screenplay, he may just knock it out of the park.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:59 pm

Do want to come off as an arsehole, but could you reply to my latest PM, dr strangelove? Do I have to wait another 7 months? sad
Back to top Go down
Loomis
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:59 pm

DISTRICT 9 (2009, directed by Neill Blomkamp). Rather unpleasant when not merely dull. Only the location feels fresh - this flick travels a fairly well-worn path and does so without the guiding light of solid internal logic.
Back to top Go down
Agent007391
Correspondent
Correspondent

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:48 am

I liked District 9. Even without a sense of internal logic, the movie was entertaining.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:53 am

Decided to finally watch the Rambo films. Not sure why I never got into them, but better late than never I suppose.

First Blood (1982)

Just a really solid thriller. I was always aware it was nothing like the later incarnations and that's what kind of fascinated me enough to see it. I liked it enough to want to see how the series went from psychological action thriller to straight up action cheese that is more reminiscent of COMMANDO.

Rambo: First Blood Part II (1985)

Wow, I loved this. It was probably best that this one would be such a different beast from the last one, just to avoid a retread. Unlike COMMANDO, it doesn't have a lot of the irony and probably for the better. Still entertaining though as a fantasy of being a heroic one man army, rescuing the POWs.

I'll be getting RAMBO III on Thursday. I hear that one is the weakest, hopefully the entertainment value is still there. Like the first two, it's got Jerry Goldsmith, so that should keep things going nicely. Gotta say, I was surprised Goldsmith didn't reuse too much of his work from the first film, as if he was working on a different film with only a few hints here and there. I like that he did that, just to really support the idea that it's a whole different chapter for Rambo.
Back to top Go down
Tubes
Senior Correspondent

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:53 am

I actually prefer RAMBO III to RAMBO: FIRST BLOOD PART II. It's a greasy, delicious multi-tiered cheeseburger in cinema form and arguably the last example of the 80's action movie. I don't exactly hold PART II to high regard when it comes to story and character, so RAMBO III being dumber, cheesier, yet more action packed doesn't bother me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   

Back to top Go down

Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 40Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bond And Beyond :: Beyond :: Film News & Film Discussion-
Jump to: