More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9

Go down 
+35
Makeshift Python
Hilly
Campbell4
Salomé
Largo's Shark
Jack Wade
Blunt Instrument
bitchcraft
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Gravity's Silhouette
boldfinger
Carruthers
Xenia93
Vesper
Moore
Ravenstone
Prisoner Monkeys
General Yuskovich
dr. strangelove
CJB
Tubes
trevanian
Control
GeneralGogol
Agent007391
The White Tuxedo
saint mark
Murdock
retrokitty
HJackson
Fairbairn-Sykes
Santa
Loomis
Harmsway
lachesis
39 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 15 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 33 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Anonymous

Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9 - Page 27 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9 - Page 27 EmptySat Jan 31, 2015 12:58 pm

Blunt Instrument wrote:
Ex Machina - gripping, thought-provoking sci-fi. If you're worried about what ever-advancing artificial intelligence might mean for the fate of the human race, unfortunately this will do little to reassure you.

Saw 'Ex Machina' a week ago. It has an intelligent script, b-movie sensibilities and pubic hair, which makes it my type of film. My main complaint is that the entire thing could be done on stage. Essentially, it's a three-hander.

Oh. Finally finished 'Flight' last night. For years I was obsessed by aviation, but even I couldn't find much to like in this dull and worthy take on alcoholism - I had to digest it in half hour chunks, possibly because Denzil Washington is so singularly uncharismatic. However, Kelly Reilly is as luminescent as usual. She should get a new agent.
Back to top Go down
Xenia93
'R'
'R'
Xenia93

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9 - Page 27 EmptySat Jan 31, 2015 4:14 pm

Kelly Reilly is really great and underused. Not sure I agree about Washington though. I don't think he's an amazing actor but I've always found him to have a nice, commanding screen presence.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9 - Page 27 EmptySat Jan 31, 2015 4:25 pm

Flight stopped halfway through at the cinema when I went to see it ... still hadn't restarted 10 minutes later, so I walked out and got a refund. Wondered since then if it was worth seeing in its entirety, but it doesn't sound like it.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9 - Page 27 EmptySat Jan 31, 2015 6:08 pm

Xenia93 wrote:
Not sure I agree about Washington though. I don't think he's an amazing actor but I've always found him to have a nice, commanding screen presence.

I hadn't seen Washington in anything since 'Training Day' so might have been the character he was playing in 'Flight' more than anything.
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9 - Page 27 EmptySat Jan 31, 2015 10:47 pm

BLACK SEA (2015, dir. Kevin Macdonald)

Efficient, but forgettable.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9 - Page 27 EmptySun Feb 01, 2015 1:19 am

Volver

Interesting look at life and death in this Hitchcockian story. Penelope Cruz is fantastic as always, and interesting that these, I mean she, hasn't appeared in a Bond film.

Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9 - Page 27 001_penelope_cruz_theredlist
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9 - Page 27 EmptySun Feb 01, 2015 4:53 pm

Red Cliff (2008/2009, dir. John Woo)

A breathtaking return to form.
Back to top Go down
dr. strangelove
'R'
'R'
dr. strangelove

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9 - Page 27 EmptyMon Feb 02, 2015 1:14 am

Did you see the International cut, Harms? I hear it's much better than the US version. Been wanting to see that one for a while.

A MOST VIOLENT YEAR (2014)
A superb crime drama. I'm shocked beyond belief that this hasn't garnered more accolades (especially Oscar noms).

Xenia93 wrote:
A MOST VIOLENT YEAR (2014)

Damn good. Oscar Isaac continually proves himself as one of the absolute best young actors.

I agree. Oscar's performance in this is really something special.
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9 - Page 27 EmptyMon Feb 02, 2015 1:42 am

dr. strangelove wrote:
Did you see the International cut, Harms? I hear it's much better than the US version. Been wanting to see that one for a while.
I've seen both cuts. The international two-film version is the best version, but the US cut is still watchable.
Back to top Go down
Xenia93
'R'
'R'
Xenia93

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9 - Page 27 EmptyMon Feb 02, 2015 4:02 am

Erica Ambler wrote:
Xenia93 wrote:
Not sure I agree about Washington though. I don't think he's an amazing actor but I've always found him to have a nice, commanding screen presence.

I hadn't seen Washington in anything since 'Training Day' so might have been the character he was playing in 'Flight' more than anything.

Haven't seen FLIGHT personally. He seems to be less invested in his roles as of late.

Watched FURY tonight. I know some don't care for it, and it's very conventional, but I really liked it. Definitely prefer it to UNBROKEN and AMERICAN SNIPER out of 2014's American war films.
Back to top Go down
lachesis
Head of Station
Head of Station
lachesis

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9 - Page 27 EmptyMon Feb 02, 2015 3:33 pm

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

Reasonable enough film, but one that does beg the question why bother with CGI? In fact, moreso does it even matter that one group is 'Apes' any more? The sci-fi concepts and political satirizing that the original series mined have all but been abandoned to a superficial and generic actioner, replete with teen angst and misunderstandings. Watchable and competent however lacking real teeth or purpose.

6/10
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9 - Page 27 EmptyMon Feb 02, 2015 4:46 pm

Watched The Godfather last week and Part II over the past couple of days.

The opinions of both have changed vastly since I first saw them. This being said when I last watched them around October time I thought Part II were the superior film. And yet this time round I find myself leaning to the first. Both, in this writers humble opinion, are well made films, good acting etc but for some reason the first one edges it this time round. Like Soloman maybe I need to have them sawed in half or something.
I confess that for all in the first film, a favourite scene is Sonny going apeshit on Carlo in the street. His death scene is equally as effective. More's the pity personally he was killed but, such is life, ha.
Part II as powerful though if only Brando had not been an arse and appeared in that cameo scene at the end, just to make it complete as it were.

Soon to launch into what would be only my second viewing of Part III. Can't say it's one I look forward to.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
Loomis
Head of Station
Head of Station
Loomis

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9 - Page 27 EmptyMon Feb 02, 2015 5:06 pm

THE BEACH (2000, directed by Danny Boyle). Fails to truly generate either the thrill of exotic travel or the suspense/horror of paradise-gone-wrong - it sometimes seems little more than a strangely inert drama about nimbyism. On the whole, though, it's watchable enough.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9 - Page 27 EmptyMon Feb 02, 2015 7:26 pm

No Manifesto : A Film About Manic Street Preachers - a stirring, amusing documentary about the brilliant Welsh band (and also a sobering reminder that yesterday saw the 20th anniversary of Richey Edwards' disappearance).

Kingsman : The Secret Service - with all due respect to Matthew Vaughn, it's hard not to think that this is kinda how a Bond movie directed by Tarantino would turn out. Tremendous fun ... if you miss the 'baddie with a world-threatening diabolical plot operating from inside a mountain lair' aspects of 007, look no further.
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9 - Page 27 EmptyMon Feb 02, 2015 9:36 pm

The only thing I remember from "Flight" is the crash scene.

The rest of it seemed grossly overrated.

I would say that "Man on Fire" was the last time I deemed Denzel to be interesting.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9 - Page 27 EmptyMon Feb 02, 2015 11:04 pm

Hilly KCMG wrote:
Watched The Godfather last week and Part II over the past couple of days.

The opinions of both have changed vastly since I first saw them. This being said when I last watched them around October time I thought Part II were the superior film.

Ha I felt similarly… I remember having a conversation with someone and said The Godfather Part II is the only sequel that's better than the first. Then I rewatched them and thought the first Godfather film feels that little bit more complete than the second.

Also think the third film is underrated. Yeah it's not as great as the first two, but it's definitely not bad. If only Sofia wasn't in it...
Back to top Go down
Xenia93
'R'
'R'
Xenia93

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9 - Page 27 EmptyTue Feb 03, 2015 3:46 am

I still have never seen PART III. I'm so leery because I hold the first two in such high regard I don't want anything tarnishing my opinion of them.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9 - Page 27 EmptyTue Feb 03, 2015 3:55 am

Haven't seen III in a long time, but I remember it merely being okay. It doesn't live up to the first two in any sense, but it doesn't damn them either. Coppola regards it as an "epilogue" as opposed to actually being a part of the series as the title suggests.
Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9 - Page 27 EmptyTue Feb 03, 2015 10:10 am

I just finished MAGNOLIA. It's well directed, acted, scored, shot, whatever...But to what end? It worked less as a movie and more as a demo reel for the talent at display. Great talent there is, I just didn't care for whatever the hell PTA was trying to convey. I admire any filmmaker with guts to blow their wad when they're given carte blanche by the studio, even if I don't particularly care for it at the end.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9 - Page 27 EmptyTue Feb 03, 2015 9:50 pm

And I finished Godfather Part III.

On the second viewing it's not a bad film. It lacks what made the first two so great. Maybe being made so long after them doesn't help amongst other things. Sofia Coppola was neither here nor there, she's immaterial. What I did like was the Michael story coming full circle. Gradually bit by bit in this saga he loses everyone and there's a sense of tragedy when he dies, by himself but for his dog, in Sicily after all that's happened.
Other than that...maybe 4 out of 5.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9 - Page 27 EmptyWed Feb 04, 2015 10:13 pm

Late last night or rather wee small hours of the morning, I finished Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

spurred by BBC4's re-run of Smiley's People I dug out the DVD. It's my third viewing as personally this isn't a film you can do many re-runs of. It's not a criticism of the film. Why ruin a good film?
Personally, this is one of the best films of recent years. I've heard people poke holes in it (the IMDB boards on TTSS for example, seem to consist of people who just don't get it) but it's well acted (Gary Oldman is astounding, can do so much by saying nothing...and as only I can phrase it, it looks good. Even the items on a desk in one shot seem perfect -like the book has been imprinted onto the film. The music is as good, not dictating what you think or feel but accentuating the scenes. You could get away with no soundtrack at all really.
And the final scene is a fine way of wrapping it up.

If people's criticism, and yes I know it's IMDB -hardly the Brains Trust- is that it's slow, boring, hard to understand than God forbid we think about films nowadays. Or that a film puts craft in.

Ende.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9 - Page 27 EmptyThu Feb 05, 2015 2:14 am

XXX (2002)

I was cleaning/decorating, so I needed some background noise. This was on Netflix, and I have never seen it. HAHAHAHAHA! This flick is so dated and its attempt at trying to introduce "the secret agent for the new millennium" is just soooo cute, especially in the context of this "start" of a franchise never really becoming a thing. It makes DIE ANOTHER DAY look timeless. The pandering to EXTREEEEME sports and nuMetal kinda takes me back to my teenage years. It's not at all surprising that once Sony had become partners with MGM on Bond, they pretty much gave up on this.
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9 - Page 27 EmptyThu Feb 05, 2015 7:19 am

I still remember reading a review for XXX (or wasn't it xXx?) back when it first came out. The article featured a picture of Van Diesel captioned "fresh" and a picture of Broz-Bond captioned "stale." Basically the review was saying that Ecks Ecks Ecks was going to be the James Bond of the 21st century.

You knew that we were in for a shit century when Von Gasoline was touted as a cultural icon for the times.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9 - Page 27 EmptyThu Feb 05, 2015 9:51 am

The beginning of the movie actually had a James Bond type agent getting killed at a metal concert.

A fun piece of dialogue happened in a scene with Nick Fury

"It's a new world. A new generation. Now, more than ever it's evident that the old ways just don't cut it."

Ten years later we get SKYFALL saying "sometimes the old ways are the best".
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9 - Page 27 EmptyThu Feb 05, 2015 11:36 am

Heh, didn't realise Rammstein was in Ecks x3.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9 - Page 27 Empty

Back to top Go down

Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9
Page 27 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 15 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 33 ... 40  Next